D'Qwell on Cromartie / Bosa

rockywoj

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Jackson should mind his own business.

You should mind your own business about him minding his own business.

He did get asked about it though, it's not like he blatantly said oh hey by the way I think this about bosa. 

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't get the holdout though.  I thought this wasn't supposed to happen now with the rookie slots and stuff.  Does he just not want to play for the Chargers or what?  Otherwise, this is stupid.

This is an owners thing,  not a players thing.

The things that the owners are asking for were not spelled out in the new CBA.

They're asking for the large bonus to be paid out nearly a year after being drafted.    AND,  they're also asking for the off-set language to go in their favor.       And since neither was addressed in the CBA,  both issues have to be negotiated by each team and player.       The owners are asking for both.     Most players are giving one or the other but not both.

Believe me,  this will be addressed in the next CBA.

This is not all Bosa.....

1 hour ago, twfish said:

You should mind your own business about him minding his own business.

He did get asked about it though, it's not like he blatantly said oh hey by the way I think this about bosa. 

What BOTT is driving at though is this: Jackson said that he usually avoids commenting on individual contract negotiations between an athlete & the front office & then he directly flip flops & says "If it were me, I'd tell my agent as a rookie to get me into camp." 

Look, on the surface, that sounds great master your playbook, gel with your teammates, & adjust to the speed of the game at the next level. All valid points. Here's the problem though: It is a private matter that Jackson has no darn business chiming in on at all. When Jackson's contract expires or has only 1 yr left on it, would he be cool with Bosa telling him to accept the 1st offer & just take the deal with no resistance or reservations whatsoever on money he didn't  earn himself? No, I don't think so. 

Just because a person is asked a question, it doesn't mean they are obligated to answer it live on the air TWF. 

Why are people so upset that he gave his opinion on the subject? It's not like he said something like Joey bosa should never play in this league and he is a terrible human being and should be banned from America forever!

He gave his opinion that if it were him, he would just want to be playing football and not messing around so much with the money, seeing as football players get paid crazy amounts of money for playing a game anyways.

Whats a million dollars when you already have 10 milltion more of them in the bank?

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Why are people so upset that he gave his opinion on the subject? It's not like he said something like Joey bosa should never play in this league and he is a terrible human being and should be banned from America forever!

He gave his opinion that if it were him, he would just want to be playing football and not messing around so much with the money, seeing as football players get paid crazy amounts of money for playing a game anyways.

Whats a million dollars when you already have 10 milltion more of them in the bank?

I agree that he was asked a question and he answered it truthfully, nothing in the world wrong with that.

I disagree with idea behind the last sentence.  No matter how much money you have a million dollars is still a million dollars, in your particular example it's 10% which is substantial.

And let's keep it in perspective, Bosa is not asking for more money nor are the Chargers wanting to pay him less, they just want to give him 85% of his signing bonus now and 15% in March 2017, which is pretty standard practice with the new CBA.

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree that he was asked a question and he answered it truthfully, nothing in the world wrong with that.

I disagree with idea behind the last sentence.  No matter how much money you have a million dollars is still a million dollars, in your particular example it's 10% which is substantial.

And let's keep it in perspective, Bosa is not asking for more money nor are the Chargers wanting to pay him less, they just want to give him 85% of his signing bonus now and 15% in March 2017, which is pretty standard practice with the new CBA.

I agree.   Seems to be the smart way to do it.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I respectfully disagree with your take on the money.

$10m is more than 99.999% of the people on earth will earn in their entire lifetimes. Sure $1m more would be an extra 10%, but my point is that it's totally unnecessary.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is an owners thing,  not a players thing.

The things that the owners are asking for were not spelled out in the new CBA.

They're asking for the large bonus to be paid out nearly a year after being drafted.    AND,  they're also asking for the off-set language to go in their favor.       And since neither was addressed in the CBA,  both issues have to be negotiated by each team and player.       The owners are asking for both.     Most players are giving one or the other but not both.

Believe me,  this will be addressed in the next CBA.

This is not all Bosa.....

Hey thanks for filling me in, I was clueless what was going on.  Now tell me this, why isn't anybody else having this problem?  Is it just the Chargers that are playing hardball?  If so that is stupid on their part.

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

I respectfully disagree with your take on the money.

$10m is more than 99.999% of the people on earth will earn in their entire lifetimes. Sure $1m more would be an extra 10%, but my point is that it's totally unnecessary.

So what if it's more than most people will earn in their lifetime?  That has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

It is not for you to decide what is necessary or unnecessary regarding someone else's money.

29 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So what if it's more than most people will earn in their lifetime?  That has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

It is not for you to decide what is necessary or unnecessary regarding someone else's money.

That's true.  Every owner has hundreds times more than most will ever earn in their entire lifetimes, but they're not cutting ticket prices.  Nor should they. 

We have a capitalistic economy, which is the only economic system that has proven to consistently work.

D'Qwell knows nothing about Bosa's personal life nor financial situation, so although he can give his views if he wants to, they are irrelevant, thus better to stay schtum.....but it is not exactly a crime. That said, would he be happy if Bosa saying that smacking a pizza boy was disgusting, and that if I was him, I would have kept my hands to myself? It just opens up a 'pot - kettle' opportunity............

7 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

D'Qwell knows nothing about Bosa's personal life nor financial situation, so although he can give his views if he wants to, they are irrelevant, thus better to stay schtum.....but it is not exactly a crime. That said, would he be happy if Bosa saying that smacking a pizza boy was disgusting, and that if I was him, I would have kept my hands to myself? It just opens up a 'pot - kettle' opportunity............

You bring up a good point.  Everyone on this forum and many other forums had an opinion and voiced(typed) it often regarding DQ and the pizza delivery driver (he was a 42 year old guy not a pizza boy) without knowing anything about the situation, what the pizza delivery guy did or said or what actions he took.  And that was ok, but DQ says what he would do in Bosa's situation after being asked about it and somehow that is wrong?  Nonsense.

And if knowing the full situation of something is what is necessary to talk about something, then this and all forums on the internet are going to dry up and have very few posts and even fewer responses.

11 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't get the holdout though.  I thought this wasn't supposed to happen now with the rookie slots and stuff.  Does he just not want to play for the Chargers or what?  Otherwise, this is stupid.

Article 7 (the Chargers Article I call it) in the CBA was supposed to end the long holdout disputes.  Minor disputes were to be over Offset language and payment schedule of Bonus money (not $ amounts, those are locked in via a formula).  What most find as minor dispute items, Bosa and the Chargers have made into a Volcano.  They could find a middle ground to those two items.

The Chargers are principled and structured (some read that as cheap), and Bosa wants to use contract precedent of other teams at his draft slot as precedent.  Neither will budge (very far) and thus the bitter battle.

You make an interesting point I had not pondered in that Bosa is not what I would call a 5 tech player, but that is what I think he slots in as on the Chargers defense..  Maybe both sides realize to a small degree that marriage isn't as good as it looked earlier in the year... especially now after the holdout.  Either way, they both lose. Especially Bosa, unfortunately.

I don't know if that's equal anyway.  The question was asked to Jackson because he's a long time veteran of the Same Craft Bosa is in. So he said "If it were me" using the mindset of someone who had been there before or seen others go through it in the same field.  Plus I'm sure overall he probably didn't give a darn because he's on another team and doesn't have to interact with Bosa in the locker room.  I'm actually surprised he didn't say " I don't give a darn what happens with his stuff because we play them in week 3" "He can stay gone forever for all I care".

Bosa hypothetically saying something about Dqwells pizza boy incident is not equal to me because they don't have similar experience with the same issue that we are aware of.  Bosa would not know how to relate.  There's no way for him to say "If it were me" based on a similar incident in the past.  So with that he would probably need to be quiet.  Saying something is not illegal by any stretch of the imagination though.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know if that's equal anyway.  The question was asked to Jackson because he's a long time veteran of the Same Craft Bosa is in. So he said "If it were me" using the mindset of someone who had been there before.  Plus I'm sure overall he probably didn't give a darn because he's on another team and doesn't have to interact with Bosa in the locker room.  I'm actually surprised he didn't say " I don't give a darn what happens with his stuff because we play them in week 3" "He can stay gone forever for all I care".

Bosa hypothetically saying something about Dqwells pizza boy incident is not equal to me because they don't have similar experience with the same issue that we are aware of.  Bosa would not know how to relate.  There's no way for him to say "If it were me" based on a similar incident in the past.

You are trying to make this too structured. Has DQ ever been part of a hold out? It's only opinions about stuff, there is no 'form' to go by really. It is not his business, so why say anything. Keep it simple.....

3 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

You are trying to make this too structured. Has DQ ever been part of a hold out? It's only opinions about stuff, there is no 'form' to go by really. It is not his business, so why say anything. Keep it simple.....

What's exactly is the penalty?  Is he going to get a call from Joey Bosa?  Who cares?  This is not drugs or the mafia where "Snitches get Stitches".  The guy simply said "If it were me" speaking only about himself. 

It's really not that big of a deal either way.  Whether he spoke on it or not there's really not going to be much of anything that comes from what he said.  Too much analysis.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Hey thanks for filling me in, I was clueless what was going on.  Now tell me this, why isn't anybody else having this problem?  Is it just the Chargers that are playing hardball?  If so that is stupid on their part.

The negotiations are going on in each case.     Mostly,  the players are caving in.    But they're not happy about it.   And the Chargers position is that ALL of their draft picks have given up on BOTH issues.     Both the delayed bonuses AND the off-set language.       The Chargers have won in each case.      So, they don't understand why they're not winning in this case.

The thing of it is,   that the Chargers have not drafted this high (3rd overall) since the new CBA went into effect in 2011.        So,  they haven't dealt with agents who are tired of losing on both issues.    

Each side feels like they have a strong case.     The situation still favors the team because typically a young player doesn't want to give up a full year of playing and salary.     And to cave in during the season likely means he's not going to be playing either very much,  or very well.      So,  that's a lose-lose scenario.

The kid might want to take a principled stand and sit out the whole year.     But if he does, then (A) he's given up his age 21 year of playing.    (B) He's giving up money for the whole year.    And (C) is he goes back in the draft,  he'll likely fall much farther down in the first round and make even less money,  and (D)   if he's traded next spring,    he's lost that full year of playing (2016)       So,  standing on principle could cost Bosa a lot!

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The negotiations are going on in each case.     Mostly,  the players are caving in.    But they're not happy about it.   And the Chargers position is that ALL of their draft picks have given up on BOTH issues.     Both the delayed bonuses AND the off-set language.       The Chargers have won in each case.      So, they don't understand why they're not winning in this case.

The thing of it is,   that the Chargers have not drafted this high (3rd overall) since the new CBA went into effect in 2011.        So,  they haven't dealt with agents who are tired of losing on both issues.    

Each side feels like they have a strong case.     The situation still favors the team because typically a young player doesn't want to give up a full year of playing and salary.     And to cave in during the season likely means he's not going to be playing either very much,  or very well.      So,  that's a lose-lose scenario.

The kid might want to take a principled stand and sit out the whole year.     But if he does, then (A) he's given up his age 21 year of playing.    (B) He's giving up money for the whole year.    And (C) is he goes back in the draft,  he'll likely fall much farther down in the first round and make even less money,  and (D)   if he's traded next spring,    he's lost that full year of playing (2016)       So,  standing on principle could cost Bosa a lot!

Exactly NCF! 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nicely put sir.

I think when the new CBA is up, which I think happens in 2021,  I believe we're going to have a war.   A possible work stoppage.     I think this will be an issue,  and I think the Commissioner's powers are another HUGE issue for the players.     And they might just be willing to go to war over this.

Players are now openly talking about players saving their money so they're prepared for a work stoppage in '21.   

I think the players feel like they've given up enough and are now getting steam rolled by management.   

It's a LONG TIME before the CBA expires and anything can happen.    But things haven't been this ugly between players and management in decades.    

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think when the new CBA is up, which I think happens in 2021,  I believe we're going to have a war.   A possible work stoppage.     I think this will be an issue,  and I think the Commissioner's powers are another HUGE issue for the players.     And they might just be willing to go to war over this.

Players are now openly talking about players saving their money so they're prepared for a work stoppage in '21.   

I think the players feel like they've given up enough and are now getting steam rolled by management.   

It's a LONG TIME before the CBA expires and anything can happen.    But things haven't been this ugly between players and management in decades.    

The NFLPA better put away a lot of money for the lower paid players during the upcoming loackout / holdout.  If  the lower paid players can't put food on the family table during an extended lockout, they'll lobby the NFLPA to give on some things once they have to stock shelves or flip burgers to make ends meet (yes, mostly a metphor, but to a point).  So owner usually have an advantage there.

9 hours ago, Chucklez said:

My pet peeve with Jackson is that first he said he likes to steer clear of negotiation talks that don't concern him directly & then he plunges right in & does a total reversal on Natl. TV. Was what Jackson said catastrophic? No, but it's not a question of degree; it's a question of don't mess with a man's money, momma, or woman ever & Jackson knows that this is a private matter that doesn't concern him at all. He's smarter than this. 

Who gives a darn how much money is on the table or in a player's bank account? How is that even relevant to this topic? Answer: It's not. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  standing on principle could cost Bosa a lot!

Maybe outside of Philip Rivers & Danny Woodhead Joey Bosa knows the Chargers roster isn't that great, will be last in their division, won't win a Lombardi Trophy anytime soon, & just doesn't wanna play for a less than stellar franchise. 

Okay, I will give TE Antonio Gates some love [respect] too but that's about it. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Knowing Dqwell if it was one of his team mates that he had to deal with on a daily basis he probably would have said "No Comment". 

Teammate or not, Jackson should have said "No Comment" this time too or something like "He's gotta do what's best for him & his family. It's not really something I should elaborate on at length. Thank you." 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Teammate or not, Jackson should have said "No Comment" this time too or something like "He's gotta do what's best for him & his family. It's not really something I should elaborate on at length. Thank you." 

Maybe but I don't think there's much consequence either way on this one.  Bosa won't be calling his phone.  And neither will Bosas mother.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Maybe but I don't think there's much consequence either way on this one.  Bosa won't be calling his phone.  And neither will Bosas mother.

That's not the issue here in my opinion Krunk. This is: Why is a well respected player in the NFL on TV siding with the enemy--the owners in the front office? You never, never give your adversary an opening of legitimacy in their action against one of your own, a fellow player. 

When you weaken your union's position by offering feedback on a potential holdout; you are making your side more vulnerable down the line. JMO.