Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Draft Thread

Reminder: Rude behavior of any kind towards any member of this thread will not be tolerated!!

If you have any questions/comments about next years draft, feel free to comment here!! It will clear up the forums later in the year for when people start talking about it!!! Have Fun!!

Would be nice if somebody/we all made an early watch list of Edge guys, RBs, TEs, and CBs to watch throughout the NCAA season... Going into this season, those look like the biggest needs for Indy. Of course, these things have a way of changing throughout the course of the season. 

There will be an elite talent at RB and probably edge available when Indy picks (hopefully late) in the 1st. One concern that I have is that some of the juniors at these two positions won't declare because they are afraid of being pushed out of the 1st round by all of the other studs coming out. 

I, personally, have my eye on Butt, with the other one pointed right at Chubb... (lolz) 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think RB is going to dominate the fan requests for targets in next year's draft. Watching the Colts run the ball is depressing. They need that RB that defenses are going to have to respect. Fournette or Cooke would be ideal.

You must die lol

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's true. I know everyone is shy about burning a first on one after Richardson but we need an every down guy. I'll gladly take Fournette or Cooke round 1.

I agree... I think that Zeke would be the 6th or 7th RB off the board if he were in the 2017 class... There are around 10 guys that look like first rounders if they all declare... Not that I think 10 will be chosen in the 1st,  but the class is STACKED.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's true. I know everyone is shy about burning a first on one after Richardson but we need an every down guy. I'll gladly take Fournette or Cooke round 1.

Has nothing to do with Richardson.  I was against drafting first rd running backs way before Trent.

15 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I agree... I think that Zeke would be the 6th or 7th RB off the board if he were in the 2017 class... There are around 10 guys that look like first rounders if they all declare... Not that I think 10 will be chosen in the 1st,  but the class is STACKED.

So far I only see 3 first round backs. Mcaffrey is the 3rd depending on how teams feel about him. Fournette and Cook I would take round 1 without hesitation depending on what pass rushers are gone. So far my want list is:

1. Leonard Fournette 

2. Carl Lawson, OLB

3.Dalvin Cook

4. Carlos Watkins, DT/NT

Right now I'd take Fournette over Lawson because he has some injury concerns. But if he can stay relatively healthy and produce I'd consider him over Fournette. But I do like the 2nd and 3rd round backs like Semaje Perrine, Chubb if he returns to form, and James Connor if the cancer didn't take too much out of him. Hell we should draft 2 RBs lol

Also at RB depending on how their seasons go, I could also see a jump in draft stock for Chubb's backup Sony Michel... He is good. I like Perine a lot, he's one of my faves in this class: Tough runner who can catch passes? Sign me up. 

Other guys that I wouldn't mind on the Colts are Freeman (Oregon) or Wayne Gallman (Clemson), although Gallman is kind of thin and tall for a RB. Conner was a beast before all of his health issues. 

Of course, things can change a lot after a season.  I'll be following guys like Jalen Hurd (Tennesee) Elija Hood (North Carolina), and Kareem Hunt (I forget) to see if they can add to the list of RBs who are talented enough to go in the first 50 picks. 

5 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Would be nice if somebody/we all made an early watch list of Edge guys, RBs, TEs, and CBs to watch throughout the NCAA season... Going into this season, those look like the biggest needs for Indy. Of course, these things have a way of changing throughout the course of the season. 

There will be an elite talent at RB and probably edge available when Indy picks (hopefully late) in the 1st. One concern that I have is that some of the juniors at these two positions won't declare because they are afraid of being pushed out of the 1st round by all of the other studs coming out. 

I, personally, have my eye on Butt, with the other one pointed right at Chubb... (lolz) 

I can give you a breakdown of some of the top RB and Edge guys for Colts fans to start off with right now. I picked these guys because they look like system fits for us and are highly successful college players...

RB:

Dalvin Cook, Florida St. - Probable 1st rounder. Very fast and athletic homerun threat. Can catch the ball out of the backfield quite well. Just ok size, not that big but stronger than the typical player his size. Has a little bit of fumble trouble and a few off the field marks, although I'm not sure that the latter is considered that big of a deal.

Wayne Gallman, Clemson - Very good all around football player. He can run the football effectively, catch really well, and has great pass blocking skills for an RB. Kind of lean and lanky for an NFL RB and doesn't have elite explosiveness, but is pretty quick. Potentially slightly fumble prone. Potential 3 down type RB at the NFL level who may be headed for a day 2 selection in a loaded class.

Christian McCaffrey, Stanford - Standout runningback/return man for the Cardinal. Can catch really well, has good quicks to him. Not the bulkiest guy, so you question how effective he'll be in short yardage situations, and he's also not a polished blocker. More athletic guy than he gets credit for, for sure, and can probably be a really strong complimentary back... Jury is out on whether he can really be a bell-cow at the next level though. Hard to guess where his draft stock will be, but you'd imagine he's either a day 1 or day 2 if they had the draft today.

Elijah Hood, North Carolina - Powerful running back who has lead the Tarheels ground attack. Productive and athletic with good size. Difficult to tackle for opponents. Not terribly experienced as a weapon in the passing game, but has caught a few passes. Could get lost in the shuffle in a strong RB class, but looks like a guy who has a chance to find success at the NFL level. 

Edge:

Tim Williams, Alabama - Hyper productive pass rusher for the Crimson Tide. 10.5 sacks last season despite being on the field less than 20% of the snaps. Has tremendous first step quickness and decent overall athleticism. Pretty good length, is fairly lean build, looks like a 3-4 rush LB at the next level. 

Charles Harris, Missouri - The next in line of Missouri edge rushers, after Shane Ray. Had 18.5 TFL last season. Pretty athletic overall, but not terribly big. Looks like a 3-4 rush LB for the NFL. Right now looks like a probable first rounder, although in the NFL draft almost anything can happen. 

D.J. Smoot, Illinois - Senior edge rusher will be coached by Lovie Smith. Had 15 TFL and 8 sacks last season. Very athletic on tape. Should be a pretty good fit in our system as a rush LB, although he has the size and speed combination to appeal to a lot of D coordinators. 

Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss - A junior who may or may not declare for the draft. Has had good success at the college level. Very quick and definitely has athleticism to him. Question is with his size, listed at low 220s? If he can get up into the 230s, he'd be much more appealing to NFL teams in a pass rushing role. 

Deontae Fields, Louisville - Looks like a 3-4 OLB. Has had a very checkered college career due to off the field stuff. It's a serious cloud on his draft stock, but the on the field ability is good enough that teams have to discuss the guy. He can get after the quarterback really well, at least at the college level. 

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So far I only see 3 first round backs. Mcaffrey is the 3rd depending on how teams feel about him. Fournette and Cook I would take round 1 without hesitation depending on what pass rushers are gone. So far my want list is:

1. Leonard Fournette 

2. Carl Lawson, OLB

3.Dalvin Cook

4. Carlos Watkins, DT/NT

Right now I'd take Fournette over Lawson because he has some injury concerns. But if he can stay relatively healthy and produce I'd consider him over Fournette. But I do like the 2nd and 3rd round backs like Semaje Perrine, Chubb if he returns to form, and James Connor if the cancer didn't take too much out of him. Hell we should draft 2 RBs lol

I wouldn't laugh at the idea of drafting two RB's.

When I come out with my first projection of how we should spend our picks,  I've got one going on Day 2, either in the 2nd or 3rd round,  and I prefer the 2nd round.

And then,  I think we should take another bite of the apple in the 6th round.    Some quality back is going to fall.   Perhaps even several quality backs are going to fall.      And I wouldn't mind taking another decent back late in the draft.      RB is a spot where I'd like some young fresh legs.

15 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Reminder: Rude behavior of any kind towards any member of this thread will not be tolerated!!

If you have any questions/comments about next years draft, feel free to comment here!! It will clear up the forums later in the year for when people start talking about it!!! Have Fun!!

I'm not sure if this thread will hold up very long.     The problem is this......     long threads become a problem.   Because you have to scroll forever to find what you're looking for or what interests you.      You've got to wade through a bunch of crap in order to find what you like.       Keeping everything in one thread will have this thread as monster size pretty quickly.      It'll be in the several hundred posts in the next 4 months.    And then, when 2017 comes,   it will jump into the thousands of posts.      That's how much we post on the draft these days.

In the long run,  I think the idea is well intentioned,   but not very practical. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't laugh at the idea of drafting two RB's.

When I come out with my first projection of how we should spend our picks,  I've got one going on Day 2, either in the 2nd or 3rd round,  and I prefer the 2nd round.

And then,  I think we should take another bite of the apple in the 6th round.    Some quality back is going to fall.   Perhaps even several quality backs are going to fall.      And I wouldn't mind taking another decent back late in the draft.      RB is a spot where I'd like some young fresh legs.

I think we have to get one of the big bruising RBs wherever they're available. Someone with exceptional vision. What backs do you like?

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think we have to get one of the big bruising RBs wherever they're available. Someone with exceptional vision. What backs do like

We should tank for Fournette!!! JK! lol. If he's still there when we pick though it's a no-brainer.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think we have to get one of the big bruising RBs wherever they're available. Someone with exceptional vision. What backs do you like?

I haven't started to look yet.    I'll start to look pretty soon and then keep an eye on them as we good forward.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you want a big bruising RB you'll LOVE James Conner. If he's fully recovered I'd love to have him. 

On August 25, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Track Guy said:

I can give you a breakdown of some of the top RB and Edge guys for Colts fans to start off with right now. I picked these guys because they look like system fits for us and are highly successful college players...

RB:

Dalvin Cook, Florida St. - Probable 1st rounder. Very fast and athletic homerun threat. Can catch the ball out of the backfield quite well. Just ok size, not that big but stronger than the typical player his size. Has a little bit of fumble trouble and a few off the field marks, although I'm not sure that the latter is considered that big of a deal.

Wayne Gallman, Clemson - Very good all around football player. He can run the football effectively, catch really well, and has great pass blocking skills for an RB. Kind of lean and lanky for an NFL RB and doesn't have elite explosiveness, but is pretty quick. Potentially slightly fumble prone. Potential 3 down type RB at the NFL level who may be headed for a day 2 selection in a loaded class.

Christian McCaffrey, Stanford - Standout runningback/return man for the Cardinal. Can catch really well, has good quicks to him. Not the bulkiest guy, so you question how effective he'll be in short yardage situations, and he's also not a polished blocker. More athletic guy than he gets credit for, for sure, and can probably be a really strong complimentary back... Jury is out on whether he can really be a bell-cow at the next level though. Hard to guess where his draft stock will be, but you'd imagine he's either a day 1 or day 2 if they had the draft today.

Elijah Hood, North Carolina - Powerful running back who has lead the Tarheels ground attack. Productive and athletic with good size. Difficult to tackle for opponents. Not terribly experienced as a weapon in the passing game, but has caught a few passes. Could get lost in the shuffle in a strong RB class, but looks like a guy who has a chance to find success at the NFL level. 

Edge:

Tim Williams, Alabama - Hyper productive pass rusher for the Crimson Tide. 10.5 sacks last season despite being on the field less than 20% of the snaps. Has tremendous first step quickness and decent overall athleticism. Pretty good length, is fairly lean build, looks like a 3-4 rush LB at the next level. 

Charles Harris, Missouri - The next in line of Missouri edge rushers, after Shane Ray. Had 18.5 TFL last season. Pretty athletic overall, but not terribly big. Looks like a 3-4 rush LB for the NFL. Right now looks like a probable first rounder, although in the NFL draft almost anything can happen. 

D.J. Smoot, Illinois - Senior edge rusher will be coached by Lovie Smith. Had 15 TFL and 8 sacks last season. Very athletic on tape. Should be a pretty good fit in our system as a rush LB, although he has the size and speed combination to appeal to a lot of D coordinators. 

Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss - A junior who may or may not declare for the draft. Has had good success at the college level. Very quick and definitely has athleticism to him. Question is with his size, listed at low 220s? If he can get up into the 230s, he'd be much more appealing to NFL teams in a pass rushing role. 

Deontae Fields, Louisville - Looks like a 3-4 OLB. Has had a very checkered college career due to off the field stuff. It's a serious cloud on his draft stock, but the on the field ability is good enough that teams have to discuss the guy. He can get after the quarterback really well, at least at the college level. 

You don't like Fournette in our system at RB or Carl Lawson at Rush OLB? I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You don't like Fournette in our system at RB or Carl Lawson at Rush OLB? I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

Fournette I was just figuring would likely be gone by the time we picked, unless something happens to him that makes him less attractive to NFL teams. Same reason I didn't bother listing Myles Garrett. 

Carl Lawson could've made the list, the injury stuff is scary too me.

20 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Fournette I was just figuring would likely be gone by the time we picked, unless something happens to him that makes him less attractive to NFL teams. Same reason I didn't bother listing Myles Garrett. 

Carl Lawson could've made the list, the injury stuff is scary too me.

Ah okay. That makes sense. Fournette is probably a top 10 pick and Cooke is probably in that mid-late first round range.

But Lawson could be another Maggitt. Not that he'll go undrafted but injuries could get him pushed down. But would your feelings change if we played all 12 games and stayed healthy? He was getting 2nd round buzz this year before he decided to return.

22 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Fournette is more of a power block scheme runner if you ask me.  He spends too much time dancing around int he backfield when they run zone and the hole isn't immediately obvious.  He reads okay, but it's not where it will need to be at the NFL level.  That's why I think cook would be a much better fit with Indy.

If we took Cook in the first, I wouldn't necessarily be happy with spending a #1 on a RB, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed in it either.  Cook's size is pretty good.  If he could add a few more pounds without losing any speed/agility, he would have pretty much the ideal size for a RB.

20 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Personally, I like the McCaffery fit over Cook and Fournette. He is essentially a running back and slot reciever rolled into one.

He is a capable runner and an excellent reciever. Exactly the kind of piece we need for the Air Coryell type system.

I don't think he's going to be a capable runner between the tackles in the NFL. There's definitely a place for him in the league but not as a lead back. 

I would rather have Joe Mixon than McCaffery at the NFL level. Unfortunately, Mixon is still a year out. That guy will be a better version of Shady McCoy in my opinion.

Outside of Mixon, I like Cook, Chubb (if healthy), and Perine (I really like the OU backfield). I also like the potential of the Penn State running back. His name escapes me now though. There's no reason we can't come away with our starting RB of the future in the next draft.

I saw Chubb play Saturday and he looked fine to me. Had like a 55 yard rushing TD too. So Ill put him on the monitor list. Also with the Smith stuff I think CB is a need. So here's my new list:

1. Fournette

2. Cooke

3.Lawson

5. Carlos Watkins DT/NT

6. Jourdan Lewis, CB

7. Nick Chubb, RB

8. Tre'Davius White, CB

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I saw Chubb play Saturday and he looked fine to me. Had like a 55 yard rushing TD too. So Ill put him on the monitor list. Also with the Smith stuff I think CB is a need. So here's my new list:

1. Fournette

2. Cooke

3.Lawson

5. Carlos Watkins DT/NT

6. Jourdan Lewis, CB

7. Nick Chubb, RB

8. Tre'Davius White, CB

Chubb looked great! Can't believe it to be honest. Maybe a little bit off compared to the beginning of last season but still exceptional. 

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Chubb looked great! Can't believe it to be honest. Maybe a little bit off compared to the beginning of last season but still exceptional. 

I honestly didn't think he could come back. I thought we were looking at the next Marcus Lattimore. Good for him 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a very early dream draft scenario for my beloved Colts...

This is based off that Indy has the 17th overall pick...

-Indy trades 17th pick to Cleveland for their two early 2nd round picks. (Cleveland acquired the Titans 2nd round pick)

Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE): Desmond King, CB, Iowa
Round 2 Pick 2 (CLE): Dawuane Smoot, DE/OLB, Illinois
Round 2 Pick 17: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
Round 3 Pick 17: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, OLB/ILB, Tennessee
Round 4 Pick 17: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
Round 4 Pick 33 (comp for Fleener): Daeshon Hall, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Round 5 Pick 17: Johnathan Ford, FS, Auburn
Round 6 Pick 17: Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida
Round 7 Pick 17: Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA

10 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

No one mentioned Myles Garret.  He seems to be the ideal pick and would improved the Defense tremendously.  He would be infectious on that defense,  leading the pack.

I don't think any of us expect to be picking high enough to get Garret.  

Obviously he would be ideal but the guy is likely going top 5 and if not then top 10.  At this point I don't think we're bad enough to end up picking that high.