Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More crossing routes in Colts offense

RockThatBlue

Crossing routes, bunch formations, anything to allow our speedy WRs to get off the line of scrimmage and operate in space = I am a big, big fan.

Really liked what I saw from the offense in the Ravens game.  And if you, as a defensive coordinator, want to scheme to take away the crossing routes, be prepared for Dorsett, Hilton, and Moncrief to stretch the field vertically.

I've been wishing for crossing routes since 2013, looks like it's finally going to happen, only 3 years late :(

I'm also loving the emphasis on RAC, which is probably why we let Fleener go, dude was horrible at RAC. looking forward to a juggernaut offense showcase this season, Pep's Greatest shoe on turf might actually happen now that he's gone.

Everybody is fast in the NFL so just because a guy runs 4.2 and 4.3 doesn't mean he's just going to run by everyone.  You have to design things that give the receiver(s) natural separation.  Things like play action, crossing routes, bunch and stack formations.  Chud gets it and I'm glad to see he's taking full advantage.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Everybody is fast in the NFL so just because a guy runs 4.2 and 4.3 doesn't mean he's just going to run by everyone.  You have to design things that give the receiver(s) natural separation.  Things like play action, crossing routes, bunch and stack formations.  Chud gets it and I'm glad to see he's taking full advantage.

Very true. The only advantage these days is the offensive player knowing what to do while the defense has to react. If the defensive player can disrupt within that first 5 yards it pretty much equals that out.

While seeing some crossing patterns would be nice I would like to see more timing patterns made.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Very true. The only advantage these days is the offensive player knowing what to do while the defense has to react. If the defensive player can disrupt within that first 5 yards it pretty much equals that out.

While seeing some crossing patterns would be nice I would like to see more timing patterns made.

I don't think we've done much of anything with the playbook in the preseason to be honest.  It's been pretty close to the vest from what I can tell.  To me we've just been trying get continuity on the OL and working on certain things we wanted to emphasize like the screen game, crossing routes etc.  Run game hasn't been that great, but I don't think we've seen much of the plays that we are going to be running the once the season starts. 

It's been much of the same type of runs to see if Ferguson could run inside and what not. Once the regular season starts and the playbook is being used full blown, a full weeks game planning along with actually having Gore and Turbin getting more carries I think things will open up some.  Even if it takes a minute this offense uses the running backs in a way that turns the passing game into another form of the run game so we'll still move the chains regardless I think.   Same for the defense as well. We really have not shown much of what's in the playbook in terms of blitzes, pressure packages, and how we'll rush the passer.  Think that side of the football will start out a little so so because we are missing a bunch of people but once we get them all back or at least some of the key guys I think things will solidify and we'll see a pretty good unit.   I'm really anxious to see if Cromartie has anything left.  If he does then we'll be really good in the secondary when Vontae returns.

Crossing routes are great if you can generate YAC consistently. However, beware of the elite tackling teams in the playoffs.

YAC accounted for about 40% (or more) of the passing yards for the 2009 Colts offense and about 45% of the passing yards for the 2013 Broncos offense both led by Peyton. Then, they met good tackling Ds in the Saints and Seahawks, IMO. The first east-west pass to Demaryius Thomas in the 2013 SB was met by "let me say hello" Kam Chancellor. That is when falling forward needs to be emphasized with the adjustments.

Patriots saw that 2013 Seahawks performance and though the 2014 Seahawks SB squad was more banged up, Josh McDaniels stressed to every pass catcher not to go "east west" vs the Seahawks and gain those precious 1-2 yards by falling forward because the Seahawks are a "great" tackling team. 

Then I would like to borrow a little bit of the Norv Turner and Josh McDaniels play calling to send out RBs in space vs LBs and see if we can win mismatches in the passing game. Do we have such RBs that we can send out on wheel routes and just elude the first LB and get precious YAC or beat LBs down the sideline for a contested catch? The Patriots have made a living out of it when they play teams with aggressive LBs to spread them out by drafting or signing those prototypical pass catching RBs like Kevin Faulk, Shane Vereen, Dion Lewis, James White etc. Norv Turner used a lot of misdirection and pass catching prowess of a guy like Sproles to his advantage. Now, Rivers tries to do the same with Danny Woodhead. That pass catching RB element is something we seriously lack at a high level, IMO. Our saving grace is that Luck can move and evade most 4 man rushes if the OL holds up decently to recognize dumpoffs if the 3 WR coverage is good.

Chud is considered to be a deep ball, long route guy, himself, from what I hear.  But the difference between him and Pep is that Chud understand the NFL better, IMO.  You have to run different things to set up deep ball and long route success.  You can't just keep running them every pass play.

I don't think Pep had the best understanding of the Air Coryal offense.  They ran the West Coast offense at Stanford.  He tried to blend the two together but ultimately it didn't work out.  Having a bad line didn't help matters either, but it's your job as the OC to scheme the offense to fit the circumstances as best you can.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Crossing routes are great if you can generate YAC consistently. However, beware of the elite tackling teams in the playoffs.

YAC accounted for about 40% (or more) of the passing yards for the 2009 Colts offense and about 45% of the passing yards for the 2013 Broncos offense both led by Peyton. Then, they met good tackling Ds in the Saints and Seahawks, IMO. The first east-west pass to Demaryius Thomas in the 2013 SB was met by "let me say hello" Kam Chancellor. That is when falling forward needs to be emphasized with the adjustments.

Patriots saw that 2013 Seahawks performance and though the 2014 Seahawks SB squad was more banged up, Josh McDaniels stressed to every pass catcher not to go "east west" vs the Seahawks and gain those precious 1-2 yards by falling forward because the Seahawks are a "great" tackling team. 

Then I would like to borrow a little bit of the Norv Turner and Josh McDaniels play calling to send out RBs in space vs LBs and see if we can win mismatches in the passing game. Do we have such RBs that we can send out on wheel routes and just elude the first LB and get precious YAC or beat LBs down the sideline for a contested catch? The Patriots have made a living out of it when they play teams with aggressive LBs to spread them out by drafting or signing those prototypical pass catching RBs like Kevin Faulk, Shane Vereen, Dion Lewis, James White etc. Norv Turner used a lot of misdirection and pass catching prowess of a guy like Sproles to his advantage. Now, Rivers tries to do the same with Danny Woodhead. That pass catching RB element is something we seriously lack at a high level, IMO. Our saving grace is that Luck can move and evade most 4 man rushes if the OL holds up decently to recognize dumpoffs if the 3 WR coverage is good.

Good stuff Chad. RB is a likely priority for next season.
 Gonna be interesting this season though! Go Colts!

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

The first east-west pass to Demaryius Thomas in the 2013 SB was met by "let me say hello" Kam Chancellor.

I don't know if you trying to be funny or not Chad, but thank you. 

"Let me say hello" indeed. :scoregood:

What's the blue plate special on the menu tonight? Oh, knock your block off. I'll have a serving of that.