Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's the deal with D'Joun Smith?

BProland85

He hasn't played or been in the discussion for a starting role at all this offseason and training camp, and that to me is crazy especially since Indy is in such dire need for CB help right now due to injuries. Is Smith just another one of those guys who, once arrives to Indy, cannot get healthy? I remember he had all the capability to be one of the better CBs from last year's draft according to Jon Gruden.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

He hasn't played or been in the discussion for a starting role at all this offseason and training camp, and that to me is crazy especially since Indy is in such dire need for CB help right now due to injuries. Is Smith just another one of those guys who, once arrives to Indy, cannot get healthy? I remember he had all the capability to be one of the better CBs from last year's draft according to Jon Gruden.

Lol, that seems to be his 10 minutes of fame, When Gruden showed college film on him while disagreeing with Kiper.

I hope not, but that may  turn out to be the highlight of his career.

I just watched the first half of the Ravens game again.

D'Joun Smith was playing and looked good.

George Bremmer reported:

...That doesn't even take into account situations like second-year cornerback D'Joun Smith's, where the team is trying to balance the need to play and evaluate him against his continuing recovery from a knee injury. He currently is on about a 10-play pitch count, and that could be ramped up as his knee responds.

They never really said what type of injury he had to the knee.  All we know is he had a setback before camp started and has been kind of nursing it ever since.  It's not where he can't play though. They've just been limiting his snaps to around 10.  Played okay against Baltimore for the short time he was in the game.

13 hours ago, krunk said:

He's fine overall.  Just been easing him back into things. There might be an existing issue with the knee but it's not major.  The little I've seen of him he's been okay.

I thought he looked better than he did last year this past game. Didn't noticeably get burned or anything. He didn't play a lot but he didn't look nearly as lost or confused as last year which is good. He definitely needs to step up, hes probably gonna get a decent anount of snaps this year with all the injuries.

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Lol, that seems to be his 10 minutes of fame, When Gruden showed college film on him while disagreeing with Kiper.

I hope not, but that may  turn out to be the highlight of his career.

He's coming back from a knee injury. Do you want to see him week 1 or does he need to prove something in our 2nd presesson game?  .

I for one would rather see him in the real games as opposed to preseason. Let him get healed up let's see what he has week 1. People make too much of preseason. 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

He's coming back from a knee injury. Do you want to see him week 1 or does he need to prove something in our 2nd presesson game?  .

I for one would rather see him in the real games as opposed to preseason. Let him get healed up let's see what he has week 1. People make too much of preseason. 

No, I didn't say I want to see him in preseason game 1,2,3,or 4.

But there seems a lot of people here are expecting and maybe depending on him to be our #2 corner or now #1 corner cause Vontae is out. But the fact is this is his 2nd season without showing nada. He's rarely been seen and when he was seen in last year's tc it was a disaster. Yes we know the cb position is not a easy one to transition to coming out of college but you have to admit it's not looking good.

Maybe he can get healthy and finally show why he was the first draft pick in round 3, I hope so, and we desperately need him to but I'm not holding my breath.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

No, I didn't say I want to see him in preseason game 1,2,3,or 4.

But there seems a lot of people here are expecting and maybe depending on him to be our #2 corner or now #1 corner cause Vontae is out. But the fact is this is his 2nd season without showing nada. He's rarely been seen and when he was seen in last year's tc it was a disaster. Yes we know the cb position is not a easy one to transition to coming out of college but you have to admit it's not looking good.

Maybe he can get healthy and finally show why he was the first draft pick in round 3, I hope so, and we desperately need him to but I'm not holding my breath.

I think he's going to be fine I would rather see him in the slot than Butler. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think he's going to be fine I would rather see him in the slot than Butler. 

Ok, that's fine. But can you enlighten me on why you think he will be fine. What have you seen that makes you think he's better than Butler? Especially since he's rarely been on field. Hopefully he will be as good as Revis but he needs to be playing at some point.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Ok, that's fine. But can you enlighten me on why you think he will be fine. What have you seen that makes you think he's better than Butler? Especially since he's rarely been on field. Hopefully he will be as good as Revis but he needs to be playing at some point.

I think you might play better than Butler did last year and what little I've seen of him this year He gave up a 117 passer rating when targeted in the slot last year.  He could never play outside. We need  an upgrade. I think we got what we could out of him. 

I'm now getting frustrated with Smith. I thought he looked more comfortable vs Ravens and was hoping to see a little more this weekend. i was fine with limited action in the preseason but come he out again. I hope he's ready week 1.