• 12-4
    • 13-3
    • 14-2
    • 15-1
    • 16-0
  2. 2. How Far in the Playoffs?

• Not make playoffs
    • Lose in Wildcard
    • Lose in Divisional Round (First Round Bye)
    • Lose in Divisional Round (Wildcard)
    • Lose in Conference Championship (First Round Bye)
    • Lose in Conference Championship (Wildcard)
    • Lose in Super Bowl (First Round Bye)
    • Lose in Super Bowl (Wildcard)
    • Win Super Bowl (First Round Bye)
    • Win Super Bowl (Wildcard)

I'm going 10-6, win AFC South, win home wildcard playoff game (over Broncos or Chiefs?), then lose on the road in either Pitt or N.E. (again).  But I'm not of the opinion this is the Colts' year.  I look at this year as a stepping-stone to 2017 where I think they could do some REAL playoff damage after a defensive-heavy draft and FA period.

Having said that, I will certainly be watching every week and hoping down the road I have severely undersold this team.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9-7 and a division loss. No Vontae will cost us a game in the first month, either against the Broncos or the Jaguars. Demaryius Thomas was shut down by Vontae, now he's going to beat us up, Allen Robinson would of been shut down, now he'll have a field day. In high scoring games, they just got the extra edge they needed. As far as the playoffs go, the Colts match up poorly vs most of the playoff teams. They can beat the Ravens and Bengals, but they match up poorly vs the chiefs and steelers, and horrible vs the pats. Broncos are really a wash IMO, I'm not convinced we can beat them consistently. We'll face a bad matchup and lose the divisional matchup, and we could even lose to the Ravens or Bengals in a close matchup. 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They can beat the Ravens and Bengals, but they match up poorly vs the chiefs and steelers, and horrible vs the pats.

I agree with the bulk of what you said here except underperforming against the Chiefs. Yeah, I know Jamaal Charles is a top notch back & Justin Houston & Tamba Hali are great LBs but, QB Alex Smith is such an overrated wuss field general to me that I don't see the Chiefs as a post season juggernaut at all. 

Everything else you said was 100% accurate though Jared. 

"Great googley moogley" Snickers joke reference. The Chefs don't scare me 1 bit. 

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I agree with the bulk of what you said here except underperforming against the Chiefs. Yeah, I know Jamaal Charles is a top notch back & Justin Houston & Tamba Hali are great LBs but, QB Alex Smith is such an overrated wuss field general to me that I don't see the Chiefs as a post season juggernaut at all. 

Everything else you said was 100% accurate though Jared. 

"Great googley moogley" Snickers joke reference. The Chefs don't scare me 1 bit. 

My reasoning for the poor matchup against the chiefs is that they can run time off the clock, alex smith can run the dinks and dunks vs us, and they have fast, shifty, receivers that can really make our defense suffer. It's like a better Jets offense and defense with a more aggressive pass rush. We may match up better this year with Anderson, Langford, and the O-Line, but until proven, it's a bad matchup to me. It's personal opinion, of course.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My reasoning for the poor matchup against the chiefs is that they can run time off the clock, alex smith can run the dinks and dunks vs us, and they have fast, shifty, receivers that can really make our defense suffer. It's like a better Jets offense and defense with a more aggressive pass rush. We may match up better this year with Anderson, Langford, and the O-Line, but until proven, it's a bad matchup to me. It's personal opinion, of course.

I will agree that if INDY can't stop Charles on the ground we're toast. I wonder how good TE Travis Kelce is though? I don't watch KC games like ever, but is he a poor man's Tony Gonzales? I doubt it & Smith's dink & dunk style is tailored for TEs IMO. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I will agree that if INDY can't stop Charles on the ground we're toast. I wonder how good TE Travis Kelce is though? I don't watch KC games like ever, but is he a poor man's Tony Gonzales? I doubt it & Smith's dink & dunk style is tailored for TEs IMO. 

Kelce is very talented, he's what Coby Fleener was supposed to be, IMO, a big TE that has agility and can barrel down defensivemen. He isn't the only weapon as Charles can catch it and Maclin is there along with a couple other guys I'm forgetting about. 

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

A healthy Luck will account for 2 more losses?

Harder schedule and better rosters. Everything doesn't stay the same as the year before. We always overachieve like last year beating teams with a 40 year old backup quarterback. I predict this is the year that changes.

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

9-7 and a division loss. No Vontae will cost us a game in the first month, either against the Broncos or the Jaguars. Demaryius Thomas was shut down by Vontae, now he's going to beat us up, Allen Robinson would of been shut down, now he'll have a field day. In high scoring games, they just got the extra edge they needed. As far as the playoffs go, the Colts match up poorly vs most of the playoff teams. They can beat the Ravens and Bengals, but they match up poorly vs the chiefs and steelers, and horrible vs the pats. Broncos are really a wash IMO, I'm not convinced we can beat them consistently. We'll face a bad matchup and lose the divisional matchup, and we could even lose to the Ravens or Bengals in a close matchup. 

Chiefs haven't beat us since George Washington was president.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chiefs haven't beat us since George Washington was president.

Chiefs were ahead of us by 4 tds in the playoffs last time we played. It took Charles, Knile Davis, Justin Houston, Brandon Flowers, and other injuries along with a ton of luck for us to come back and win that game. We match up horrible vs them. They won't win a SB, but they can beat us a good amount of the time.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Kelce is very talented, he's what Coby Fleener was supposed to be, IMO, a big TE that has agility and can barrel down defensivemen. He isn't the only weapon as Charles can catch it and Maclin is there along with a couple other guys I'm forgetting about. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jeremy Maclin reuniting with Andy Reid from his Philly days. Whoa...That does change things in terms of speed & great hands. Alright, I see value in siding with KC now, but I still like Derek Carr, Khalil Mack, & Jack Del Rio running the show in Oakland better to win the AFC West. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jeremy Maclin reuniting with Andy Reid from his Philly days. Whoa...That does change things in terms of speed & great hands. Alright, I see value in siding with KC now, but I still like Derek Carr, Khalil Mack, & Jack Del Rio running the show in Oakland better to win the AFC West. 

They will win the AFC West but I wouldn't fear playing them in the Playoffs. Andrew will take care of them. Patriots and Steelers scare me much more.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They will win the AFC West but I wouldn't fear playing them in the Playoffs. Andrew will take care of them. Patriots and Steelers scare me much more.

You're probably right CBE. I just want the Black Hole to do well since they haven't been relevant since 2002. 

Andy's a darn good coach & besides talking about the arrowhead gang gives me a perfect opportunity to post this side by side coach/baby picture that always cracks me up. haha

0b6b865c9157fb1c081b87ab082a70e4.jpg

Nice talking with you Jared. Great points as always. You defend your positions very well & I appreciate the additional commentary on TE Travis Kelce too. And I think we can all agree, that the Broncos won't have a snowballs chance in hades in winning the division this yr. Not with Sanchez under center. 

43 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

the Broncos won't have a snowballs chance in hades in winning the division this yr. Not with Sanchez under center. 

Speaking of Mile High, I did watch QB Trevor Siemian in a little preseason action & Elway & Kubiak are right. Trevor has shown some decent flashes of solid QB play. I know; I know. He's not going up against 1st team regular season secondaries yet, but he throws a nice ball. 

When John said that Siemian was legitimately competing for the position, I thought he was blowing smoke up my caboose, but I do see sparks of what #7 was referring to even in small doses. 

Given the spelling of Trevor's last name, I keep waiting for a TV booth broadcaster to say well you know what by accident & then the league gets an angry response from parents with small children who repeat what sounds like crude language out loud. Translation: Mis pronouncing his last name into something not originally intended. Enough said. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chiefs were ahead of us by 4 tds in the playoffs last time we played. It took Charles, Knile Davis, Justin Houston, Brandon Flowers, and other injuries along with a ton of luck for us to come back and win that game. We match up horrible vs them. They won't win a SB, but they can beat us a good amount of the time.

We've owned the Chiefs for the most part recently. I'm not gonna worry too much about them until they do beat us. 

On 8/23/2016 at 11:07 AM, CoachLite said:

I tried to be realistic at 9-7, but most fans will call me a pessimist. There are still some "structural issues" that have me concerned. Every team has injuries, but it remains to be seen how the Colts will respond, as a team, to injuries. We'll see.

What team don't have structural issues. Our defense will be much better than most think and it won't have to be great with our offense. 

I'm going with 12-4 and I thinks that's pessimistic. I'm looking for really big year out of Luck. Our o-line will be much better and Luck has been working on getting rid of the ball quicker. We got some awesome receivers and a running back I feel will get over a thousand yards with a better o-line. Our defense will be a lot better than ppl think but it won't have to be awesome. Will get Davis back along with Art Jones and Henry Anderson. I really like Kendall Lankford, So when get some guys off injuries will have some really good depth. I know this is contingent on others getting injured but were no different than any other team in that regard believe it or not.   

On August 23, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm expecting 9-7 at best...but 8-8 or even 7-9 wouldn't surprise me either.   No playoffs for us  as I think the team's defensive deficiencies and our offense's propensity for shooting itself in the foot with stupid penalties will be enough to neutralize any perceived advantages we have on the offensive side of the ball.  I don't see this Colts team faring any better against Pittsburgh or any elite offensive team.  Defense still will be suspect and vulnerable to well balanced offensive attacks led by competent to good QB's and a solid running game.  Those type of offenses will name their score against us...some weeks Luck will keep pace other weeks such as Steelers' week...it will just be way too much to overcome. 

you came to that conclusion about the offense after two preseason games?

On August 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Justin Houston missed one snap in that game.

Brandon Flowers wasn't good anyway.

Davis and Charles?  Who cares...the walrus stopped running the ball like he always does.

the Chiefs lost because the couldn't stop the colts, stopped running the ball, and their QB doesn't make enough plays that matter.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Justin Houston missed one snap in that game.

Brandon Flowers wasn't good anyway.

Davis and Charles?  Who cares...the walrus stopped running the ball like he always does.

the Chiefs lost because the couldn't stop the colts, stopped running the ball, and their QB doesn't make enough plays that matter.

Leave it to Alex Smith to blow a 28 point lead. We actually had the better team anyway but played a horrible first half. Had we lost that game that would've been real disappointing, I can understand losing in Foxboro.

49 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I do have to keep reminding myself of that too BOTT. It's hard to draw any conclusions based on limited action against the Ravens. I like Turbin, but I'm still concerned about our ground game though. I watch the Seahawks & darn they look sharp running the ball under Thomas Rawls & then I watch INDY & I am not overjoyed. 

I have confidence in Joe Philbin & I love to see Luck sliding sure, but I want a better infantry assault on the ground then I am seeing just to preserve Andrew's health. 

PS Brian Schottenheimer drill into Andrew's head not to tackle either a safety or CB like a LB whenever he throws a pick too. I cringe every darn time Chewbacca does this. Hades, don't ever run after the opposing ball carrier let it go...Don't even jog after it man. 

18 hours ago, BOTT said:

Unfortunately no...the offense did a pretty good job shooting themselves in the foot with penalties last season as well. Particularly the O-line.  Do you not recall that...it was only a season ago.  The 2 preseason games just has shown me very little to alleviate my pre-existing concerns with that.

47 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Unfortunately no...the offense did a pretty good job shooting themselves in the foot with penalties last season as well. Particularly the O-line.  Do you not recall that...it was only a season ago.  The 2 preseason games just has shown me very little to alleviate my pre-existing concerns with that.

I recall it just fine.  I also know,they have a slew of new coaches who tend to effect things like that.

On 8/23/2016 at 10:35 AM, krunk said:

You don't even know where the pass rush is at. Everything is so basic in the preseason.  It's just hard to tell.  The Jets had the number one defense in the league a couple years ago under Rex Ryan and Pettine and the top sacker on that team had 8 sacks total.  Everything else they did was through the blitz and other avenues. I'm going to see what Monachino does with his pressure packages, stunts, twists and everything else before I say we can't pressure the QB.  Plus I like Okine and Maggitt to go along with Mathis and Cole. We've also got linebackers that are more than adequate at blitzing.  I'm not conceding that we can't pressure the QB.  I believe we can.

Thank you!!!! Someone that has some perspective and understanding. And we're also gonna be getting Langford and Anderson back sooner rather than later, so that should help us.

On 8/23/2016 at 7:21 PM, Bogie said:

7-9

They will struggle right out the gate as they did last year, then win some games before getting blown to pieces by far superior teams (Houston, Pittsburgh). Luck will have a tough time like the previous year, running the same one dimensional passing attack with no run game to help him out. There will be some ugly games where the deep balls don't work and the blitzes will be heavy like last year. The defense looks even worse, and nothing was done during the off season to improve on that side of the ball. 

Houston has it made this year to win the division even if it's at 9-7 again. They're the only team in the AFC South that has a defense built to stop points from going up on the board and give quarterbacks a hard time. This could finally be the year they sweep the Colts, considering that they did win in Indy last year. 

haha since when does Houston have it made??? You mean the team that STRUGGLED to beat a Colts team with No luck and virtually no offense leading to a defense that just got worn down. The Colts were right on thier tail last year despite our issues. And they have to hope Watt comes back fully healthy and can stay healthy, cause without him...that defense is avg. 

And where do you know the same struggles will occur as last year??? Did you forget we have a competent Offensive coordinator who's now fully implemented HIS offense to run. And did you not see how it looked for the first 2 drives against Baltimore? And our D looks worse based off pre season where we are missing multiple starters, Mathis has barely played, and there has been no game planning or scheming done at all so far. And if we're gonna say that based off pre season, then have you seen what Houston's defense has given up so far?Almost 400 rush yards!!! Ohh and they just lost their starting Center in Martin.

16 hours ago, BOTT said:

I recall it just fine.  I also know,they have a slew of new coaches who tend to effect things like that.

Well that's all fine and dandy but they aren't off to a good start on that front.  They will need to be better.  I need to see it done...tending to effect things isn't enough to change my opinion when it's based on a preexisting problem that I've already seen and which has shown no signs of improvement in the 2 preseason games played thus far.  This week should be a good gauge as the starting offense will be in there much longer.  Hopefully, they can tidy that up and get a handle on the penalties.  Our defensive shortcomings doesn't give our offense the luxury of inadvertently sabotaging their own drives.

9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Some people are forgeting that all teams have positions of weakness. It is not exclusive to the Colts. And with a bit of luck, our Offense could be magical. 12-4.

This. People need to realize that every single team is NOT going to get better compared to last year. Some teams will drop off. Other teams with high expectations won't live up to them. It's the nature of the NFL.

Colts will win 12/13 games. The defense will be better than many expect and Andrew will have an MVP caliber season behind a much improved offensive line.

Typically, the third preseason game involves some minor game planning and serves as something of a dress rehearsal for the regular season.

But Chudzinski said the offense won't come close to revealing its full bag of tricks.

"Really sometimes, as much as anything, you're trying to put guys in certain positions to find out what they can do," he said. "Like a Ryan Kelly, for example, seeing what he can do in terms of some of the runs or some of the situations he might be in. Sometimes you put a receiver in a position where you're throwing a ball or a certain ball that you want to see those individuals. So it is definitely a balance. I wouldn't say that what we're doing this week is necessarily what you're going to see in the regular season."http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/colts/colts-notebook-chud-pleased-with-luck-s-first-look/article_93e378f2-6a43-11e6-85e4-17000e14bab2.html

So I guess what he mentions above is why we have been running Ferguson inside.  Just to see if he is able to do so.

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I said 10-6 but not sure why

I did too and I'm not totally sure why either.  I think it just goes back to recent history.  This team has not had back-to-back bad seasons since Peyton Manning arrived, and the only years they did poorly since his rookie year were due to injuries.  I'm just betting this is their bounce back year, and in each of those seasons they won double digits.  So I guess that's my biggest reason for picking 10 wins.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, AZColt11 said:

I'm going 10-6, win AFC South, win home wildcard playoff game (over Broncos or Chiefs?), then lose on the road in either Pitt or N.E. (again).  But I'm not of the opinion this is the Colts' year.  I look at this year as a stepping-stone to 2017 where I think they could do some REAL playoff damage after a defensive-heavy draft and FA period.

Having said that, I will certainly be watching every week and hoping down the road I have severely undersold this team.

I also have 10-6 but have us making the Championship Game. Of course we have to be healthy on Defense at the end of the season to have a nice run in the Playoffs and Andrew has to be healthy, so health is obviously huge with any predictions. I think this is the season the Patriots fail to make the Championship Game. They have made it 5 seasons in a row so law of averages says that will end sometime. I still like the Steelers in the AFC because I think once Bell gets back and if they can stay healthy they will be a tough out in the Playoffs. They may start slow though but it's how you finish that counts. Big Ben is a Top 5 QB so that in itself gives them a chance to go to the SB, their Defense is capable of playing good too. Brown is the Best WR in Football as well. Andrew is Top 7 so that in itself will give us a good shot at winning the Division. It takes at least Good Defense to get to the SB though so I wont be bold and pick us to do that.

Well, let us look at the schedule.

vs Lions W, at Broncos L, vs Chargers W, at Jags L, vs Bears W, at Texans L, at Titans L, vs Chiefs L, at Packers L, vs Titans W, vs Steelers L, at Jets L, vs Texans W, at Vikings L, at Raiders L, vs Jags W.

I gave us a home/away split with the AFC South which is not unreasonable any more.

We will probably get an unexpected W here or there as well as an unexpected L...they should even out.

This ends up at 6-10.

If the Lions outscore us in game 1 and the Chargers have a good game against us, we are in real trouble (we will be picking very high in the draft next year).

I think old Bill Polian (minus Crissy) could have done a better job of building a team around Andrew from day 1.....sad.

So many injuries and Mewhort done for the season. Looks like another bad OL. No running game. Looks like 9-7 and that's generous tbh.7-9 is the floor IMO. No CBs or pass rush is going to get us lit up. Luck might miss a game or 2 as well. Took 3 sacks against the Eagles, so teams like Detroit or Denver are going to feast.