Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis to miss the first month of the season

snkdy

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

So...... if your Grigson, even though you've signed AC, do you think about trading for another CB?

Possibly,  I think it's his job to look at all of his options to make the team better.  Trades, released players, whatever.  Not just CB but any position.  I think we have an extra pick this year for Fleener.  I would bet he's always looking at rosters for potential acquisitions. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about this "Vontae" thread is you guys act like we've never lost Vontae Davis to injury before.   We've lost him for multiple games in one season.  I remember this clearly.  It was around his 1st or 2nd year with the team.  He got hurt in the Tennessee game and didn't come back until a couple games later. We still won games and the team was worse at that time.  Now you all are acting like the whole season is lost because he'll be gone for roughly a month.  Football Fans...

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So we face the Lions, Broncos, Chargers and Jaguars in the 1st four weeks. We'll be lucky to go 2-2 without Vontae, Stafford, Rivers, and Bortles will pass all over us, and the Broncos can beat us now. We may go 0-4 the first 4 weeks if we're unlucky (2-2 at best).

Really POed now. Stuff like this ruins the season. Every year we either get a major injury to someone, or a collection of players getting hurt severely weakens the team. We must have the worst conditioning staff in the NFL.

I'm not worried about Bortles but he does have some good receivers. 

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

I want to be optimistic, but this hurts worse than just a team losing a good player.   Of all the positions that the Colts could not afford to lose a guy, this is the one (besides QB of course).   6 of the 11 defensive starters are dealing with injuries and the Colts were not deep defensively at most of these spots.

A potent offense could alleviate some of the pressure, but I tend to agree with the poster who is hoping we come out of the first 4 games at 2-2.

Who knows, maybe someone will step up.   But with Monachino stating that he wants an attacking defense, losing Davis isn't a good start.  

I'm hoping we come out 4-0 personally. But what I hope for is 100% irrelevant. So who cares.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

So...... if your Grigson, even though you've signed AC, do you think about trading for another CB?

I think if you can get a legit talent, you might, but I can't imagine a real talent is actually available at CB anywhere.  I was listening to NFL talk show on XM and they were talking about all the teams desperate for an OT and there are none to be found on any team.  They said not a single team has 4 tackles.  Perhaps they meant veterans, but we have 4 tackles.  Though I don't want to trade one of them, IF we have no other choice, perhaps the weaker of the two rookie tackles could be trade bait.  I think both will be starters in their near future, but of course right now they are raw.  Haeg seems like the most ready of the two (not sure his injury status). Is there anyone who would trade Haeg to someone for a starting #2 CB (plus maybe a draft pick from us depending on how good the CB is)?  I am not sure I would, but I also don't know what other in demand trade bait we have?  Just tossing it out there.  They were trying to find a tackle for the Giants and they said they looked at every roster in the league and there wasn't one anywhere for them to get and that Jake Long was the only RT out there to get.  I have to think they weren't considering Rookies, but who else do we have to trade and which area are we worse off in?  I have a feeling Davis is out until mid season at best. I hope I am wrong. 

Vontae played a total of 10 games during the 2012 season so we lost him for 6 games.  Still made the playoffs.  Easier schedule then, but my point is we can play well even if he's not here.  Will it be the same? No but his loss does not conclude that we won't win.

Please understand this is going to be a really good offense we have.  I expect the running game to be a lot better with game planning and Gore toting the rock.  Plus Chuds scheme is versatile.  Even if the running game is shut down he's got plenty of plays in this offense that can make a running game out of the passing game. There's a ton of screens and other plays that we can do through the air with the backs that can move the chains in similar fashion.     I expect the offense to assist the defense quite a bit.

53 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Cromartie was a flop last year. He has 15, that's fifteen kids. Both of his hips are in question. Another waste of money but then someone has to pay his child support..

Cromartie was playing for a new DC last year and it showed, he's coming back to the same defensive philosophies that he thrived under in 2014. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.

6 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Cromartie was playing for a new DC last year and it showed, he's coming back to the same defensive philosophies that he thrived under in 2014. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.

I don't think it was vastly different.  Todd Bowles was his DC in Arizona and his head coach in New York.  Might have been a different DC but I'm sure the defensive principles were very similar to what they played in Arizona.  I just think he'll play better because he won't have those hip and groin injuries to deal with.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Cromartie was a flop last year. He has 15, that's fifteen kids. Both of his hips are in question. Another waste of money but then someone has to pay his child support..

Is he asking you to take care of any of his 15 kids?  Is anyone trying to jail him up for not taking care of said kids?  Who cares how many kids he has because he does this thing called "Take care of them".

Tony Dungy has 10 Kids but we never hear any remarks about his.  I like that Tony is married, but that's beside the point.  Who cares how many kids one has if they are taken care of by the individuals who created them?

Dear crystal ball, who will win the SB this year please? Thrill me with your acumen.....

That was the only year he was a flop. He's been solid to pro bowler the 8 years before that. I thought he was a guy who could be had cheap that might bounce back. He was a good signIng could be a very good one.

Watch much football or just read the enquirer? Your post seems like you want to point out the dude has 15 kids. Noted dude has 15 kids not sure why you care unless he's asking you to babysit. Look at it this way he can help at CB and put butts in the seats win win 

By the way he has 12 kids.  LOL

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Vontae played a total of 10 games during the 2012 season so we lost him for 6 games.  Still made the playoffs.  Easier schedule then, but my point is we can play well even if he's not here.  Will it be the same? No but his loss does not conclude that we won't win.

We aren't totally bare at CB. Robinson Smith Mitchel add Cromartie in there. We probably keep Butler too but I'd be happier with Brown or anyone. Those are the guys we are looking at. It could be worse. 

It's time to toss Smith in there and see if he sinks or swims. If he's a swimmer we are ok we need him to at least float. 

8 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We aren't totally bare at CB. Robinson Smith Mitchel add Cromartie in there. We probably keep Butler too but I'd be happier with Brown or anyone. Those are the guys we are looking at. It could be worse. 

It's time to toss Smith in there and see if he sinks or swims. If he's a swimmer we are ok we need him to at least float. 

I think Smith and Mitchel will float. Smith made some solid tackles in that Baltimore game and I never saw him or Mitchel get burnt.  There's just no reason to abandon ship and think we are doomed.  Plus I think from what I've seen so far I think Monachinos scheme will be sound.  He designs things well.  It's going to be a good team defense and guys will be on the same page. And if Cromartie plays like the Cromartie we all know then I'll be even more happy when Vontae comes back because then we can move Robinson in the slot. I'm optimistic good things will happen.

what does this have to do with his performance on the foot ball field? And what's it to you how many kids he has or doesnt have? It's his business, not yours.  It's not like hes going around raping women

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Smith and Mitchel will float. Smith made some solid tackles in that Baltimore game and I never saw him or Mitchel get burnt.  There's just no reason to abandon ship and think we are doomed.  Plus I think from what I've seen so far I think Monachinos scheme will be sound.  He designs things well.  It's going to be a good team defense and guys will be on the same page. And if Cromartie plays like the Cromartie we all know then I'll be even more happy when Vontae comes back because then we can move Robinson in the slot. I'm optimistic good things will happen.

I feel the same way. People are wanting to go looking for trades or wave the white flag. I think we have some young guys that can play and a unified more competant staff. Let's eat some Lion get this thing going. Seriously it feels different. I think getting put in check last year helps this team too

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

I feel the same way. People are wanting to go looking for trades or wave the white flag. I think we have some young guys that can play and a unified more competant staff. Let's eat some Lion get this thing going. Seriously it feels different. I think getting put in check last year helps this team too

I'm ready to hunt!  I see some good things on the horizon,  might be a little adversity but when it's time people are going to see.

22 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Also love the depth of our D line.  Even the backups are competent.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

And even some of those good receivers may get gimped up as well.....not a stretch, is it really?

If he can't get them the ball yes, He still hasn't showed me anything on a consistent basis to say I'm worried about him against us. I think he's way overrated based on the fact he hasn't been consistent yet.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

What does how many kids he has have to do with playing football? As far as I know he takes care of his kids so you being negative about it is your personal problem. As far as his hips I think he did have to pass a physical before the Colts signed him. I know they worked him out before they signed him.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

I took this as a joke.   After 15 kids his hips are in question.  :lol:

I think we can beat all of them.  Chargers game may be the toughest just because of the history.  Phillip Rivers knows Chuds offense so I'm sure he'll pass along a lot of keys.    If we lose any of what you listed it will likely be to the Chargers.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I'm not worried about Bortles but he does have some good receivers. 

Can Bortles get better than his first two seasons? Many quarterbacks in the past have, and their third year is when they’ve done it, including Andrew Luck.  Peyton Manning’s third season saw a jump from 26 touchdowns in each of his first two seasons to 33 touchdowns. Matthew Stafford, while only starting 13 games combined in his first two seasons, increased his completion percentage by almost five percentage points and threw for more than 5,000 yards with 41 touchdowns in his third year. Even Philip Rivers, who started as Drew Brees’ backup, completed 65 percent of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 34 touchdowns in his third full year as starter. Andrew Luck improved over his first two years to throw 4750 yards with 40 TD's to 18 Int's.

Bortles can improve in his 3rd year as well.  Even if he maintains, his season last year of 4,400 + yards with 35 TD's and 18 Int's was quite good.  He has excellent targets (many say his group is better thans Luck's at this point).  He does need to improve accuracy and completion %. I think Carr will breakout next year toward upper echelon and Bortles will raise his game a notch over last year, but still be in Carr's shadow. However, he shouldn't be overlooked.

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

And even some of those good receivers may get gimped up as well.....not a stretch, is it really?

Injuries are part of the game.  And aslo provokes the question... what if they don't?  The current condition of our secondary right now doesn't appear to bode well against QB's with talented receivers.  We need to get healthy back there, and fast.

14 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Grade 2 is a partial ligament tear. More than just a simple sprain but not quite a full tear/rupture. Will take awhile to heal and then will need extensive rehab but at least he won't need surgery. Perhaps I will bump into him at the Cryotherapy center as I've seen a few Colts players there recently. 

Partial isnt always a good thing. Imo sometimes a complete tear is better. There's a decent chance it doesn't heal properly or tears later since it's weakened. Id rather not see Vontae play on one leg like Toilet did in that Chiefs playoff game before we pulled him... 

That being said, I'm optimistic that the staff would only play him at 100% and that he recovers well.

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Can Bortles get better than his first two seasons? Many quarterbacks in the past have, and their third year is when they’ve done it, including Andrew Luck.  Peyton Manning’s third season saw a jump from 26 touchdowns in each of his first two seasons to 33 touchdowns. Matthew Stafford, while only starting 13 games combined in his first two seasons, increased his completion percentage by almost five percentage points and threw for more than 5,000 yards with 41 touchdowns in his third year. Even Philip Rivers, who started as Drew Brees’ backup, completed 65 percent of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 34 touchdowns in his third full year as starter. Andrew Luck improved over his first two years to throw 4750 yards with 40 TD's to 18 Int's.

Bortles can improve in his 3rd year as well.  Even if he maintains, his season last year of 4,400 + yards with 35 TD's and 18 Int's was quite good.  He has excellent targets (many say his group is better thans Luck's at this point).  He does need to improve accuracy and completion %. I think Carr will breakout next year toward upper echelon and Bortles will raise his game a notch over last year, but still be in Carr's shadow. However, he shouldn't be overlooked.

Injuries are part of the game.  And aslo provokes the question... what if they don't?  The current condition of our secondary right now doesn't appear to bode well against QB's with talented receivers.  We need to get healthy back there, and fast.

Of course we need to be healthy to be at our best. My point is, it is the same for all teams. Teams who win the SB tend to have deeper squads, as well as an elite and healthy QB. Normally.

I wasn't looking at this Colts team as "legitimate SB contenders" throughout the offseason. While I have been encouraged by our draft and is the young guys have played so far, I still don't put our team in the "SB or bust" category. 

That certainly isn't to say that I don't think that we can win it this year, even if Davis misses extended time. My point is this: Grigson shouldn't give away any future draft capital in order to fill holes on the roster for this year. That's just my opinion, but I think our FO has done enough in recent drafts to let it ride and build this thing the right way. 

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Lions

@Broncos

Chargers

Jags

1st 4 games.    What do you guess?

I'll go 2-2.    3-1 before the Davis injury.

Only road game vs Denver I would be surprised if we lost to a team that will struggle to put up points. That leaves all home games. We should win the home games. Davis is missed but we go 4/0

SD is a trap game right before the showdown w/Jags after the game last yr every Colt should have the Jags game circled.

If we were going out west diffrent story but. SD coming east for hopefully an early start we get them.

Stafford will test the secondary week 1. He shouldn't be forcing the ball as much with Megatron gone. We know he will still give the back end some chances. If they are really starting Decker at LT as the depth chart I saw indicates. I think Mathis has a big week 1.