Cromartie is a Colt

bababooey

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Hopefully he can hold the fort until Vontae returns and provide needed veteran depth for the rest of the season beyond that.

We can but hope.

I have all of my fingers and toes crossed...

If Vontae is out for the first 4 games as many are predicting, the two im particularly worried about are the Chargers and Jags.... Rivers will be ruthless and that Jacksonville WR group are no joke.

Sanchez/Siemian/Lynch doesnt scare me too much and the Lions, while not a joke team, have as many problems as we do, if not more.

9 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Don't even get me started bro LOL.. The way its looking we have the potential........Potential!!! To have a very, very good D-Line and secondary. I think Mathis MIGHT be that beast he was a couple years ago, but that's not a guarantee. But if he is then.......Its just on man. Simple as that. If he balls out and puts up 12-15sacks then yeah. It will absolutely be on. He looked good last year toward the end of the year as he got further removed from the injury and back into form, but him being a beast is no guarantee. I about half way expect it, but again....No guarantee. But I've said this many times and I know I'm going to get blasted for it again, but think about it from a football ONLY perspective for a minute. Greg Hardy could give our defense an element it hasn't had in a couple years. A game wrecking, monster, double digit sack EDGE rusher. I know he's a P0S. That's no doubt. But sometimes IMO you gotta put winning above everything else. I had rather have a team full of "bad guys" and win, than a team full of ''nice guys" and lose. I know its not going to happen, but it would drastically improve our defense, and might even be the difference in winning a playoff game and making a SB run.

I'm not a fan of Hardy but i.wouldn't be opposed to it either

I know, I know..nay-sayer will say/have said: " he's dropped off, he wasn't all that good last year"  or "we've been down this road before..aka. Johnson and Cole".  

But I think this was a darn good play by Indy.  He says we wan't healthy last year, an wants to prove he's not falling off.  This is a good chance to prove it with the Colts.  If he's 1/2 of what he used to be..then great.  If he was just unhealthy and continues to play at a high level,...then awesome!  Either way, we needed help DESPERATELY with Vonte's injury.  If Vonte comes back and He's played well,..then putting him at the #2 spot and Robinson at nickle would make our secondary that much better.  

It was the weakest spot on our team (along with pass rush) this preseason,..Cromartie has a real chance to help nulify that.

I'm hoping Cromartie's hip was only part of the Jets letting him go. They were not in a good cap spot which may have led to the dinged up corner becoming a cap casualty. If Grigson got a reasonable price (which I would assume he might in August), Cromartie might be just the thing. That little devil on my shoulder keeps whispering "He might be past it!" We can only cross our fingers.

12 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

They have a much better defense now.

thats not a given.  they are relying on unproven rookies to make them better

ours could be better too.  maybe green ends being the better player than ramsey

14 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I'm hoping Cromartie's hip was only part of the Jets letting him go. They were not in a good cap spot which may have led to the dinged up corner becoming a cap casualty. If Grigson got a reasonable price (which I would assume he might in August), Cromartie might be just the thing. That little devil on my shoulder keeps whispering "He might be past it!" We can only cross our fingers.

he was terrible last year, and he is a 32 year old corner.  thats why they let him go

he might have one more good year if he can get healthy

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he was terrible last year, and he is a 32 year old corner.  thats why they let him go

he might have one more good year if he can get healthy

Well, they could certainly use one more good year. It probably didn't help having Revis on the other side providing plenty of work. He only needs to go hard part of the year, hopefully.

Bowen’s Analysis: As a former defensive backs coach, Chuck Pagano calls a player like Cromartie the “perfect” fit for what the Colts want in a corner. Cromartie’s workout on Monday was “great,” per Pagano.

At 6-2 and north of 200 pounds, Cromartie has the long, athletic, skillset that can hold up in man coverage. Pagano said the terminology in Indianapolis is very similar from what Cromartie had playing for Rex Ryan with the Jets. Pagano said the Colts have not yet decided if Cromartie will play in the final two preseason games of 2016.
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Believe-Kendall-Langford-Will-Be-Ready-For-Week-One-Of-Regular-Season/2560e960-1e7a-4746-8a7f-247785a4fc16

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

Bowen’s Analysis: As a former defensive backs coach, Chuck Pagano calls a player like Cromartie the “perfect” fit for what the Colts want in a corner. Cromartie’s workout on Monday was “great,” per Pagano.

At 6-2 and north of 200 pounds, Cromartie has the long, athletic, skillset that can hold up in man coverage. Pagano said the terminology in Indianapolis is very similar from what Cromartie had playing for Rex Ryan with the Jets. Pagano said the Colts have not yet decided if Cromartie will play in the final two preseason games of 2016.
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Believe-Kendall-Langford-Will-Be-Ready-For-Week-One-Of-Regular-Season/2560e960-1e7a-4746-8a7f-247785a4fc16

With Cromartie already having experience in the system I have doubts we will see him in the preseason.  They'll probably let him rest and build chemistry with the ones in practice.  Rest of the preseason will probably be to evaluate the young guys.

Another thing I like about having Cromartie is that it gives us two real tall guys to play on the tight ends if we need to.  We can create packages that have TJ Green and Cromartie on these athletic tight ends in certain situations. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Hopefully, it will be a similar situation to Langford.  When Langford was in a 3-4 system he played well.  When he went to a different system his play fell off, now that he is back in a 3-4 his play has been good, IMO.  When Cromartie was being coached in Rex Ryan's system he was a good CB.  The Jets changed coaches, new system, he played poorly last year.  The move to the Colts may be what he needs to get back to playing well, similar system to Rex's.

12 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Hopefully, it will be a similar situation to Langford.  When Langford was in a 3-4 system he played well.  When he went to a different system his play fell off, now that he is back in a 3-4 his play has been good, IMO.  When Cromartie was being coached in Rex Ryan's system he was a good CB.  The Jets changed coaches, new system, he played poorly last year.  The move to the Colts may be what he needs to get back to playing well, similar system to Rex's.

Cheers to that! 

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I just think he played bad because he had a lingering groin injury.  Could be age, but I think the groin was the bigger issue.  He said the hip had nothing to do with it.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Cromartie says he has no health issues or limitations right now. #Colts

— George Bremer (@gmbremer) Aug 23, 2016

http://bleacherreport.com/indianapolis-colts

Heard Will Carroll on the radio this morning say he's fine for a year or two but just that he will likely need a hip replacement in several years due to arthritis. However, I think you can make this statement for a lot of older players.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Heard Will Carroll on the radio this morning say he's fine for a year or two but just that he will likely need a hip replacement in several years due to arthritis. However, I think you can make this statement for a lot of older players.

All we need him for is this year!  Not even looking ahead

23 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

That's pretty rich for his production last year. I really hope his injuries are what slowed him down.

That's actually cheap for a Corner with an 82.7 overall grade last year by PFF and 83.6 coverage grade. Graded out as a top 20 Corner and made 16 plays on the ball last year

23 minutes ago, Gavin said:

That's actually cheap for a Corner with an 82.7 overall grade last year by PFF and 83.6 coverage grade. Graded out as a top 20 Corner and made 16 plays on the ball last year

Uh, look again. Those stats are for DRC, not AC. AC was 46.5 overall and 47.5 in coverage. That's good for 87th overall or just one behind Darius Butler.

With that said, I believe it was a down injury riddled year. I believe he can bounce back.

23 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Uh, look again. Those stats are for DRC, not AC. AC was 46.5 overall and 47.5 in coverage. That's good for 87th overall or just one behind Darius Butler.

With that said, I believe it was a down injury riddled year. I believe he can bounce back.

Damn! I got the two mixed up. I see it now

1 hour ago, krunk said:

All we need him for is this year!  Not even looking ahead

Exactly.  I can't understand why anyone would be negative on this signing.  He's better that what we had before we signed him.  An upgrade is an upgrade.  

Just now, JPFolks said:

Exactly.  I can't understand why anyone would be negative on this signing.  He's better that what we had before we signed him.  An upgrade is an upgrade.  

As long as he's healthy I agree.  Which he stated he was.

If he has any issues going on with that groin then it could be kinda like Toler.

Hopefully he truly is healthy.

Just now, krunk said:

As long as he's healthy I agree.  Which he stated he was.

If he has any issues going on with that groin then it could be kinda like Toler.

Hopefully he truly is healthy.

They worked him out... surely he wasn't showing signs of an injury for them to do that.  So let's hope he stays that was at least until Vontae is back, but I fear that will be later rather than sooner.  

11 hours ago, The Lucky Neck Beard said:

I like Cromartie!  Surprised we didn't bring in either of the ex-Pitsburgh CBs for a try out too though.  Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen could have provided some cheap veteran backup.

Cromatie already pretty much knows this system    But I would be opposed to looking at the others 

5 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

That's pretty rich for his production last year. I really hope his injuries are what slowed him down.

I don't think it's bad, considering he was owed 8 mil. before being cut... 

It depends on how he can bounce back... It would be too much to pay if he plays like last year... Its a complete steal if he plays like he did the year before. 

Considering there is about 3 weeks until the season starts, this was pretty much the best option the team had. Hopefully Cromartie has a resurgence of some kind but overall, I don't really have high expectations of him. He really only needs to play adequately for about 4 games, until Vontae comes back. Everything else he gives the team should be considered house money at that point.

Hopefully another Corner (Smith or Mitchel) can step up and give the team some good production early on. The Colts will face some good QBs weeks 1 through 4. Also to keep in mind, Green can play CB if need be (though not sure how plausible that will be considering Geathers health)