Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL removing "probable" from weekly injury report

NewColtsFan

It appears that the term "probable" will no longer appear on the league's weekly injury reports.....     too many teams played fast and loose with the term and it grew to mean almost nothing.      So, it's no longer going to be an option.

Read on for the rest of the story......     it's a short and easy read.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17361111/nfl-streamlines-injured-players-game-status-removes-probable-designation

I remember an article a years ago making a point of of the Patriots abusing this a lot. For several consecutive weeks they listed Brady on the injury report, yet he would ALWAYS play. It got to be comical, and it was suggested the Patriots were doing this on purpose to get teams second-guessing them, or to just annoy the hell out of them or Goodell.

I've seen them still do this on occasion with Brady, but I think they tapered down on a bit than they used to.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Probable always meant they were going to play.   Non story

This has huge fantasy implications.

"Questionable" players, per the policy, are "uncertain" to play. With probable, you knew they were going to play, with questionable, they may or may not play, makes is really convoluted.

They should have gotten rid of doubtful as well with the same logic, i think that over 95% of players listed as doubtful sat out that week.

34 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

This has huge fantasy implications.

"Questionable" players, per the policy, are "uncertain" to play. With probable, you knew they were going to play, with questionable, they may or may not play, makes is really convoluted.

They should have gotten rid of doubtful as well with the same logic, i think that over 95% of players listed as doubtful sat out that week.

True- around 95% of probable played, and around 95% of doubtful did not. Questionable was always around 40%-60%

according to Florio, questionable means "it is uncertain as to whether the player will play in the game," while doubtful means "it is unlikely the player will participate." Essentially anything greater than 50 percent is questionable, while anything less than 50 percent is doubtful.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-nfls-small-injury-report-rule-tweak-will-be-a-huge-pain-for-fantasy/

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Happy2BeHere said:

So are you guys saying its "probable" that doubtful will be removed also ? haha 

I think they're saying there's a chance!

Oh and I'm sure Tom wish they had removed probable from the NFL language a few years earlier....now he is missing 4 games because of "more probable than not" that he knew....lol...I know I know I shouldn't go there.

21 hours ago, bayone said:

according to Florio, questionable means "it is uncertain as to whether the player will play in the game," while doubtful means "it is unlikely the player will participate." Essentially anything greater than 50 percent is questionable, while anything less than 50 percent is doubtful.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-nfls-small-injury-report-rule-tweak-will-be-a-huge-pain-for-fantasy/

So what does 50% fall into...you always hear 50-50...and that doesn't fall under questionable or doubtful under those terms lol.....yeah this is all clear as mud.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think they're saying there's a chance!

Oh and I'm sure Tom wish they had removed probable from the NFL language a few years earlier....now he is missing 4 games because of "more probable than not" that he knew....lol...I know I know I shouldn't go there.

So what does 50% fall into...you always hear 50-50...and that doesn't fall under questionable or doubtful under those terms lol.....yeah this is all clear as mud.

50% means they toss a coin, the player at 50% calls heads or tails , if he calls right hes in the less than 50 % class but to me  Florio has it backwards or I am just confused 

someone thats doubtful  should be basically greater than 50% and someone thats questionable should be l,ess

Love how the NFL clarifies things, still want to know whats a catch

I'm not sure I like this.  

Yes it's stupid that players stay on the injury report and keep playing.  

But honestly all that's going to happen is that players that the team knows are likely going to play in the game are going to be listed as questionable and fantasy players will not have much of an idea if they are going to play.

As far as I can see it, this just increases the fogginess in fantasy terms.  

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

But honestly all that's going to happen is that players that the team knows are likely going to play in the game are going to be listed as questionable and fantasy players will not have much of an idea if they are going to play.

As far as I can see it, this just increases the fogginess in fantasy terms.  

I was thinking this as well.  I don't play Fantasy sports, but thought those folks would now have to follow Twitter and blogs of medical personnel to get an idea if as player is to come off IR / PUP etc.

10 hours ago, Nadine said:

I can see the reasoning.  We'll see if it changes anything.  I don't understand why players are listed as probable anyway. Does the team get in trouble if they are not listed as 'probable' but then they don't play?

I think it had to do with the fact that any little injury has to be on the report with one of the designations. so it was a way of basically saying it's something minor but he will play. It was supposed to give a better picture as to the availability of a player.

I can see Teams like the Patriots using "questionable" like they used probable in previous years. Now every week Gronk and Brady will be listed as questionable. Seems infuriating for fantasy football,  as well as for Teams trying to cater gameplans around certain players. 

10 hours ago, Nadine said:

I can see the reasoning.  We'll see if it changes anything.  I don't understand why players are listed as probable anyway. Does the team get in trouble if they are not listed as 'probable' but then they don't play?

Yes.....    I believe "probable" meant 75% chance of playing or better....   it was an eyebrow raising thing when it happened....   and with some teams,  it happened a lot.....  far more than with others....   

There was a lot of gamesmanship with the system.    Of course,  gamesmanship is just a polite word for....  cheating!       ;-)

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I was thinking this as well.  I don't play Fantasy sports, but thought those folks would now have to follow Twitter and blogs of medical personnel to get an idea if as player is to come off IR / PUP etc.

It's not so much the question of if they where coming off IR.  But if a person had an injury that didn't see them put on IR, you would check to find out how likely it was your guy was going to play so you would know if to start him or not.

Questionable was always frustrating, but probable at least gave you solid confidence that the guy was gonna play.  The other thing you looked at was if the guy practiced or not.  

Now everyone is going to be listed as questionable.   I honestly think this only makes things harder to figure out.   

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's not so much the question of if they where coming off IR.  But if a person had an injury that didn't see them put on IR, you would check to find out how likely it was your guy was going to play so you would know if to start him or not.

Questionable was always frustrating, but probable at least gave you solid confidence that the guy was gonna play.  The other thing you looked at was if the guy practiced or not.  

Now everyone is going to be listed as questionable.   I honestly think this only makes things harder to figure out.   

I think if a guy doesn't practice or misses Thursday and Friday, he should be doubtful more than questionable no matter how he is listed; based upon history.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, bayone said:

50% means they toss a coin, the player at 50% calls heads or tails , if he calls right hes in the less than 50 % class but to me  Florio has it backwards or I am just confused 

someone thats doubtful  should be basically greater than 50% and someone thats questionable should be l,ess

Love how the NFL clarifies things, still want to know whats a catch

Didn't they change the rule for a catch again this year...yeah..I'm supposedly a devout football fan and I can't even explain what should be one of the most simple rules in the NFL to my wife. All I can say is "I know a catch when I see it"...if the officials agree I don't know.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Didn't they change the rule for a catch again this year...yeah..I'm supposedly a devout football fan and I can't even explain what should be one of the most simple rules in the NFL to my wife. All I can say is "I know a catch when I see it"...if the officials agree I don't know.

yeah they changed it again , not really sure exactly what, read one thing , then some commentator said something like they may not slow it down to see if one made a football move if it seems like a bang bang play & ball comes loose so will be incomplete and not a fumble if in field of play or TD if in end zone

HERE

NFL updates the catch rule and still manages to create more confusion

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-updates-the-catch-rule-and-still-manages-to-create-more-confusion/

SEEMS STRAIGHT FORWARD THEN U GET TO PART C 

ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS 

parts a & b are straight forward but then - read article for them

(c) maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).

Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession.  

----

the entire Twitterverse  pointed out,  NFL appeared to be saying   toe-tap catches on the sideline or in the back of the end zone won't actually be catches, because receivers won't have time to establish themselves as runners  viirtue of part c unless it occurs out of bounds - read article for exact wording

--------------

& i saw a preseason game, ball ruled incomplete on a clear catch and a move of 3 steps even announcers counted in slow motion and thought had to be a catch but reason given was he didn't tuck ball into his body during his movements with the ball so it  wasnt secure in his hands__ WHAT ! ! ! ! 

Every officiating crew will have own definition u know that already