Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could There be a Big Trade Looming

Andy

The Colts haven't been this active in the free agency for a long time. They sign Tommie Harris, a very valuable player, and Ernie Sims, another valuable player. Do you think that they could be using these players in a trade in the near future, perhaps going after Asante Samuel. I don't think so, but I thought that this would be an interesting topic.

The Colts haven't been this active in the free agency for a long time. They sign Tommie Harris, a very valuable player, and Ernie Sims, another valuable player. Do you think that they could be using these players in a trade in the near future, perhaps going after Asante Samuel. I don't think so, but I thought that this would be an interesting topic.

I don't think so. I kind of want to see Ernie Sims on the field anyway.

I don't think so. I kind of want to see Ernie Sims on the field anyway.

I don't think so either, but a couple of buddies of mine suggested this idea and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Perhaps... Or perhaps they're stockpiling these players to replace the ones already on the roster that will be used in the trade for asante samuel. Or maybe they'll just trade future draft choices for him. Or a combination of the two... I'm glad we made the signings in any event, and would be very happy if we made a deal for Samuel.

Why would they trade Sims back to the Eagles? Both fit well with our scheme to trade away

Not trade Sims back he's talking about the add. I think it would be great if we can Asante. If you guys remember right Asante has had Peyton's number when they play against each other. If we could get him that could help out against Andre too.

Nahhh.... But i do think this.... Maybe Peytons injury is more serious than anybody thought so now they are trying to sure up the defense... Of course i could be wrong but i think that could likely be the issue i mean look at Gonzo's situation they told us he was gonna be back soon and look what happened, obviously manning isnt gonzo but he isnt all that young either.

regardless of what others say or what the logic behind it is (lol) Asante Samuel would be an awesome addition to the Colts roster... I don't believe that they are working a trade with this newly acquired players, though. Everyone keeps saying that the colts won't invest the money into a player like Samuel, but how do you know? To the best of my knowledge, Chris Polian is running the show this year... he's already doing things differently than in the past... I guess only time will tell... Here's to a great season, guys!!!!

* RIGHT!!!

Ernie Sims AND Tommie Harris!!!

I am ecstatic and beside myself. After a hard days work at the hospital, I am pleased. So pleased.

I wanted the Colts to sign Sims and made a post earlier in the week as to how much value he could add to our team. I expect he will be a starter and an AWESOME replacement for Session, who is crazy thinking the Colts wont be the powerhouse anymore. Session got signed for way too much at Jax, and I am glad we didnt sign him for that amount. He is not THAT good.

Harris was a BEAST in Chicago. I know he will bring expertise to our DTs, and with Jamaal Anderson and Fili Moala, we are set!!!

Mod Edit I hope others did the same.

GO COLTS!!!!

SUPERBOWL BOUND AT HOME!!!! HOW SWEET!!!!

Please remember we are a family-friendly site when posting.

I don't think it frees up anyone worth value. Who would Sims free up? Brackett? He's older and has a limited appeal to Tampa 2 teams. Angerer? Possibly, but I don't know that teams would gamble on him yet . Wheeler? He has little trade value.

Anderson could free up either someone inside or outside. Freeney is a definite no. Possibly Mathis, but that'd rely more on Hughes making the right progress than a bust of a first rounder. Outside of Moala, there is little to no value to trade on the inside, and I don't think the Colts will trade away the first DT to show any real sign of playmaking material they've had in a while.

I can't see that happening. The Colts are just filling in their holes using FAs. This offseason is distinctly different from previous ones, I guess it's just Chris putting his stamp on the team

Lets say we do win the SB this year. Chris Polian will be a hero to the town of Indy. His name is on the line here, and if he wins out big, the man has solidified himself with the fanbase and the league as a phenom GM in his rookie year..

I don't think it frees up anyone worth value. Who would Sims free up? Brackett? He's older and has a limited appeal to Tampa 2 teams. Angerer? Possibly, but I don't know that teams would gamble on him yet . Wheeler? He has little trade value.

Anderson could free up either someone inside or outside. Freeney is a definite no. Possibly Mathis, but that'd rely more on Hughes making the right progress than a bust of a first rounder. Outside of Moala, there is little to no value to trade on the inside, and I don't think the Colts will trade away the first DT to show any real sign of playmaking material they've had in a while.

only way Id trade Mathis is if we traded him to the Gmen along with a 4th rounder for Osi Umenyiora otherwise id want to keep him

Hidden

Andy, you're a joke. You posted this after you read & commented in the "Mr. Polian" thread on here & here's part of my comments from it...it wasn't "a couple of your buddies" suggesting it:

"Could be any number of things. Timing, money, the team making the offer, etc. Trades can be complex, and if the right combination of players + cash and other considerations like draft picks can be put together they might be a fit for ______ (fill in the blank) trade partner. You never know what might sway a team - sudden need because of injury, etc. The thing that's good when viewing possibilites.....is that the Colts have acquired a lot of different position players. Yes, we need help but I'd swap a couple of the these guys for one impact player. That's the only issue I have right now with the decision tree - I'd like to see an impact guy brought in but I understand that can be difficult. Most of what we're seeing is caused by circumstances of this year....the timing. The way this is starting to play out we're adding guys that we can afford who may/may not make a difference for us but could possibly of greater benefit for another team under the right circumstances. It's a bit of "best player available" on what amounts to the second draft board of the year. You just never know where needs/demand will end up. This is very interesting. The other element in this is the compensatory end of things for FAs that leave for other teams. The draft next year could be bananas.....the ones thinking 12 moves ahead could do very well come April."

And for anyone thinking this is completely out of the realm of possibilities....think again. And I'm not just talkin' Asante Samuel. It's possible something could be put together for another player.

Hidden

Andy, you're a joke. You posted this after you read & commented in the "Mr. Polian" thread on here & here's part of my comments from it...it wasn't "a couple of your buddies" suggesting it:

"Could be any number of things. Timing, money, the team making the offer, etc. Trades can be complex, and if the right combination of players + cash and other considerations like draft picks can be put together they might be a fit for ______ (fill in the blank) trade partner. You never know what might sway a team - sudden need because of injury, etc. The thing that's good when viewing possibilites.....is that the Colts have acquired a lot of different position players. Yes, we need help but I'd swap a couple of the these guys for one impact player. That's the only issue I have right now with the decision tree - I'd like to see an impact guy brought in but I understand that can be difficult. Most of what we're seeing is caused by circumstances of this year....the timing. The way this is starting to play out we're adding guys that we can afford who may/may not make a difference for us but could possibly of greater benefit for another team under the right circumstances. It's a bit of "best player available" on what amounts to the second draft board of the year. You just never know where needs/demand will end up. This is very interesting. The other element in this is the compensatory end of things for FAs that leave for other teams. The draft next year could be bananas.....the ones thinking 12 moves ahead could do very well come April."

And for anyone thinking this is completely out of the realm of possibilities....think again. And I'm not just talkin' Asante Samuel. It's possible something could be put together for another player.

First of all, I didn't read any of the comments in that thread, all I wrote was my comment "Dear Mr. Polian, THANK YOU"

Now I don't know if you're accusing me of taking your idea or anything, but I didn't. And yes a couple of my buddies did suggest it to me, whether you like it or not. So buzz off and stop pissing me off.

Hidden

Who are you to say if the guy never actually talked about this with his buddies, your not some journalist so why you getting all up tight lol..... the colts arent trading anyone... they will not trade three 1st round talents that magically happen to be players in positions they need depth at for just one player hoping he himself will pan out... this is not fantasy football.

Hidden

First of all, I didn't read any of the comments in that thread, all I wrote was my comment "Dear Mr. Polian, THANK YOU"

Now I don't know if you're accusing me of taking your idea or anything, but I didn't. And yes a couple of my buddies did suggest it to me, whether you like it or not. So buzz off and stop pissing me off.

I could care less about "an idea" that's "mine" or note....haha that's not what I'm talking about.

Let's try to bring this topic back on track...

Lets say we do win the SB this year. Chris Polian will be a hero to the town of Indy. His name is on the line here, and if he wins out big, the man has solidified himself with the fanbase and the league as a phenom GM in his rookie year..

Yeah, he is a rookie, but he has the expertise of a guy like Bill right next to him. I'm sure he has done a lot on his own (especially since signing FAs isn't Bill's thing), but it's very possible that he asked his dad about how to scout players and what to look for to fit Indy's offensive and defensive systems.

These are the type of free-agents the Colts have signed in the past, but it has been a while, and with Peyton entering what could be his final contract there seems to be more urgency. Reagor and Stokely were free-agent pick ups. The Colts just don't participate in overpaying for other team's garbage.

Maybe the Unites States could impose a strict import tax on Canadian products to help the Colts get Asante. Or potentially the government could overrule the CBA and issue a sports subsidy to the Colts to pay for Mr. Samuel, Randy Moss, and every other free agent still available. I'm sure that could happen, none the less it would be awesome to see Asante in a Colts uniform.

As the question posed by the OP, your friends play WAAAAAAAY too much Madden. About the only thing that would make sense is if any of our current players that these guys could replace have value to another team, we might get some value out of them. Problem is, pretty much every team sees our defense as weak and there isn't a whole lot of cream to drag out of it. Which, is partly the reason why these three additions all have a legitimate shot at competing for playing time as a part of a healthy rotation.

Thanks to 21 for getting this back on track after it had to be cleaned up a bit.

If folks wish to engage in a personal argument, please take it off the board. Thanks.

Why? That's ridiculous! That thread is as good a place as any for them to discuss whatever it is they are talking about as long as it's colts related. I don't even see where anybody was arguing... It's all about Colts football so who cares where it goes, not me. Some of the best Colts discussions I've gotten into have been off topic in a thread about something completely different. You never know where a good conversation is gonna pop up, and others are often interested and jump in as well. Please stop closing threads for the sake of closing threads! It's ridiculous to do that! Just let us talk Colts football! That's what we're all here to do, and if that's what we're doing, then kindly leave us alone! Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

This statement shows no concept of how the NFL works. Point # 1 - these players could have been had by any team in the league as they were free agents. Why in the world would somebody then turn around and trade for them? The answer is they wouldn't. Point # 2 - the other side of this is that the Colts signed them as they think/hope they can help this year. Trading them would only acquire draft picks (low ones at that) who would help in subsequent seasons. And lastly point # 3 - see point # 1.