Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeAndre Hopkins

oldunclemark

Holding out and its an interesting case..3rd year, I believe, so he's still on his rookie contract...

But he caught 1,500 yards worth of passes last year.

He's obviously worth more...but teams cant get in the habit of re-doing rookie deals...the concept of them, I thought, was that rookies have to play a few years before they cash in.  Not fair to the vets who have paid dues if they dont.

I'm sure Houston offered to extend him but I'd guess they want him to get to at least the last year of his first deal before they do.

What complicates it is they just spent what/ $18 mil a year on Brock O. ?

Tough spot for management

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Holding out and its an interesting case..3rd year, I believe, so he's still on his rookie contract...

But he caught 1,500 yards worth of passes last year.

He's obviously worth more...but teams cant get in the habit of re-doing rookie deals...the concept of them, I thought, was that rookies have to play a few years before they cash in.  Not fair to the vets who have paid dues if they dont.

I'm sure Houston offered to extend him but I'd guess they want him to get to at least the last year of his first deal before they do.

What complicates it is they just spent what/ $18 mil a year on Brock O. ?

Tough spot for management

Not really a tough decision for the Texans, they can't give into him.  He still has two years left on his rookie deal, if they grant his wish they set a precedent that will haunt them in the future.  Any rookie that has a good start to their career will want to renegotiate after 2 or 3 years.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Not really a tough decision for the Texans, they can't give into him.  He still has two years left on his rookie deal, if they grant his wish they set a precedent that will haunt them in the future.  Any rookie that has a good start to their career will want to renegotiate after 2 or 3 years.

I agree with your conclusion (If you pay king size cash to rookie cash to players after 2 good seasons, you'll eventually be [paying them after one good season) but don't kid yourself.

it is a tough decision...if you're them.

All they are going to hear all year from opposition players, fans and media is how much they're cheating poor DeAndre and how many benchwarmers are making more than their star wide receiver.....

How Houston doesn't really want to win because they're not giving DeAndre big money.....

How they threw a Chevy full of money at an 'unproved' QB and wont pay their own guy who has dominated.

This is going to be a pain for them all year

I bet Houston gives in, if they don't and he doesn't play that team might not even be .500. He is their best playmaker by far. Watt's health is already questionable with a bad back and he may even miss a game or 2, so that team has some problems going on right now. Those 2 things with an unproven QB may cause them to struggle for a while.

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree with your conclusion (If you pay king size cash to rookie cash to players after 2 good seasons, you'll eventually be [paying them after one good season) but don't kid yourself.

it is a tough decision...if you're them.

All they are going to hear all year from opposition players, fans and media is how much they're cheating poor DeAndre and how many benchwarmers are making more than their star wide receiver.....

How Houston doesn't really want to win because they're not giving DeAndre big money.....

How they threw a Chevy full of money at an 'unproved' QB and wont pay their own guy who has dominated.

This is going to be a pain for them all year

He will get a deal.   He is set to make 2 million this year.  He will get a large extension

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He will get a deal.   He is set to make 2 million this year.  He will get a large extension

I think he will, too.......

But somehow the Texans have to give in without making it look like they gave in...because he;s got 2 years left on the rookie deal.

Some kind of low salary, high bonus combination that makes him play for the 2 mil this year but guarantees him an 8-figure salary down the line.....

Might just be the owner meeting him and promising him the big deal even if he gets hurt this year

I'm wrong..this is DeAndre Hopkins' 4th season.

he's already played 3 years of a 4-year deal..

There's not much risk in extending him....its just a question of what he's asking.

.....The only problem is if he wants this year's deal torn up and replaced with a $10-15 mil pact now.

I don't even know if they have cap room to do that..

But this should be worked out. They don't want him to be a free agent after the season ends

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm wrong..this is DeAndre Hopkins' 4th season.

he's already played 3 years of a 4-year deal..

There's not much risk in extending him....its just a question of what he's asking.

.....The only problem is if he wants this year's deal torn up and replaced with a $10-15 mil pact now.

I don't even know if they have cap room to do that..

But this should be worked out. They don't want him to be a free agent after the season ends

They have an option on him next year.   But im positve they will extend him.   He is a top 3 wr

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Good for him.    He wants to play ball.   I still think he will get an extension before seasons end

They did Watt's in September of his 4th year. I could see them doing the same for Hopkins, even though they said they don't think the time is right. If he doesn't get extended, his 5th year option is guaranteed for injury, so he'd have over a year to rehab before his contract expires. That's his worst case scenario, not ideal, but better than heading to free agency this year.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

They did Watt's in September of his 4th year. I could see them doing the same for Hopkins, even though they said they don't think the time is right. If he doesn't get extended, his 5th year option is guaranteed for injury, so he'd have over a year to rehab before his contract expires. That's his worst case scenario, not ideal, but better than heading to free agency this year.

I think there's a difference. Watt is probably already one of the top 10 defensive players of all time, if not top 5. 

Hopkins, while great, is still not the level of Prime Dre Johnson and definitely not the threat a prime randy moss was.

At least not yet. If he has a berserk year, I can see Rick Smith offering such a contract next year.

But it'll have to be a berserk year, 1800y+ 10 td+ kinda year I'd think.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, jvan1973 said:

They have an option on him next year.   But im positve they will extend him.   He is a top 3 wr

Agreed...... they can decline the option and sign him to what he wants..for 2017..if he plays for 'rookie pay' in 2016...No precedent gets set and nobody gets cheated

He just has to trust them..and it looks like he will

5 hours ago, myic90 said:

I think there's a difference. Watt is probably already one of the top 10 defensive players of all time, if not top 5. 

Hopkins, while great, is still not the level of Prime Dre Johnson and definitely not the threat a prime randy moss was.

At least not yet. If he has a berserk year, I can see Rick Smith offering such a contract next year.

But it'll have to be a berserk year, 1800y+ 10 td+ kinda year I'd think.

No one is even talking about money, just giving him an extension a little earlier than they may have planned. I don't know how comparing him to some of the best players of the last few years is relevant.