Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geathers injury

theanarchist

Eh, There hasn't been a lot of details coming out about the injury other than a reported broken bone in his foot. This opens the door for a very raw TJ Green, but I think we can survive for a couple weeks if Geathers isn't back for week one. I'll be curious if Pagano addresses this in the presser today.

Throw TJ in the fire and see how he does. It certainly isn't going to hurt him

43 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

This hurts. No pun intended. Safety was a big concern going into the season even with a healthy Geathers. It sure sounds like Geathers is going to miss some considerable time. We are not in good shape with the safety position.

Based on what?

28 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Based on what?

I guess based on the reported time line of return "hopefully" ready for the season opener. I think this training camp and preseason is important for Geathers and if he misses both I think that's "considerable time".

Hopefully by week 1 doesn't sound good. The colts rarely have people back by when they "hope" for. So now we can slide Green in as a SS or Adams over to play SS and have Green play FS. Do we sign a FA as insurance? Donte Whitner is available I believe and could be a decent plug in/depth option. 

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

Eh, There hasn't been a lot of details coming out about the injury other than a reported broken bone in his foot. This opens the door for a very raw TJ Green, but I think we can survive for a couple weeks if Geathers isn't back for week one. I'll be curious if Pagano addresses this in the presser today.

Throw TJ in the fire and see how he does. It certainly isn't going to hurt him

That's a good point, or at least it's a glass half full point.  I know they play vanilla D in the preseason, and he'd be playing against a lot of guys who won't be in the NFL in September, but reps are reps.  The more the better.

Be prepared to have patience with him though.  My lasting image of him is being the first Clemson guy in the end zone after Bama scored.  I'd hate to start seeing that image with him wearing a Colts uniform.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That's a good point, or at least it's a glass half full point.  I know they play vanilla D in the preseason, and he'd be playing against a lot of guys who won't be in the NFL in September, but reps are reps.  The more the better.

Be prepared to have patience with him though.  My lasting image of him is being the first Clemson guy in the end zone after Bama scored.  I'd hate to start seeing that image with him wearing a Colts uniform.

So you're saying he'll replace Toler in that regard.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Lets hope. That does happen with rookies in their first camps though. Gotta hydrate, boys.

Leraven Clark hurt too.  Dropping like flies and full pads doesn't even start until Friday.

Here's how thin the Colts suddenly are at safety: Cornerback Darius Butler is playing safety with Mike Adams

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) Jul 27, 2016

I had already mentioned I didn't like our depth at safety before the practices even started.  Now Butler is playing safety.  If he gets beaten out for the nickel spot that probably is going to be what allows him to stay on the roster being able to play FS.

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

I had already mentioned I didn't like our depth at safety before the practices even started.  Now Butler is playing safety.  If he gets beaten out for the nickel spot that probably is going to be what allows him to stay on the roster being able to play FS.

Well if he's any good at it, it could be a blessing in disguise. :dunno:

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

Here's how thin the Colts suddenly are at safety: Cornerback Darius Butler is playing safety with Mike Adams

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) Jul 27, 2016

He has played Safety for Indy at times over his tenure.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Geeesh!  Every safety we have put back there today outside of Butler has gone into the trainers tent.   And then you have Ferguson too.

Kevin Bowen @KBowenColts

Josh Ferguson and Winston Guy now being carted into the training tent. Pagano will have injury updates after practice

It's because it's hot outside.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Only if he gets at least two PI penalties per game.

Preach. I dispised(a word not often used by me) Tolers game, or should I say lack of. Anytime my wife would hear me getting upset over something happening in-game, her first response was to ask what Toler did!! LOL True story. Dude was made of glass it seemed, and didn't seem to ever play thru nagging injuries. Soft, glad he's gone. JMO

On 7/27/2016 at 10:56 AM, krunk said:

Donte Whitner isn't going to want to be anybodies back up which is what would happen once Geathers is back in week 2 if he misses week 1

I am not sure Whitner would be beaten out by Geathers... Whitner has a solid career of playing at a high level.. Geathers has been a fill in and for me was our biggest single question mark in the secondary this year;  We'd be MUCH improved with Whitner on board and let the best player start.  I wouldn't count Whitner out on that battle.  

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I am not sure Whitner would be beaten out by Geathers... Whitner has a solid career of playing at a high level.. Geathers has been a fill in and for me was our biggest single question mark in the secondary this year;  We'd be MUCH improved with Whitner on board and let the best player start.  I wouldn't count Whitner out on that battle.  

It's not a matter of ability, it's more of what the Colts are focused on right now and that is developing their young players.  There's only one reason to bring a guy like Whitner in and that is to start him.   Why do that when you know your intent is to develop your own?