Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler Varga

Gavin

7 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

How long do they give Varga to make up his mind whether he wants to play again or not before moving on?  Training camp is critical for anyone, other than Gore, for making the team.

Maybe no decision is a decision??

This is a reserve list, so I don't believe he's taking up a roster spot. They just retain his rights. They could waive him, but it's all the same. If he doesn't report to camp, he doesn't get paid, and he doesn't count against the roster. It's like he's retired.

Just now, bababooey said:

He is contemplating retirement after his four month concussion last year per Adam Caplan.

Where did you read that?  The only reason I'm asking because the last thing I read about Varga was in May and it stated he was eager to get back on the field. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/10/recovered-from-four-month-concussion-tyler-varga-is-back-with-the-colts/

Totally unrelated but since we have no official news as to why Varga is not at camp  Andre Johnson has been spotted at Titans training camp....No confirmation the signing....really would have been news worthy maybe 5 years ago...But now not so much

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Where did you read that?  The only reason I'm asking because the last thing I read about Varga was in May and it stated he was eager to get back on the field. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/10/recovered-from-four-month-concussion-tyler-varga-is-back-with-the-colts/

I was having trouble believing Varga would ever play again given the issue and given the day and age.  I was having trouble believing the Colts could spare a roster spot for a guy with such a high probability of further and frequent concusssions.

If Varga has reached the starting line and decided to scratch, that makes complete sense to me.

Now what I do like is they signed Abou Toure as his replacement.  I thought Abou Toure had some really nice runs last preseason. We just didn't give him enough opportunity.  Good move to me!  Glad we have another big back 6'2" 229lbs

ROSTER UPDATE: We have signed free agent running back Abou Toure. We also placed running back Tyler Varga on the Reserve/Retired list.

http://www.colts.com/

28 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't know why that's a wow.  The kid went to Yale, he has options other than playing a brutal,position like RB.

Nothing in that tweet suggests he's doomed without football.  Tyler made it clear to everyone that his intentions were to get back on the field after being medically cleared so the "wow" was based on his decision to retire unexpectedly. 

19 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Nothing in that tweet suggests he's doomed without football.  Tyler made it clear to everyone that his intentions were to get back on the field after being medically cleared so the "wow" was based on his decision to retire unexpectedly. 

nothing in my post suggested that the writer was claiming he was doomed without football.  It's not a wow considering his injury.  Plus, I believe he got dinged during OTA's.

Varga was a nice kid. I talked with him last year at training camp. He just seemed like a normal dude, like one of my good friends. Being in the NFL never "got to him" per say. He made the right choice after reading his statement on his concussions. I couldn't imagine looking for apartments all day and then leaving and not even remember what the apartment looked like. Scary. His health is worth more than playing football.

I liked Abou Toure better than I liked Varga last preseason.  Toure just didn't get enough carries.  He averaged 5.3 yards per carry last preseason on 7 carries.  Just love his size and shiftiness.  Maybe this year he'll get to be on the P.S. at a minimum.  I have always wanted a big Antoine Smith/Legarrete Blount type of back that can move. Toure is that style, and I like him especially in this offense and blocking scheme.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I liked Abou Toure better than I liked Varga last preseason.  Toure just didn't get enough carries.  He averaged 5.3 yards per carry last preseason on 7 carries.  Just love his size and shiftiness.  Maybe this year he'll get to be on the P.S. at a minimum.  I have always wanted a big Antoine Smith/Legarrete Blount type of back that can move. Toure is that style, and I like him especially in this offense and blocking scheme.

I can't seem to find any highlights of him but his highschool films. Reading that he is 6'2 230lbs makes me smile. I'm rooting for him and Josh Ferguson. Ferguson especially is a sleeper for sure. 

37 minutes ago, James Harden said:

I can't seem to find any highlights of him but his highschool films. Reading that he is 6'2 230lbs makes me smile. I'm rooting for him and Josh Ferguson. Ferguson especially is a sleeper for sure. 

Yeah he was on the Colts roster last preseason for the entire time.  Didn't make the final cut because of Varga and Josh Robinson. That's who the attention was on at the time so that's the guys they went with.  He'll probably end up getting cut again, but this time they'll probably place him on the PS.  He's good enough to give Turbin a run for his money in preseason to me.

19 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Varga was a nice kid. I talked with him last year at training camp. He just seemed like a normal dude, like one of my good friends. Being in the NFL never "got to him" per say. He made the right choice after reading his statement on his concussions. I couldn't imagine looking for apartments all day and then leaving and not even remember what the apartment looked like. Scary. His health is worth more than playing football.

Whoa. He was that guy...I remember reading about that, but I didn't put 2 & 2 together until you reminded me of that apartment amnesia detail again...Austin Collie #2...So sorry to hear that Mr. Varga. 

15 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but wouldn't Varga know before now whether or not he was going to come back or not? 

I hope he's ok! 

I know exactly what you mean Lolly & no, it doesn't make you an insensitive ogre for asking a very relevant question BTW. 

I was wondering the same thing myself.