Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Hester

GAColtsFan

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think we have roster space for a designated punt returner. If he's around late in the preseason, I'd maybe take a look. He had a decent season as a receiver in 2014, but he didn't play last year. I'm bearish on him.

I would only want to look if we really had the need. We don't want another josh cribbs by putting out someone who used to be good

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I would only want to look if we really had the need. We don't want another josh cribbs by putting out someone who used to be good

Hester is better than Cribbs, or at least he was. But yeah, only if the need was there would I be interested. I don't think it is. 

With the NFL trying more and more to get rid of the kick return, I don't think it makes sense to invest in a designated returner.  Touchbacks will start from the 25 yard line instead of the 20, so the league is really trying to get rid of it.  Invest money and roster spots elsewhere

29 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

With the NFL trying more and more to get rid of the kick return, I don't think it makes sense to invest in a designated returner.  Touchbacks will start from the 25 yard line instead of the 20, so the league is really trying to get rid of it.  Invest money and roster spots elsewhere

I think the new touchback rule might backfire. I could see circumstances where teams kick it high and keep it out of the end zone, forcing a return. The thinking is that NFL coaches are too risk averse to do this with any regularity, and that's probably true, but it will be interesting to see if anyone does this often enough for the rule change to basically be negated.

With so many touch backs and a KR on the wrong side of 30 that is just average at the WR position, not sure I want to invest in a roster spot for him. I'd rather go for James Jones if all we want is an experienced vet in the case of an injury.