Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordy Nelson

oldunclemark

The Green Bay receiver who missed last season with a knee injury begins training camp on the PUP list (physically unable to perform)

Does this surprise anyone? Are they just being careful.? is this a big deal?

The season begins in what?   7 weeks..

He's so important to them...and I had heard that he was well on his way to a full recovery.

I think they have 5 pre-season games and he really doesnt need to play in mor e than one or two of them

Is starting camp on the PUP list nothing serious

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Rodgers needs another wide out to emerge, we will see who does. Maybe Jeff Janis, that caught the playoff hail mary TD vs the Cardinals might this year.

I kind of think Randall Cobb is going to step back up and have a lot better year than last? But alias, you are correct in thinking the Packs need someone else to step up. All QBs need at least three receivers or more who have good talent especially to cover injuries throughout the season.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I kind of think Randall Cobb is going to step back up and have a lot better year than last? But alias, you are correct in thinking the Packs need someone else to step up. All QBs need at least three receivers or more who have good talent especially to cover injuries throughout the season.

If the Packers run more and use their TEs more, it might help with the number of plays with their wide outs, IMO, to keep them healthy in the long run. Something I feel the Colts should do as well. They came along fine towards the end with McCarthy calling plays and running more, I think that will carry over to this year.

OK, but is starting camp on the 'PUP' list serious?

Is it a sign of a problem.

Jordy isn't the first coming off knee surgery to start camp on the PUP list...

.....but is it a sign that recovery is going slowly?

Or do you not want a recovering wide receiver to play in the pre-season>?

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Without out knowing the specifics of his recovery it's hard to tell but it's probably more precautionary than anything.  The reason being that a player that starts training camp on the PUP list is elligible to start the season on the PUP list, if they participate in training camp even for part of one practice then, at the start of the season, they have to be on the active roster, cut or placed on IR.  But by starting training camp on the PUP, he can be moved off the pup list at anytime during training camp.

So I would say that right now the team feels it's about 50/50 that Nelson will be ready the first game of the season and fairly confident that he will be ready after week 6.

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

It doesn't mean any of that.

A player who starts camp on PUP can come off any time. If he's not ready for the start of the season, he can stay on PUP and not count toward the 53 man roster. If a player doesn't start camp on PUP, he can't be added to PUP later. So if the Packers aren't sure Nelson will be ready for Week 1, starting him on PUP allows them to preserve a roster spot, just in case.

The Packers said today that Nelson has a very slight strain of his non-surgical knee.

The story claimed he might have 'tweaked' his good knee favoring his bad one..

Supe.....I did not know that.........if a player doesnt start on the PUP list, he cant be added during camp....

But, in this case, it DOES sound like  he's had a very minor setback..which was what I was concerned about