Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hasselbeck

WoolMagnet

So do you guys think he was let go because of age or cap hit ($)?

i know he's as old as Moses, but I thought he played as well (probably better) than we could hope to get from either Backup on current roster.

granted, he's a "manager", but there's no way either of these two on roster give Luck off the field what Hasselbeck did.

or perhaps the team is looking for a younger backup?  As a backup QB behind a franchise QB, Experience is bigger than talent in my view.  Assuming you don't expect to lose your guy for 9 games which hopefully was an anomaly.

i know he looked a lil slow out there but more than made up for it with game smarts.  

He was "let go" mostly because he retired.      Got a good paying gig with ESPN.     That is his long-term future.

As to any other reasons......    his body was breaking down as he got punished last season,  so his performance couldn't hold up.      I'm sure you noticed no other NFL team made him an offer to be their back-up.  

They found a back-up (Tolszein) who the Colts think can do roughly the same for less $$.    

It was just time for the change.    Hasselbeck had to move on.

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was "let go" mostly because he retired.      Got a good paying gig with ESPN.     That is his long-term future.

As to any other reasons......    his body was breaking down as he got punished last season,  so his performance couldn't hold up.      I'm sure you noticed no other NFL team made him an offer to be their back-up.  

They found a back-up (Tolszein) who the Colts think can do roughly the same for less $$.    

It was just time for the change.    Hasselbeck had to move on.

I agree 100%.

His arm had given out on him.  He couldn't throw deep with any accuracy and he couldn't run, so it was very easy to scheme against him.  It was just time to move on.

I think we got our money's worth out of him.

Wow, I did forget the beating he took.  And yes, his arm looked tired.

but that guy gave his all.  Lots of football smarts too, which greatly contributed to his lengthy career and success.

His play/style somewhat reminded me of Jimmy Harbaugh.  I loved the grit that guy had too.  You need those guys around.  Totally changes the team mindset.

off topic, but remember, in Miami, when Jimmy H came up from the bottom of a 22 player scramble for the ball?  It seemed like forever till he got out.  He could barely walk.  Or the time his tooth was knocked out?

oh, Jimmy boy, the memories.

I liked hasselbeck, I wish we had a younger version of him as a backup. But once teams discovered he couldn't throw down the field they just stacked the box against us and played heavy press.