Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Art Jones suspended 4 games

Shepman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hunch.....

But if I had to guess, I'd say Jones took PED's trying to heal faster so he'd be ready to go week #1.

Probably figured he wouldn't be ready without them,  might as well try to sneak past the blood tests even if taking them.         Probably figured he had little to lose except his pay checks.

In short,  he was probably trying to take one for the team if he had to.....

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You and I have very differing opinions on what constitutes "significant contributions."

In his first year with the Colts, the Colts allowed more YPC with Jones that they did without Jones.  Not that is was the sole reason but the tape showed that after the ball was snapped Jones had very little impact on most plays. But that was his first year in a new defense and first time being the starter rather than a rotational guy, so I was hoping he would improve his 2nd year and maybe he did but he got injured before we could find out.

Cut him.

Jones wont be cut this year....mainly because Andersons injury saves Jones bacon more than anything I believe. However reports are Jones is on thin ice and WONT be cut. I believe this will be his last year in indy. Dead cap next year is only 2.2 mill to cut him and his cap hit will be 7.35 mill...If Andersons healthy that will be your starter going forward I believe and Jones will be cut AFTER this year but this year again he is SAFE.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Jones wont be cut this year....mainly because Andersons injury saves Jones bacon more than anything I believe. However reports are Jones is on thin ice and WONT be cut. I believe this will be his last year in indy. Dead cap next year is only 2.2 mill to cut him and his cap hit will be 7.35 mill...If Andersons healthy that will be your starter going forward I believe and Jones will be cut AFTER this year but this year again he is SAFE.

Those two positions are in opposite corners.

If a person is on thin ice,  then they likely WILL be cut.

But if a person is not going to be cut,  then they're typically NOT on thin ice.

Just an observation....

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But if a person is not going to be cut,  then they're typically NOT on thin ice.

Just an observation....

Either way anyone looks at it very small chance he gets cut this year....Next year? I'd put it at better than 50% in my opinion unless when he does return plays out of his mind

I've been a 'pro-Jones' guy this past year when people have been calling for his cut due to the inability to be on the field.  While not attempting to make excuses for the guy, i am wondering if the PED's were used to strengthen his glass ankle?  If so, perhaps it was worththe shot at getting caught in his eyes.  He knew he was on a very slim ledge with Indy, (aka, his restructured contract) so it may have been his plan to make sure his ankle could stand up.  (but why not just wear a brace the next couple years instead?....IDK).

Either way, IDK if that is what is was for.   If it was, Indy may let him sit his 4 games and then go from there, with ANY set-back spelling his doom afterwards.  If it wasn't, then i'd be in that line to give Jones his termination papers.

Breaking news per ESPN: Elliott accused of domestic violence, that isn't good news for the Cowboys Rookie Running Back. He wasn't arrested but Goodell will probably suspend him anyway. I am off topic with the last 2 Posts but instead of starting a new Thread I figured I would just Post this stuff here since Art got suspended.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just an observation....

Sometimes players that are on thin ice aren't cut because of skill or or cap related ramifications but that doesn't mean they aren't on thin ice in the organization. Robert Turbin for example could be on thin ice with the Colts but most likely wont be cut

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

Wow, Grigson's luck with free agents continues :)

He will soon approach this like Bill Polian did - 'stay away from things you're really not good at'.

17 hours ago, masterlock said:

Cut him.

17 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

SMH. He needs gone.

4 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Yep, time to cut him loose

His cap hit 3.6 million, but is still 3.3 million if let go. No savings.  This year. Next? totally differetn story.  His cap hit is 7.35 million if he makes the roster, only 2.2 Million dead cap hit if let go for 2017.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

They don`t Owe him anything for this season. No guarantees.

He had 16 million in guarantees, but I'm not sure how it was worded in his contract (timeframe) to pay it out.  But I assume you are correct and the most, if not all, has already be paid out to Jones. So it is just team structure of the finances right now.

We have some real saints on this forum I see.  It's nice some of you never do wrong or make mistakes.  I'm sure your mothers are very proud.

yea, cut him and string him up by his toes.  Its such a bad thing he did after all.

where were you perfect people when Mathis did the same?  

Maybe one of you should offer to be his mentor.  You know, to give him a role model, someone to aspire to be like.

Thank god, Buddha, jehova and all his witnesses some here don't run the team.

have you even considered the cap, the fact he probably wasn't. Going to be ready game 1 anyway?

no, just throw him out the traitor!

Seriously guys, you need to R-E-L-A-X,  it's football for heavens sake.

with all the shootings, bombings, sickness in the world, and a joke of an election, you.d think you would have more to worry about.  Seriously.  It's only a game.

no wonder jag and Texan fans are laughing at us.  We embarras ourselves.

never happy, never satisfied.  The typical Colt fan.

keep the faith.

or at least try.

peace 

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

We have some real saints on this forum I see.  It's nice some of you never do wrong or make mistakes.  I'm sure your mothers are very proud.

yea, cut him and string him up by his toes.  Its such a bad thing he did after all.

Maybe one of you should offer to be his mentor.  You know, to give him a role model, someone to aspire to be like.

have you even considered the cap, the fact he probably wasn't. Going to be ready game 1 anyway?

with all the shootings, bombings, sickness in the world, and a joke of an election, you.d think you would have more to worry about.  Seriously.  It's only a game.

keep the faith.

or at least try.

peace 

I don't think he should be cut, I say give him another chance. We need to keep depth on the D.Line and he will be fresh coming in Week 5. His Salary isn't really hurting the team either so I would keep him. Regarding Texans and Jags fans laughing at our fans, that is comical in itself. I get what you are saying about some Colts fans, nothing we do as a team satisfies some of us but our expectations are very high every season. Fun facts: Since the AFC South was created in 2002 the Jags have never won the Division and never been passed the Divisional Round and the Texans haven't made it passed the Divisional Round either in the Playoffs and have only won the Division 3 times. We have won the Division 9 times and have been in 4 Championship Games, 2 SB's, and won a SB in that same timeframe. So they can laugh all they want but the joke is on them in reality. Those teams have a long way to go to match our history in the Division!

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think he should be cut, I say give him another chance. We need to keep depth on the D.Line and he will be fresh coming in Week 5. His Salary isn't really hurting the team either so I would keep him. Regarding Texans and Jags fans laughing at our fans, that is comical in itself. I get what you are saying about some Colts fans, nothing we do as a team satisfies some of us but our expectations are very high every season. Fun facts: Since the AFC South was created in 2002 the Jags have never won the Division and never been passed the Divisional Round and the Texans haven't made it passed the Divisional Round either in the Playoffs and have only won the Division 3 times. We have won the Division 9 times and have been in 4 Championship Games, 2 SB's, and won a SB in that same timeframe. So they can laugh all they want but the joke is on them in reality. Those teams have a long way to go to match our history in the Division!

I agree.

finally the voice of reason.

some here should have gone thru the lean years in Baltimore and early years in Indy.

that success we had was due to Manning and more directly, terrible teams in Houston, nashville, and Jax.  The Colts weren't nearly as successful as some think.  We kinda had a free pass to the playoffs, and only really a few successful playoff runs.

perhaps Irsay's most important decision (yes, maybe even bigger than drafting Manning), was switching from the AFC East to the AFF South.  I seriously doubt Lucas Oil stadium would be there had we stayed in the AFC East.  It definitely helped put Indy "on the map" as a football town.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

His salary is only 1.7 million

Actually,2.5 million.  His total cap hit is 3.6 million, but if cut, only 1.1 million in dead cap money.  I reported different earlier... my bad.

And failing the Steroids/PEDs test fully allows the club to remove him from the team roster... if desired.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

keep the faith.

or at least try.

peace 

Was this a serious post? If so, sounds like you're the one that needs to R-E-L-A-X....you brought politics and real world issues into a conversation about football, you know, a GAME.

Mathis has produced, and his violation was suspect. Jones has done NOTHING for this team but take up valuable space. He can't play without getting injured, and now this. I believe in second chances but sometimes hard decisions have to be made for the betterment of the team. Most people in his situation would have made ABSOLUTELY sure that they stayed in line with all the rules, especially with his 2 brothers history. I wish there was some type of wording in his contract that would negate it if he was caught using peds or any other illegal drug.

Jags and Texans fans are laughing at us? Who cares?????

And yes my mother is proud of me, and I DO mentor kids, so if he needs one I'd be more then happy to offer my services, we know he's got plenty of $$$

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Actually,2.5 million.  His total cap hit is 3.6 million, but if cut, only 1.1 million in dead cap money.  I reported different earlier... my bad.

And failing the Steroids/PEDs test fully allows the club to remove him from the team roster... if desired.

So there is wording in the contract? Perfect! Cut him!

Sorry if my opinion  makes me a "typical" colts fan and not a die hard true blue compassionate fan from waaaay back like others on here.

40 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Sorry if my opinion  makes me a "typical" colts fan and not a die hard true blue compassionate fan from waaaay back like others on here.

I wouldn't cut him but I respect your opinion, his act is getting old so I can see why people say cut him.

2 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I wish there was some type of wording in his contract that would negate it if he was caught using peds or any other illegal drug.

There is, it's in the Steroid/PED policy and one every NFL player contract references and mentions must be followed.  Read the last line of this part of the Steroid/PED policy-

Drug_Termination_zpsw6br0svv.jpg

Boom.

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

keep the faith.

or at least try.

peace 

This post doesn't make any sense. So because no one is perfect, no one should face consequences for their actions?  That is one of the weakest arguments.  What's next the, "everyone does it," defense.  OR maybe Jones is just the victim he was driven to it because of the demands of an NFL career.

I know I make mistakes and I have done wrong and I fully expect to pay for my mistakes if I do.  And if I do something that, according to our company polciy, is ground for termination, I'm certainly not going to cry and say, "Well, haven't you ever made a mistake."  Then if I wasn't very good at my job to begin with and I did something as ground for termination I would fully expect to be terminated.

The next part doesn't make any sense either, somehow because someone posts that Jones should be cut means they are not worrying about ISIS attacks, muslims taking over the world by force, etc.  I guess since you posted on this thread as well that means you don't worry about those things either and you need to "R-E-L-A-X".

The guy screwed up, he deserves whatever punishment he receives, even if that means being cut from the team.