Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest weakness going into camp and most potential to improve from last season?

theanarchist

Right Tackle.

I'm a big fan of Joe in the 6th man/utility lineman slot, but he's a better guard than tackle. He does not have the game to defend against quality speed rushers on the edge. The situation on the right side of the O-line is still shaky, and that edge is going to fold against the quick steppers. I believe Cole has burned him twice in camp and Cole couldn't corner anyone last year.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, theanarchist said:

What's everyone think? I think we can all agree that this team has some pretty glaring weaknesses, in no particular order- offensive line, pass rush, defensive secondary, RB depth.

Those are the ones that I see.Personally I think we are going to struggle all year with rushing the passer. This area of the team wasn't addressed at all in the off season and its an aging group of players. Hopefully the down linemen can provide some push and pick up the slack that I think is going to be created by the lack of a true edge rush threat. No disrespect to Robert Mathis but he isn't in his prime and even tho I think he'll provide some pass rush he isnt likely to produce double digit sacks this year nor is any of the other options that I see at OLB.

I think the offensive line has the most potential for improvement. The combination of a new coach and one who is well respected along with the addition of a lot of young talent there should hopefully keep Luck in the game and provide some holes for the RB's.

I'm fairly worried about the secondary. Outside of Vontae Davis the CB position is shaky in my opinion. At safety we have an aging Mike Adams at one spot and a 2nd year player who will need to acclimate quickly. I wasn't impressed with the selection of Green in the 2nd round. After watching some video on him it makes me wonder how they thought this guy was worth a 2nd round pick and I don't see any way he can provide much of anything in his first year beyond maybe special teams. Hope I'm wrong.

The RB situation is also a bit concerning, beyond the aging Frank Gore(who I really like and have always been a fan), we have some unknowns. Not only running the ball but in pass protection. Can the young guys block?

It's sure to be an interesting year.

It's ironic that many here agree that there are multple glaring weaknesses and question marks on our team BUT when someone from media picks us to have a .500 record or worse they are made fun of.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, twfish said:

Hmmm I disagree with the WR being your number 2 weakness. T.y and donte will produce. Watch the Miami game from last year and how dorsett played, that's the level that I think he will play above this season. Also after doing some in depth research I really think we have some udfa wr steals

I also agree the lack of wr depth is a major concern. This team will go only as far as the offense takes it. And we all know our running game won't take us far and I doubt the TE's will either.

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's ironic that many here agree that there are multple glaring weaknesses and question marks on our team BUT when someone from media picks us to have a .500 record or worse they are made fun of.

Every team has weaknesses, but we all know that a great QB can cover them up.

IMHO the only glaring weakness is rush LB.  

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I also agree the lack of wr depth is a major concern. This team will go only as far as the offense takes it. And we all know our running game won't take us far and I doubt the TE's will either.

I think Doyle is going to surprise this year. He was a pass catching TE coming out of WKU. We turned him into a blocker. 

I'm excited about the young guys we have at WR. I really like Smith and Leaks potential. Tymes going down was a matter of time probably best it happened early. I hope we give the young guys a long look. Bray had a good camp at WR last year. Finding a vet shouldn't be a problem if need be. 

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What team has WR depth?

Our we depth, starting at #4 are guys who are Undrafted rookies. They have Never caught a pass in the nfl. 

Most other teams depth are mid-range veterans or high to mid round draft picks. With a injury or two to our top 3, we could field  as our #2 & #3 guys who were not thought highly enough to be drafted with zero catches on their resume.

And this is a unit perceived as our strength!

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Our we depth, starting at #4 are guys who are Undrafted rookies. They have Never caught a pass in the nfl. 

Most other teams depth are mid-range veterans or high to mid round draft picks. With a injury or two to our top 3, we could field  as our #2 & #3 guys who were not thought highly enough to be drafted with zero catches on their resume.

And this is a unit perceived as our strength!

Meh.  Colts won a playoff game throwing touchdown passes to two guys who we're later cut in the CFL.....Duh'Rick and Brazill. 

The skill positions are overrated IMO, I worry far more about line depth on both sides of the ball, OLB and the safety positions.