Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

J.J. Watt out 6-8 weeks with Back Surgery.....

NewColtsFan

Apparently Watt has already had back surgery....   perhaps within the last week....   and is said to need a 6-8 week timeline for healing.

That would put him back roughly around the start of the season.        Of course,  that assumes that all goes well with the recovery.

Here's your story from ESPN.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17121935/jj-watt-houston-texans-back-surgery-ok-season-opener

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

WOW! He has been saying stuff like that he probably wont play for a long time. Having a bad back is the worst. I am sure he will be ready for the season but any kind of surgery is scary.

That's right......Bad back? Minor back surgery? I am not so sure he'll start the season.

He could be back in 6 weeks or it could be a little longer

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently Watt has already had back surgery....   perhaps within the last week....   and is said to need a 6-8 week timeline for healing.

That would put him back roughly around the start of the season.        Of course,  that assumes that all goes well with the recovery.

Here's your story from ESPN.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17121935/jj-watt-houston-texans-back-surgery-ok-season-opener

Talking maybe 10 weeks now.

NFL.com's Mike Garafolo reports J.J. Watt's (back surgery) recovery could take up to 10 weeks.

Watt underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc on Wednesday. As is often the case with injury timelines, Watt's has gone from overly optimistic to more concerning in only a matter of hours. Houston's Week 3 Thursday night game is just nine weeks from today. Watt is now a serious candidate to miss the entire first month of the season, with the reserve/PUP list perhaps even an outside possibility. That would be the worst-case scenario.

I assume he over-trained. As someone who's dealt with several lower back injuries, they never seem to get 100% better. When you wear down that disc, it's gone, and it's not like you have a second back like you do an arm. He's going to feel this one for a long time, especially as he trains.

One thing is for certain, he probably won't be doing these for a while, if ever:

323alcx.gif

As someone who has had herniated disk surgery, it is no joke. 6-8 weeks is extremely optimistic. For the first month after surgery you can't twist or bend over to pick anything up and you're not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds. 6-8 weeks is when he can start to resume training but he likely won't be throwing the same kind of weight around for many months. I wish him the best but he should really take his time with it or it will bother him the rest of his life.

This is an example of some of the things that happen during a football season to trump the offseason predictions.  The predictions are based on everything being 100 percent right with a team.  Once the injuries and other stuff start happening it changes the dynamic of what was possible.  

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I assume he over-trained. As someone who's dealt with several lower back injuries, they never seem to get 100% better. When you wear down that disc, it's gone, and it's not like you have a second back like you do an arm. He's going to feel this one for a long time, especially as he trains.

One thing is for certain, he probably won't be doing these for a while, if ever:

323alcx.gif

Or it could be he runs into other large men at a high rate of speed for a living.

Of course I have no idea how he herniated his disc, but I do know about injuries and what your body does to compensate for them when you have them. Watt had several injuries over the season, and continued to play with them. He had torn abdominal muscles, and also a tear in the groin, and a broken finger or hand? These are the kind of injuries your body starts compensating for, which actually makes things worse. Watt is one tough sucker to play through all the injuries he had, and still had the stats he had for the season and DPOY. Amazing. Still, I wonder if one injury may have caused a snowball effect with his body. The smallest injury affects every part of your body, but as a Football player, they are trained to block it out, sometimes to their detriment. I still give the man props, but I would be thinking 10 weeks and not trying to rush back. Herniated discs are not to be messed around with!

Dontari Poe had something similar last year, and in a similar time frame.  Poe was 'not playing very well' early in the year.  This is what should be a yellow flag to Texans fans. Somewhat similar to Luck and his kidney laceration in a specific way, this isn't as much about 'toughness' to get in there early from rehab, but being in a condition to execute at a high level without the injury affecting play, or being open to re-injury.

I think Poe even had a High Ankle sprain early in the season last year as well.  Was this due to techniques used because/for not having full core strength?  Who knows, but it is something to think about.

Recover is not a light switch. It's not off 6 weeks and 5 days into rehab then magically on at 7 weeks and 3 days; fully healed. It is a gradual process so the team will get a better idea as time marches on.  Right now it is all speculation / guesswork.

I know one thing they are not near the same team without him just like we aren't without a HEALTHY Andrew. This injury and recovery will be interesting to follow and watch. A lot of us in here including myself kept thinking Andrew would come back and would be back by the Houston game and he never came back. A back injury is nothing to mess around with, that type of injury can end a career. As fan I would like for the Colts to play them at full strength as it would be more satisfying if we beat them. Hopefully he recovers, I don't wish injury on anyone. The league is better when he's playing, he and Andrew are the 2 faces of the Division.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

But ten or eleven will :)

Ready for the season? We had some great chats last season. You got me last season and won the Division. I jinxed the Site haha (sarcasm). I think between you guys, Jags, and Colts it will be fun following it all season. I do hope Watt gets healthy, he is one of my favorite players in the league. I wish the Colts had him!

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ready for the season? We had some great chats last season. You got me last season and won the Division. I jinxed the Site haha (sarcasm). I think between you guys, Jags, and Colts it will be fun following it all season. I do hope Watt gets healthy, he is one of my favorite players in the league. I wish the Colts had him!

Oh I've been ready since February when the SB ended, man. Lol. Yeah we pulled it out through all the ugliness, but things will be back to the usual grittiness with Andrew coming back healthy. We are both very lucky to have superstars that are fun to watch on our teams. Blake is also looking good in Jacksonville with the Allen Bros. I want to see if the rivalries can truly develop in the AFC South. It's time for football, man! 

Just now, QwizBoy said:

Oh I've been ready since February when the SB ended, man. Lol. Yeah we pulled it out through all the ugliness, but things will be back to the usual grittiness with Andrew coming back healthy. We are both very lucky to have superstars that are fun to watch on our teams. Blake is also looking good in Jacksonville with the Allen Bros. I want to see if the rivalries can truly develop in the AFC South. It's time for football, man! 

I think a lot of it boils down to Oz too. I am critical of him but he could be Good. Who knows? I do think he is an upgrade for you guys. Hoyer and Weeden were shaky.

On July 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know one thing they are not near the same team without him just like we aren't without a HEALTHY Andrew. This injury and recovery will be interesting to follow and watch. A lot of us in here including myself kept thinking Andrew would come back and would be back by the Houston game and he never came back. A back injury is nothing to mess around with, that type of injury can end a career. As fan I would like for the Colts to play them at full strength as it would be more satisfying if we beat them. Hopefully he recovers, I don't wish injury on anyone. (EXCEPT TOM BRADY) The league is better when he's playing, he and Andrew are the 2 faces of the Division.

Fixed it for you