Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles trade up to #2 overall for a QB, and...

ColtsBlueFL

Carson Wentz will most likely sit on the inactive (healthy scratch) list during the season.  Yes, their ?Franchise? QB of the future won't even dress for the games, let alone play.  Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel occupy the Starter / Backup roles right now.  3rd QB is often down, as mentioned here-

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Doug-Pederson-explains-why-Carson-Wentz-could-be-inactive-this-season.html

But they still feel he just may be that Franchise QB down the road.   Just.... not this year.   Unless...

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/05/30/philadelphia-eagles-jeffrey-lurie-carson-wentz-trade/

17 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Carson Wentz will most likely sit on the inactive (healthy scratch) list during the season.  Yes, their ?Franchise? QB of the future won't even dress for the games, let alone play.  Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel occupy the Starter / Backup roles right now.  3rd QB is often down, as mentioned here-

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Doug-Pederson-explains-why-Carson-Wentz-could-be-inactive-this-season.html

But they still feel he just may be that Franchise QB down the road.   Just.... not this year.   Unless...

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/05/30/philadelphia-eagles-jeffrey-lurie-carson-wentz-trade/

Now we know why they have never won a SB haha 

The plan was always to sit him, and depending on how the season goes, he may be added back to the active roster. As a FCS player, I think a season on the sidelines would help him a lot, as I do other QB's. With spread offenses today, to many players are rushed to start. Spread offense is like basic math compared to calculus when they get to the NFL. Wentz did play in a pro system though, but they were a very heavy run team. Still, they said right after the draft, the plan was not to play him. Jacksonville said the same thing, but after the 5 games, changed their minds. Philly may do the same?

22 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

The plan was always to sit him, and depending on how the season goes, he may be added back to the active roster. As a FCS player, I think a season on the sidelines would help him a lot, as I do other QB's. With spread offenses today, to many players are rushed to start. Spread offense is like basic math compared to calculus when they get to the NFL. Wentz did play in a pro system though, but they were a very heavy run team. Still, they said right after the draft, the plan was not to play him. Jacksonville said the same thing, but after the 5 games, changed their minds. Philly may do the same?

20 hours ago, Jason_S said:

More teams should probably take this approach.  I don't really see anything wrong with their plans.  It just won't please the "Immediate satisfaction required" crowd.

I really do see the point you both make.  But... Bradford and Daniel are taking up tons of Cap space already, and add Wentz in on top.

Cap Hit          Dead Cap

Bradford         12.5 mil         18.0 mil
                       22.5 mil         5.5 mil

Daniel              5.0 mil         12.0 mil
                        8.0 mil          7.0 mil

Wentz              4.85 mil        26.2 mil
                          6.0 mil        21.8 mil
                        7.28 mil        15.75 mil
                        8.49 mil         8.49 mil  (All 4 years fully guaranteed)
                        5th year option?

That's the QB's taking up 23.4 million in cap hit this year, while A. Luck takes up 18.4 for thje Colts.  People complain paying Andrew makes it hard to field a team around him...  So how about the way the Eagles are doing it?  They trade away draft picks to get Wentz, then stash him on the inactive list and give him little to no reps.  It's apparent Bradford is as good as gone next year.  But will Carson be improved enough to beat out Chase Daniel?  Wentz might have to wait until past halfway of his rookie deal to get the starting gig.

This has been the plan all along.        This is not a new development.   

They didn't get Wentz into camp,  find out he sucks,  and decide to deactivate him all year.    This has been the Eagles plan. 

I wouldn't be making fun of Philadelphia just yet.    The Eagles make get the last laugh yet.......

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This has been the plan all along.        This is not a new development.   

They didn't get Wentz into camp,  find out he sucks,  and decide to deactivate him all year.    This has been the Eagles plan. 

I wouldn't be making fun of Philadelphia just yet.    The Eagles make get the last laugh yet.......

OK, why would they sign Chase Daniel?  Daniel will be taking important reps away from developing Wentz.  He does not have good stats and is getting good chunk of cash for filling as the backup. Carson has a long way to go before being a Franchise QB and hee needs those backup QB reps. But if he somehow turns out like Aaron Rodgers in 3 years, maybe it was well worth the short term cap pain and QB logjam.

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, why would they sign Chase Daniel?  Daniel will be taking important reps away from developing Wentz.  He does not have good stats and is getting good chunk of cash for filling as the backup. Carson has a long way to go before being a Franchise QB and hee needs those backup QB reps. But if he somehow turns out like Aaron Rodgers in 3 years, maybe it was well worth the short term cap pain and QB logjam.

They signed Daniel long before they made the trade to move up and draft Went.

Daneil is the back-up to Bradford.     

Then, the worked out Wentz,   they liked him,   they had to find out if they could make a series of trades to move up and get the 2nd overall pick....    and then they drafted him.     But they knew he wasn't going to be ready to play at the start.     So,  they're giving Wentz a redshirt year to get up to speed.

Next year,  they either trade Bradford,  or, if they can't,  release him.     And focus on Wentz being the starter.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Next year,  they either trade Bradford,  or, if they can't,  release him.     And focus on Wentz being the starter.

I can see Bradford getting kicked to the curb, but I see no path for Wentz to 'develop' into a starting QB.  Bradford and Daniel will use up all the coach time and practice reps ion preparing for games this season.  Where is Wentz going to get coaching and meaningful reps to be ready next year?  That is my question.  If they have no QB on their practice squad, he will get the job emulating the next opponents QB, not developing his potential.  And though he is eligible, there is no way the Eagles can place Wentz on the PS; they'll lkose him to another team pronto.

This years Eagles will be as interesting as last years.

The biggest knock on all the QB's that came out in this draft is that none were immediate starters. I didn't even beleive any really had a early to mid first round grade personally, however this is a very qb hungry league and alot was given up for potential just glad we have our franchise qb

On 7/21/2016 at 2:01 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Bradford goes down or fails, I predict (assuming we're at least 4 games in) that Wentz comes in over Daniel and starts... when they signed those guys, they didn't know they could get up to #2.  Bradford was always a short term safety valve.  Daniel (a guy I liked a lot in college and hoped we might get as the Colts backup) has barely seen the field to date and is simply a backup to a likely injury prone Bradford, but now will be Wentz's backup should Bradford fail or get hurt.  Let's see it play out. 

The reason why Bradford was so angry was that he thought signing the 1+1 deal he would likely be in a position to increase his value and land that long term lucrative deal.....so he signs the big 1 yr deal thinking he can rebound from the Kelly experience and boom....team guts the team by giving away Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso, and Demarco Murray. Turn around and sign a backup qb to a long term lucrative deal and then take your first rd pick and next years to move up and take a qb....further undercutting any chance that Sam would have the team around him that could compete the next couple years....yeah I'd be ticked too. Eagles are rebuilding more-so than reloading and with Wentz not even playing you can sense this team is a few years away at least. Don't get me wrong Sam is way way overpaid but I could see his gripe. They probably sold him on one thing than turned around and stripped away any resemblance of a team around him, spent a fortune on his back up and then on top of that they drafted his replacement. Hard to be too loyal to an employer that sold you out like that.