Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sight TE and release QB

Gavin

Colts sign TE Emil Igwenagu and waive QB Josh Woodrum. Igwenagu has played 2 seasons with the Eagles totaling 3 games in 2012 and 2013 with 1 start in those 3 games. No catches......Do it all FB/TE/ H-Back. Master of none type but a good kid that's going to come in and work

10 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Do we know anything else about him?

Igwenagu is an intriguing prospect who never really found a consistent position at UMass, but contributed as a tight end and could play the role of a hybrid H-back type player in the NFL. He can run well for his size and is crafty in getting open, catching the ball, and moving up the field. He isn't a deep threat and gets his production in close, mostly on short first downs. He could be a late-round flier for a team looking to use him on short passing downs. He's 6'1 runs a 4.84 40.

Taken from nfl.

I think they have very little intention to use him as a Tight End.  He's more of a Fullback type.  From what I've seen of some of Chuds offense there usually is some type of use of a full back a la Lorenzo Neal.  I kept wondering to myself if they would be adding a fullback at some point.  

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I think they have very little intention to use him as a Tight End.  He's more of a Fullback type.  From what I've seen of some of Chuds offense there usually is some type of use of a full back a la Lorenzo Neal.  I kept wondering to myself if they would be adding a fullback at some point.  

So you think he will be used as our full back? I kind of thought Doyle would fill that role? Unless running a 2 TE, 2 RB 1 wr set.?

what are your thoughts krunk?

23 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

So you think he will be used as our full back? I kind of thought Doyle would fill that role? Unless running a 2 TE, 2 RB 1 wr set.?

While Doyle has filled that role in the past I can definitely see them searching for someone else to play FB since Doyle will atleast start the season as #2 TE and the other TE we have are definitely much better suited for the TE role and less of FB. If they do decide too keep a FB that's more dedicated to that position don't be surprised if Tyler Varga takes the role 

15 hours ago, krunk said:

That's what I was also thinking after the reading of this signing. Hopefully this could be one of those diamond in the rough signings. You never know?

10 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

This is a different offense than the Pep Hamilton offense.  Think 90s Cowboys, Emmit Smith, Daryl Johnston, 3 WR Sets.  Also some of the previous Ravens teams with Vontae Leach.   I don't think it will fully feature a fullback all the time and I'm sure they could tweak some looks to put Doyle in the back field if they wanted, but this style of offense the other tight end usually fulfills a blocking role on the line of scrimmage. They catch the occasional pass here and there, but not that many.  Most of Chudzinskis offenses you will have that one star tight end and the other Tight End you won't know that much about that guy. Chudzinski studied under Norv Turner. Norv Turner was the OC of those 90s Cowboys.  Not sure if it was the entire time, but most of the time overall.

Most of the tight end passes will be going to Dwayne Allen I believe.  I'm assuming theymay be looking at some scenarios where they want to use a true full back possibly.   Varga could also fill that role, but he may be better suited as a Tailback.  I like Varga as a player (I didn't at first) but I'm kinda shaky on his durability with the 4 month concussion stuff. We'll see!

15 hours ago, krunk said:

This is a different offense than the Pep Hamilton offense.  Think 90s Cowboys, Emmit Smith, Daryl Johnston, 3 WR Sets.  Also some of the previous Ravens teams with Vontae Leach.   I don't think it will fully feature a fullback all the time and I'm sure they could tweak some looks to put Doyle in the back field if they wanted, but this style of offense the other tight end usually fulfills a blocking role on the line of scrimmage. They catch the occasional pass here and there, but not that many.  Most of Chudzinskis offenses you will have that one star tight end and the other Tight End you won't know that much about that guy. Chudzinski studied under Norv Turner. Norv Turner was the OC of those 90s Cowboys.  Not sure if it was the entire time, but most of the time overall.

Most of the tight end passes will be going to Dwayne Allen I believe.  I'm assuming theymay be looking at some scenarios where they want to use a true full back possibly.   Varga could also fill that role, but he may be better suited as a Tailback.  I like Varga as a player (I didn't at first) but I'm kinda shaky on his durability with the 4 month concussion stuff. We'll see!

Thanks Krunk i like your take on things.