Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dallas Clark

AKB

Our 2006 team was loaded! Besides having Peyton leading the way with Marvin, Reggie, Saturday, Glenn, Addai, and Rhodes we had Dallas Clark = a Great pass catching TE. Our Defense had Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, and Brackett, all of these players were special. Vinny was automatic kicking FG's as well. How we even lost a game is puzzling, we started 9-0 that season but did lay a couple of eggs late in the season like against at Jacks. We were 10-0 at home including the Playoffs = undefeated at home. Glad this team is being honored this upcoming season.

Dallas would have made a couple of pro bowls had it not been for Tony Gonzalez representing the AFC all those years. The was a couple of times Dallas deserved to go to the pro bowl over Tony but Tony was an automatic regardless if he had the best year between the two. On a side note I have a white Dallas Clark jersey.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dallas would have made a couple of pro bowls had it not been for Tony Gonzalez representing the AFC all those years. The was a couple of times Dallas deserved to go to the pro bowl over Tony but Tony was an automatic regardless if he had the best year between the two. On a side note I have a white Dallas Clark jersey.

I agree with your Post and Clark was a solid security blanket for Peyton at key times. Our whole team had playmakers on Offense and Defense. Actually between 2003-2009 I was shocked when we lost a game because it rarely happened. Even in the Playoffs we were 9-6 in that 7 year span = 60% winning's and won the Conference twice and a SB.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our 2006 team was loaded! Besides having Peyton leading the way with Marvin, Reggie, Saturday, Glenn, Addai, and Rhodes we had Dallas Clark = a Great pass catching TE. Our Defense had Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, and Brackett, all of these players were special. Vinny was automatic kicking FG's as well. How we even lost a game is puzzling, we started 9-0 that season but did lay a couple of eggs late in the season like against at Jacks. We were 10-0 at home including the Playoffs = undefeated at home. Glad this team is being honored this upcoming season.

Reading all those names fills me with pride. Thinking back on those names, I feel ticked we only won a single Superbowl during the Manning era. It really speaks volumes about how awful Jim Caldwell was.

45 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Reading all those names fills me with pride. Thinking back on those names, I feel ticked we only won a single Superbowl during the Manning era. It really speaks volumes about how awful Jim Caldwell was.

In defense of Caldwell, he was not the only reason we lost that super bowl. Manning throwing a pick. Wayne running a lazy route and Freeney being injured. Caldwell was not on the field to recover an on side kick either. Caldwell gets a lot of blame but he got the Colts to the super bowl and done a good enough job to draw interest from the NFL. He is now a head coach. Look at what he did with Flacco, just a super bowl. What has Flacco done since Caldwell left for the head coaching job?

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dallas would have made a couple of pro bowls had it not been for Tony Gonzalez

Him, and Antonio Gates.  Clark was pro bowl quality, just no room at the inn with those two Basketball/Tight End hybrid players.  Clark's soft hands seemed like magnets to the pigskin.  Loved our 2000 decade teams, especially the middle years.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We only lost divisional games that year.  Jags blew us out...just ran all over us.  Lost to the Titans by a record FG by Bironas.  And the Texans by a FG.  I think the Jags game changed us.  We got to the playoffs and our defense made the Ravens D look like kittens

43 minutes ago, bradgt04 said:

We only lost divisional games that year.  Jags blew us out...just ran all over us.  Lost to the Titans by a record FG by Bironas.  And the Texans by a FG.  I think the Jags game changed us.  We got to the playoffs and our defense made the Ravens D look like kittens

I know, what's funny about that team is we were 3-3 in the Division. We also lost to the Cowboys 21-14 when we were 9-0. We finished 12-4, 16-4 including the Playoffs so we reached that 80% winning pct combined which I label a single season Great team. We should've went 14-2 in reality, like you said Bironas beat us on a 60 Yard FG and I think we overlooked the Texans so we lost that one on a last second FG as well. The Jags were the only team that kicked our butt.

4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

If you look at our run from 2006-2009 with several of those players we were 51-13 in the Regular Season = 79.7 winning% and 6-3 in the Playoffs = 66.7 wining% with 2 Conference Championships (2006/2009) and a SuperBowl Championship in 2006. Marvin wasn't there in 2009, he retired after the 2008 Season, Bob was injured in 2009 and so was Vinny, Glenn was also retired as well. Had we had those 4 players in their prime we would've won 2 SuperBowl's in that 4 season gap IMO, Freeney was also injured against the Saints in the 2009 Season SuperBowl. Our 2006 team was much more loaded compared to the 2009 team. Remember the FG Stover missed in the 2009 SuperBowl, that was another huge blunder we had, Vinny probably nails that. Maybe if Dungy was Coach we win in 2009 as well, who knows?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know, what's funny about that team is we were 3-3 in the Division. We also lost to the Cowboys 21-14 when we were 9-0. We finished 12-4, 16-4 including the Playoffs so we reached that 80% winning pct combined which I label a single season Great team. We should've went 14-2 in reality, like you said Bironas beat us on a 60 Yard FG and I think we overlooked the Texans so we lost that one on a last second FG as well. The Jags were the only team that kicked our butt.

I forgot about the Cowboys!  That pass to Clark just a tad out of reach

Thanks for posting this! 

Can you imagine being the opposing LB having to cover Dallas Clark? Saturday Night is going to be rough thinking of having to cover him the next day. Plus he was making CB's look bad as well. 

........and HIS HANDS!!! 

What an excellent player he was. 

On 7/17/2016 at 8:44 AM, bradgt04 said:

Nobody gave us a chance in the playoffs (me imcluded honestly cause our run defense was horrid) I remember how everybody expected Larry Johnson to run 200+ yards on us and he only ended up with like 30 yards. It was amazing how the defense came together in those playoffs. A healthy bob sanders obviously helped too.

14 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I remember the huge catch he made inside his elbow to extend a late drive for a FG against Balitmore. That was such a huge catch.  Dallas you need to be on ring of honor 

That was one of Peytons best throws too. Super small window and Peyton somehow put it to where only Clark could catch it. Amazing play.

15 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I remember the huge catch he made inside his elbow to extend a late drive for a FG against Balitmore. That was such a huge catch.  Dallas you need to be on ring of honor 

I think that was on third down too in that divisional. 

That might be my all time favorite Colts playoff game at times. I loved the defensive slug feast and the clutchness of the entire offense in that one.

And Adam and those FGs......omg........when Dungy mouthed money. Yep.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

That was one of Peytons best throws too. Super small window and Peyton somehow put it to where only Clark could catch it. Amazing play.

I remember hearing Ray Lewis talking about that pass and catch. He said it was the greatest pitch and catch he had ever seen.

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Nobody gave us a chance in the playoffs (me imcluded honestly cause our run defense was horrid) I remember how everybody expected Larry Johnson to run 200+ yards on us and he only ended up with like 30 yards. It was amazing how the defense came together in those playoffs. A healthy bob sanders obviously helped too.

That game was amazing just for that fact alone.  Sanders alone Completely changed our defense.  That next year he won DPOY

Loved Dallas Clark! (Bill Polian said that when the Colts were drafting receivers, they would look for great hands, route running and the ability to think quickly and make adjustments). These were common traits of Dallas, Reggie and Marvin, (among others).

Some point to Peyton having great receivers, which made it easy for him to rack up numbers. But I wonder if Peyton didn't help to make them better? That's not to take anything away from the individual talents of Colts' receivers, but it was a complimentary dynamic. 

9 hours ago, Jules said:

I think that was on third down too in that divisional. 

That might be my all time favorite Colts playoff game at times. I loved the defensive slug feast and the clutchness of the entire offense in that one.

And Adam and those FGs......omg........when Dungy mouthed money. Yep.

And how about McNair driving the field only to throw a pick on the goal line. That team sure came together.  #Bob Sanders, #Booger McFarland

7 hours ago, bradgt04 said:

That game was amazing just for that fact alone.  Sanders alone Completely changed our defense.  That next year he won DPOY

Bob was the key, but there was a mid season addition that actually allowed us to transition from a pass defense team (2nd in the league) to stuff the run in the post season.  Anthony McFarland.  With the Corey Simon signing failure (he was placed on non-football injury list) and replacement Monte Reagor being injured in a car accident (I think heading to a game!), we had no DT/UT 'run stopper' in the middle.  We traded for Anthony "Booger" McFarland, and he started immediately vs. the Redskins next game.  He stuffed Portis on the 1st play, then clogged the middle and opened a gap for Gardener to stuff Portis for a 3 yard loss the next play.

Typically trading a second round draft for an aging (29?) underachieving DL is not smart, but we had a great pass rush and decent secondary, with a legitimate Super Bowl chance .  Even the LB's could cover.  McFarland was a one (1/2) year flash but filled a critical need in our D line so that everyone else could do their job without worrying about covering for the NT.  It's a team game, and Bob was a major plug in on his comeback.  But I feel the McFarland trade immediately (he was a Tampa 2 DL for Dungy for the Bucs and Indy) covered another glaring hole up front that allowed the worst regular season run defense in SB history (something like 170+ yards per game, 5.33 yards per carry) to stiffen up when needed and deliver the Championship!

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Bob was the key, but there was a mid season addition that actually allowed us to transition from a pass defense team (2nd in the league) to stuff the run in the post season.  Anthony McFarland.  With the Corey Simon signing failure (he was placed on non-football injury list) anbd replacement Monte Reagor being injured in a car accident (I think heading to the game!), we had no DT/UT 'run stopper' in the middle.  We traded for Anthony "Booger" McFarland, and he started immediately vs. the Redskins next game.  He stuffed Portis on the 1st play, then clogged the middle and opened a gap for Gardener to stuff Portis for a 3 yard loss the next play.

Typically trading a second round draft for an aging (29?) underachieving DL is not smart, but we had a great pass rush and decent secondary, with a legitimate Super Bowl chance .  Even the LB's could cover.  McFarland was a one (1/2) year flash but filled a critical need in our D line so that everyone else could do their job without worrying about covering for the NT.  It's a team game, but Bob was a major plug in on his comeback.  But I feel the McFarland trade immediately (he was a Tampa 2 DL for Dungy for the Bucs and Indy) covered another glaring hole up front that allowed the worst regular season run defense in SB history (something like 170+ yards per game, 5.33 yards per carry) to stiffen up when needed and deliver the Championship!

Signing Boog was huge!

On 7/17/2016 at 5:03 AM, ReMeDy said:

I totally agree.   Caldwell was and still is a lousy coach.  

7 hours ago, bradgt04 said:

Ive said it a hundred times but its such a damn shame Bob wasnt 2 or 3 inches taller. Him being so small was just a killer, his body just couldnt handle it. He was well on his way to being one of the best colts defensive players in history. He was a monster in 2007.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I remember hearing Ray Lewis talking about that pass and catch. He said it was the greatest pitch and catch he had ever seen.

It was amazing. My memory is a bit faulty but I think it was Ed Reed covering Clark on that play too. One of the best passes and catches against one of the best safties in NFL history is damn impressive.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

And how about McNair driving the field only to throw a pick on the goal line. That team sure came together.  #Bob Sanders, #Booger McFarland

Still can't believe Bethea held on to it after running into another colts player (forget who it was) but he fell straight to the ground.

32 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

It was amazing. My memory is a bit faulty but I think it was Ed Reed covering Clark on that play too. One of the best passes and catches against one of the best safties in NFL history is damn impressive.

It was Corey Ivy, and it was incredible coverage.  Peyton had released the ball before Dallas even came out of his break.  Ivy was in front of Clark and the ball grazed the fingers of his outstretched arm. the ball hit Dallas' outstretched forearm, bounced off his left thigh pad into his chest where Clark's left arm then secured it in for the catch. it was a critical 3rd down play IIRC.

I was a little young to get to fully experience the mid 2000's colts team. I remember hearing my mom scream during the 2006 AFC game versus the pats when we made the comeback. It's nice to get a peak into the history and nostalgia through the forum here!

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I was a little young to get to fully experience the mid 2000's colts team. I remember hearing my mom scream during the 2006 AFC game versus the pats when we made the comeback. It's nice to get a peak into the history and nostalgia through the forum here!

A lot of people in here know their history so it is a good place to come for that. I have been a fan since 1984 but there are a few in here that loved the Colts when they were in Baltimore and bring that history up as well.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people in here know their history so it is a good place to come for that. I have been a fan since 1984 but there are a few in here that loved the Colts when they were in Baltimore and bring that history up as well.

I hope one day I'll be speaking about the greatest stretch in colts history under Luck, and bringing that same nostalgia to others in the future.