Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Retiring Peyton's Jersey

teresa0955

40 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I come to read and post about my favorite team. Then I see you berating others for No reason, and I was stooooopud enough to ask why do you seem mad all the time. 

You took it from there, reinforcing my view.

Sorry. I'm old, haven't been on a 6th grade playground since 1966. I didn't realize such an innocent question was code inviting a fight to today's generation.  If there's an ignore list, put me on it.I'll go back to reading,and leave being the tough kid to you...

Why are you continuing this? This is a forum. That where discussions and debates take place in case you hadn't noticed. Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like my opinions or what I have to say.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So now your the forums protector when ever I say something you don't like? I am pretty sure who ever I speak to or make comments to are quite capable of speaking and defending themselves if they have a problem with me. And now you want to insult me by calling me a derogatory name? Having a different opinion or point of view is not attacking anyone. I have been civil to you even though you have gone out of your way to try to cause a problem. You can use your own code words to insult me but that's OK because what you have to say to me means zero.

Just chill out man.   We're all on the same team 

14 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Then the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns.  The NFL mandated the name change to approve the move.

I understand, it's Irsay' s team

He can call it what he wants (if the NFL approves).  I just think it would have been smoother for all with a clean break, New start. We'd have more numbers for Colts receivers!

Why do you post like you're angry all the time?  This is just a message board. No one should be upset here- nothing we post can change anything.  Relax, it's all good...

They should be the Browns.

crazy has anger issues.

On 7/15/2016 at 9:41 PM, oldunclemark said:

Okay but if 18 is retired (I assume 19 is retired) wont we eventually run out of numbers?

not if we save it for guys that had as much impact as peyton.  that means you have to be more than just a hall of famer. we are talking first ballot lock that brought our only super bowl win to indy so far

53 man roster, plus a retired number or two still leaves plenty of room

On 7/25/2016 at 8:31 PM, jimmy g said:

I'm not just that thought about the Colts. I wish every move of every team started a new history. For instance, the NY Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles. The modern Orioles were once the St Louis Brown's. I seriously doubt anyone in Los Angeles even knows what a Trolley-Dodger is, nor people in Utah understand why they are the Jazz.

I'm from L.A I could care less about a Trolley Dodger but our Rams left & so did there history as did the Raiders & bye the way i'm pretty sure the Chargers started in L.A , As for the Colts the franchise minus the name started not in Baltimore & its history is Colts history regardless of the City they reside in , Baltimore gave them the name COLTS but they couldd'nt give them a new stadium , Indianapolis did starting with the HOOSIER DOME later renamed the RCA Dome & the LOS , We value our team & history we don't let them play in a broke down mess of a stadium sharing it with a baseball team or threaten eminent domain or vote not to use public funds for badly needed improvements or steal the brain trust & team formerly known as the Browns calling them the Ravens , I'v heard many fans of the early Colts whine in the past & present & I'll tell you the same,

if they mattered so much then why did'nt the mayor & fans try to keep them ? And if the fans feel they got a raw deal in Baltimore why do they celebrate stealing another cities team ?  Your here obviously Indy is a better City so look forward & enjoy if you'd like to leave I doubt we would threaten you with eminent domain or shed a tear at your departure .:applause:

You & people like you have nothing to complain about I say Poe said it best " Never More "  

Baltimore should Thank Charles Dickens for the name of there football team as well as Cleveland for there team simply put the team & name come from outside Baltimore . They celebrate a team & name whose origins are from elsewhere while trying to tell Indianapolis Colts fans how Colts history & a Lombardi belong to there city . :nono:

“You will be greatly shocked and grieved,” Charles Dickens wrote to a friend in 1841, “to hear that the Raven is no more!” His pet raven, Grip, had died. At the behest of his children, Dickens wrote poor Grip in his most recent book, Barnaby Rudge, maintaining in its pages Grip’s name and his loquacious powers of imitating human speech. In 1842, Edgar Allan Poe shook hands with Charles Dickens in Philadelphia, and spoke about Barnaby Rudge, which Poe had recently reviewed with the criticism that Dickens should have given the raven a prophetic presence in the story. In 1845, a prophetic raven was penned into existence, this time by the American author. The creation spawned reproach itself, as some judged Mr. Poe as lying in the shadow of Mr. Dickens, as may be derived from James R. Lowell’s journalistic jingle:

Here comes Poe with his raven, like Barnaby Rudge,
Three-fifths of him genius and two-fifths sheer fudge.

170 years later, however, nearly everyone knows Poe’s raven, and nearly no one knows Dickens’—or even Barnaby Rudge’s, for that matter. Grip the raven is forgotten; another raven holds the world in its grip: the raven named Nevermore. As Poe purposefully reincarnated Dickens’ merry raven into his macabre ravings, so too do people purposefully reincarnate the relentless madness of Poe’s raven into their own ravings—making them beautiful in their terror.

Your welcome for the history lesson interesting as it might be , Baltimore of old & new was made by others in other cities & enjoyed by many who created nothing much without the help of others so that Baltimore could call it its own , history evolves those who fail to study it do not .

16 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I'm from L.A I could care less about a Trolley Dodger but our Rams left & so did there history as did the Raiders & bye the way i'm pretty sure the Chargers started in L.A , As for the Colts the franchise minus the name started not in Baltimore & its history is Colts history regardless of the City they reside in , Baltimore gave them the name COLTS but they couldd'nt give them a new stadium , Indianapolis did starting with the HOOSIER DOME later renamed the RCA Dome & the LOS , We value our team & history we don't let them play in a broke down mess of a stadium sharing it with a baseball team or threaten eminent domain or vote not to use public funds for badly needed improvements or steal the brain trust & team formerly known as the Browns calling them the Ravens , I'v heard many fans of the early Colts whine in the past & present & I'll tell you the same,

if they mattered so much then why did'nt the mayor & fans try to keep them ? And if the fans feel they got a raw deal in Baltimore why do they celebrate stealing another cities team ?  Your here obviously Indy is a better City so look forward & enjoy if you'd like to leave I doubt we would threaten you with eminent domain or shed a tear at your departure .:applause:

You & people like you have nothing to complain about I say Poe said it best " Never More "  

You don't appear to know the history of Bob Irsay the drunk. Baltimore offered to build him a new stadium years before the move. He said on camera that he would take the deal.  The next day he claimed he never did that.

I think the NFL agreed to the move as long as Jmmy took over. Jimmy's a good owner. Bob was an embarrassment to the league.

You made my point tho. The franchise had already moved twice, and changed names both times. They weren't the Baltimore Seahawks....

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

You don't appear to know the history of Bob Irsay the drunk. Baltimore offered to build him a new stadium years before the move. He said on camera that he would take the deal.  The next day he claimed he never did that.

I think the NFL agreed to the move as long as Jmmy took over. Jimmy's a good owner. Bob was an embarrassment to the league.

You made my point tho. The franchise had already moved twice, and changed names both times. They weren't the Baltimore Seahawks....

Jimmy didn't take over till 1997. That was 13 years after the relocation. So your comment about the NFL agreeing didn't have a bearing on the move. The NFL had no control over Robert moving his team at that time. It was his private property. At first Robert was going to move to Arizona but later took Indy over them because of the RCA dome already being ready to go. Offering and doing is two different things. Memorial Stadium was a terrible place to play football from day one. It was designed for baseball. The upper deck was 60 yards from the end zone and the seating only went to the 40 yard line after an expansion in 1964.  Those 50-40 yards seats were angled away from the field. At that time Robert was only 51% owner and shaired ownership with Will Keland. So maybe some do know a little about the history of the Baltimore Colts.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, aaron11 said:

not if we save it for guys that had as much impact as peyton.  that means you have to be more than just a hall of famer. we are talking first ballot lock that brought our only super bowl win to indy so far

53 man roster, plus a retired number or two still leaves plenty of room

But aaron..... I dont know if that's true

..what you say here assumes that NFL football will end someday. maybe it will.

But if it doesn't, and NFL football lasts another 100 years......we WILL run out of numbers.

On 7/19/2016 at 6:02 PM, jimmy g said:

There are already 7 retired, and the only reason 88 wasn't retired as John Mackey's was because that would be 3 in the 80s.

There are currently seven players that have the luxury of having their numbers retired by the Colts organization. Those players are No. 19Johnny Unitas, No. 22 Buddy Young, No. 24 Lenny Moore, No. 70 Art Donovan, No. 77 Jim Parker, No. 82Raymond Berry and No. 89 Gino Marchetti.Oct 6, 2011

https://www.google.com/search

On 7/19/2016 at 6:05 PM, jimmy g said:

This is why I wanted them to leave the name Colts in Baltimore and start a new history.

(and I was born in Balt in 54, moved to Indy in 80)

On 7/25/2016 at 11:13 AM, jimmy g said:

Do it for Pagel

download.jpg

On 7/25/2016 at 8:31 PM, jimmy g said:

I'm not just that thought about the Colts. I wish every move of every team started a new history. For instance, the NY Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles. The modern Orioles were once the St Louis Brown's. I seriously doubt anyone in Los Angeles even knows what a Trolley-Dodger is, nor people in Utah understand why they are the Jazz.

On 7/26/2016 at 7:50 AM, jimmy g said:

Then the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns.  The NFL mandated the name change to approve the move.

I understand, it's Irsay' s team

He can call it what he wants (if the NFL approves).  I just think it would have been smoother for all with a clean break, New start. We'd have more numbers for Colts receivers!

Why do you post like you're angry all the time?  This is just a message board. No one should be upset here- nothing we post can change anything.  Relax, it's all good...

On 7/26/2016 at 0:28 PM, jimmy g said:

And I to the 1958 Championship. I was born in Baltimore in 54.

All I did was ask. I've followed this board for two years and your every post comes across as an edge of uneeded testiness. Oh well, just my opinion.....

On 7/26/2016 at 3:50 PM, jimmy g said:

You made my point......

On 7/26/2016 at 3:57 PM, jimmy g said:

There are posters that think someone has to be mad to play football. Not so. Ray Nitschke could tell jokes and ram your head down between your shoulders at the same time...

On 7/26/2016 at 8:42 PM, jimmy g said:

I come to read and post about my favorite team. Then I see you berating others for No reason, and I was stooooopud enough to ask why do you seem mad all the time. 

You took it from there, reinforcing my view.

Sorry. I'm old, haven't been on a 6th grade playground since 1966. I didn't realize such an innocent question was code inviting a fight to today's generation.  If there's an ignore list, put me on it.I'll go back to reading,and leave being the tough kid to you...

17 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Actually I do know a lil about bob Irsay I know he fired Coach Marchibroda during halftime & Jimmy Irsay straightened it out but until your last post he was'nt mentioned , But that really is not the point anyway Baltimore Fans & the powers that be failed there team those fans who disliked the owner were so petty they harmed the team & players they claimed to love , I put my team first realizing that is my focus the ownership is secondary . I also realize the franchise started in Dayton Ohio , Like your Ravens  OHIO , Names change cities change but the franchise remains & that is the history of the Colts whom fans in Baltimore had 2 teams named the Colts at 1 time or another but the second franchise was well traveled with many different names as the Dayton Triangles they beat the Columbus Panhandlers 14-0 oct 3 1920  & were once called the Brooklyn Dodgers the franchise was in existence long before they arrived in Baltimore & like the L.A Rams there name traveled to there new city . We in Indy did'nt steal another team & there front office so we did'nt have to come up with a new name on the contrary Baltimore in both instances were less than honorable , You can hate on a dead man till the cows come home or praise Art Model but you can't have it both ways . 

Enjoy your Ravens I realize many Baltimore fans are bitter but the blame is not on the owner of a franchise its a business & Baltimore failed miserably to keep a team & its players it was voted on by the fans & the fans & the legislators are why the team left ,  

Try looking up the history of the franchise you'll realize regardless of the name the franchise lives on .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Baltimore_Colts

49 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Actually I do know a lil about bob Irsay I know he fired Coach Marchibroda during halftime & Jimmy Irsay straightened it out but until your last post he was'nt mentioned , But that really is not the point anyway Baltimore Fans & the powers that be failed there team those fans who disliked the owner were so petty they harmed the team & players they claimed to love , I put my team first realizing that is my focus the ownership is secondary . I also realize the franchise started in Dayton Ohio , Like your Ravens  OHIO , Names change cities change but the franchise remains & that is the history of the Colts whom fans in Baltimore had 2 teams named the Colts at 1 time or another but the second franchise was well traveled with many different names as the Dayton Triangles they beat the Columbus Panhandlers 14-0 oct 3 1920  & were once called the Brooklyn Dodgers the franchise was in existence long before they arrived in Baltimore & like the L.A Rams there name traveled to there new city . We in Indy did'nt steal another team & there front office so we did'nt have to come up with a new name on the contrary Baltimore in both instances were less than honorable , You can hate on a dead man till the cows come home or praise Art Model but you can't have it both ways . 

Enjoy your Ravens I realize many Baltimore fans are bitter but the blame is not on the owner of a franchise its a business & Baltimore failed miserably to keep a team & its players it was voted on by the fans & the fans & the legislators are why the team left ,  

Try looking up the history of the franchise you'll realize regardless of the name the franchise lives on .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Baltimore_Colts

You make many assumptions with no evidence. I'm not a Ravens Fan. I'm a Colts fan. I didn't even hint that Indy 'stole' anything. I'm not the least bit bitter.  All I ever said was that A: for the sake of saving all this hate that you are posting- In My Opinion (which means nothing, since I don't own them) the Franchise would have been better served by renaming them and starting over with a New History.

Other than that, I come to point B: you can find history on the internet, and assume much, but you obviously weren't there to understand the atmosphere at the time. I wasn't in the locker room either. But I lived thru the three local papers and the three local news channels in that era. I believe I understand the Who, What, Why, Where, When, And Hows better than you or most on here. The Colts needed a new start. Indy gave them one, and Baltimore fans also needed rewarded for putting up with Irsay. The NFL rewarded them, and then made it up to Cleveland. It's all good.  We just have to disagree on the rest.  

All this, because I pointed out that #88 was John Mackey's!!!!!!  Whew!

19 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

But aaron..... I dont know if that's true

..what you say here assumes that NFL football will end someday. maybe it will.

But if it doesn't, and NFL football lasts another 100 years......we WILL run out of numbers.

looks like we have more numbers retired than i thought, though all of them are from Baltimore.  still, we have room for peytons right now.  if it does become a problem down the line they can make a policy where they wont retire anymore numbers no matter how much impact they had

On 7/31/2016 at 9:36 AM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Actually I do know a lil about bob Irsay I know he fired Coach Marchibroda during halftime & Jimmy Irsay straightened it out but until your last post he was'nt mentioned , 

I believe it wasMcCafferty, not Marchibroda. Fired for not benching Unitas in 1972. Jimmy didn't smooth things over- he was only  13 years old. Bob told Gen Mgr Joe Thomas: 'You hired those players, you coach them."

Jimmy took over as VP/Gen Mgr, running the team in 84, with the move to Indy.

11 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I believe it wasMcCafferty, not Marchibroda. Fired for not benching Unitas in 1972. Jimmy didn't smooth things over- he was only  13 years old. Bob told Gen Mgr Joe Thomas: 'You hired those players, you coach them."

Jimmy took over as VP/Gen Mgr, running the team in 84, with the move to Indy.

Actually the story was told to me by the old Crow a baltimore fan & it was about Marchibroda , he & I had many lively discussions & he shared a few old stories with me I honestly have not ever heard of Mc Cafferty , & I don't remember the whole story but next time I run into the Crow i'll ask him to refresh my memory . I do like to hear from Colts fans of any era it offers me an opportunity to learn & I appreciate it , Tonight I'm short on time but I will Google Mc Cafferty & learn what I can Thank You ..

On 7/31/2016 at 1:45 PM, aaron11 said:

looks like we have more numbers retired than i thought, though all of them are from Baltimore.  still, we have room for peytons right now.  if it does become a problem down the line they can make a policy where they wont retire anymore numbers no matter how much impact they had

I'm confident after watching 18 realizing that another player allowed him to use a retired number in Denver that if the time ever came to pass that a new Colts player was worthy he would be the man we all have come to love & respect & offer his number up , He respected Unitas an Old Colt & did his best to honer him several times & is a student of the game with class if the number 18 was again on the field on another player it would remind us all of a golden era & a great Colt field general the Sheriff our 18 was & is still special while he did not retire as a Colt he will always be our GREATEST INDIANAPOLIS COLT .

Watching Peyton, most of his movements, posture, and even his nose shape reminded me of Unitas (except Unitas back peddled after taking the snap)

The person that reminded me most of copying Namath was Marino.  I couldn't watch Peyton or Marino and not think of those two old guys.

And I spelled McCaffery wrong. No T in it.  He was Coach after Shula. Won Super Bowl V. Lost in the Championship game the next year. Was fired by Bob Irsay for not benching Unitas,  playing Marty Domres in 72

Adonis, you'll have to get Old Crow to get it right. My memory isn't what it used to be.  My first instinct was that it was Schnellenberer who was fired at halftime. He did similar to McCaffery, fired for not benching Domres and going with just drafted Bert Jones. 

Oh if there had just been a Colts Fan Forum in those days!  Irsay aquired the Colts, swapping the Rams for them. McCaffery had them as Super Bowl Champs, and in the Championship game the next year. Irsay got rid of old or high priced starters and fired Mccaffery. Sandusky was made coach and finished bad. . Drafted Bert Jones,  hired OC Howard Schnellenberer from the high powered undefeated Dolphins as head coach.  Fired Schellenberger. Joe Thomas took over and finished 2-12. Then they brought in Marchibroda.  We fans were never bored!  All this in 4 years.

2 hours ago, BertJones said:

Retiring numbers is really not needed.

Lots of things are not really needed.  For example we don't actually need football.  But we like football and we like to honor those who've excelled and have been a significant part of the teams history.

Liking things is not really necessary either I suppose :pokerface:

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

Lots of things are not really needed.  For example we don't actually need football.  But we like football and we like to honor those who've excelled and have been a significant part of the teams history.

Liking things is not really necessary either I suppose :pokerface:

if you are honoring things you really dont need.....

all you need to do is put their name in a ring of honor and be done with it.

Liking things is not really necessary either I suppose

liking and honoring something are two completely different things. Everything I like doesnt need to be honored.

I think a better term would be "acknowledge"

1 hour ago, BertJones said:

if you are honoring things you really dont need.....

all you need to do is put their name in a ring of honor and be done with it.

liking and honoring something are two completely different things. Everything I like doesnt need to be honored.

I think a better term would be "acknowledge"

So, we shouldn't honor things we don't need........or at least not by retiring a number

I didn't say we honor everything we like.  I said we like to honor people who've been important to us.  You don't.  Got it

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while but have been busy at work and in Orioles mode. 

Peyton definitely deserves a statue and fully retired number in Indy. He was to Indy, as Unitas was to Baltimore. Two fun eras of Colts football in different cities , but historic football. Marvin Harrison was a great # 88, but so was John Mackey. That number should have  been totally retired, but John was a representative for the NFLPA, so they kind of went after him. That being said, Harrison wore the number well.

There are generally weird picks some times in rings of honor or Retired numbers. Bob Irsay would never be in a ROH in Baltimore, but he is in Indy. In Baltimore, we have Art Modell and Ernest Byner in the Ravens ROH, which would be shocking to Browns fans. We also have Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts in our ROH at Ravens ,stadium which could be surprising to Indy fans.  There is good history everywhere to celebrate. 

On 8/2/2016 at 3:59 PM, jimmy g said:

Adonis, you'll have to get Old Crow to get it right. My memory isn't what it used to be.  My first instinct was that it was Schnellenberer who was fired at halftime. He did similar to McCaffery, fired for not benching Domres and going with just drafted Bert Jones. 

Oh if there had just been a Colts Fan Forum in those days!  Irsay aquired the Colts, swapping the Rams for them. McCaffery had them as Super Bowl Champs, and in the Championship game the next year. Irsay got rid of old or high priced starters and fired Mccaffery. Sandusky was made coach and finished bad. . Drafted Bert Jones,  hired OC Howard Schnellenberer from the high powered undefeated Dolphins as head coach.  Fired Schellenberger. Joe Thomas took over and finished 2-12. Then they brought in Marchibroda.  We fans were never bored!  All this in 4 years.

:spit:

Damn thats alot over such a short period . We have been very fortunate here in Indy while the early days were rough it was'nt because of the owner , Bob Irsay by all accounts I'v read was a piece of work fortunately for us while Jim Irsay had his own demons they did not harm our Colts .

Our perspective on the Colts may differ a little but in my humble opinion we both love the Blue & the franchise despite the volatile nature of the Irsay ownership the relationship between the home city & team are strong & the TEAM  evolved into something we can both be proud of I do understand hurt feelings to lose your team would suck but we as fans really have little control other than to support our team & understand its a business to keep businesses in your state or country you must do what you can . 

I realize if we fans stopped supporting our Colts & the city had not built LOS we too may have lost our Colts it is the nature of the beast we call the NFL with so few teams they will always easily find a new home . I'm glad your here with us & i hope you enjoy the indianapolis Colts as much as I do I'v grown to love football since they arrived now I'm a diehard are as many here in the Hoosier State , Growing up in Cali I had many diversions the beach mountains & desert were what I enjoyed the most now its football & basketball & a much slower pace in life .

GO COLTS :hat:

The most overlooked reason they moved and why the NFL allowed it wasn't attendance or the stadium. It was TV. The NFL had 1pm games and 4pm games. Because of (since changed) laws, Baltimore games were at 2pm, because most of the parking was on church parking lots.  I'm sure the NFL was glad to put that behind them....

53 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

The most overlooked reason they moved and why the NFL allowed it wasn't attendance or the stadium. It was TV. The NFL had 1pm games and 4pm games. Because of (since changed) laws, Baltimore games were at 2pm, because most of the parking was on church parking lots.  I'm sure the NFL was glad to put that behind them....

What? Sorry I cant buy that. If you want to make a list of reasons the Colts left Baltimore I guess you could throw that in for the last one. I think you are thinking about something that happened so long ago a little too much. The NFL are the owners voting on letting a team move and I just cant see the other owners using that as a reason to let a team move.

As I look into Baltimore &  sports its clear that there teams came from elsewhere the Orioles the Colts & the Ravens the city & its citizens have a history that points out not all were always happy & that the courts were involved multiple times for various reasons I'm not clear on the parking issue but from what I read those who lived close to the stadium were not always happy .

" Living next door to The Worlds Largest Out Door Insane Asylum "  

Here is a link to a part of Baltimore history that I just read .

http://www.mdhs.org/underbelly/2015/01/22/the-worlds-largest-outdoor-insane-asylum-memorial-stadium-part-ii/

• 1 month later...
On August 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

A full house for the Colts vs. Washington Redskins game on October 23, 1955. "Colts vs. Redskins, Baltimore Memorial Stadium," October 23, 1955, Robert F. Kniesche, PP79.1331-2, Robert F. Kniesche Photograph Collection, MdHS. Picture from 1955 Colts vs Redskins were playing that day .

Had many good times there. The letters on the front of the stadium in the picture, are on a big stone monument at Camden Yards . I like how you can see the outline of the baseball diamond over the football field. Pretty cool picture !