Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Luck Era

This video pumps me up and excites me more and more for the upcoming Luck era. Dont get me wrong, I loved what Peyton did for us here, but its time to rebuild and start fresh, with a young extremely talented QB who can not only pass very well but can also run much better than Manning ever could.

Plus Im excited to see what we may do with the money we save from not having Manning on the roster anymore.

Except we still take a ridiculous cap hit if we were to dump Manning, so we aren't saving anything.

Too bad for your hopes and dreams Mr. Luck will have to wait for 4 years before he plays a relevant snap in the NFL for the Colts.

Woah woah woah...those preseason games are very important. We have a reputation to uphold as one of the worst preseason teams in the league.

Or another of those undefeated season things could happen...(please no one discuss it and complain about how we shouldn't have rested. Just let it go, I just made a joke)

How much real money hit and cap money hit will the Colts take under these 3 scenarios?

1) Don't pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and release him.

2) Pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and play him in the 2012 season until he is injured and then retires during the season?

3) Pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and play him in the 2012 season and the 2013 season, after which he retires?

Let's do some comparisons.

How much real money hit and cap money hit will the Colts take under these 3 scenarios?

1) Don't pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and release him.

2) Pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and play him in the 2012 season until he is injured and then retires during the season?

3) Pay Peyton his bonus on March 8, and play him in the 2012 season and the 2013 season, after which he retires?

Let's do some comparisons.

OR how about we pay him the bonus March 8 and then he plays out the 4yrs left on his contract, while very likely bringing another Super Bowl Championship to the Indianapolis Colts (hey, the AFC seems like its in a down turn to me...and regardless of what everyone thinks, if everyone is healthy, castonzo/ijalana/nevis/in coming rookies/Peyton, we WILL be more talented than we have been in a while)...and THEN we can all be excited as he retires on his own terms, and the Luck era begins.

I don't give two craps about Luck's ability to run. He's a quarterback. His job is to throw. Yeah it's nice to be able to scramble out of a pass rush and gain 4 yards rather than throw it away, but unless you've got Michael Vick athleticism, you aren't going to make a living as a running quarterback. That said I think he'll be pretty good in the NFL.....not PM good, but pretty solid. It'll be nice to have him waiting in the wings to take over in 4 years after 4 straight SB Championships.

I would rather trade the pick. But I must say nice video the kid can play some ball I doubt his running ability translate to the NFL, but the way they hit now a days it's best for him to stay in the pocket anyway. And it's always good to have it has a last min back up plan. I forgot it was him that put that hit on that DB(?) who picked up that fumble...man he crushed him.

Looks mobile enough to me, he seems just as mobile as Alex Smith who use his mobility frequently on a per game basis. I would expect Luck to do the same. He wouldn't be a Michael Vick obviously which is a good thing anyways, you want a mobile QB with all around smarts, and a good arm. Luck has all those attributes (in college atleast). Now the question is how do we get him on this team with the possibility of waiting, IF Manning comes back obviously????

That video makes my day. I've seen some good ones of our new QB but that's just awesome. Having watched almost every game Andy has played for the past two years, I've seen a lot of those games, just forgot the ability to make plays so often. He's so smart. Good future for our Colts.

Except we still take a ridiculous cap hit if we were to dump Manning, so we aren't saving anything.

Too bad for your hopes and dreams Mr. Luck will have to wait for 4 years before he plays a relevant snap in the NFL for the Colts.

Keep saying this, Doogan..

Everybody simplistically keeps talking about the $28 million saved by dumping Peyton..

but the 'cap hit' isnt half of that.......It wont help us much

In 'salary cap world' ' Dwight Freeney is costing us more..

I don't see any sense in this scenario. It is a waste of money, talent and time.

Well I don't care what you think because it's not

I would understand trading it if Peyton wasn't 36 coming off 3 neck surgeries and before you say Peyton will be back well what If he isn't or what if he doesn't play at the same level then what or even he gets injured again I would like to have a back up

So let's say Peyton does come back and plays 3 yrs well I don't know about you but I don't want another 2-14 season

So before you hate on my post think about it

Well I don't care what you think because it's not

I would understand trading it if Peyton wasn't 36 coming off 3 neck surgeries and before you say Peyton will be back well what If he isn't or what if he doesn't play at the same level then what or even he gets injured again I would like to have a back up

So let's say Peyton does come back and plays 3 yrs well I don't know about you but I don't want another 2-14 season

So before you hate on my post think about it

Sorry if you think I was hating on your post. I wasn't.

I am just making the point that it makes no sense in keeping Peyton and drafting Luck with the #1. You should do one or the other, but not both.

Here are the reasons:

1) You tie up a lot of real money and cap money into the QB position

2) Every year that Peyton plays delays Luck's development

3) You expect the #1 overall pick to start (just as Peyton did)

4) If you are rebuilding, you would do better rebuilding with a younger QB

5) Wanting to have another 2-14 season is irrelevant. Either bite the bullet with the highest rated prospect in a generation and rebuild now, or rebuild when Peyton retires and accept the risk that another highly rated prospect may not be there and/or the Colts may not be in a position to draft him (as they are now).

Please let me know if I got anything wrong.

I am just making the point that it makes no sense in keeping Peyton and drafting Luck with the #1. You should do one or the other, but not both.

Here are the reasons:

5) Wanting to have another 2-14 season is irrelevant. Either bite the bullet with the highest rated prospect in a generation and rebuild now, or rebuild when Peyton retires and accept the risk that another highly rated prospect may not be there and/or the Colts may not be in a position to draft him (as they are now).

1 it's not that bad money because the rookie salary cap for luck is about 22mil over 5yrs we paid more for Kerry Collins

2 I don't think so because it didn't hurt Aaron Rodgers

3 he can start preseason

4look up the Aaron Rodgers example they rebuilt with an old and young one

5 why we can keep both when Peyton retires we can resign luck

6 but none of this happens if either Peyton doesn't come back or luck doesn't get picked

1 it's not that bad money because the rookie salary cap for luck is about 22mil over 5yrs we paid more for Kerry Collins

2 I don't think so because it didn't hurt Aaron Rodgers

3 he can start preseason

4look up the Aaron Rodgers example they rebuilt with an old and young one

5 why we can keep both when Peyton retires we can resign luck

6 but none of this happens if either Peyton doesn't come back or luck doesn't get picked

1) For the upcoming season, $28MM bonus and $7.5MM salary for Peyton, plus estimated $5MM for Luck = at least $40MM for 2012. Add to that the commitment to pay Peyton for 3 additional years with escalating salary.

2) Aaron Rodgers was not a #1 overall pick (he was #24), and benefited from the bench time to work on his mechanics. Luck's mechanics do not need that much work.

3) My point was that in today's NFL, the #1 overall pick is expected to start throughout the regular season.

4) Yes, the Packers were fortunate in their timing such that their current FHOF QB did not have multiple surgeries in his neck, and did not miss out a season, and that Rodgers needed time to improve. I don't think the Colts are in a similar position.

5) Keeping both Peyton and Luck is not a good idea given:

a) the financial impact, which stymies the ability to sign quality FAs

b) the cap impact, which stymies the ability to sign quality FAs

c) the delayed development of a top-rated QB

6) Yes, the absolute worse scenario is that you choose to forego Luck (by either trading it away, or picking someone else), and then Peyton does not play (either due to retirement, or injury). If this happens, you are back to the Orlovsky/Painter/Collins plan.

Here are the reasons:

Manning playing does not necessarily derail Luck's development...Its how he handles it.

Money isnt an issue....The new labor agreement limits how much Luck can be paid...and Irsay already expects to give Manning what he signed him for.

There's nothing special about being the No.1 overall pick compared to a No.1 pick.

All rookie QBs need to watch for a year or two//Some play and adapt....

But we hope to go to the playoffs next season..and Mr. Luck...can learn from a 'redshirt' year

Keeping Manning and Luck protect the frachise angaianst another Manning injury and almlost insures we'll have a playoff caliber team when Peyton retires in 4 years.

Its what Mr Irsay wants...

Manning playing does not necessarily derail Luck's development...Its how he handles it.

Money isnt an issue....The new labor agreement limits how much Luck can be paid...and Irsay already expects to give Manning what he signed him for.

There's nothing special about being the No.1 overall pick compared to a No.1 pick.

But we hope to go to the playoffs next season..and Mr. Luck...can learn from a 'redshirt' year

Keeping Manning and Luck protect the frachise angaianst another Manning injury and almlost insures we'll have a playoff caliber team when Peyton retires in 4 years.

Thank you

Someone understands

Peyton playing means that Luck does not have the on-field play experience at the regular season NFL level required to mature a rookie faster.

Money is an issue when you consider that there is a salary cap. Every million that goes to Peyton takes a million away from being able to be used to sign a FA.

The #1 overall pick has always started in their 1st season. This includes Peyton himself. I doubt the expectation changes.

There is value in watching for a year. However, I think there is more value in actually experiencing versus vicarious learning. The play and adapt is a steeper learning curve.

When Irsay says that the team is rebuilding, I don't think the expectation is to go to the playoffs immediately.

I think there are additional needs that need to be addressed besides the QB position, before we can be confident that the playoffs are in the near future.

Jay305, even after watching that highlight reel of Griffin, I still without a doubt would take Luck over him. Griffin mostly throws from the shotgun, mostly throws it deep, and looks to be very small even though he is listed at 6-2 220. He has much more of an injury factor in the NFL than Luck does, and Luck makes much more varieties of throws.

The "Luck" era will not have close to the success the Manning era had

With all due respect to the Manning era it only produced one Super Bowl title to this point. Not exactly an insurmountable task. I could care less about MVP's and statistics...I judge eras by championships. Time will tell.

With all due respect to the Manning era it only produced one Super Bowl title to this point. Not exactly an insurmountable task. I could care less about MVP's and statistics...I judge eras by championships. Time will tell.

I'd recommend a new formula to judge by then...not the best IMO to judge solely based on champinships

Someone explain to me how Manning will lead us to a Super Bowl at the age of 35 with 3 neck operations in a year and without having stepped on the field for a year or so? He led us to two in his prime, yet as we're now a rubbish team he's going to magically lead us to the Super Bowl again?

Sorry, but I just don't see it.

I doubt Luck produces that

I doubt Luck produces that

Superbowls are won by teams. Manning may have won more superbowls if he had a more complete team. As for Luck, it all depends on what type of team he plays on. If he's on the Browns, you're right, he will not win.

Superbowls are won by teams. Manning may have won more superbowls if he had a more complete team. As for Luck, it all depends on what type of team he plays on. If he's on the Browns, you're right, he will not win.

without Peyton Manning were as bad if not worse than the Browns

This year we were, no doubt. We have a lot more potential. And as a Luck supporter, I would argue that with Luck we would be a lot better at the QB position than this years crop of QB's (Painter, Collins, Orlovsky), which will translate to an overall better play by the team.

As has been said if the Colts build a better overall team around Luck then it is possible that the Luck era could exceed the Manning era's total of 1 championship. Lesser quarterbacks (i.e. Bradshaw, Rothlisberger,) than Manning have led their teams to multiple championships because they have solid overall teams. If the rebuilding process results in a stout defense and solid running game then Luck doesn't have to be "as good as Peyton" just good enough to get the job done with the team around him.

Umm no we're not. We would have the best young QB to come along in decades. So you cannot even compare him to Colt McCoy. 2nd, Pagano and Grigson will have cap space to use to bring in an impact FA or 2, and he will build this defense back up again.

The Luck Era will be even better than the Manning Era, just wait and see. Manning stuck his neck out for us to get a stadium, but even giraffes have to be sacrificed to make way for the lion.

Lol nice way of putting it. But I do also actually think Luck has a chance to be better than Manning. Maybe not numbers wise, but more successful in the playoffs by bringing us more championships.