Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It was nice knowing you Turbin

CR91

It's time for the NFL to consider changing their policy on marijuana.

1) It's legal for adults to use recreationally in 4 states and that number is growing quickly.  Marijuana is legal in some form in fully half the states.

2) It's not a performance enhancing drug.  If my competition for a position on the roster is a stoner, I'm happy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Won't he be suspended and he'll likely fail a drug test if one is taken. My question is why did they search his car? What ELSE was going on?

When a police officer pulls you over, smells pot in a car, & calls in a K-9 unit the owner of the vehicle can't really say no to the search JPF. It's pretty easy to get a search warrant &, in most cases, if a drug smelling dog detects pot under exigent circumstances that situation gives a cop the right to inspect the property for more contraband items usually. 

Yes, I assume Turbin would get a 4 game suspension without pay & automatically get enrolled in the league's substance abuse program I would imagine. 

14 hours ago, krunk said:

If there's any chance of him getting  a 4 game suspension he'll be cut I feel.

I don't know about that Krunk. Turbin's got skills &, if an athlete has a good skill set, INDY will find a way to keep him around. 

I wouldn't release him especially if he knows he made a huge mistake & promises never to embarrass the Colts with negative publicity like this incident again. Jimmy can appreciate struggles with addiction himself so I hope he takes that into account in this case for Turbin's sake. I think Mr. Irsay will. 

38 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't know about that Krunk. Turbin's got skills &, if an athlete has a good skill set, INDY will find a way to keep him around. 

I wouldn't release him especially if he knows he made a huge mistake & promises never to embarrass the Colts with negative publicity like this incident again. Jimmy can appreciate struggles with addiction himself so I hope he takes that into account in this case for Turbin's sake. I think Mr. Irsay will. 

I don't want him released SW1.  However we are talking about a Free Agent running back who hasn't even played a down for the Colts starting the year off with a 4 game suspension. I'm just speaking on the potential scenario because I don't even know or think things are at that point yet.  If it turns out he really is facing a 4 game suspension I fell there is a pretty fair chance they'll let him go.  Not that I want the kid gone, but 4 games is significant for a backup free agent  RB who has only got a 1 year deal.  Not sure if they will exercise a whole lot of patience waiting on him to come back from that suspension.  It wouldn't surprise me if they let him go. What he did was stupid, but not egregiously stupid so on the flip side I could see Irsay, Grigs and Pagano letting it pass.   We'll see in the next couple of days what happens. 

42 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't want him released SW1.  However we are talking about a Free Agent running back who hasn't even played a down for the Colts starting the year off with a 4 game suspension. I'm just speaking on the potential scenario because I don't even know or think things are at that point yet.  If it turns out he really is facing a 4 game suspension I fell there is a pretty fair chance they'll let him go.  Not that I want the kid gone, but 4 games is significant for a backup free agent  RB who has only got a 1 year deal.  Not sure if they will exercise a whole lot of patience waiting on him to come back from that suspension.  It wouldn't surprise me if they let him go. What he did was stupid, but not egregiously stupid so on the flip side I could see Irsay, Grigs and Pagano letting it pass.   We'll see in the next couple of days what happens. 

I read ya Krunk. You make a compelling argument, even I can't deny that. I wasn't challenging you BTW. I have a ton of respect for your football knowledge & expertise. 

Uh huh. I hope Turbin is still around thru training camp at least. We're on the same page here.Time will tell like you say. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I read ya Krunk. You make a compelling argument, even I can't deny that. I wasn't challenging you BTW. I have a ton of respect for your football knowledge & expertise. 

Uh huh. I hope Turbin is still around thru training camp at least. We're on the same page here.Time will tell like you say. 

No problem SW1!  I say my fair share of stuff that people have right to challenge just like anyone else big homie. No offense taken. 

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

No problem SW1!  I say my fair share of stuff that people have right to challenge just like anyone else big homie. No offense taken. 

Thanks. It just bothers me when a player gets busted for 1 joint & the media loves to over react & act like an athlete is either a kingpin or a dude who needs detox like yesterday. It's crazy. LOL! 

Yeah, I know I used the word addict in reference to our owner & Turbin. All I meant was show both guys some sympathy here since neither person did anything all that devastating in my estimation. We all make mistakes & looking at the big picture, this incident is a tiny blip on the radar screen. Talent usually trumps minor legal matters in sports. 

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I stand with Turbin.

I stand with freedom. 

I stand with free men, intent on driving a stake through the heart of this vampire - prohibition.

I did laugh at this since I assume you were being sarcastic for comedic purposes Douzer. 

Prohibition isn't the same thing as a drug collar, but what the hades, I can still roll with it. 

Disclaimer: Yes, I know illegal narcotics possession & consumption is considered wrong in the eyes of the law & I'm not trying to make a mockery of it on a family friendly site. My bad. 

Is that from a movie or did you just make that up? Just curious. Sounds like a William Wallace [Mel Gibson] speech from "Braveheart." 

It's time the NFL gets serious about it's pain managment problem.  I'd rather these dudes smoking weed than being addicted to pain killers and having kidney failure before 40.  Let them smoke weed.  It does not enhance performance and if performance becomes diminished they will lose playing time and eventually be cut.

15 minutes ago, tikyle said:

It's time the NFL gets serious about it's pain managment problem.  I'd rather these dudes smoking weed than being addicted to pain killers and having kidney failure before 40.  Let them smoke weed.  It does not enhance performance and if performance becomes diminished they will lose playing time and eventually be cut.

The way the testing is now, it is legal in the NFL during the season. Smoke after every game and never get punished. Reduce that pain. Just don't get caught by outside the NFL enforcement officials, then the NFL is required to enforce its policy and place them in the drug intervention program.

OTOH, these players are not hitting/getting hit in the off season. Plenty of OTC non-narcotic analgesics to cover occasion flare ups. NFL does test for weed in the off season, and if caught players are also placed in the drug intervention program {phase 1}.

what no one talks about, is who the front office and coaching staff feels about players using substances of abuse. To a man, it raises red flags to a players commitment to team and the game; likely proportional to the amount and frequency of suspected use.  I think 'll research ex GM's /coaches feeling on the subject now that they are part of the media and no longer connected to team(s) in the NFL if their opinions are out there.

(Bill Polian, Mike Nolan, Phil Savage, etc...)

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

what no one talks about, is who the front office and coaching staff feels about players using substances of abuse. To a man, it raises red flags to a players commitment to team and the game; likely proportional to the amount and frequency of suspected use.  I think 'll research ex GM's /coaches feeling on the subject now that they are part of the media and no longer connected to team(s) in the NFL if their opinions are out there.

(Bill Polian, Mike Nolan, Phil Savage, etc...)

Why is this never an issue for alcohol until a DUI or arrest comes up?  The stigma on marijuana needs to disappear.  Alcohol abuse is linked to way more NFL disciplinary problems than marijuana.  But oh well.

And as far as the off season stuff, I'm in no position to tell someone how to manage pain.  I slipped bowling almost a decade ago and still have intense back/nerve pain periodically from it.  These guys collide with each other for six months a year and to think that their pain magically disappears during their six month break is not reasonable to me.

55 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Why is this never an issue for alcohol until a DUI or arrest comes up?  The stigma on marijuana needs to disappear.  Alcohol abuse is linked to way more NFL disciplinary problems than marijuana.  But oh well.

Would it be because alcohol and its consumption is legal, until an activity is executed where being under the influence of alcohol makes it an illegal activity?  The NFL has many penalties associated with alcohol in its substance abuse policy as well.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Player Development/2015 Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse.pdf

55 minutes ago, tikyle said:

And as far as the off season stuff, I'm in no position to tell someone how to manage pain.  I slipped bowling almost a decade ago and still have intense back/nerve pain periodically from it.  These guys collide with each other for six months a year and to think that their pain magically disappears during their six month break is not reasonable to me.

Get all the states to allow medical marijuana (some 25 more?), then get a team or personal physician to write an Rx, notably during the off season. Problem solved. To do it on your own is participating in a currently illegal activity, rebel style.

The NFL has already made it essentially legal during the season, and it takes many failed tests to get fines/suspensions.  And I hears that players knwo when in the off season a test is soon upcoming and easy to prepare for.  The NFL and the NBA should not have to drive the reform agenda, the remainder states need to get on board with the first 25 + DC and allow the NBA and NFL to remake those areas of the substance abuse policy at that point.

Funny how the crux of the issues wander depending upon if someone is defending a position.

Pain management substances are prescribed by doctors.  It is dangerous for any individual to use substances to manage pain, so an employer like the NFL should never allow any employee to head down to the local corner to get their painkillers.  Individuals do not have the opportunity, nor should they, to buy a pain management substances just because they want to.

True, some use, or more accurately "claim" to use, alcohol for pain management, but we all really know they're just drunks trying to give themselves an excuse for drinking.  And if someone goes to the doctor complaining of pain, the doctor doesn't recommend buying a six pack whenever there is a flare up.

We're talking about RECREATIONAL use of substances that alter the mind.  No employer should ever allow their use, pain pills, weed, or alcohol, for recreational use.  But they have to for alcohol because it is legal to buy it without a prescription.

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

When a police officer pulls you over, smells pot in a car, & calls in a K-9 unit the owner of the vehicle can't really say no to the search JPF. It's pretty easy to get a search warrant &, in most cases, if a drug smelling dog detects pot under exigent circumstances that situation gives a cop the right to inspect the property for more contraband items usually. 

Yes, I assume Turbin would get a 4 game suspension without pay & automatically get enrolled in the league's substance abuse program I would imagine. 

He most certainly can say no.

People:  you do not have to let the police search your car if you don't want.  You will be arrested and your vehicle impounded but you do not have to submit to a search.

I won't get into the whole debate about marijuana being legal(at the risk of offended some people on this forum, I think anyone who smokes pot is stupid to begin with) that fact is that it is illegal now and it is illegal to drive while under the influence.

On 7/13/2016 at 4:21 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I understand what you are saying but reality is that weed is smoked at a very high rate in all walks of life. Rich, poor, color no difference. Police, doctors and even the almighty lawyers and judges who made their living off prosecuting, fining and locking up people for possession. Lets not overlook supporting the judicial system. At least a NFL player just plays a game of football. Those other people I mentioned are not playing games for our amusement. It shouldn't be any different for NFL players? You may ask why? Because NFL players are human and have the same faults as any other human. Drug use goes on in every facet of lives. Not preaching, just telling my opinion.

I respect your opinion and I'm not denying it goes on everywhere in life.  What I am NOT saying is this is right/wrong.  What I am saying is this does not reflect good decision making.  Look, the NFL is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill job.  There are MILLIONS of reasons to walk the straight and narrow here.  It's not like he's a plumber, or a police officer, or even a lawyer or doctor.  He's one of the elite athletes in the world!  Again, when you play in the NFL it is WIDELY known that you can be tested due to the nature of the job.  And if you are caught you face suspension.  And when you are a "fringe player" you even face getting cut.  This costs you and your family a LOT of bread on the table (and more money for weed down the road).  It also does not bode well in the eyes of the coaches who preach a "team first" atmosphere and are praying this time of the year is quiet.  And when it comes down to it, when you are fighting another guy to make the team, and you are even in the eyes of the coaches, but YOU made the one mistake, who do you think they are going to keep?  Who would YOU keep?

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I respect your opinion and I'm not denying it goes on everywhere in life.  What I am NOT saying is this is right/wrong.  What I am saying is this does not reflect good decision making.  Again, when you play in the NFL it is WIDELY known that you can be tested due to the nature of the job.  And if you are caught you face suspension.  And when you are a "fringe player" you even face getting cut.  This costs you and your family bread on the table (and more money for weed down the road).  It also does not bode well in the eyes of the coaches who preach a "team first" atmosphere and are praying this time of the year is quiet.  And when it comes down to it, when you are fighting another guy to make the team, and you are even in the eyes of the coaches, but YOU made the one mistake, who do you think they are going to keep?  Who would YOU keep?

There are players in the league right now who have been suspended for smoking weed and went back to work because of their talent regardless of the risk. I have a strong feeling there are positive test for weed more than you might think? I don't think the NFL is that far away from using weed as an alternative to pills as more states legalize the medical use of weed. My own doctor has told me he would rather write me a scrip for cannabis than a scrip for oxycodone for pain. The attitude about cannabis being used is slowly dissipating. The lack of depth at RB on the Colts roster might figure in if they keep him or not? I think if this incident was going to be a problem the Colts would have already cut him. (he might be gone tomorrow as far as I know) haha

21 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Get all the states to allow medical marijuana (some 25 more?), then get a team or personal physician to write an Rx, notably during the off season. Problem solved. To do it on your own is participating in a currently illegal activity, rebel style.

The NFL has already made it essentially legal during the season, and it takes many failed tests to get fines/suspensions.  And I hears that players knwo when in the off season a test is soon upcoming and easy to prepare for.  The NFL and the NBA should not have to drive the reform agenda, the remainder states need to get on board with the first 25 + DC and allow the NBA and NFL to remake those areas of the substance abuse policy at that point.

Question.  For discussion sake let's make this simple.  Take Von Miller.  He gets tested, while in Colorado (where recreational and medical marijuana is legal), and fails the test (where it is legal to smoke w/ or w/o a prescription).  Will he get flagged (or better yet suspended since he's already failed a test and is in the program)?

20 hours ago, DougDew said:

Pain management substances are prescribed by doctors.  It is dangerous for any individual to use substances to manage pain, so an employer like the NFL should never allow any employee to head down to the local corner to get their painkillers.  Individuals do not have the opportunity, nor should they, to buy a pain management substances just because they want to.

We're talking about RECREATIONAL use of substances that alter the mind.  No employer should ever allow their use, pain pills, weed, or alcohol, for recreational use.  But they have to for alcohol because it is legal to buy it without a prescription.

Doug, let's not act like these guys can't get "pain meds" at the drop of a dime.  Tell the team physician you hurt and you get meds.  It's as simple as that.  Who can tell these guys they DON'T feel pain?  I don't care if weed is made legal or not federally.  It is legal in some states and people (and families) go to those states to use it as a tool for pain management.  We can't dismiss this because we view weed in the lens of a recreational drug.  No one assumes those parents of a child that suffers seizures that the marijuana they give to their child to ease that disease is recreational.

We need to stop assuming that all or most of these guys marijuana use is recreational as well.  They are in the pain business.  And watching documentaries of all these retired guys and seeing how most get around and how most are doing as early as age 40 should be proof enough.

18 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He most certainly can say no.

People:  you do not have to let the police search your car if you don't want.  You will be arrested and your vehicle impounded but you do not have to submit to a search.

I won't get into the whole debate about marijuana being legal(at the risk of offended some people on this forum, I think anyone who smokes pot is stupid to begin with) that fact is that it is illegal now and it is illegal to drive while under the influence.

Just curious...does that apply to those who drink as well?

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Being stupid?  No, a person can drink and not get drunk.  But I do think drunkenness is is stupid.

so it's more about becoming fully intoxicated?  BTW, there are varying degrees of being high, just like there are varying degrees of being drunk/buzzed.  

Back on topic was Turbin not cut right away because he is not a player on the bubble or because the timing with coaches and staff trying to spend family time before the grind or even another reason . I guess only time will tell but seems as worthy as anything else to debate in the offseason .

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

Question.  For discussion sake let's make this simple.  Take Von Miller.  He gets tested, while in Colorado (where recreational and medical marijuana is legal), and fails the test (where it is legal to smoke w/ or w/o a prescription).  Will he get flagged (or better yet suspended since he's already failed a test and is in the program)?

Fair question.  Here's a few in return-

What if Von Miller smokes (legally) in Colorado, then the team heads to San Diego (hypothetical) for a pre-season game.  He gets tested in San Diego and shows above the positive level for THC.  Will he get flagged?

What if Josh Gordon smoked up at home in Ohio  then he traveled to Denver for a pre-season game and he gets tested. Does he get flagged?

When an employer has employees across the nation, it is harder to enforce a policy unless it is consistent across the board for all employees and locales.  Employers have the ability to set policy on what is and what isn't acceptable behavior.  Following that policy is written into every players contract.  Here is how Bill Belichick handled the question to his team when the Pats were going to Colorado for the AFC playoff game-

"While it seems like it shouldn’t be an issue, running back LeGarrette Blount confirmed that Belichick did talk to the Patriots about weed being legal in Colorado, as the team is preparing to travel to Denver to take on the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday. While it’s legal to partake in Colorado, it’s still against NFL rules. “It’s a business trip,” the appropriately named Blount said. “Nobody is going to care about that. Bill told us about it. He basically told us, ‘Don’t go out there and be stupid.’ [That’s] really good advice.” A reporter badgered Belichick during the coach’s press conference Friday about the legal drug in Colorado. Belichick, who was already in a surly mood, put an end to the questioning quickly. “I think we know what the NFL policy is on that,” Belichick said."

It's clear until all states are unified in the legalization (in any form) that it will still be on the NFL banned substance list.

33 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

so it's more about becoming fully intoxicated?  BTW, there are varying degrees of being high, just like there are varying degrees of being drunk/buzzed.  

Not really... nut that is a large part of it... it's complicated.

To throw another loop in there, I am not against the legalization of marijuana... as stated I think smoking pot is extremely stupid, but I don't think it's the govt. job to try to regulate out stupidity.

I will not be surprised if Turbin is realeased... not because he got caught with one joint but because the chances are extremely slim that he got busted the first time he ever tried to smoke pot. 

22 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If the officer asks, "may I search your car?", you have every right to refuse - and I encourage you to do so every time. He is not likely to detain you further for refusing (he wouldn't have asked if he had the Probably Cause needed to search your auto or make an arrest).

However, when the puppy dog hits on your stash, your car is getting searched. The officer cannot make you wait an unreasonable amount of time for the dog to be dispatched, but if the dog is on-scene and detects drugs, you no longer have a choice in the outcome for yourself. The police officer no longer needs your consent.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's clear until all states are unified in the legalization (in any form) that it will still be on the NFL banned substance list.

I'm not so sure about this.  The NFL can easily take this off of their banned substance list.  In doing so I don't think there would be much backlash for it if they added the stipulation of it being medically administered in a legal state.  We will see.  Just as there are substances on the banned list that are NOT illegal, I can see illegal substances (in certain states) taken off the banned list.

26 minutes ago, lester said:

If the officer asks, "may I search your car?", you have every right to refuse - and I encourage you to do so every time. He is not likely to detain you further for refusing (he wouldn't have asked if he had the Probably Cause needed to search your auto or make an arrest).

However, when the puppy dog hits on your stash, your car is getting searched. The officer cannot make you wait an unreasonable amount of time for the dog to be dispatched, but if the dog is on-scene and detects drugs, you no longer have a choice in the outcome for yourself. The police officer no longer needs your consent.

I stand corrected.  From what I read, if it takes longer than a normal traffic stop then that is considered an illegal detainment but that a positive signal from a dog does constitute probable (or probably if you prefer :) ) cause.

4 hours ago, tikyle said:

Take Von Miller.  He gets tested, while in Colorado (where recreational and medical marijuana is legal), and fails the test (where it is legal to smoke w/ or w/o a prescription).  Will he get flagged (or better yet suspended since he's already failed a test and is in the program)?

I'm not certain Von Miller is still in the program. 

What some of you posting are forgetting, is..... these guys are basically employees of the NFL. They are under contract. Their employer  has a policy regarding the use of pot. 

MY employer has a policy about the use of pot. Doesn't Matter if I'm in Colorado, Green Bay or my home town. If I * dirty for my employer, I'm violating my employment contract. I'm subject to termination. 

If you believe pot should be legal or not doesn't change that reality.

33 minutes ago, CrazyHorse said:

What some of you posting are forgetting, is..... these guys are basically employees of the NFL. They are under contract. Their employer  has a policy regarding the use of pot. 

MY employer has a policy about the use of pot. Doesn't Matter if I'm in Colorado, Green Bay or my home town. If I * dirty for my employer, I'm violating my employment contract. I'm subject to termination. 

All true & valid points CH. I can't disagree with a word you said that I bolded. Players agreed to comply with certain drug standards or prohibitions as spelled in the CBA. 

In reality though, I wish law enforcement protocols would be loosened on pot prosecution cases & no, I'm not a frequent user BTW or at all for that matter. I just think that some products need to be anti-demonized that's all. Mostly due to an overwhelming need to reduce prison overcrowding for non-violent criminals etc. & treat them like valuable human beings vs lost cases in general in the eyes of the law. But, I do concur that NFL players in order to get paid & be part of the league need to follow CBA guidelines or face the consequences. 

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are players in the league right now who have been suspended for smoking weed and went back to work because of their talent regardless of the risk. I have a strong feeling there are positive test for weed more than you might think? I don't think the NFL is that far away from using weed as an alternative to pills as more states legalize the medical use of weed. My own doctor has told me he would rather write me a scrip for cannabis than a scrip for oxycodone for pain. The attitude about cannabis being used is slowly dissipating. The lack of depth at RB on the Colts roster might figure in if they keep him or not? I think if this incident was going to be a problem the Colts would have already cut him. (he might be gone tomorrow as far as I know) haha

I would agree it probably SHOULD be legalized in some form.  I am in the medical field and there are FAR worse meds that one can take that are worse for the body for pain.  But until it is.........

3 hours ago, CrazyHorse said:

the nfl shouldn't care so much about weed.  it only takes one policy change to go from banned substance to a non issue

i dont want my civil engineers and doctors to be smokers, but it doesn't matter if pro athletes do it.  this isnt rocket science

let them smoke, its a legitimate pain killer that's no worse than alcohol and other prescription drugs

10 hours ago, CrazyHorse said:

I don't think nobody is forgetting anything. We know the NFL does not make public record of positive weed test till the third offense. So there is a lot of players who smoke pot but just know how to use the system to get away with it. The NFL is not turning a total blind eye to smoking weed, it is just not a high priority. With the three strikes and your out rules I would venture to say a huge percentage of players have had positive test, just not three. The NFL in it's past hasn't been exactly clean as far as the illegal passing out of prescription pain pills under the controlled substance laws. So saying pot smokers are breaking the rules is small in comparison to the NFL breaking federal laws on controlled substances. Take a look at the NBA and their policies regarding smoking weed.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think nobody is forgetting anything. We know the NFL does not make public record of positive weed test till the third offense. So there is a lot of players who smoke pot but just know how to use the system to get away with it. The NFL is not turning a total blind eye to smoking weed, it is just not a high priority. With the three strikes and your out rules I would venture to say a huge percentage of players have had positive test, just not three. The NFL in it's past hasn't been exactly clean as far as the illegal passing out of prescription pain pills under the controlled substance laws. So saying pot smokers are breaking the rules is small in comparison to the NFL breaking federal laws on controlled substances. Take a look at the NBA and their policies regarding smoking weed.

Exactly.  I cannot say this enough- but I'm going to be more frank about it this time. The NFL does not even test for substances of abuse; During_The_Season!  They only test for 'recreational drugs'  in the off season.  So once game 1 is underway, the players pretty much have Carte Blanche to smoke away as the NFL drug tests are only_for_PED's until the season ends.

In the off season, there are some indications (according to many vets and former front office personnel interviewed) when you will get a test, and thus have time to be/stay clean to pass it.  So the theory is many do indeed know how to "use the system" as you put it.  And the typical feeling by players and teams are that players and  potential draftees that cannot ;figure this out and get "caught" are either -

1. addicted in some fashion,

2. are not all in on team and sport (don't care attitude, it's all about me)

3. just plain ignorant (cannot assess risk versus reward)

And teams owners, GM's, and coaches do want to know which type of player they are dealing with as it can have a major impact on the team and roster at some point.  It's another tool in the 'character assessment' of their player(s). The other issue is not all states have cleared weed for medical purposes. And I also believe until that happens, the NFL won't create policy that appears to endorse the use of MJ while many states and the Fed have not legalized it, yet.

So while we may not even hear about positive test results until the 3rd violation, for the teams a first one is bad news.  That player then is entered automatically into the NFL Drug Intervention program level 1.  At this point, that player can be tested for recreational substances at any time, including during the season (unlike the other players who have never tested positive or been arrested with substances) .  Now screw up player just lost his chance to smoke during the season as he will get tested... often...  and eventually caught again.  And on the third time we hear about it the complaints flow about how stupid  (yes indeed) that player is potentially jeopardizing his team and career and also how the NFL should just legalize it or maybe even create another bowl- the pot circle bowl (Ok, that's over the top, but...).

The next time the NFL will address it is likely the next CBA, where we already know there are plenty of items already the NFLPA want.  So the question will be what do they relinquish in return to get those items, and how long can they hold out in a lockout?

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly.  I cannot say this enough- but I'm going to be more frank about it this time. The NFL does not even test for substances of abuse; During_The_Season!  They only test for 'recreational drugs'  in the off season.  So once game 1 is underway, the players pretty much have Carte Blanche to smoke away as the NFL drug tests are only_for_PED's until the season ends.

In the off season, there are some indications (according to many vets and former front office personnel interviewed) when you will get a test, and thus have time to be/stay clean to pass it.  So the theory is many do indeed know how to "use the system" as you put it.  And the typical feeling by players and teams are that players and  potential draftees that cannot ;figure this out and get "caught" are either -

And teams owners, GM's, and coaches do want to know which type of player they are dealing with as it can have a major impact on the team and roster at some point.  It's another tool in the 'character assessment' of their player(s). The other issue is not all states have cleared weed for medical purposes. And I also believe until that happens, the NFL won't create policy that appears to endorse the use of MJ while many states and the Fed have not legalized it, yet.

So while we may not even hear about positive test results until the 3rd violation, for the teams a first one is bad news.  That player then is entered automatically into the NFL Drug Intervention program level 1.  At this point, that player can be tested for recreational substances at any time, including during the season (unlike the other players who have never tested positive or been arrested with substances) .  Now screw up player just lost his chance to smoke during the season as he will get tested... often...  and eventually caught again.  And on the third time we hear about it the complaints flow about how stupid  (yes indeed) that player is potentially jeopardizing his team and career and also how the NFL should just legalize it or maybe even create another bowl- the pot circle bowl (Ok, that's over the top, but...).

The next time the NFL will address it is likely the next CBA, where we already know there are plenty of items already the NFLPA want.  So the question will be what do they relinquish in return to get those items, and how long can they hold out in a lockout?

Good points. To go too much deeper into this subject could get too political real quick IMO.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Very well written post CBFL & very informative too. I had no idea that the league only tests for illegal narcotics in the off season. I figured once a player signed their contract they were eligible to pee in a cup all year round unless they got let go or released by a team.

I find testing protocols for HGH, steroids, & illegal drugs kind of fascinating--when they do it, if they ever alter their schedule, & how firm the league will be once HGH testing is deemed mainstream since rapid healing from injury equals more money, more highlight reels, & more NFL publicity in football shows as promos for jacked up hits & amazing touchdown catches to promote the shield as a brand & fatten broadcasting deals among TV & satellite networks.