Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It was nice knowing you Turbin

CR91

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a huge deal to me at all. Yeah I know, pot is considered an illegal drug & banned substance according to the league & yes, all the players agreed to adhere to the conditions specified in the CBA; I get that. However, in the grand scheme on things, this minor infraction means nothing next to say domestic violence crimes against women or say a huge gun smuggling ring across state lines. 

To me, Turbin isn't a pariah here & it's not worth cutting him loose over this incident. Have a chat with the man & see where his head is at. I'm not hanging Turbin out to dry over this. Heck, depending on where an athlete grew up as a kid, smoking pot may just be a recreational thing you only do once in a great while to rekindle your youth & take the edge off. 

After I had a relative make a mistake transporting  pot across state lines in his car & darn near mess up his life for good, I'm more relaxed on drug related police matters then I used to be. Plus, as more & more states loosen their policies on marijuana consumption for say chronic back pain or soldiers returning with PTSD & pot helps them live more comfortably with less anxiety; I don't see the need to come down on roster assets that we need as the season progresses. 

In a nutshell, Turbin takes the slap on the wrist & remains with the Colts IMO. Nobody died & pot isn't as bad as say the addictive nature of heroin that some athletes get addicted to that is cheaper than prescription meds for most people. 

Besides, if we cut loose everybody in this world who made a foolish decision in their lifetime, there wouldn't be anyone left to discipline anybody. God knows, I've done some stupid stuff in my life over the yrs. when I was younger. I sure as hades am not gonna crucify Turbin over this. He's not the anti-christ here. I'm a big believer in 2nd, 3rd, & even 4th chances especially if I know he's a good guy & has the potential to be a great locker room leader someday. 

I know INDY prefers choir boys or fine upstanding citizens in their community on the roster, which is okay, but sometimes, agreeing to ride it out with a guy with a couple of hiccups in his past is good because it shows the locker room, fans, & city that we can all fall, get back up, redeem ourselves, & do great things in this world on this team. Keep him Jimmy, Pags, & Grigs. He will make you proud for 1 reason & 1 reason only: You didn't throw him away when it was easy to do so. You kept him around & he will remember that & won't disappoint those who believed in him. Trust me. 

1 hour ago, Solon said:

cris-carter.jpg

Cris Carter is the perfect example of a HOF athlete who wore out his welcome in Philly due to addiction & completely redefined his life & career in Minnesota. Thank you for that Solon. Yes, I know Buddy Ryan let Carter go. But, Cris did put his demons behind him eventually, which he deserves a lot of credit for. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

By the thread title I thought he was cut lol

I said outloud. "Ah man, Turbin died. Really? That's a shame man." 

Then, I read further & I was like this is it? A non-starter. Sorry I thought you perished Turbin. My bad. haha 

"It was nice knowing you" is a textbook eulogy phrase delivered at a funeral. Just saying. I'm glad I was wrong naturally. 

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Dudes got talent. He is just to dumb to take advantage of it, Is why Seattle and Dallas sent him packing. There is a lightbulb on the ceiling but no electricity in the house

I would venture to say that  well over half of NFL players would have at least a joint at all times. With their type of money you can bet it would be more than one joint too. By the time we hear of a player testing positive I think it is after their third test has failed. So it's not an uncommon thing in the NFL or anyone else for that matter.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Cris Carter is the perfect example of a HOF athlete who wore out his welcome in Philly due to addiction & completely redefined his life & career in Minnesota. Thank you for that Solon. Yes, I know Buddy Ryan let Carter go. But, Cris did put his demons behind him eventually, which he deserves a lot of credit for. 

I'm thinking because Solon quoted CR91 saying he'll probably just  blame it on the passenger, I'm thinking it's a play on Cris Carter telling NFL rookies to have a 'fall guy' in their group, a friend not in the league who takes the blame for things when they go wrong and keeps the players out of trouble.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/cris-carter-told-nfl-rookies-to-get-a-fall-guy-in-case-they-get-in-trouble

If that's the case -- well played, Solon!

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'm thinking because Solon quoted CR91 saying he'll probably just  blame it on the passenger, I'm thinking it's a play on Cris Carter telling NFL rookies to have a 'fall guy' in their group, a friend not in the league who takes the blame for things when they go wrong and keeps the players out of trouble.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/cris-carter-told-nfl-rookies-to-get-a-fall-guy-in-case-they-get-in-trouble

If that's the case -- well played, Solon!

I get that from a comic relief perspective CFMC, but in reality # 80 is a model citizen now & not exactly Cheech & Chong.  

If you were going to make the fall guy argument or cater sarcastically to a guy being at the wrong place at the wrong time, Ray Lewis early in his Ravens career would have been a better analogy IMO. A homicide allegation as opposed to an illegal narcotics association that is. 

On 7/12/2016 at 11:13 PM, southwest1 said:
On 7/12/2016 at 9:37 PM, Solon said:
cris-carter.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think the posting of Cris Carter's photo has to do with his "make sure you have a fall guy" advice at the rookie symposium a while back.

No biggie. Your point is valid, but I think you missed his maybe...

Love ya.

Sent from my Nexus 5 *

29 minutes ago, MrNLM said:

I could be wrong, but I think the posting of Cris Carter's photo has to do with his "make sure you have a fall guy" advice at the rookie symposium a while back.

No biggie. Your point is valid, but I think you missed his maybe...

Love ya.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the kind words on my behalf Mr. NLM Thanks. 

I remember exactly when Carter said those fall guy words at an NFL Symposium quite a few years ago now. Cris was telling the truth. A number of NFL athletes traveled in crews or small groups in which 1 guy would take the fall to earn the respect of veterans on a team long before Roger Goodell was named Commissioner of the NFL. Hades, I imagine Micheal Irvin under HC Barry Switzer did his own share of allowing up & coming Dallas players to take the fall for #88's indiscretions from gentlemen's clubs to women all over the place. 

That's why I laughed when the league pretended to be so shocked & appalled by what Cris said. Please. Drop the fake outrage NFL. Okay sure, they were worried about corporate sponsors not pitching their products during football games & losing money. And yes, it's not a good look having NFL stars of yesteryear telling rookies how to get away with shady activities. I get that from a squeaky clean image persona as family friendly entertainment goes. But, the NFL is all about grown men not boys in college anymore. It's a professional job & if athletes wanna get a little wild & crazy within reason I'm cool with it. 

Cris Carter got in trouble because he spoke the truth unvarnished & the sanitized NFL hated it. Carter lifted the veil or helmet on how the league looked the other way on infractions of premier players under the Paul Tagliabue era before Goodell came in with a new discipline emphasis. JMO. 

Yep, the NFL was so shocked over Carter's comments on family friendly broadcast & cable television corrupting young minds while they sold time to beer & Trojan condom spots on TV. LOL! 

I hope Turbin survives this.       I'm not aware of any other trouble that he's been in.

One joint does not make me want to have the Colts cut him.       Guess we'll find out soon enough.....    I think we report to camp in roughly two weeks....

I don't think it's that big of a deal........for you and me.  But for an NFL player who KNOWS they can be drug tested at ANY time, and KNOWS they can be suspended or banned, and yet they STILL do it, big red flag as far as priorities go.  If its just a first offense, fine, see what happens.  If not......

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't think it's that big of a deal........for you and me.  But for an NFL player who KNOWS they can be drug tested at ANY time, and KNOWS they can be suspended or banned, and yet they STILL do it, big red flag as far as priorities go.  If its just a first offense, fine, see what happens.  If not......

I understand what you are saying but reality is that weed is smoked at a very high rate in all walks of life. Rich, poor, color no difference. Police, doctors and even the almighty lawyers and judges who made their living off prosecuting, fining and locking up people for possession. Lets not overlook supporting the judicial system. At least a NFL player just plays a game of football. Those other people I mentioned are not playing games for our amusement. It shouldn't be any different for NFL players? You may ask why? Because NFL players are human and have the same faults as any other human. Drug use goes on in every facet of lives. Not preaching, just telling my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Its not made public until the 3rd offense if I remember correctly, This one was made public

I think that may have more to do with them drug testing him positive.  I will assume they keep that quiet until the 3rd offense or so.   I haven't see much of any arrest of an nfl player that doesn't go public.

7 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

What is interesting, is that players can be tested for PED's anytime during the year. OTOH, players are only tested in the offseason for Substances of Abuse, not once the regular season begins.  So players can smoke during the season and the drug test won't find it! Only performance enhancing banned substances are tested for. But once caught in off season on a substance of abuse, you are placed into the drug intervention program and can become tested for all drugs any time from there on out. To be caught in the off season says such player is addicted, doesn't care, or has high bravado /denial ( I won't get tested / caught ). None of which is a good explanation in the organizations eyes.

And the recent substance abuse testing policy requires certain levels to be considered positive. But since the substance was spotted by a LEO, maybe the league has other recourse in the Personal Conduct Policy. Interesting.

52 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Its not made public until the 3rd offense if I remember correctly, This one was made public

Made public-

Because it was a citation for possession by a LEO, not the results of a urine sample test. It' s public record.  Not sure if he has tested positive before or is even in the drug program.

21 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know INDY prefers choir boys or fine upstanding citizens in their community on the roster, which is okay, but sometimes, agreeing to ride it out with a guy with a couple of hiccups in his past is good because it shows the locker room, fans, & city that we can all fall, get back up, redeem ourselves, & do great things in this world on this team. Keep him Jimmy, Pags, & Grigs. He will make you proud for 1 reason & 1 reason only: You didn't throw him away when it was easy to do so. You kept him around & he will remember that & won't disappoint those who believed in him. Trust me. 

Won't he be suspended and he'll likely fail a drug test if one is taken. My question is why did they search his car? What ELSE was going on?

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Won't he be suspended and he'll likely fail a drug test if one is taken.

Players  enter  Stage  One  of  the  Intervention  Program  by one  of  three  methods-
Positive Test Result, Behavior, or Self Referral — as more fully described below

Positive  Test Result:

A  Pre-Employment,  Pre Season,  Intervention  Program  or Testing ByAgreement. A  test result that  meets or  exceeds the  established  threshold concentration levels.

Behavior:

Behavior including but not limited to an arrest or conduct related to an alleged misuse of Substances of Abuse occurring up to two (2) football seasons prior to the Player’s applicable scouting combine which, in the judgment of the Medical Director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of Substances of Abuse.

Self - Referral:

Personal notification to the Medical Director bya Player of his desire voluntarily to enter Stage One of the Intervention Program prior to his being notified to provide a specimen leading to a Positive Test Result, and prior to behavior of the type described above becoming known to the Medical Director from a source other than the Player.

If he smoked (enough) and the test was not long after, he just might fail it. Not sure if the NFL had a 'random' test for him shortly after the incident.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

My question is why did they search his car? What ELSE was going on?

I think his car air smelled of weed when the officer went to talk through the window with him.  Probable cause issue.

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This wasn't made public by the NFL.....    it was made public by local authorities....

Big difference....

Also I was wrong about it being his third offense it seems. I was sure I read he has been busted before. I'm not so sure he has now