Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Advice

Barry Sears

I plan to attend Training Camp at Anderson University for the first time this summer.  Any advice that you can give me on here?  I found information on parking, etc., but I wonder if anyone can estimate how big the crowds are, what are the chances of getting player autographs, do player pose for photos?  I'm taking my 10 year old son and he would LOVE to meet Andrew Luck (like many other kids would, I'm sure).  We plan to go to the first day of public practice on the 27th.  Thanks in advance and GO COLTS!!

Leave early if you want to get a seat in the stadium close enough to meet any players. You can sit along the fence line if you take your own chairs. If you want to eat anything besides hot dogs or burgers eat before going in. The food is nothing to brag about that is for sure. All pre cooked the last time I was there.  Take water or pay $2 for a small bottle. Sunscreen is a must because there little to no shade. You can take pictures but no video. Good luck on meeting players cause it is hit or miss with most of them. The players will randomly meet the fans pretty much all along the lines. I hope this helps you. Have a good time.

I went on a Friday last year.

You should be able to get some Autographs if you are willing to wait on it.  I got Pat McAfee.  I didn't see too many photo ops though so I wouldn't count on that.  

Andrew Luck is going to be the hardest player to get.  When I first started trying to get an autograph he was over with some VIP's that had been brought in.  I think they might have been sick kids from Riley or something.  He came back to start autographing the general public as I was walking out and this huge crowd started gathering around him and a coach yelled at the crowd not to push.  I thought about joining this crowd but decided against it due to self preservation and I thought being at the back ment I wasn't terribly likely to get one anyways.

Its cool because you can get pretty close to the players during practice.  But there is a good number of people there. 

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Leave early if you want to get a seat in the stadium close enough to meet any players. You can sit along the fence line if you take your own chairs. If you want to eat anything besides hot dogs or burgers eat before going in. The food is nothing to brag about that is for sure. All pre cooked the last time I was there.  Take water or pay $2 for a small bottle. Sunscreen is a must because there little to no shade. You can take pictures but no video. Good luck on meeting players cause it is hit or miss with most of them. The players will randomly meet the fans pretty much all along the lines. I hope this helps you. Have a good time.

All of this is true.  

I would strongly recommend bringing chairs and sitting by the fence line personally.  Especially if going for autographs.  Players basically just walk over the to the fence line and start signing at the end of practice so sitting there essentially puts you at the front row.

Also you are suppose to follow NFL's stadium bag policy.  So bring along clear plastic bags to put stuff in.  No backpacks or coolers or anything like that.

BTW here are some photos I snapped to give you an idea of how close to the players you can get.  I'm using photographs that I'm pretty sure I did not zoom on.  Full screen them to get the best idea.

11813285_10153462637485540_5953893356280

Pat McAffee signing autographs.  Above my head someone was holding a large poster they made on cardboard that they wanted him to sign.  

11695796_10153462634030540_7521959493574

Gore

11229685_10153462635190540_1832520074502

11 on 11 drills with Luck at QB

11870674_10153462637105540_1666295884357

Luck throwing on the run.

11846725_10153462637480540_5958670857503

Before McAfee came my way.  Gives you some idea of the crowd that was there. 

There's a good chance of getting autographs if you are patient and have a chance to sit along the fence.  At the nighttime practice, there is a lot of people there, so you have to get there very early.  It's hard to get autographs at the night practice, but the most players sign that night.  I got D'Qwell, Mike Adams, and Freeman that night. I was able to get autographs from Dorsett, Hilton, McAfee, Overton, and Henry Anderson during the day practices.  Definitely bring water, it gets hot quickly sitting in the sun.  Andrew Luck is very hard to get to, unless he walks over to where you are sitting.  The closest I got to him as about 20 feet away.  I did see people taking pictures with players.  The best way IMO to get autographs signed on is a football or a replica helmet that you can buy there.  If I remember correctly the helmets were around $100, so they are a bit pricey, but they look like a good way to get autographs.     

45 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

There's a good chance of getting autographs if you are patient and have a chance to sit along the fence.  At the nighttime practice, there is a lot of people there, so you have to get there very early.  It's hard to get autographs at the night practice, but the most players sign that night.  I got D'Qwell, Mike Adams, and Freeman that night. I was able to get autographs from Dorsett, Hilton, McAfee, Overton, and Henry Anderson during the day practices.  Definitely bring water, it gets hot quickly sitting in the sun.  Andrew Luck is very hard to get to, unless he walks over to where you are sitting.  The closest I got to him as about 20 feet away.  I did see people taking pictures with players.  The best way IMO to get autographs signed on is a football or a replica helmet that you can buy there.  If I remember correctly the helmets were around $100, so they are a bit pricey, but they look like a good way to get autographs.     

Best way to get autographs is to have a kid do it for you.  ;-)

Just joking sort of.  But in all actuality everyone knows that if you try to push to get an autograph before a kid that's next to you then that officially classifies you as a class A jerk.  So there is sort of an unwritten rule about kid's first that as far as I could see everyone seemed to follow.  

11 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

I see on the website a note about there not being space for people to bring lawn chairs...is that something new??  Also, is the "fence" just a roped off area that I see in some photos and are those areas at both ends of the bleachers, or just on one end?

49 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I see on the website a note about there not being space for people to bring lawn chairs...is that something new??  Also, is the "fence" just a roped off area that I see in some photos and are those areas at both ends of the bleachers, or just on one end?

It's mostly just roped off.  Most of the players practice on Anderson University's practice fields and they set up the bleachers to watch those and they rope off one side where everyone sits.  

They also rope off an aisle so that players (basically Overton, McAffee and Vinny) can move to the field where they play their games.  During most of practice those 3 special teams guys practice there although they will come back and participate in practice on the practice fields when they start practicing punts, kickoffs and FG kicking with all 11 players.

I havn't heard anything about the lawn chairs thing so that is new to me.  Although I suppose it's possible that they may just try to make everyone by the ropes stand so as to provide more room for autographs and stop people who bring lawn chairs from having the front row access for them.

19 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Best way to get autographs is to have a kid do it for you.  ;-)

Just joking sort of.  But in all actuality everyone knows that if you try to push to get an autograph before a kid that's next to you then that officially classifies you as a class A jerk.  So there is sort of an unwritten rule about kid's first that as far as I could see everyone seemed to follow.  

That's my 10 year old's job!!!

Was looking at the stuff on Anderson's website.  This sounds different from my experience last year.

"

All fans will be asked to take a seat in either the general public bleacher seating or ADA seating until the end of practice.  To ensure the safety of all attendees, there will be no standing along the perimeter of the field permitted before and during practice. "

http://www.anderson.edu/colts/autographs

So if that is the case you might not be able to get as close as I was for those photos.  Although if that's the case I question how they will be able to handle that many people.  I remember the bleachers looked pretty full and there was plenty of people standing by the roped off sections too.  

I went last year and got Boom, Josh Robinson, and Moncrief's signatures. It seems they rotate defense vs. offense on who gets to go sign things for that day. I was lucky enough to be on the perimeter of the field, so it seems like there are a few changes for this upcoming training camp.

Have fun and take a hat!

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

When I went last year, they used two fields.  The first field as a metal fence surrounding the field and the second one was roped off surrounding the field.  At both fields the fence/rope goes from both ends of the bleachers.  When I went to the day practices, we used a lawn chair at both of the fields, but when we went to the night practice, we were told that no one is allowed to even stand near the fence until there were no more bleacher seats left or if practice was over.  So there's a possibility it is a new rule this year that you cannot use a lawn chair along the fence.  

I went on a Wednesday during the day last year. Get there early to get a nice seat. Lots of people bring their own chairs just so they can sit along the fence and once people are allowed to go in, you can see those people running to get a spot. lol... The reason is that they are closer to get autographs and have a slightly better view. Bring a couple drinks and sun screen for sure, no shade at all and it can get very hot. Bring a few sharpies and something for them to sign. If you stand there after practice long enough, you will get a few autographs. I think I got maybe 10-12 of them last year - Pat McAfee, Boom, Varga, and some other guys. Luck didn't come over to the sidelines that day so you can't get too disappointed if a few certain players don't come over. Some draw more of a crowd than others too but just stand there with your item in the air and hope he grabs it to sign. 

Crowd:

I've been the past 3 years. 

3 years ago, not so busy,

2 years ago, decent amount of people

last year, good luck finding a dang seat if your not atleast 45 minutes early. Lol

Parking/Seating:

Parking last year was $5-$10. This year they are having a special seating area for lawn chairs. There will be no more Len chairs sitting infront of the bleachers right by the fence. I think they have special area that were set up at the end of last year on the two very far sides of the bleachers for lawn chairs that were roped off. BE SURE YOU DONT HAVE A COVER ON YOUR LAWN CHAIR if you decide to bring one. The bleachers are pretty crowded at times but you get a good view either way.

Entering/activities:

When you you first walk in there is a tent with a Colts shop inside. Everything is quite expensive. After leaving the tent there is a big area where you can take advantage of a lot of free promotional items such as food samples, posters, ect. There are also food vendors and games areas for kids and cheerleader autograph sessions.

Weather/Practice/Autographs:

It will be hot. The sitting area faces the sun. Practice is fun to watch. The team will only be in helmets until day 3 or 4 usually due to NFL rules. Players will sign autographs after practice. They will randomly come to an area of the crowd and start signing. It gets pushy so be careful! 

Pet-peeves:

Be prepared for people to be somewhat rude when trying to get an autograph if camp is busy that day. The first year I went I got maybe 10 or so autographs. Then last year I didn't even try. People swarm like bees and will try and push and squeeze their way through people. I'm 21 and still was annoyed with people. Lol I don't feel like fighting anyone so I don't even try to get autographs there if it's busy anymore. What also bothers me is when people push and shove to get an autograph and then ask who the player was after they get it!!!! Lol

Another thing is, which isn't a terrible thing but if you yourself know a lot about the Colts don't expect others around you to. When siting in the bleachers I have heard some of the most ridiculous statements and comments about the NFL and the Colts from all ages. Last year I head an argument that "The Colts drafted Andre Johnson". Most of the things you will hear is just people not knowing who players are and calling players by the wrong names. I understand not all people know but it's just kind of aggravating the things you hear. Lol

Overall: 

It is a pretty fun time! Just be prepared for the weather and enjoy it. It is a good experience being able to be so close to the players and watch them practice. It is also when you see how the team might compete during the year. Have fun!

went to training camp the last 5 years. Was always able to bring chairs in. But last year I got there about 3 hours early  Security told everyone waiting to get in to make sure that if you brought your own chair to not sit in front of the bleachers every five mins security was telling people to move. The top officer said that bringing chairs was going to stop because no one would listen when they said to sit at either end of the bleachers  but not in front of the bleachers. There is always a few to mess up a good thing just because they won't listen when told were to sit

Just now, bellboys said:

went to training camp the last 5 years. Was always able to bring chairs in. But last year I got there about 3 hours early  Security told everyone waiting to get in to make sure that if you brought your own chair to not sit in front of the bleachers every five mins security was telling people to move. The top officer said that bringing chairs was going to stop because no one would listen when they said to sit at either end of the bleachers  but not in front of the bleachers. There is always a few to mess up a good thing just because they won't listen when told were to sit.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided not to go after all, due to the weather, no shade, no lawn chairs along a fence or roped area and little chance of getting autographs from my son's favorite players.  It's a 2.5 hour drive each way and I didn't want him to be disappointed.  Not to mention the comments about the pushing and shoving to get autographs.  My son is small for his age and I was a bit concerned for his safety.  I'm a big guy, but just didn't want to put up with the hassle.  I wanted it to be a fun experience, and I was doubtful that was going to happen with all the factors mentioned above.  Plus it was my son's last day off before school started today.

Thanks for your input.  Maybe we'll try another year.