RockThatBlue

Concerts you've been too...

118 posts in this topic

Ive only been to one but it was awesome. Metallica when they visited Indy in I think it was 2009. 

1 person likes this

I have seen so many concerts I cant list them. The biggest part on them was classic rock. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Seger, Yes, Peter Gabriel, McCartney and Harrison etc...etc...

1 person likes this

I saw Diamond Dave Lee Roth at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI back in 1991 during his "A Little Ain't Enough" Tour. He always puts on a great live show & whenever he performs old VH classics; he gives 'Ain't Talkin' Bout Love' & 'Panama' teeth that Eddie just can't live without him as the leader singer. 

I saw Ronnie James Dio a couple of times. Loved his vocal power. Freddie Mercury of Queen. Jesus, that man had tremendous vocal range. Tesla always puts on a kick caboose show. ZZ Top, Whitesnake, Megadeth: Dave Mustaine revolutionized high speed guitar playing in metal. The dude is incredible. 'Tornado of Souls, In My Darkest Hour, Dialectic Chaos, Hangar 18, & 'Almost Honest' are all masterpieces in my opinion. 

The Scorpions of course. Germans always make top notch singers. They just do. Travis Tritt & Mary Chapin Carpenter on the country side of things. I love Travis's cover of 'Honky Tonk Woman" & Chapin is the best lyricist & performer of songs about loneliness, being forgotten, & resurgence & rebirth on your own terms & your own timetable baby. She's in the upper echelon of master musicians with staying power who will never fade or disappear from relevancy in society. 

I can keep going...Dates of acts come & go but good music will never die. I'm a metal head at heart since birth, but my parents gave me a wide range of genre appreciation from big bang, jazz, reggae, Motown, bluegrass, blues, country, & rock. 

I was bummed that I never got to see Eric Clapton & BB King play together, but when they were in town, I had a prior commitment I couldn't get out of.  

3 people like this

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I saw Diamond Dave Lee Roth at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI back in 1991 during his "A Little Ain't Enough" Tour. He always puts on a great live show & whenever he performs old VH classics; he gives 'Ain't Talkin' Bout Love' & 'Panama' teeth that Eddie just can't live without him as the leader singer. 

I saw Ronnie James Dio a couple of times. Loved his vocal power. Freddie Mercury of Queen. Jesus, that man had tremendous vocal range. Tesla always puts on a kick caboose show. ZZ Top, Whitesnake, Megadeth: Dave Mustaine revolutionized high speed guitar playing in metal. The dude is incredible. 'Tornado of Souls, In My Darkest Hour, Dialectic Chaos, Hangar 18, & 'Almost Honest' are all masterpieces in my opinion. 

The Scorpions of course. Germans always make top notch singers. They just do. Travis Tritt & Mary Chapin Carpenter on the country side of things. I love Travis's cover of 'Honky Tonk Woman" & Chapin is the best lyricist & performer of songs about loneliness, being forgotten, & resurgence & rebirth on your own terms & your own timetable baby. She's in the upper echelon of master musicians with staying power who will never fade or disappear from relevancy in society. 

I can keep going...Dates of acts come & go but good music will never die. I'm a metal head at heart since birth, but my parents gave me a wide range of genre appreciation from big bang, jazz, reggae, Motown, bluegrass, blues, country, & rock. 

I was bummed that I never got to see Eric Clapton & BB King play together, but when they were in town, I had a prior commitment I couldn't get out of.  

I never seen Clapton and King together but I have seen their separate shows. I at least got to see Bowie on his Reality Tour.

1 person likes this

I have seen Kiss - 3 times, Pink Floyd - twice, Jackyl - twice, Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot once when Kevin Dubrow was alive. I also have seen Bob Seger once as well, I went to that because a lady I was dating at the time loved Bob so I took her to that concert at Market Square Arena back in the 90's. I like Bob anyway as well and he is great live!

I've been to two.  The Turtles in 2014 when they were on the Happy Together Tour with Mark Farner, Chuck Negron, Gary Lewis, and Mitch Ryder.  And I saw Robby Krieger last year with his son as the lead singer.

1 person likes this

All of them   would be the "simple"  answer.   hahahaha

Seriously tho,   we have been to way too many to list them all, and all genre's.

Paul McCartney, Ringo, The Eagles, James Taylor, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, etc....  And Many Country Concerts with the favorites being Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Reba, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.    

I think if I listed all the concerts I've been to over the years it would near 400...     I love music,  what can I say?

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have seen Kiss - 3 times, Pink Floyd - twice, Jackyl - twice, Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot once when Kevin Dubrow was alive. I also have seen Bob Seger once as well, I went to that because a lady I was dating at the time loved Bob so I took her to that concert at Market Square Arena back in the 90's. I like Bob anyway as well and he is great live!

Not only do you see Bob Seger you see the Silver Bullitt Band too. That is worth the ticket price itself. Bob is like what Foghat was. You have to see them live to see their best.

1 person likes this

My first show was Aerosmith and Jackyl at the WMT in Chicago 1994.

Best show is a tie between NIN/Saul Williams (I think ot was '09) and the Tool/Primus show that I was just at recently...

I've seen Metallica a few times and they always kick butt, but a lot of people get hurt at their shows. The first time I saw them was at Chicago Motor Speedway and a lot of * fans decided to fill water bottles with rocks and throw them in the air as high as they could... It was total carnage with bloodied people of all races, genders, and ages being carried to a triage tent nearby. 

I don't get to see a lot of shows these days because I have 3 little girls, but I do have a wishlist of bands that I haven't seen and would like to or would have if they still toured.  Some I still might someday, like QOTSA, L7, or Radiohead... Others just weren't meant to be, like the original lineups of Alice in Chains, Sublime, or Nirvana...

1 person likes this

Honestly I really enjoyed Victor Borge!  Ok maybe it should be classified as comedy/entertainment rather than concert but he was good!  I stopped going to concerts many many many years ago but enjoyed most.  The Stones, Grand Funk, Beach Boys, James Taylor, Carole King, John Denver, Wayne Newton, Paul Anka, Joe Coker, Ten Years After, Up With People, Sir Elton, Sha Na Na, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, Paul Revier and the Raiders, Chicago, nonsense and T and a few more!  Thanks for rattling my brain!  Bringing back memories of my long hair, hippie days!  Lol!

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

My first show was Aerosmith and Jackyl at the WMT in Chicago 1994.

Best show is a tie between NIN/Saul Williams (I think ot was '09) and the Tool/Primus show that I was just at recently...

I've seen Metallica a few times and they always kick butt, but a lot of people get hurt at their shows. The first time I saw them was at Chicago Motor Speedway and a lot of * fans decided to fill water bottles with rocks and throw them in the air as high as they could... It was total carnage with bloodied people of all races, genders, and ages being carried to a triage tent nearby. 

I don't get to see a lot of shows these days because I have 3 little girls, but I do have a wishlist of bands that I haven't seen and would like to or would have if they still toured.  Some I still might someday, like QOTSA, L7, or Radiohead... Others just weren't meant to be, like the original lineups of Alice in Chains, Sublime, or Nirvana...

Yeah Jackyl is awesome live! I have seen them a couple of times.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Honestly I really enjoyed Victor Borge!  Ok maybe it should be classified as comedy/entertainment rather than concert but he was good!  I stopped going to concerts many many many years ago but enjoyed most.  The Stones, Grand Funk, Beach Boys, James Taylor, Carole King, John Denver, Wayne Newton, Paul Anka, Joe Coker, Ten Years After, Up With People, Sir Elton, Sha Na Na, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, Paul Revier and the Raiders, Chicago, nonsense and T and a few more!  Thanks for rattling my brain!  Bringing back memories of my long hair, hippie days!  Lol!

Not too sue about Wayne Newton? :scratch:-- Beach Boys with Chuck Berry and Rare Earth was my first concert. Chuck was Chuck but Rare Earth was better than The Beach Boys. That was a long time ago for sure.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not too sue about Wayne Newton? :scratch:-- Beach Boys with Chuck Berry and Rare Earth was my first concert. Chuck was Chuck but Rare Earth was better than The Beach Boys. That was a long time ago for sure.

Lol!  C'mon stop!  My brain is going bonkers!  EW and F, saw Glenn Campbell while he was a studio musician for the Beach Boys!  Wonder if Leon Russell was there?  Three Dog Night!  America!  How did nonsense get in there darn spell check it should be nonsense and T.  Paul Anka.  One that I missed and till today I'm kicking myself in the butt is I didn't attend the Cream concert!  I thought who the heck were they!  Just three guys trying to form a group!

2 people like this

Oops! Sorry hit the submit button my mistake!  Yes like a dummy I told myself who are they not realizing it was Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker!  Oh well it was my loss!  Funny story during Basic Training and AIT my platoon sergeants were James and Moody!  I went from the James Gang to the Moody Blues!  Thanks crazycolt1 for bringing back memories of the past!  Enjoying reminiscing my past!

2 people like this

I've been to a ton of show. The Dead over 20x alone. The biggest show was Roger Waters w/special guests playing the Wall in Berlin the energy there was unexplainable. Bands played all day of course The Scorpions were the last to go before the Wall. 

Today I keep my eyes open for String Cheese Incident. I try not to miss an incident never miss them  at Hornings 

40 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Oops! Sorry hit the submit button my mistake!  Yes like a dummy I told myself who are they not realizing it was Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker!  Oh well it was my loss!  Funny story during Basic Training and AIT my platoon sergeants were James and Moody!  I went from the James Gang to the Moody Blues!  Thanks crazycolt1 for bringing back memories of the past!  Enjoying reminiscing my past!

I never seen the James Gang but I did see Joe Walsh with Heart. Joe always knows how to have a good time.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Lol!  C'mon stop!  My brain is going bonkers!  EW and F, saw Glenn Campbell while he was a studio musician for the Beach Boys!  Wonder if Leon Russell was there?  Three Dog Night!  America!  How did nonsense get in there darn spell check it should be nonsense and T.  Paul Anka.  One that I missed and till today I'm kicking myself in the butt is I didn't attend the Cream concert!  I thought who the heck were they!  Just three guys trying to form a group!

I did see Leon Russell with George Harrison at the 2nd Bangladesh concert at Madison Square. Clapton, Ringo, Billy Preston and Dylan were there with some others.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

best show i ever saw was johnny cash at the vogue 

Ive always heard the vogue was awesome. Never have been though.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Ive always heard the vogue was awesome. Never have been though.

It's been a while but I have been at the Vogue to see Shawn Phillips a couple of times. It's a good place to go if you want to be close to the performers.

most memorable, 4th row center for Stevie Wonder/ Rolling Stones. It was actually pretty scary.  when the stones came on stage, the audience surged toward the stage and all the folding chairs just snapped.  I was surrounded by biker dudes who were pretty menacing.

After that, I just did small shows with mellower audiences.

1 person likes this

On July 10, 2016 at 2:05 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I have seen so many concerts I cant list them. The biggest part on them was classic rock. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Seger, Yes, Peter Gabriel, McCartney and Harrison etc...etc...

Peter Gabriel would be very intriguing to see live because he's so innovative using keyboard sounds on his shows. I respect musicians who constantly challenge themselves & integrate global influences like African chants into their catalog work. 

This song always puts me into a nostalgic trance about my past for some reason & I can't explain why. 

And whenever I hear Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall" or "Wish You Were Here" I always think of a classmate of mine named Mark that nobody knows where he is, what happened to him, or if he's even alive anymore. Mark was a huge Floyd fan BTW. 

Bob Segar would be spectacular to see too. "Main Street" & "Turn The Page" are timeless tracks with no expiration date on them IMO. 

"...Her body softly swaying to that smoky beat/Down on Mainstreet/...Well I'd stand outside at closing time Just to watch her walk on past."

Wonderful visual imagery in those iconic lines in my estimation. 

47 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Peter Gabriel would be very intriguing to see live because he's so innovative using keyboard sounds on his shows. I respect musicians who constantly challenge themselves & integrate global influences like African chants into their catalog work. 

This song always puts me into a nostalgic trance about my past for some reason & I can't explain why. 

And whenever I hear Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall" or "Wish You Were Here" I always think of a classmate of mine named Mark that nobody knows where he is, what happened to him, or if he's even alive anymore. Mark was a huge Floyd fan BTW. 

Bob Segar would be spectacular to see too. "Main Street" & "Turn The Page" are timeless tracks with no expiration date on them IMO. 

"...Her body softly swaying to that smoky beat/Down on Mainstreet/...Well I'd stand outside at closing time Just to watch her walk on past."

Wonderful visual imagery in those iconic lines in my estimation. 

I have to admit that Gabriel was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Not only the sound but the visual was captivating. Just seeing the bass player Tony Leven was something in itself. Tony has come a long way since King Crimson. His list of artist he has worked and recorded with reads like an encyclopedia.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have to admit that Gabriel was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Not only the sound but the visual was captivating. Just seeing the bass player Tony Leven was something in itself. Tony has come a long way since King Crimson. His list of artist he has worked and recorded with reads like an encyclopedia.

Absolutely right CC1. The song "Sledge Hammer" is almost more popular now than the date of it's original record release. That tune & accompanying video still hold their own today too. It would be fascinating to see him do that number live on stage with the corresponding light show before a sold out audience. 

He's really a sharp, thoughtful guy & it's easy to forget he was the front man for Genesis before Phil Collins did double duty as the drummer & lead singer. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Absolutely right CC1. The song "Sledge Hammer" is almost more popular now than the date of it's original record release. That tune & accompanying video still hold their own today too. It would be fascinating to see him do that number live on stage with the corresponding light show before a sold out audience. 

He's really a sharp, thoughtful guy & it's easy to forget he was the front man for Genesis before Phil Collins did double duty as the drummer & lead singer. 

Not too many old rockers don't remember The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. A lot of people thought when Gabriel left Genesis they would die. Wrong. I have seen them a couple of times too and they were also very good. I am not too much into Phil Collins as a solo artist but his work with Genesis brings out something more from him. Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Chester Thomson are great artist.

1 person likes this

I get into this conversation from time to time with people.  What exactly constitutes a concert?  For the most part, what has been listed in this thread is what most people would think of when you talk about concerts:  a big name band or musician performing in a big stadium or arena.  If that is what defines a concert, then I have probably never been to one.  The closest I have ever been to that is Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys at the Stone Pony (a bar with an outdoor stage during the summer) or Say Anything and the Front Bottoms at Starland Ballroom (a small concert venue).  New Jersey has a wealth of musical talent, though, and I go out to see local bands several times a week.  So does going out to a bar or a bowling alley or an abandoned warehouse or an empty carousel building or a stage set up in a park to see some bands play count as a concert?  If you count those, then I've been to hundreds.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

I get into this conversation from time to time with people.  What exactly constitutes a concert?  For the most part, what has been listed in this thread is what most people would think of when you talk about concerts:  a big name band or musician performing in a big stadium or arena.  If that is what defines a concert, then I have probably never been to one.  The closest I have ever been to that is Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys at the Stone Pony (a bar with an outdoor stage during the summer) or Say Anything and the Front Bottoms at Starland Ballroom (a small concert venue).  New Jersey has a wealth of musical talent, though, and I go out to see local bands several times a week.  So does going out to a bar or a bowling alley or an abandoned warehouse or an empty carousel building or a stage set up in a park to see some bands play count as a concert?  If you count those, then I've been to hundreds.

Seeing a musical act anywhere constitutes a concert. Big or small. At least in my opinion anyway.

2 people like this

Seem metallica and lamb of God in Indy in 09 at conseco seen motley on the farewell tour seen social D at the murat Skynard and bad company at klipsch def leppard and kiss at klipsch black sabbath at klipsch and Poison was my first even also seen a great Night Ranger concert in kokomo 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Seem metallica and lamb of God in Indy in 09 at conseco seen motley on the farewell tour seen social D at the murat Skynard and bad company at klipsch def leppard and kiss at klipsch black sabbath at klipsch and Poison was my first even also seen a great Night Ranger concert in kokomo 

I have also seen quite a few shows at Klipsch myself and also when it was Deer Creek. The last one was Creed and Skillet.

I was never a huge concert guy.   I think mostly because they are usually pretty pricey. 

I have seen a few though.   Eric Clapton, Ringo and his all star band, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Ted Nugent, Bad Company and a couple others. 

The last concert I've been too is probably Def Leppard at Elliott Hall of Music in Purdue, it was rocking. It was probably 15 plus years ago.

I've been a concert junkie since I was 15. My cousin took me to see my first big name band in 1969. Grand Funk Railroad at Forest Hills in NY. I've seen acts as subtle as acoustic Phil Keaggy to a Slayer/311 bill in Asbury Park, NJ.

In the 70's I followed Genesis around like a puppy. They were my absolute favorite live act. I have read this thread & noticed a few mentions of Peter Gabriel. I saw him front Genesis & I've seen him solo. In fact, I saw his first solo tour 3 times. Just recently I saw Steve Hackett (guitarist for Genesis 1971-1977) on tour performing songs from his Genesis years along with songs from his solo catalog. Weeks later I went to see the most accurate recreation of 70's Genesis material by a band based in Canada called The Musical Box. I'm still in love with the music of 45+ years ago I can't help it.

2 people like this

On July 10, 2016 at 8:39 PM, 100GFB said:

You've seen some great acts there GFB. Chicago has a phenomenal horn section. My God they are good! Love Neil Young! Man, can that guy rock. 

Victor Borge is so darn funny on the piano talking about punctuation. LOL! A freaking riot! 

1 person likes this

On 7/10/2016 at 9:39 PM, 100GFB said:

Nice eclectic group right there. I saw The Beach Boys & Chicago together at MSG. Both bands came on stage to end the show. There were about 20-30 people on stage for that finale.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Nice eclectic group right there. I saw The Beach Boys & Chicago together at MSG. Both bands came on stage to end the show. There were about 20-30 people on stage for that finale.

Pretty much the same thing happened at the end of the Chicago-Doobie Brothers concert. Chicago kind of bored me a little during their section of the concert but Doobie Brothers brought it. It seemed like Chicago saved all the rocking songs for the ending with the Doobies and ended up a real good time. The Chicago-Doobie version of 25-6 to 4, Listen and I'm A Man was pretty kick butt.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pretty much the same thing happened at the end of the Chicago-Doobie Brothers concert. Chicago kind of bored me a little during their section of the concert but Doobie Brothers brought it. It seemed like Chicago saved all the rocking songs for the ending with the Doobies and ended up a real good time. The Chicago-Doobie version of 25-6 to 4, Listen and I'm A Man was pretty kick butt.

I enjoyed both bands performance on that night. Was your show prior to 1978 when Terry Kath was Chicago's guitarist? He was a criminally underrated guitarist.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:14 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Man, those are some great bands you've saw in concert. I'm jealous.

How was Lamb of god? I've always heard def leppard black sabbath and poison were kick butt in concert.

2 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I enjoyed both bands performance on that night. Was your show prior to 1978 when Terry Kath was Chicago's guitarist? He was a criminally underrated guitarist.

This was only a couple of years ago. I had seen Chicago back in the early 70s before Terry Kath's death and yes, he was a great guitar player. To be honest I liked Chicago a lot better then because they pretty much become a pop group without Terry. A few hits but not the great whole album work as before.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

This was only a couple of years ago. I had seen Chicago back in the early 70s before Terry Kath's death and yes, he was a great guitar player. To be honest I liked Chicago a lot better then because they pretty much become a pop group without Terry. A few hits but not the great whole album work as before.

Couldn't agree more. Kinda like how my favorite band Genesis became a pop band after the 70's.

2 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Couldn't agree more. Kinda like how my favorite band Genesis became a pop band after the 70's.

At least Genesis had Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford and did put out some pretty good stuff regardless of Phil Collins. Stuff like Domino, Home By The Sea and Driving The Last Spike.

1 person likes this