Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts F/A Vet WRs 2012-2015

ar1888

I have been going back and watching past seasons since it is a quiet time of the year. In particular I really paid attention to the veteran Wrs the Colts have brought in over Andrew Lucks run in Indy..After watching the 2012 season, I came away very impressed with Donnie Avery. I remember really liking the signing at the time, but had forgotten how much better he had looked then the rest of the Vet F/A Wrs. I wish the Colts would have kept Avery a few seasons and let Luck grow with him Reggie, and TY.

Here are the season totals for each of the Vet F/A Wrs.

Avery 60 rec., 781 yds, 3tds

Heyward Bey 29 Rec. 309 yds,1 td

Nicks 38 rec. 405 yds, 4 tds

Johnson 41 rec. 503 yds ,4 tds

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he was let go because Hilton had a great rookie season and could do everything Avery could do, and then some.

I agree with you on that, but TY Hilton can also do everything Phillip Dorsett has been advertised to do.

1 hour ago, ar1888 said:

I agree with you on that, but TY Hilton can also do everything Phillip Dorsett has been advertised to do.

But Phillip Dorsett was brought in when it was uncertain Hilton was going to stay.

I think Grigson likes reclamation projects.  I don't think he was necessarily looking for a WR1 or WR2 when signing most of those guys.  No one expected Nicks or DHB to be a WR1 during their time here.  But I think he saw that they have some talent, and trusted the coaches to try and get it out of them.  For whatever reason, it didn't work out.

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he was let go because Hilton had a great rookie season and could do everything Avery could do, and then some.

Avery had a thing with dropping the football at crucial moments and he wasn't very tough. Kind of soft.