Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Four Questions facing Colts after Signing Luck....

NewColtsFan

1. That is the most important topic IMO. Can we improve the Pass Rushing? I have a feeling Grigs will go almost all Defense in next seasons Draft considering he Drafted several O.Lineman in this Draft. So it could improve if we Draft the right players. I can still see Mathis going out with a bang though and getting around 10 Sacks and a lot key pressure's in crucial situations this upcoming season.

2. Will the O.Line turn the corner? I love the Kelly pick so we will see.

3. Can the backfield hold up? I think Gore still has a year or 2 left in the tank.

4. Can Andrew Luck return to old form? IMO yes, especially if we block better for him. Kelly needs to pan out which having a dominant Center makes all the difference in the world for a QB.

The Colts have invested heavily in the OL, between draft picks and coaching changes. It's either going to work, or it's not. I don't think anyone's nervous about it.

I don't think the pass rush will be anything to write home about. I do like Trevor Bates, but he's probably not going to make much of a difference right away. He's probably got a 10% chance of making the roster. We're probably two offseasons away from being able to have a really good defense.

I think the backfield will be fine, and Luck will be fine.

To me, it's all about the coaching staff.

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts have invested heavily in the OL, between draft picks and coaching changes. It's either going to work, or it's not. I don't think anyone's nervous about it.

I don't think the pass rush will be anything to write home about. I do like Trevor Bates, but he's probably not going to make much of a difference right away. He's probably got a 10% chance of making the roster. We're probably two offseasons away from being able to have a really good defense.

Yeah we have a lot of new Coaches. I am hoping the chemistry works. I am really not to nervous about this season, anxious more than anything after going 8-8 and people writing us off. I seen what Andrew is capable of under Chud when we beat a healthy loaded Denver team so I feel good about my 10-6 prediction.

I think the pass rush will be fairly good, not elite but fairly good. I like the interior penetrators we have between Ridgeway, TY Mcgill, Parry, Anderson and Arthur Jones to push the pocket along with Langford.  If we can get some extra juice from Bates and Maggitt to go along with Mathis and Cole I think we'll be somewhere right in the middle.  A good ways away from last years ranking. I can deal with being middle of the pack if our offense is clicking on all cylinders which I think it will.  That in itself is going to create more pass rushing opportunities.  Lack of pass rushing opportunities was another part of the problem last year as well.

As far as the haters and comments, I was watching Mike & Mike this morning and he said something very true.

He said he was on Twitter for awhile discussing the contract after it was signed, and it was clear to him the only people who did not like the contract in general were people who rooted for a team without a top QB. I thought

it explained the so called haters really well.

When people say can he improve, I think they look at his performance in a very narrow statistical way, to take away from what he did. Yes last year was bad, but I believe that shoulder was hurt early, and then the ribs. No excuses, but he was battling injuries and getting killed from the first game. I never thought he looked comfortable in the first game, and it went downhill after that.

But if you throw out last year, what he did in the first three years was incredible. Taking that team to the playoffs and going one more game forward in the playoffs each year with the team surrounding him. He put that team on his back, and that is why he had so many interceptions and fumbles. He tried to make plays which were not there at times. He forced the ball. No excuses once again, but he was put in a position right away where the team was going to rise or fall on his shoulders. I look at it from that perspective. I got mad everytime he locked onto a receiver, and could see the interception coming, but no one was asked to do more in their first three years. I believe the line will be greatly improved, and since the rush was coming up the middle, I believe he will have more time. I think Chud will roll him out, and give him short throws also to slow the rush. Chud. did incredible things for Cam Newton in his first year. I believe you will get the Andrew who played against Charlotte and Denver last year who was not hurt, and beat the Super Bowl champions and lost by 3 to the runner up.

2 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

When people say can he improve, I think they look at his performance in a very narrow statistical way, to take away from what he did. Yes last year was bad, but I believe that shoulder was hurt early, and then the ribs. No excuses, but he was battling injuries and getting killed from the first game. I never thought he looked comfortable in the first game, and it went downhill after that.

But if you throw out last year, what he did in the first three years was incredible. Taking that team to the playoffs and going one more game forward in the playoffs each year with the team surrounding him. He put that team on his back, and that is why he had so many interceptions and fumbles. He tried to make plays which were not there at times. He forced the ball. No excuses once again, but he was put in a position right away where the team was going to rise or fall on his shoulders. I look at it from that perspective. I got mad everytime he locked onto a receiver, and could see the interception coming, but no one was asked to do more in their first three years. I believe the line will be greatly improved, and since the rush was coming up the middle, I believe he will have more time. I think Chud will roll him out, and give him short throws also to slow the rush. Chud. did incredible things for Cam Newton in his first year. I believe you will get the Andrew who played against Charlotte and Denver last year who was not hurt, and beat the Super Bowl champions and lost by 3 to the runner up.

giphy.gif

1. Will the pass rush improve? - Yes, the pass rush will improve over last season. Mathis had a good season considering he was limited and didn't start til midway through the season. Like someone mentioned earlier, next year will probably be defense heavy for us in the draft.

2. Will the O-line improve? - In my opinion, it already has. Joe Philbin, a proven O-line guru, is running the show for the O-line. Ryan Kelly is our new center, unproven yet in the NFL, but I still have high hopes for him. There is competition on the right side of the line this offseason as well and hopefully Joe Philbin can make the right moves to shape the O-line accordingly. 

3. Will the backfield hold up? - Yes, I believe so. Frank Gore should have a good year this year providing our O-line makes the right progress. Gore would have had 1000+ yards last year if it weren't for some penalties and costly fumbles early on. Plus, there is plenty of competition for depth this year too. 

4. Will Luck bounce back? - Yes. a healthy Luck with a (hopefully) solid O-line and he will be right back on track.

Let the critics talk.

Now that Luck is signed, and I have said this before, I hope they now turn their attention to trading for Moe Wilkerson.  We could trade next years no. 2 and maybe Jones as well if necessary.  The Jets need the cap space and we have it for Mo. . He's also 26 and entering his prime years.  He could be a cornerstone player on our defense for many years to come.  The deadline to sign the franchise tag is July 15th.  As far as I know he hasn't signed yet.  Maybe Ryan can make the big trade.  We get Mo they get the cap space for Fitzpatrick.  

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree. We have heavily invested in turning around the OL...picks and coaching changes you really couldn't have asked Grigs to do much more. I agree the pass rush won't be much to speak of. Of course controlling the ball longer on offense and giving them more of rest should help a lot for those older guys like Mathis and Cole but its going to have to be a team effort there....not going to see a broncos style defense here for sure.

I have bigger questions about our lbs and secondary then anything. Outside of Davis I don't think we really know what we have there. DQ and Adams are a year older and perhaps another step slower...eventually father time catches up to you...will this be the year. The rest of the secondary and LB core I think are BIG QUESTION MARKS. Some prospects...hopefully we roll winners on them. I think we've done a good job investing in the DL/OL in the last couple drafts/offseasons to at least make them respectable. Luck just needs to speed up his mental part of his game while cut down on his errant throws. Hopefully more faith in those around him will help him take less chances and give him more confidence in making accurate throws. I think he can do it because he did a lot better his second season after so many mistakes his rookie year. Just get back to that and maybe with the new offense working to make things easier on him should help.

I think to take that next step we will have to continue to invest heavily on defense (pass rush especially) and obviously we will need a rb that can carry the load for us down the road. Hopefully next years draft being deep at RB will help with that and hopefully next seasons free agency and draft will have some help for our pass rush too.

Now that Luck is signed, and I have said this before, I hope they now turn their attention to trading for Moe Wilkerson.  We could trade next years no. 2 and maybe Jones as well if necessary.  The Jets need the cap space and we have it for Mo. . He's also 26 and entering his prime years.  He could be a cornerstone player on our defense for many years to come.  The deadline to sign the franchise tag is July 15th.  As far as I know he hasn't signed yet.  Maybe Ryan can make the big trade.  We get Mo they get the cap space for Fitzpatrick.

I totally agree!  A second round pick next year wont bring a defensive starter.  Besides Wilkerson can be an anchor for years to come!

21 minutes ago, Doctor Mad said:

I totally agree!  A second round pick next year wont bring a defensive starter.  Besides Wilkerson can be an anchor for years to come!

I think this is a nonstarter. Setting aside the draft pick, the Colts are committed to ~$180m in cash in 2016. I don't think they'll be adding another $30m to sign Wilkerson. I don't even think they'd add the $16m to keep him for one year on the tag.

I think they should make a run at him as a free agent in 2017. And I still doubt they do that.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think this is a nonstarter. Setting aside the draft pick, the Colts are committed to ~$180m in cash in 2016. I don't think they'll be adding another $30m to sign Wilkerson. I don't even think they'd add the $16m to keep him for one year on the tag.

I think they should make a run at him as a free agent in 2017. And I still doubt they do that.

We will probably know in a few weeks.  I think if they really wanted to sign him they would find a way to do it this year.  I think even the franchise tag is a possibility.  They will have plenty of space next year to sign him long term.  Get him now and we don't have to make a run next year when the competition heats up.  The Jets need relief now.  Now is the time that makes sense IMO.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

We will probably know in a few weeks.  I think if they really wanted to sign him they would find a way to do it this year.  I think even the franchise tag is a possibility.  They will have plenty of space next year to sign him long term.  Get him now and we don't have to make a run next year when the competition heats up.  The Jets need relief now.  Now is the time that makes sense IMO.

The deadline is 7/15, otherwise Wilkerson plays on the tag in 2016. I doubt anyone trades for him without a long term deal, so if it doesn't happen in the next two weeks, it doesn't happen.

As for the Jets situation, if they really wanted to sign him they probably would have done more to communicate that to him. He feels like they aren't serious about keeping him, kind of spurned lover status, and that's probably true. They have Richardson still on a low cap deal, and they have Leonard Williams on a rookie contract for three years. I think they've decided to let him walk after 2016.

They also don't look to have cap relief after 2016. They're right at the cap right now, and probably will be once final cuts are done. They're likely to find a deal for Fitzpatrick. That all means they'll have no rollover in 2017. They have $150m committed in 2017, before a deal for Fitzpatrick. They need at least $10m for draft picks and in-season moves. Project the cap aggressively at $170m. They'll have $10m for Wilkerson and the rest of their free agent moves. They owe Revis $6m in 2017, so he won't be going anywhere; they could pick up almost $20m between Clady and Mangold, if necessary.

Long story short, they have some significant pruning to do in order to keep Wilkerson past 2016. And he just might tell them to kick rocks and refuse to even listen to their offers, assuming they keep him on the tag this year. They could tag him again at ~$20m, but that's unlikely, IMO. If they don't reach a long term deal in the next two weeks, he'll be there in 2016, and then he's gone.

On 6/30/2016 at 1:04 AM, NewColtsFan said:

An NFL.com story....

4 questions that Colts fans should consider....    honestly,  these are questions that we all talk about all the time....    but now the rest of the NFL is too....

Just click and read....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000672165/article/four-questions-facing-colts-after-signing-andrew-luck

1.   Has too ,

2. Of course it can .

3. Yes .

4.Even better ...