Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interview with Howard Mudd

backshoulderfade

26 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I found this on Bleacher Report the other day. So this site supposedly interviewed Howard Mudd. If this is legit he has some interesting things to say. Kelly could be a star on the line from day 1.

http://www.indyendzone.com/#!Interview-with-former-Colts-Offensive-Line-Coach-Howard-Mudd/cjds/577040020cf2bcae6e3fdd7d

Good piece, I like Mudd and always enjoying reading interviews with him.

I had to admit on, before the draft, I had not watched Kelly and so I believed the scouting reports, after the draft I was watching a video of the Colts ILB, Morrison and it was the game Florida played Alabama.  And I kept rewinding it so I could watch Kelly.  After that I disagreed with the scouting reports, I did not see any weaknesses in his game.  I am really excited to see him suit up for the Colts.

Kelly does have weaknesses in his game. Particularly on the left side with a swim move from defenders. He'll be working on that I know. He also tends to be on the ground from time to time. He's thrust when engaging defenders. But that's a speed issue. I'm not concerned about it because to need to have that speed in the NFL. Overall Ryan is a great center. No one is perfect and his flaws can be fixed. 

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

Kelly does have weaknesses in his game. Particularly on the left side with a swim move from defenders. He'll be working on that I know. He also tends to be on the ground from time to time. He's thrust when engaging defenders. But that's a speed issue. I'm not concerned about it because to need to have that speed in the NFL. Overall Ryan is a great center. No one is perfect and his flaws can be fixed. 

based on?

17 hours ago, a06cc said:

I disagree, I've gone back and watched as much as I can find on him.  Just because he gets beaten once in a while on something does not make it a weakness, iMO.  I think a weakness is when someone consistently can't handle something.

To the bolded, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

18 hours ago, a06cc said:

How many sacks did Kelly give up as a starter in college? Most all offensive linemen end up on the ground from time to time. I don't see it as a problem. His talent level has drawn attention not only from the Colts but the whole NFL and anyone who has knowledge of centers in the NFL.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I think he will be better than Jeff Saturday and I love JS.  This is the best college center since the Steelers draft pick years ago according to some scouts.  JS overachieved but Kelly just needs to achieve.

How did Jeff Saturday overachieve?   Saturday was a great center and he played great.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

How did Jeff Saturday overachieve?   Saturday was a great center and he played great.

I think he means he overachieved according to his measurables coming out of college. Size , strength and speed   ..? Something had to factor into not being drafted and then pumping gas before the Colts signed him.

He will have his ups and downs this year as he adjusts to the variety of blitzes he will see but he wont be the complete mess we have had at Center over the last few years. He just needs to stay healthy and he will learn and get better

On June 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If there is one person whose opinion I respect, it is Mr. Mudd!

Preach! Mudd is one of the greatest OL coaches we've ever had in Indy. Great to hear from him, man definitely knows his X's and O's. 

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

He didn't answer the question in this interview, but he said previously that Tarik Glenn was the best lineman he ever coached.

I can get on board with this statement. Only real knock on TG was his problem from time to time when faced with great speed rushers, to false start. I think that was just trying to time the ball being hiked, and was just early sometimes. TG had long arms and big hands, he could ball with the best of them. He also seemed very fluid for such a big man. One of the Indy greats, no doubt. 

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

I think he means he overachieved according to his measurables coming out of college. Size , strength and speed   ..? Something had to factor into not being drafted and then pumping gas before the Colts signed him.

Yes, that is what I meant.  and Jeff did play great.

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He overachieved from a standpoint that he was un-drafted and not blessed with a ton of physical gifts.

He succeeded based on smarts and heart and guts and want to and will and desire.    

I'm guessing that's what the poster meant.....

On June 29, 2016 at 2:33 PM, backshoulderfade said:

I found this on Bleacher Report the other day. So this site supposedly interviewed Howard Mudd. If this is legit he has some interesting things to say. Kelly could be a star on the line from day 1.

http://www.indyendzone.com/#!Interview-with-former-Colts-Offensive-Line-Coach-Howard-Mudd/cjds/577040020cf2bcae6e3fdd7d

I don't understand the skepticism.....

"Supposedly interviewed Howard Mudd."....???

"If this is legit....."...????

It's a simple, straightforward Q & A story.      If this was bogus,  then Mudd himself would be calling out the website and complaining.     To the best of my knowledge, that hasn't happened.      This is legit until proven otherwise.

This isn't the kind of thing that would be faked.   

"TE's that can help him [Luck]...Failure didn't bother them [2006 INDY o-line] because when any one of them were beaten, they would get up, brush themselves off and go after the next play."

These are my favorite comments from Howard in the article because we need to lean on our TEs more just to take pressure off of Moncrief & Hilton keeping opposing DC's hesitating about where Andrew might be going with the ball. 

I always remember something HOF TE Shannon Sharpe said "Football is all about the punishment you take daily & your willingness to cope with humiliation & keep on fighting." Not an exact quote but Sharpe said it guest hosting ESPN First Take a few months ago when Stephen A. Smith was on vacation.

I like that statement because too much emphasis is put on intelligence & not enough on a guy's willingness to constantly be embarrassed & having selective amnesia for the next down, next quarter, next half of football.  

I know it's common practice to say look how far we came when you lose a SB like we did in 2009, but I hate that line of reasoning. I truly do. Yeah, I know coaches & teammates are just looking for a nice way to cushion the blow & lick their symbolic wounds. I get it...in theory. 

You just need that pain, agony, & bitterness to fuel your team next yr. I want my organization ticked off that they lost. Don't sugarcoat the loss by claiming hey you won your conference. Who cares? If your team's confetti doesn't fall from the rafters, it's meaningless. That's why I hold Jerry Rice in such high regard because his 49ers understood that. There's nothing to celebrate when your club loses a SB. JMO. 

11 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think he's speaking from the standpoint of Saturday was not your ideal center physically speaking while Kelly is more so.  It's a compliment to both men not a shot at either. He's saying Saturday did a lot compared to what was expected of him coming out of college and since he was undated and he turned into one of the best centers in football in his era yeah he overachieved.  It's not a bad thing.

I hope I'm placing this right. I dont know what went on with that group Mudd had in Philly though. They got Mike Vick assasinated and it was painful to watch. Very bad group! Mudds Indy years were good though.

18 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

I can get on board with this statement. Only real knock on TG was his problem from time to time when faced with great speed rushers, to false start. I think that was just trying to time the ball being hiked, and was just early sometimes. TG had long arms and big hands, he could ball with the best of them. He also seemed very fluid for such a big man. One of the Indy greats, no doubt. 

Mudd actually addressed that in his interview about developing the silent snap count.  He claimed Glenn was just so insync with the snap the refs flagged him even though he didn't actually false start.

On 6/30/2016 at 3:00 PM, dw49 said:

On 6/30/2016 at 11:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

He overachieved from a standpoint that he was un-drafted and not blessed with a ton of physical gifts.

He succeeded based on smarts and heart and guts and want to and will and desire.    

I'm guessing that's what the poster meant.....

I can understand saying he over achieved based on an undrafted player becoming a probowler.  But not that he overachieved based on his physical traits.  Because that would indicate that all it takes to be a good lineman is physical traits and that is not the case.  I think Saturday shows more a flaw in the drafting system than an over achievement on Saturday's part.

On 6/30/2016 at 9:08 PM, GoColtsWin said:

I really think Glenn got a bad rap on false starts, He was blazing fast in standing up and be prepared for all types of rushers (Bull, Speed, Twisting). Numerous times you could see that Glenn was fast "off the snap" and many line judges simply thought he was early but replay bears out a different point

On July 5, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I can understand saying he over achieved based on an undrafted player becoming a probowler.  But not that he overachieved based on his physical traits.  Because that would indicate that all it takes to be a good lineman is physical traits and that is not the case.  I think Saturday shows more a flaw in the drafting system than an over achievement on Saturday's part.

No .. physical traits don't guarantee that a player will be good. But on the other hand , players are greatly effected by their size , athletic ability , speed and strength when being evaluated . I'm assuming that Saturday was lacking in these aspects as he was a starter at North Carolina in his freshman year and was all ACC for 2 years. So no problem with his college play at a major program. Here's an article that describes how he went from gas station attendant to Pro Bowl center. It seems to me that he was a classic over achiever. I think we have a difference of an opinion on what an "over achiever " is . But no big deal....

Pretty good article and he was called an over achiever in this.. not that it makes me right and you wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1535856-illustrating-jeff-saturdays-journey-from-undrafted-free-agent-to-all-time-great

On 6/29/2016 at 6:02 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Good piece, I like Mudd and always enjoying reading interviews with him.

I had to admit on, before the draft, I had not watched Kelly and so I believed the scouting reports, after the draft I was watching a video of the Colts ILB, Morrison and it was the game Florida played Alabama.  And I kept rewinding it so I could watch Kelly.  After that I disagreed with the scouting reports, I did not see any weaknesses in his game.  I am really excited to see him suit up for the Colts.

Go watch Ole Miss vs. Alabama, and you will see Nkemdiche school Kelly more than a few times; straight up, looping stunts, in the gap, spin, you name it.  Maybe some scouts watched that game. At least it was NFL caliber opponent, and something Kelly can improve upon.  He's already really good.