Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Signs (Merged)

Virtuoso80

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I have to laugh at some of the comments on this thread.....Osweiler breaks the bank and now Houston is the team to beat but Indy is foolish for doing EXACTLY what is expected???? Wow, reality checks are needed by some???? 

Yeah I know and I personally think if anyone isn't worth the money it's OZ. He is an Average QB, Above Average at best IMO. Andrew has shown signs of being Great at times in his first 3 seasons which is a pretty big time frame and at worse should be labeled Good in his 4 seasons overall even factoring in last season.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton had a neck injury and many thought he wouldn't be the same after words. Not only that we knew we were getting Luck in the Draft so it was time to move on. Peyton spent 14 years here and in order to rebuild and get under the Salary Cap we had to let him go, you act like we did him dirty and just got rid of him after his 6th or 7th season or something. We weren't winning a SB with Peyton with the Roster we had anyway. Who really cares if Luck spends his whole career here, we now have him through his prime years and for the next 6 seasons. The 49ers let Montana walk because they had Steve Young, it happens! Worry about this stuff in the year 2022 which is a long ways off and please try to be more positive. Almost everyone of your Post seems to be negative.

You misunderstood my point the other poster said there is no chance of Luck ever being let go, or going anywhere else etc I'm pointing out how unrealistic that is considering most players end up going elsewhere before they retire(Manning is an example)

This isn't a Luck vs Manning debate here.

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

You misunderstood my point the other poster said there is no chance of Luck ever being let go, or going anywhere else etc I'm pointing out how unrealistic that is considering most players end up going elsewhere before they retire(Manning is an example)

This isn't a Luck vs Manning debate here.

I apologize. I read your Post as meaning something different. I agree with you regarding thinking that Luck will or could eventually play for a different team because a lot of guys do toward the end of their career. I am just glad we will have him in his prime years now at least.

On June 29, 2016 at 2:17 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

He is here to stay

Stability is always a great thing. No doubt about it. 

On June 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Jason_S said:

That was never in question :P

Until Chewbacca signed the dotted line, nothing was certain. After 18 was released in INDY, I take nothing as set in stone anymore. 

On June 29, 2016 at 3:04 PM, shakedownstreet said:

***** got paid!

As ZZ Top would say, "I just got paid today. Got me a pocket full of change." KA Ching; KA Ching! 

On June 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Cynjin said:

Why would you want to get rid of a flip phone?

Right on C-ynjin. Luck's rejection of modern technology & the iPhone is why I love the guy man. Among other reasons as well of course. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@SW1, yeah until a player signs on the dotted line anything can happen. I am just glad he signed and will be a Colt until at least through 2021.

Well stated CBE. I'm looking forward to seeing Luck & company prove a lot of critics wrong this yr. including Skip Bayless on FS1 whatever his new show is about to be called anyway. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Well stated CBE. I'm looking forward to seeing Luck & company prove a lot of critics wrong this yr. including Skip Bayless on FS1 whatever his new show is about to be called anyway. 

I seen a preview on ESPN this morning that First Take is bringing someone else in to debate with Stephen A. but they aren't saying who. So that show will go on. I wonder who it will be? Molly is still going to be the moderator. I have no idea what Skip's new show is going to be about on Fox.

On June 29, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Narcosys said:

smdh.  I've just read up on all Superman has said but it only slightly alleviates my issues with this.  That being he doesn't deserve it.  He hasn't played or shown the potential to play at that kind of level that he just got paid. 

Teams are not happy with the colts right now that's for sure.  Now contracts are really going to get skewed.  

So what's your solution?  Let him become a free agent and sign with someone else for that kind of money?  Because that's what would have happened.  That was his market value and rather you think he's earned it or not 99% of the teams in the NFL would have been tripping over themselves to pay him that kind of contract had they had the chance.  Don't believe me?  Look at the contract Brock just got from the Texans.  

Also contracts like this are not new in the NFL.  This is what happens one player sets the bar and then the next big star comes along and breaks it.  This is much like when Peyton got his first contract extension here just over a decade later.  Teams knew this was coming and the Colts know when Lucks deal is up in 2021 they will probably have to break the bank again to keep him.  This has been going on for years in the NFL and with the new TV deals ready to kick in contracts are only going to get bigger.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I seen a preview on ESPN this morning that First Take is bringing someone else in to debate with Stephen A. but they aren't saying who. So that show will go on. I wonder who it will be? Molly is still going to be the moderator. I have no idea what Skip's new show is going to be about on Fox.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm glad Molly will still be on the show & that it will still be on the air in some form. It does make you wonder if that want another clown like persona or a more logical individual beside Mr. Smith.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So what's your solution?  Let him become a free agent and sign with someone else for that kind of money?  Because that's what would have happened.  That was his market value and rather you think he's earned it or not 99% of the teams in the NFL would have been tripping over themselves to pay him that kind of contract had they had the chance.  Don't believe me?  Look at the contract Brock just got from the Texans.  

Also contracts like this are not new in the NFL.  This is what happens one player sets the bar and then the next big star comes along and breaks it.  This is much like when Peyton got his first contract extension here just over a decade later.  Teams knew this was coming and the Colts know when Lucks deal is up in 2021 they will probably have to break the bank again to keep him.  This has been going on for years in the NFL and with the new TV deals ready to kick in contracts are only going to get bigger.

This is a good point. The next good QB up is going to get the money. The cap is going up, as well as the TV revenues. There was no way the Colts weren't going to sign Luck, and despite some inconsistencies and injuries, he was going to get his money. Flacco got his money too, because like Luck, he is a good QB with playoff success. You could argue some factors where both of those guys may have deserved less money , or a better structure for the team, but really neither team had much choice but to pay, as unproven QB options are fatal in the NFL. It's the price of doing business in a pass happy league. 

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Reading and understanding Lucks contract is not blind royalty. Lucks contract is in line for other franchise quarterbacks. It has been explained pretty much into detail and the cap hit that comes with it by other forum members. It is a team friendly contract. Why are you even bringing Brady into this thread. Brady has zero to do with the Colts and Lucks contract. For myself I couldn't care less about what Brady's contract is.

Brady was just an example-I could have easily said Wilson too, have an issue with other QB name dropping?

20 hours ago, Jason_S said:

the plan was always to build the entire team (defense included) through the draft.  That was the plan from day one with this regime.  They had to bring in a lot of mid-level FAs during that time to bandaid the holes on defense because they chose to really build the offense first.  Now that the offense (aside from the OL) is mostly settled, they've been spending more and more draft resources on the defense.  There was never any intent to build the defense through free agency.  Not sure what would have given anyone that idea.

I'm not sure if that was really their plan.  I think they wanted to rebuild and win now at the same time expecting Luck to be able to carry the team and cover up a lot of deficiencies.  After 4 years, this team is still a work in progress. We are still and older than average team.  I think they kind of hit the reset button this offseason with their FA signings and draft picks.  Fortunately, we seem to have some young talent to develop now.  

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, my number is for 2013. My bad. 

The NFL dropped its tax exempt status, so no more public filings after 2015. We won't know how much Goodell is compensated, moving forward. 

9 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

keeping luck is a no brainer, making him the best paid player is repeating the mistakes from our past. 

Signing QBs is not repeating any mistakes of the past. Without Manning the Colts could very well be not here and defiantly Lucas Oil Stadium would not be here. The Colts would not have been considered a top tier team all these years. Without Luck this team would be a 2-14 team like it was before he got here. So if that is your idea of a mistake I cant agree with you.

21 hours ago, MTC said:

Did Luck deserve the new contract based off how he played? No.

Was it necessary to sign him to that? Very much, yes.

Yes he did.  You are really giving too much weight to a handful of games from last season.

23 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I just didn't think that needed to be said.  It's almost like he's jealous or something.  I am not sure why anyone would question what he's done in 3 in a half years.

Booger has a right to voice his opinion as much s anyone else does. :P

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Until Chewbacca signed the dotted line, nothing was certain. After 18 was released in INDY, I take nothing as set in stone anymore. 

Only an injury as serious as Manning's neck injury would have prevented Luck from being re-signed by the Colts. Luck being re-signed was as much a foregone conclusion as it was that Irsay was going to draft Luck over RG3. lol

5 hours ago, austriancolt said:

keeping luck is a no brainer, making him the best paid player is repeating the mistakes from our past. 

That's what the market for him said he was worth.  He wasn't going to take less.  So it was either pay him more, pay him what we did or not paying him and letting him become a free agent in a year and see some other team gladly pay him what the Colts did.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Signing QBs is not repeating any mistakes of the past. Without Manning the Colts could very well be not here and defiantly Lucas Oil Stadium would not be here. The Colts would not have been considered a top tier team all these years. Without Luck this team would be a 2-14 team like it was before he got here. So if that is your idea of a mistake I cant agree with you.

A mistake I don't mind repeating for elite QB's!!

Mistake on!!!

{Yes, that means I fully expect Luck to 'Get There' ... Elite status}

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Only an injury as serious as Manning's neck injury would have prevented Luck from being re-signed by the Colts. Luck being re-signed was as much a foregone conclusion as it was that Irsay was going to draft Luck over RG3. lol

90% of the time you're right Jason. Franchise QBs never leave their draft city that's true, but I've been around long enough to know that nothing is real or done until you sign your John Hancock on the dotted line & make it official. Deals fall thru all the time. Remember Elvis Dumervil? 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That's what the market for him said he was worth.  He wasn't going to take less.  So it was either pay him more, pay him what we did or not paying him and letting him become a free agent in a year and see some other team gladly pay him what the Colts did.

Well, we would Franchise tag him at 21+ million after he played this year at 16+ million. Then another Franchise tag at around 25 million the following season.  He would be ours over 3 years for around 62+ million.  But that's not how you roll with Franchise/Elite QB's. Or set a reputation to their agents....

Get them at market value, and do it long term. As cap friendly as you can structure it.  Colts did that. :rock:

On Friday, July 01, 2016 at 10:30 AM, GoColts8818 said:

99% suggests that every other team wants him.  A little overconfident there.  If that'd what they HAD to pay him to keep him,  so be it.  But I still don't think he has proven he's worth it.  Brock went to the texans and they would pay anything for someone who has even a little experience.

43 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

99% suggests that every other team wants him.  A little overconfident there.  If that'd what they HAD to pay him to keep him,  so be it.  But I still don't think he has proven he's worth it.  Brock went to the texans and they would pay anything for someone who has even a little experience.

So by breaking just about every record that can be broke for a 3 1/2 year QB you don't think he has earned it? He would own every record for a 4 years QB had he not been injured. That is while playing for a rookie contract. Luck has earned every cent he signed for.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So by breaking just about every record that can be broke for a 3 1/2 year QB you don't think he has earned it? He would own every record for a 4 years QB had he not been injured. That is while playing for a rookie contract. Luck has earned every cent he signed for.

I still knock him on his high and behind throws. He does that alot and has put the Colts in a bad spot or lost the gane because if his inaccurate throws. Heck he was 34th last year, and he isn't much higher for his career than his stats last year.  If you take his 58.1% for his career and rank it to last year's QB's,  he would be 33rd.  

If you take his best year, he would be 23rd.  Right behind tannehill and Osweiler, and just ahead of Carr, Hasellbeck, and Hoyer.

He got the yards cause the offense was throwing a lot...because HE put us behind. 

Congrats he got all those touchdowns,  but we needed them all because HE put us behind.  

I'm not saying he is terrible,  but i don't wear rose colored glasses like many people on this forum. 

His inaccurate arm has been consistent for 4 years. 

And he doesn't own rushing TD's. I'm sure he'd be up there for INT's too.

7 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I still knock him on his high and behind throws. He does that alot and has put the Colts in a bad spot or lost the gane because if his inaccurate throws. Heck he was 34th last year, and he isn't much higher for his career than his stats last year.  If you take his 58.1% for his career and rank it to last year's QB's,  he would be 33rd.  

If you take his best year, he would be 23rd.  Right behind tannehill and Osweiler, and just ahead of Carr, Hasellbeck, and Hoyer.

He got the yards cause the offense was throwing a lot...because HE put us behind. 

Congrats he got all those touchdowns,  but we needed them all because HE put us behind.  

I'm not saying he is terrible,  but i don't wear rose colored glasses like many people on this forum. 

His inaccurate arm has been consistent for 4 years. 

And he doesn't own rushing TD's. I'm sure he'd be up there for INT's too.

That's goes with the territory when you have a gunslinger for a QB. All of those types of QBs have those type of numbers. But if you don't care for that type of QB I don't have any answers for you.

This is 2016 the past is the past with new Coachs I expect we will see a newer improved Andrew Luck what he has done up to this point was still better than what Peyton Manning did his first few years , 

The future is bright the Colts will not look like the past Colts teams the coaching will be much different & those who want to waste there time talking about the past will eat there words with upgrades everywhere coaching & players this will be a great year to enjoy COLTS FOOTBALL . 

On 7/1/2016 at 7:25 PM, southwest1 said:

90% of the time you're right Jason. Franchise QBs never leave their draft city that's true, but I've been around long enough to know that nothing is real or done until you sign your John Hancock on the dotted line & make it official. Deals fall thru all the time. Remember Elvis Dumervil? 

Nothing like the Elvis situation was ever going to happen here. I was never even the least bit concerned that they would get the deal done.  There was never even a minute part of me that thought there was any possibility that luck wasn't going to be a colt for the next half decade. Irsay was never gonna let that happen ;)

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's goes with the territory when you have a gunslinger for a QB. All of those types of QBs have those type of numbers. But if you don't care for that type of QB I don't have any answers for you.

Honestly, I think if he just can increase his accuracy by like 5-7% consistently, he'd be golden.  I just hate seeing those high and behind throws that lead to interceptions.  Especially when they are to receivers you have been playing with for years. 

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/20605/russell-wilson-has-edge-over-andrew-luck-through-first-four-seasons