Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

‘Jersey Burn’ Nominee for Colts a No-Brainer

GAColtsFan

Without Curtis Painter, we wouldn't be where we are today!

Like you, I'm not a jersey burner, but I think there are far better candidates.  Werner, Vanderjagt, Richardson, Tony Ugoh.  I'd burn those jerseys before Painter.  Painter at least had a good attitude

1 hour ago, FL Colts Fan said:

This week, the website 12up.com released a list of jerseys that fans of all 32 NFL franchises wish they could burn, and the nominee for the Indianapolis Colts Curtis Painter was an absolute no-brainer. While I am not a jersey-burner myself, this is a good one, but 2 others I can come up with are Mike Vanderjagt & of course Trent Richardson.  

I think Painter was just put in a terrible situation (and I think people should realize how darn good Peyton Manning was -- the team around Painter was not a very good one, and I don't think our head coach was a good one at the time -- though many think we could have won 12+ games if Manning was healthy).

For me, these are some names that come to mind before Painter -- I wouldn't burn a jersey, but these are players I like less than Painter:

LaRon Landry

Mike Vanderjagt

John Boyett

Hank Baskett

Josh Cribbs

Trent Richardson

Samson Satele

are all names which come off the top of my head.

Curtis Painter's number was #7 if I remember, so it should be banned because that is the number John Elway wore, and although it was just before the time when Indy was still in Baltimore, can you imagine the difference in paths if Elway signed. I wonder if that would have changed history at all?

28 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'd burn Hank Baskett's jersey in a hot second.

I second that... I would say that I'm not a jersey burner, but I burned a Frank Thomas jersey after he very rudely snubbed me after a Sox game when I was a kid... He cursed at me and I was upset so my mom let me put his jersey on the grill... I suppose everyone has a bad day, but the Big Hurt has been dead to me ever since. 

I did get Ozzie, Joey Cora, and the Deacon to sign my glove, though. I probably overreacted. 

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Without Curtis Painter, we wouldn't be where we are today!

Like you, I'm not a jersey burner, but I think there are far better candidates.  Werner, Vanderjagt, Richardson, Tony Ugoh.  I'd burn those jerseys before Painter.  Painter at least had a good attitude

Not a jersey burner either but I agree with your first 3. Painter stunk but I didn't dislike him. He wasn't expected to be good anyway.

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

I'm also not a jersey burner but a few come to mind:

1.Tom Zbikowski

2.Laron Landry

3.Mike Mcglynn

4.Samson Satele

5.DHB

6.Trent Richardson

7.Greg Toler

8.Seth Olsen

In no particular order

Why Tom Zbikowski?

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Because he pretty well quit on the team and was awful

Yeah he let himself go in the end, although he was a full-blown alcoholic by that point.

Fortunately, he is now in recovery.  After he retired from the NFL, he became a Chicago firefighter.  Recently, he resumed his career as a professional boxer (still undefeated).

Interesting dude. 

Without Painter, the Colts don't transition from Manning to Luck. Painter should be celebrated and paraded! Guys that did nothing for the team when their number was called would be on my burn list, so the Hank Baskett & Trent Richardson choices ring the most true to me. Blow torch them! 

16 hours ago, Gavin said:

I'm also not a jersey burner but a few come to mind:

1.Tom Zbikowski

2.Laron Landry

3.Mike Mcglynn

4.Samson Satele

5.DHB

6.Trent Richardson

7.Greg Toler

8.Seth Olsen

In no particular order

I disagree with a lot of your list.  Satele, McGlynn, DHB, Toler, and Olsen may not have been good, but at least they had good attitudes.  Richardson was a straight up bum.  Vanderjagt ran his mouth.  I don't recall hearing Satele run his mouth or McGlynn trash the team.  In fact, DHB was demoted to special teams duties and he didn't complain one bit, and he actually did pretty well on special teams.  If a guy doesn't have talent, that's one thing.  But if a guy has a bad attitude, that's what would make me want to burn his jersey.  Toler was bad, sure.  But he didn't complain that the team was putting him in a bad situation or anything.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not a jersey burner either but I agree with your first 3. Painter stunk but I didn't dislike him. He wasn't expected to be good anyway.

Painter's situation is actually really interesting.  Had he come out the year before he did, some were saying he could have been a first round pick.  That isn't to say anything was expected of him when we did draft him, but I recall some people making (frankly, ridiculous) Tom Brady comparisons.

I saw Toler listed on here...that guy's jersey has been burnt so many times its nothing but ashes now....hey yo!

Hypothetically, I'd "burn" Nick Harper's jersey. All he had to do was run outside and he was gone for a TD. Instead he cut back like a * and Big Ben got him...I maintain to this day (and to my grave), had the Colts somehow won that game they wake up and go on to win the SB. No Pats, home field advantage, and a beatable Seahawks team....with the best roster of the Manning era.

Y'know, I don't want to be in the position of defending Painter (because he had disastrous moments), but the Colts badly mismanaged the QB position that year.  Rather than going with the man they had groomed as the backup, they instantaneously gave him a vote of non-confidence by making a terrible bet on washed-up Collins.  When Painter finally got in there, he showed the nerves and yips that he should have gotten out of his system much earlier in the year.  He had a couple nice games after mid-season, but eventually he seemed to give up like the entire rest of the team did.  His career proved that he shouldn't have been a primary backup QB, but at least he gave it an honest shot.  I have a much bigger problem with those who just took a lot of Colt $ without giving an effort (Richardson, Landry, etc.)

1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

Nick harper and marlin jackson made up one if te best cb tandems weve had. Dont get the hate for harper

He got caught from behind by Ben Roethlisberger in the 2005 divisional game. Not his fault, if his wife had a jersey it would be burn-worthy.

On 6/26/2016 at 1:26 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I disagree with a lot of your list.  Satele, McGlynn, DHB, Toler, and Olsen may not have been good, but at least they had good attitudes.  Richardson was a straight up bum.  Vanderjagt ran his mouth.  I don't recall hearing Satele run his mouth or McGlynn trash the team.  In fact, DHB was demoted to special teams duties and he didn't complain one bit, and he actually did pretty well on special teams.  If a guy doesn't have talent, that's one thing.  But if a guy has a bad attitude, that's what would make me want to burn his jersey.  Toler was bad, sure.  But he didn't complain that the team was putting him in a bad situation or anything.

Painter's situation is actually really interesting.  Had he come out the year before he did, some were saying he could have been a first round pick.  That isn't to say anything was expected of him when we did draft him, but I recall some people making (frankly, ridiculous) Tom Brady comparisons.

This, if you are going to burn a jersey then at least do it for someone who caused problems in the locker room or trashed the team or blamed other people for their bad play.  

If a dude just flat out wasn't a good player but was loyal, didn't trash the team or his teammates and didn't cause any problems in the locker room then blame the GM for signing/trading/drafting him, it's the GM's job to find good players, don't blame the player for taking the job that was offered to him that he did to the best of his ability even if it wasn't good enough.  

5 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

Nick harper and marlin jackson made up one if te best cb tandems weve had. Dont get the hate for harper

Had he decided to not run into Big Ben and just ran a hair to the left (right? I don't remember) he would've scored a TD and Vanderjagt wouldn't have had an opportunity to miss the field goal. He also got stabbed in the leg the night before, but he still could've not ran into Ben.