Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joey bosa

CR91

25 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

As far as players 4th round and lower.  Those guys are playing on the long shot hope of being able to make it big.  A lot of them won't even make it out of their first training camp on a roster.  Those that do will play on special teams until they get injured or until they put in 4 years on special teams and NFL teams won't sign them after that because they have a bigger minimum salary then younger guys.  They are literally figuratively meat for the grinder.  But they will play on the 1 in 5,000 chance that they could become a good player in the league.

You're welcome

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not "literally".

Actually the 4th round draft picks have been getting signing bonuses of half a million dollars.   4 year 3 million $$ contracts.   Not too shabby.    Even 7th rounders are getting $2.5 million dollar salarys with almost $100 thousand signing bonuses.  

Hmm just looked.  Didn't know they where getting signing bonuses that big.  

However I would say that UDFA's are meat for the grinder.

28 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hmm just looked.  Didn't know they where getting signing bonuses that big.  

However I would say that UDFA's are meat for the grinder.

There is an enormous difference between a 4th rounder and an UDFA

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

The NFL isn't going down and will find a way to keep the dollars rolling.  

Listen the NFL is getting some of the worst press ever.  Between players committing crimes, the concussion thing, and the dictatorial powers of the commissioner the NFL is getting some really bad press.

Yet the revenue every year just keeps going up and up and up.  We know that because the Salary cap is directly tied to revenue.  And the salary cap has yet to drop.  

If you have the money to purchase an NFL team in the first place it's an almost risk free investment with big payoffs.  The last time an NFL team went defunct was 1952.  

Yes there is some risk on individual players but if you look at it as a wider investment, that you are just going to pay the salaries that your GM sets you up to pay and then reap in the profits from every revenue stream you have as an owner, it's a nearly risk free investment.  

Not only do the profits keep rolling in.

As far as players 4th round and lower.  Those guys are playing on the long shot hope of being able to make it big.  A lot of them won't even make it out of their first training camp on a roster.  Those that do will play on special teams until they get injured or until they put in 4 years on special teams and NFL teams won't sign them after that because they have a bigger minimum salary then younger guys.  They are literally meat for the grinder.  But they will play on the 1 in 5,000 chance that they could become a good player in the league.

That's their decision to be meat for that grinder, I'm not discounting that.  But they are meat for the grinder.  That's how they are treated.  

A few things.

1.  The salary cap is not tied to revenue, the salary cap is tied to TV revenue and it keeps going up because they are on a current TV contract that guaranteed a certain increase each year.

2.  Your comment illustrates my point... the NFL/Teams will find a way to keep the money rolling in.  The players aren't doing that, the NFL and team owners are doing that.  And that is a risk.

3.  You also illustrate my point because you are looking just barely beyond the nose on your face.  What will the salary cap be in 5 years, 10 years?  How will the TV contract be in 5 years, 10 years?.  You and I don't know but that is what the NFL and team owners have to study, plan for and worry about TODAY.

4.  You act like because things are good right now they will always be... again that is just short sighted and really has no basis in reality.

5.  There is no such think as a risk free investment.

Lastly on your 4th round player bull, they are not treated like that at all, they are paid a pretty good salary for the time they are on the team.  There is no reason for the team or NFL to guarantee anything to them and the fact that they don't does not make them "meat for the grinder."

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

A few things.

1.  The salary cap is not tied to revenue, the salary cap is tied to TV revenue and it keeps going up because they are on a current TV contract that guaranteed a certain increase each year.

2.  Your comment illustrates my point... the NFL/Teams will find a way to keep the money rolling in.  The players aren't doing that, the NFL and team owners are doing that.  And that is a risk.

3.  You also illustrate my point because you are looking just barely beyond the nose on your face.  What will the salary cap be in 5 years, 10 years?  How will the TV contract be in 5 years, 10 years?.  You and I don't know but that is what the NFL and team owners have to study, plan for and worry about TODAY.

4.  You act like because things are good right now they will always be... again that is just short sighted and really has no basis in reality.

5.  There is no such think as a risk free investment.

Lastly on your 4th round player bull, they are not treated like that at all, they are paid a pretty good salary for the time they are on the team.  There is no reason for the team or NFL to guarantee anything to them and the fact that they don't does not make them "meat for the grinder."

To be fair, he did admit to not knowing that 4th round on up got such big signing bonuses. 

4th rounders do get paid pretty well.   Imagine, if they make the team for only one year, they leave having made 1.25 million dollars.   Not bad for a year.   Actually not bad for a year from a player not good enough to make it 2 years on a teams roster.  

Related:

I hate to see players salaries go up.   It just ends up costing me more.   We the fans end up paying for it.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

To be fair, he did admit to not knowing that 4th round on up got such big signing bonuses. 

4th rounders do get paid pretty well.   Imagine, if they make the team for only one year, they leave having made 1.25 million dollars.   Not bad for a year.   Actually not bad for a year from a player not good enough to make it 2 years on a teams roster.  

Related:

I hate to see players salaries go up.   It just ends up costing me more.   We the fans end up paying for it.  

If the players don't get paid more,  You will still be paying more.   The prices would still go up,  the owners would just put more in their pocket.  Goodell makes 40 million a year,  Far more than any player

For one, Bosa isn't the first Chargers draftee to fight this. Granted the others finally caved and signed, and Bosa may too, but as of right now I don't see it. The Chargers are completely adamant about offset language, which I believe is Bosa's biggest complaint. He knows the Chargers won't break on the offset language of the contract, as they never have, and that is why he is wanting 100% of his signing bonus by December. 

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with him sticking to what he wants, but I honestly don't believe he wants to be there either. Granted, it's a hybrid system much like the Colts', but I still don't believe he fits that type of scheme. He's purely a strong side DE in a 4-man front. Even as a Buckeye fan, I thought he was drafted much higher than he should have been. I still think he'll be a consistent, above-average player, who will probably have a good 8-10 year career, but I think he's better off out of San Diego for that to begin. 

What's even funnier is Spanos, the Chargers owner, is pissing and moaning to the city about a new stadium and threatening he's going to take the team if they don't give him what he wants. So, Bosa must be playing as karma to that whole situation. "Ain't that a bi......."!

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not according to this article.

It states that #1 pick Goff has deferral language but no offset language for his bonus and Wentz has both deferral and offset language in his contract for his signing bonus.

I believe Wentz is still getting 98% of his bonus by December. He deferred ~1MIL of it until March. Zeke is really the only one who deferred a large portion of his bonus to March which was around 6.8MIL, but I don't believe he has any offset language. I think Bosa would be fine with the 85% signing bonus he was offered had there not been any offset language.

10 hours ago, Jason_S said:

You contradicted yourself in this paragraph.  How can you say the chargers deserve to have this blow up in their face "for not compromising" and then say they upped their offer from 60% to 85%?  According to the article it sounds like the Chargers have been willing to compromise, but Bosa's reps have not. 

I meant both Bosa and the Chargers, my apologizes. Bosa started at 100% and refused to go down. Eventually the Chargers went from 60% to 85% and Bosa would only go down to 94%. They refused to sign over 9% guaranteed money upfront, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if he reentered the draft over that. All I meant.

Why did John Spanos, the President Of Football Operations in San Diego, even release this statement publicly about Bosa? 

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/08/john-spanos-joey-bosas-holdout-absolutely-asinine

Why feel the need to air your dirty laundry about negotiations that broke down or never came to mutual fruition? It's so amateur & unprofessional IMO. Just say to your fan base that Bosa rejected your new offer, doesn't wanna play here, & move on. 

Spanos looks like a darn cry baby. Grow the hades up John Jesus. If I was a free agent, I'd never wanna play for the Chargers since they put their grievances in the public eye if they are ticked off in the front office. Private player contract negotiations need to stay behind closed doors. Who cares if Bosa hasn't signed his rookie deal? He's not costing San Diego any money right now. Okay, your pick was a wash big deal. It happens all the time. Just cut your loses & turn the page John. 

What's asinine John is your childish, unprofessional behavior in this case John. 

Next time we "normal employees" get hired or go in for a raise we should hold out.

then we'll be looking for a new job. "Normal" workplaces don't operate that way. Heck, I'm self-employed , and I wouldn't put up with it from myself.

these kids don't know how good they have it.

prima donas if you ask me. Bosa hasn't played a snap in the NFL.

IT's somewhat embarrassing on a societal level what these guys are paid and their perceived value.

i, personally, would do what the Chargers did.

instead of holding out, Bosa should sue the NFLPA since they agreed to the "rules."

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Next time we "normal employees" get hired or go in for a raise we should hold out.

then we'll be looking for a new job. "Normal" workplaces don't operate that way. Heck, I'm self-employed , and I wouldn't put up with it from myself.

IT's somewhat embarrassing on a societal level what these guys are paid and their perceived value.

instead of holding out, Bosa should sue the NFLPA since they agreed to the "rules."

When you are at the table, negotiating millions of dollars, you would be a fool to not look at how other draftees contract situations have been handled and not go for the best deal. The Chargers are being * about the whole thing and Bosa is playing their game against them. Bosa has nothing to lose. His family is already well off and it's not like this is going to stop him from playing in the future. Either pay the guy, or remove the offset language, or watch your #3 pick become nothing more than a card with a name on it. It's clear why Eli jumped ship immediately, and honestly I wouldn't play for them either. It's a sh^^^y, cheap-a^^ organization anyways. Again, its funny that Spanos is raising hell about a new stadium and threatening to leave if he doesn't get what he wants, but you don't hear about any of that. Good for Bosa for not budging on what wants compared to what the previous #3's have received.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

When you are at the table, negotiating millions of dollars, you would be a fool to not look at how other draftees contract situations have been handled and not go for the best deal. The Chargers are being * about the whole thing and Bosa is playing their game against them. Bosa has nothing to lose. His family is already well off and it's not like this is going to stop him from playing in the future. Either pay the guy, or remove the offset language, or watch your #3 pick become nothing more than a card with a name on it. It's clear why Eli jumped ship immediately, and honestly I wouldn't play for them either. It's a sh^^^y, cheap-a^^ organization anyways. Again, its funny that Spanos is raising hell about a new stadium and threatening to leave if he doesn't get what he wants, but you don't hear about any of that. Good for Bosa for not budging on what wants compared to what the previous #3's have received.

It's a joke all the way around.

but ONE player is NOT bigger than the organization.

not even manning or Brady.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Why did John Spanos, the President Of Football Operations in San Diego, even release this statement publicly about Bosa? 

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/08/john-spanos-joey-bosas-holdout-absolutely-asinine

Why feel the need to air your dirty laundry about negotiations that broke down or never came to mutual fruition? It's so amateur & unprofessional IMO. Just say to your fan base that Bosa rejected your new offer, doesn't wanna play here, & move on. 

Spanos looks like a darn cry baby. Grow the hades up John Jesus. If I was a free agent, I'd never wanna play for the Chargers since they put their grievances in the public eye if they are ticked off in the front office. Private player contract negotiations need to stay behind closed doors. Who cares if Bosa hasn't signed his rookie deal? He's not costing San Diego any money right now. Okay, your pick was a wash big deal. It happens all the time. Just cut your loses & turn the page John. 

What's asinine John is your childish, unprofessional behavior in this case John. 

I agree with everything but this. It's a HUGE deal that they haven't signed the 3rd overall pick in the draft, and while he hasn't cost them money (they would actually save money by not signing him), he could cost the organization a lot of fans, public embarrassment, and most importantly, a chance at a new stadium when they vote on it this year. You shouldn't be cutting your losses on him, you drafted him 3rd overall, 3RD OVERALL! lol. This is a huge blunder that doesn't happen all the time, it hasn't happened since the new CBA has been implemented. The compromise isn't far apart, they should of given him what he wanted. If he busts, he busts, but it's much worse to lose the 3rd overall pick for nothing when you can't even trade him.

48 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with everything but this. It's a HUGE deal that they haven't signed the 3rd overall pick in the draft, and while he hasn't cost them money (they would actually save money by not signing him), he could cost the organization a lot of fans, public embarrassment, and most importantly, a chance at a new stadium when they vote on it this year. You shouldn't be cutting your losses on him, you drafted him 3rd overall, 3RD OVERALL! lol. This is a huge blunder that doesn't happen all the time, it hasn't happened since the new CBA has been implemented. The compromise isn't far apart, they should of given him what he wanted. If he busts, he busts, but it's much worse to lose the 3rd overall pick for nothing when you can't even trade him.

Fickle Charger fans might bolt [no pun intended there.] However, diehard San Diego fans aren't going anywhere. Losing Bosa isn't gonna jeopardize their shot at a new stadium either since even if Joey had showed up at the beginning of training camp & balled out; His presence alone wasn't gonna generate droves of revenue from the CA legislature courtesy of tax payer funds that residents approved of. Financing is usually generated by ownership, city council members, zoning committees; vendor appeal; & taxpayers who are convinced by elected officials in Congress that this new stadium structure will pull in money from hosting other events adding lucrative annual revenue directly into your state. 

Yes, winning football teams make it easier to get land & financing faster for a new NFL home than a losing franchise sure, but the league understands all 32 teams need to thrive fiscally in order to make the shield more profitable both in the US & abroad. 

Even with salary guidelines in place now based on the CBA & when a player was drafted, losing out on Bosa won't be that demoralizing to me because all scouting departments do rigorous workups, interviews, & 1 on 1 sessions with players they are interested in before & after the Combine so it's not they were blindly throwing darts at a board here. I don't feel sorry for San Diego at all. They pulled the trigger on Bosa, retracted their offer, & now get to eat their homework research failure. Life goes on. 

So how does the NFLPA union view Bosa?  They sign a bargained contract allowing a team to do this.  IOW, they are getting another benefit somewhere.  A rookie player is seeking to join the union "club".  Doesn't that person who wants to be a part of the club have to suck it up and change his values to accommodate the contract the club signed with the NFL?

When union's strike, they act as one.  But now, when its to their advantage, they think its ok for each member to act like individuals?   Just admit it.  They'll sign any paper if its to their advantage to do so at the time, then reneg on the paper if they think its to their advantage at the time.

If I were a paying dues union member, I'd tell Bosa to suck it up and sign.  And that we hear your concerns, you made your point, and we will address how rookie signing bonuses are paid out at the next contract negotiations.

Tell Bosa to start acting as "one" if he wants those benefits in the future.

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm with you.  

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If the players don't get paid more,  You will still be paying more.   The prices would still go up,  the owners would just put more in their pocket.  Goodell makes 40 million a year,  Far more than any player

Owners and the commish SHOULD make more than the players.  

Just like I should make more than the people who work for me.  

36 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Exactly,   That's what I just said

But you said it to support your disagreement to the Commish and owners making so much.   That is the way it works.   Employees (players) do not make as much as the boss. 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

But you said it to support your disagreement to the Commish and owners making so much.   That is the way it works.   Employees (players) do not make as much as the boss. 

Then why do the players make more than the coaches and GMs?

The players aren't employees.   They are more like contractors. They negotiate their wages 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The players aren't employees.   They are more like contractors. They negotiate their wages 

Good point.

I think it is a combination.   They are employees, only union employees. 

I would feel different about some of these situations if I didn't feel the players were being compensated fairly for the work they do.  $1.25 million for 1 year from a 4th round pick rookie is fair pay.  

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Glancing OT here, but the NFL has to have a structure of some sort.  You can argue that what the owners do is less important than the players in bringing NFL entertainment to the people (if you replace an owner with another, who cares?) but its simply the way private business works in our economic system.  

It comes down to no matter if you had NFL owners, or a committee of players making the rules of the game and strategic decisions, the people making those decisions is why the game exist and runs smoothly year after year in the first place.  The people in those positions will be well compensated because the league wouldn't exist either if it weren't for rule makers.

I think people make this too personal.  Yes Goodell makes a bunch of money.  So would any other person who was put in the same position. 

Would you consistently follow orders from someone who makes less money than you?

Edit: Coaches are contractors/employees too.

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Why feel the need to air your dirty laundry about negotiations that broke down or never came to mutual fruition? It's so amateur & unprofessional IMO. Just say to your fan base that Bosa rejected your new offer, doesn't (but not in San Diego)wanna play here, & move on. 

I have a suspicion why he did this. (not necessarily condoning it though)

1.  Bosa was winning in the court of Public Opinion in the nation except in San Diego

2. For the first time, a rookie contract of total guaranteed dollars will be restructured down (lower) then the CBA calls for, because the Chargers feel Bosa can no longer fulfill playing a full 16 game season due to time lost in preparation.

So as ugly as it has been, it will get worse because Bosa loses money from here on out.  And the more he misses games, the more his contract will be reduced.  I feel it is almost certain Bosa will sit out all year, unless a miraculous compromise is agreed upon soon.  If Bosa sits out, the Chargers will not release their rights to him.  Thus Bosa can;'t even talk to other teams, let alone work out for them, until next years draft begins.  Bosa will then be lucky to get someone to take him in round 4 next year after sitting out the year and not being able to showcase his skill set for other teams before the draft.

This is getting quite bad, and it seems neither side can save face now. and when this all transpires, the Charges want to publicly cement their precedent, and yet show they compromised and moved closer to the middle in negotiations and their player/agent didn't.  And future picks can likely expect the same treatment.

EDIT: From Bosa's side, it appears they will take the high road and minimize their specifics being in the media- enhancing their  'victim' stance. Also hints there is more to it than the Chargers stated (of course, Chargers will only release items that support themselves).

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is getting quite bad, and it seems neither side can save face now. and when this all transpires, the Charges want to publicly cement their precedent, and yet show they compromised and moved closer to the middle in negotiations and their player/agent didn't.  And future picks can likely expect the same treatment.

I wonder if this whole scenario with Bosa will be a domino effect for the Chargers with future draft picks. Granted, I don't see the Chargers picking top-5 consistently, but if they do stumble back to the top of the order, I wonder if that/those draftee(s) is going to look back at this situation and request the same or hold out.

19 hours ago, Myles said:

Related:

If salary cap is tied to TV revenue then you arn't going to be paying more due to people's salaries, it will be because of something else.

People who watch on TV don't pay anything except for the subscription to the TV.  But advertising dollars are where the money is and networks know they charge a lot of money for advertising slots during an NFL game.  

Honestly compared to TV revenue, tickets are a drop in the bucket.  

Players are ALL  replaceable.  ALL OF THEM, even the best, let alone a rookie who hasn't played a snap,  and for many reasons.  We Colt fans moved on from Manning, SF moved on from Montana.  They are just chess pieces, if you will.  Not unlike other workforces.

"next man up" can work for more reasons than just injuries.

also, distributing this great wealth (to players) has a trickle down effect on the economy.  Sure it helps the gold, diamond, video game,  cadillac dealers, attorneys (child support) markets but much of those millions are being wasted on precious metals, cars, and "stupid stuff".

the gap of wealth between "rich and poor" is just getting bigger and bigger.

soon stadiums won't need seating for fans as we won't be able to afford going. Many can't now.

much like politics, i try to avoid the details.  I just try to enjoy the games for what they are..... Entertainment.  If you examine it too much, it loses alot of its appeal and luster. 

But to feel sorry for these guys, i just can't.

its too bad they can't be paid by production.  Let them see how "full commision" works.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I have a suspicion why he did this. (not necessarily condoning it though)

1.  Bosa was winning in the court of Public Opinion in the nation except in San Diego

2.For the first time, a rookie contract of total guaranteed dollars will be restructured down (lower) then the CBA calls for, because the Chargers feel Bosa can no longer fulfill playing a full 16 game season due to time lost in reparation.

So as ugly as it has been, it will get worse because Bosa loses money from here on out.  And the more he misses games, the more his contract will be reduced.  I feel it is almostcertain Bosa will sit out all year, unless a miraculous compromise is agreed upon soon.  If Bosa sits out, the Chargers will not release their rights to him.  Thus Bosa can;'t even talk to other teams, let alone work out for them, until next years draft begins.  Bosa will then be lucky to get someone to take him in round 4 next year after sitting out the year and not being able to showcase his skill set for other teams before the draft.

EDIT: From Bosa's side, it appears they will take the high road and minimize their specifics being in the media- enhancing their  'victim' stance. Also hints there is more to it than the Chargers stated (of course, Chargers will only release items that support themselves).

A very well written post CBFL. Nice work. Bosa's team may be winning sympathy in every other state except CA, but like you astutely mentioned my friend, the Chargers control all the purse strings & leverage in terms of ownership rights. There is no need to rake Bosa's inaction or failure to budge on his contract over the coals as a form of athletic shaming & humiliation IMO. 

You do bring up another sound point when you talk about whether the Chargers organization has the legal authority to reduce their financial offer on the new CBA rookie scale in the draft too. I'm sure the Players Association will be arguing that teams have no right to downsize even a rookie's salary that was a high draft pick in the 1st round because it would set a horrible precedent if this move went unchallenged. 

True, I'm sure Chargers management will present the situation in a way that places them in the best possible light like they couldn't possibly be cheap, petty, calculating, & ruthless themselves. LOL! 

If I was Bosa & I knew flat out at the Combine that I had no interest in playing for the Chargers just say so. I'd do the same thing if I was a draft pick destined to go high & I have contempt for the Cowboys, which I do. Now, you should not express your true feeling for every club sure, but one squad in isolation won't get you labeled as toxic across the league in my estimation. I always find it funny that Eli Manning gets a pass for demanding a trade refusing to play in San Diego, but Joey Bosa is crazy for being unreasonable. LOL! 

PS I love Eli & don't really harbor any ill will for his decision that ultimately worked out well for Easy E. 

It's done.  It will not affect the team's attitude toward him.  We've been down this road a few times, which is why I stayed out of this thread and the Joey Bosa thread at the Charger's forum.  A month from now a year from now people will forget he even held out. 

He'll be ready - he's a hard worker and was impressive in camp earlier this year.  The vets couldn't stop talking about his work ethic an professionalism.

Now his mother on the other hand.... lmao

9 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

It's done.  It will not affect the team's attitude toward him.  We've been down this road a few times, which is why I stayed out of this thread and the Joey Bosa thread at the Charger's forum.  A month from now a year from now people will forget he even held out. 

He'll be ready - he's a hard worker and was impressive in camp earlier this year.  The vets couldn't stop talking about his work ethic an professionalism.

Congrats on finally signing him. I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Football less than 2 weeks away!

8 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

True, but it may take a bit more than a month. More below.

Unfortunately, no, he really will not physically.  Unless he has been working out against Jonathan Ogden or similar, he's just a workout junkie, not in football shape, or developed pass rush skills valuable in the NFL. It is unfortunate, but the few amount amount of padded practices allowed from now through the rest of the season is very limited.  He didn't square of against real NFL tackles in the NFL in scrimmages, or even Chargers practices.  Didn't get the proper exposure and feedback. Walk through's and un-padded practices has Rivers and QB crew in Red Shirts.  Bosa will have a tough time being effective early in the season.

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, but it may take a bit more than a month. More below.

Unfortunately, no, he really will not physically.  Unless he has been working out against Jonathan Ogden or similar, he's just a workout junkie, not in football shape, or developed pass rush skills valuable in the NFL. It is unfortunate, but the few amount amount of padded practices allowed from now through the rest of the season is very limited.  He didn't square of against real NFL tackles in the NFL in scrimmages, or even Chargers practices.  Didn't get the proper exposure and feedback. Walk through's and un-padded practices has Rivers and QB crew in Red Shirts.  Bosa will have a tough time being effective early in the season.

I didn't mean football ready, sorry I wasn't clear... no one can get there on their own, just that he'll be ready to get started and will be in shape.  And he is.  He's no slacker and has been working out 6 days a weeks and taking care of himself.  Totally agree on what was lost.  It would have been better for him and the team if he were here but he wasn't.  Can't get that time back, especially as you point out with the wimpy practice rules.