Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

im not sure if I want to support football anymore...

bap1331

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not even going to watch this movie. It's not like it's a secret either that football is dangerous. Big DUH. I have felt bad before too in the past and wanted to stop watching but I never stop watching so it's a waste of time to pretend I will stop watching. And it's not just with the pros, there are issues with football and injuries at all ages and levels. My dad still has some lingering body issues from just high school football back in the day. 

But, every year we have threads and posts about the moral implications of watching the NFL even though come fall the original poster will likely be watching and starting 50 new threads a week on this or that in the NFL.

Don't worry about it all, we all know it can be bad for the guys involved and cause issues but at the same time as everyday people we like entertainment and enjoyment too since it is fun more times then not unless you are a Browns fan.

And these guys in the pros also get paid enough money at times so it lessens the sympathy factor for me a bit.

The NFL can bring money, fame, girls, parties, huge stadiums of fans, tv interviews, movie deals, product endorsements, etc....I think young guys are drawn to it like moths to a flame.  You pay a price physically, but the upside is just so enticing.  They know they can't get that lifestyle and adrenaline rush sitting in a cubicle in a business environment.   

6 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

The NFL can bring money, fame, girls, parties, huge stadiums of fans, tv interviews, movie deals, product endorsements, etc....I think young guys are drawn to it like moths to a flame.  You pay a price physically, but the upside is just so enticing.  They know they can't get that lifestyle and adrenaline rush sitting in a cubicle in a business environment.   

I agree but more and more are turning to other sports. There has been a slow turning of parents guiding their kids into baseball, basketball and other sports like winter sports ect.ect. There has also been a pretty significant increase in soccer than was 10 years ago. That especially holds true with the increase of people from outside of America having kids born in this country. While things like this hasn't taking over at this point it will become more prevalent in the future. Soccer has had record numbers of interest over the last few years.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree but more and more are turning to other sports. There has been a slow turning of parents guiding their kids into baseball, basketball and other sports like winter sports ect.ect. There has also been a pretty significant increase in soccer than was 10 years ago. That especially holds true with the increase of people from outside of America having kids born in this country. While things like this hasn't taking over at this point it will become more prevalent in the future. Soccer has had record numbers of interest over the last few years.

This is true.  I have seen it as well.  There is an ebb and flow throughout time.  It's more than possible that Mark Cuban is correct and that the NFL will eventually descend from it's $$mountaintop.  

On 5/31/2016 at 11:40 PM, bap1331 said:

After watching the movie concussion, it makes it hard to support football. We've seen a rise of young players going into retirement and I think this may be the sole reason they are retiring early but not saying it.

Is cte or brain damage risk really worth your health not only for themselves but for their family? It's not something happening only in football but boxing, wrestling, and soon to be ufc (it's a relatively new sport not around long enough to see the effects)

The NFL will do anything to say it isn't a serious problem but that mostly has to do with putting money into their pockets.

What were your thoughts after watching the movie concussion? I thought it was a great movie to bring awareness and now I see why Goodell is doing everything in his power to make football a safer sport but there is so much you can do but you can't prevent repeated hits.

So many entities have their fingers in this pie, and each one has their 'agenda' and fighting in any way to be on the 'winning' side.  Here is an article that attempts to address what each are doing, and what they should be banding together to do-

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-stop-with-the-concussion-politics/

It's not a political issue... it's a medical issue and should be addressed that way; by everyone involved.

11 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

This is true.  I have seen it as well.  There is an ebb and flow throughout time.  It's more than possible that Mark Cuban is correct and that the NFL will eventually descend from it's $$mountaintop.  

Do you think the saturation of having so many games on contribute to that problem? We use to basically have Sunday and Monday night football. Now we have Sunday, Monday and Thursday along with more during the season.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you think the saturation of having so many games on contribute to that problem? We use to basically have Sunday and Monday night football. Now we have Sunday, Monday and Thursday along with more during the season.

Yes, I do.  For me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 7:06 AM, Happy2BeHere said:

I'll admit that after seeing that movie it really makes me question how I can support the nfl given their lack of cooperation and their lack of resources they put into the research to protect players or at the very least send them through a full on course with the risks involved. Sure a player you would assume knows the risks but I also acknowledge this problem starts way before they reach the NFL. 

I think it's more a problem of public concern and awareness at an age that's appropriate before they enter football. Again this isnt all on the NFL but without a doubt they have the ability to raise the awareness and fund research more  then any other organization. 

finally, somebody who gets where I was getting at. Ive been getting bashed by everyone. LOL. Its just a thought that makes me feel guilty for all the money ive put in the NFL, a non profit organization, who does everything to make money and cover up brain research when technically not a non profit.

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

finally, somebody who gets where I was getting at. Ive been getting bashed by everyone. LOL. Its just a thought that makes me feel guilty for all the money ive put in the NFL, a non profit organization, who does everything to make money and cover up brain research when technically not a non profit.

I think you are referring to an issue that has been addressed pretty clearly over the last few years. Where do you get the idea that the NFL is a none profit business?

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I'm pleasantly surprised at the points brought up in defense of the league and the game. "Concussion" is a movie. Obviously it makes you think but it's probably as accurate pertaining to football as Rambo is to the Vietnam War.

I don't quite get your reference of Rambo and pertaining to the Viet Nam war?  The treatment of a lot of vets returning from Viet Nam was pretty close as depicted in that movie. Maybe I am missing something? I watched the movie and understood exactly the mind set of it.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are referring to an issue that has been addressed pretty clearly over the last few years. Where do you get the idea that the NFL is a none profit business?

Up until recently, the NFL maintained a tax-exempt status as a non-profit organization.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Up until recently, the NFL maintained a tax-exempt status as a non-profit organization.

Just the leagues office were tax exempt. Not the NFL as a whole. The NFL league office was listed as a trade organization in 1942.  Hockey, golf and tennis are all still tax exempt and the MLB was till 2007.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just the leagues office were tax exempt. Not the NFL as a whole. The NFL league office was listed as a trade organization in 1942.  Hockey, golf and tennis are all still tax exempt and the MLB was till 2007.

Gotcha.  I was just pointing out where bap1331 might have gotten the idea they were a non-profit. :clover:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2016 at 4:59 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't quite get your reference of Rambo and pertaining to the Viet Nam war?  The treatment of a lot of vets returning from Viet Nam was pretty close as depicted in that movie. Maybe I am missing something? I watched the movie and understood exactly the mind set of it.

Wow crazycolt...this is a stretch even for you

8 minutes ago, buccolts said:

As sad as it's been to see the effect the NFL has had on Johnny Football, I've decided to continue to watch the NFL, and stop watching bad movies. 

Good movies are few and far between IMO. I get where your coming from.

59 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

And what does Rambo have to do with that? O you were the real Rambo I suppose.

I guess you didn't catch the story line of the movie. No I was no Rambo and if all you can do is make insulting comments about something you evidently know little of go somewhere else with it. I can tell you never wore those boots as a war time veteran. Do you have any more insults? That's OK because I have become immune to being insulted after all the years have passed. I could explain or I could tell you exactly how I feel but all that would do is get me banned. Veterans are the reason you have the freedom to say what you feel. If you cant respect that then there is nothing more I care to say to you.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:41 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you didn't catch the story line of the movie. No I was no Rambo and if all you can do is make insulting comments about something you evidently know little of go somewhere else with it. I can tell you never wore those boots as a war time veteran. Do you have any more insults? That's OK because I have become immune to being insulted after all the years have passed. I could explain or I could tell you exactly how I feel but all that would do is get me banned. Veterans are the reason you have the freedom to say what you feel. If you cant respect that then there is nothing more I care to say to you.

...and what does Rambo have to do with that??? You'll care to say plenty more to me as soon as you see another opportunity to dish out more of your automated, tired, talk. It's what you do. 

2 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

...and what does Rambo have to do with that? You'll care to say plenty more to me as soon as you see another opportunity to dish out more of your automated, tired, talk. It's what you do.

I guess you have a hard time understanding what a story line is and how it related to the attitude that veterans have faced in the past. That was what the plot of the movie in case you didn't comprehend that. If you think my thoughts on the matter is automated and tired I really couldn't care less.

See...you're still talking, and you sound like a teleprompter or something. Anytime somebody disagrees with you you're all "I guess you have a hard time understanding things...you do not comprehend things...I understand things better than you..."

Yes there were accuracies in Rambo but for you pretend that there are no dots to connect between what I first said about Rambo and the Vietnam war, and the Concussion movie and football, then apparently you didn't comprehend some things. 

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

See...you're still talking, and you sound like a teleprompter or something. Anytime somebody disagrees with you you're all "I guess you have a hard time understanding things...you do not comprehend things...I understand things better than you..."

Yes there were accuracies in Rambo but for you pretend that there are no dots to connect between what I first said about Rambo and the Vietnam war, and the Concussion movie and football, then apparently you didn't comprehend some things. 

Like you are not still talking?

On 5/31/2016 at 11:40 PM, bap1331 said:

After watching the movie concussion, it makes it hard to support football. We've seen a rise of young players going into retirement and I think this may be the sole reason they are retiring early but not saying it.

Is cte or brain damage risk really worth your health not only for themselves but for their family? It's not something happening only in football but boxing, wrestling, and soon to be ufc (it's a relatively new sport not around long enough to see the effects)

The NFL will do anything to say it isn't a serious problem but that mostly has to do with putting money into their pockets.

What were your thoughts after watching the movie concussion? I thought it was a great movie to bring awareness and now I see why Goodell is doing everything in his power to make football a safer sport but there is so much you can do but you can't prevent repeated hits.

Have you seen Jaws ? Did you still want to swim in the SEA ?   Or did you acknowledge the risks & swim anyways I did .  Now that people understand the situation they can weigh the risks for themselves I watched Ray Boom Boom Mancini fight & the opponent died it did'nt put an end to boxing  & neither will this movie point is well taken people suffer severely not all but many do in one form or another it is called exceptable risk & each person must decide for his self , David  Robinsons son has made that choice to give up football I can respect that choice not all will.

To protect its players the NFL will adapt but there will always be risk & big money to be made for those that inspite of the risk keep playing & I support whatever decision these players make & I will support my team , Nothing in this world is completely safe , Even if they played flag football stuff happens so I support the NFL & except the changes as the league becomes more proactive in protecting there players . 

8 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Have you seen Jaws ? Did you still want to swim in the SEA ?   Or did you acknowledge the risks & swim anyways I did . 

plenty of people wont swim in the ocean for that very reason.  i used to do it until i got stung by a jelly fish, now i wont be going back in

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

plenty of people wont swim in the ocean for that very reason.  i used to do it until i got stung by a jelly fish, now i wont be going back in

This still doesn't exactly shoot down AD's point. You knew jellyfish and sharks were in the ocean before you swam in it and went ahead and swam in it, just as football players went ahead and played football knowing they could get hurt aka acknowledge the risks. 

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

You knew jellyfish and sharks were in the ocean before you swam in it and went ahead and swam in it, just as football players went ahead and played football knowing they could get hurt aka acknowledge the risks. 

i was just a kid though.  i didnt exactly look at data and come up with an informed decision about the risks of swimming in the ocean.  .    i jumped in the water because i was 14 and thought shark attacks and the like wouldnt happen to me

i dont have any problem with the nfl and their stance on concussions btw

On 6/2/2016 at 11:00 PM, BOTT said:

yeah, don't worry about coal miners, construction workers, roughnecks, etc....worry about the professional athlete.

My thoughts exactly. These guys break their bodies down for 20-30 years for pennies and it usually ends with them a) losing their job out of the blue or b)multiple back surgeries. Something tells me the OP will still support the large corporations who practice those kind of tactics because some * in West Hollywood has yet to make a mediocre film about how bad the people in those industries are treated.

So don't.  It doesn't happen to everyone and they all know the risks, whether they want to admit it or not.  So im not going to stop watching because these people have accepted the risk. 

You wan't to help the players, watch it, give the NFL revenue to pay the players.  If everyone stops watching you ruin all of these players lives.  The players who have wanted to play and have played since they were little kids. 

Do you really want to be the one that ruins the dreams of hundreds of thousands of kids across America?  You really are selfish you know that?  Because of your own self-righteousness, you're going to deny these players their livelihood.  You should be ashamed.

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

aaron  i get that when I was 13, I went to summer camp on Catalina island it was called camp fox we arrived at the camp from San Pedro docking up to a long & large pier upon arrival we were informed that there was a swim test if you could not pass it then you must wear a  life preserver the whole week  when entering the water well I did'nt want that & I took the test which was jumping off the end of the pier & swimming to shore I did'nt give it much thought they said there were nets up to prevent sharks from coming in & at the time that sounded pretty good but I never considered jelly fish until i hit the water while under I looked around there were hundreds not that I counted but they were everywhere looking like bread sacks floating around it freaked me out & I never swam so fast in my life reaching shore very quickly to say the least . I'd seen many washed up on shore growing up near the beach & a few in the water but nothing like that day it sure freaked me out but I never got stung by anything until I got to Indiana first it was wasps then a bee got into my drink my lower lip was swelled up big time . So of course I learned to avoid those situations I feel very lucky not to have been stung by a jelly fish . I remember going out into deep water in a canoe paddeling along  & watching a shark take out a seal it scared me to death & I still feel very uncomfortable in deep water even if its a lake ,  We live & learn ..

16 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i was just a kid though.  i didnt exactly look at data and come up with an informed decision about the risks of swimming in the ocean.  .    i jumped in the water because i was 14 and thought shark attacks and the like wouldnt happen to me

i dont have any problem with the nfl and their stance on concussions btw

You were 14 you knew what you doing.