Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign WR James Jones - It makes too much sense.

Beyond TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief, the Colts have very little experience at the WR position. Dorsett has a lot of upside, but only played about half the year last year due to the broken leg. Bray was pretty much exclusively used as a returner. The draft is over, and the FA market is pretty much bare - Except for one guy. James Jones.

Yeah, he's 32 years old. But he brings a ton of experience, and he's familiar with coach Joe Philbin. He probably wouldn't be able to demand any more than roughly $6 million over a 2 year deal, which is something we can certainly afford to shore up our passing offense. He's a guy that is willing and able to block, and at 6'1" he would be one of our biggest bodied receivers when we need a "possession" catch on 3rd and 4 or a guy to high point the ball in the red-zone.

Look at the production Jones has put up over the last 4 years, and tell me why this guy is still on the FA market.

Games Starts Catches Yards Avg Long TD       FUM Lost
2015 Green Bay Packers 16 15 50 890 17.8 65T 8 -- -- --     1 0

2014 Oakland Raiders 16 10 73 666 9.1 42 6 -- -- --     3 1

2013 Green Bay Packers 14 14 59 817 13.8 83T 3 -- --       2 1

2012 Green Bay Packers 16 16 64 784 12.3 49 14

He lead the Packers with nearly 900 yards and 8 TDs last year. Add him to the Colts, and he can come right in and compete with Moncrief and Dorsett for snaps. He can give different looks, and give us a legitimate 4-Wide set. He can step in at the Slot, and allow the Colts to possibly move Dorsett to RB on 3rd downs. The coaches have spoken about possibly using Dorsett more out of the backfield, in kind of a HB Screen role or catching passes in the flats because we have no one else in our RB group that really excels as a pass catcher. Adding James Jones allows Dorsett to focus more on that role, without leaving us vulnerable and down a starting WR in the passing game. I don't and wouldn't expect Jones to put up 800-900 yards in our offense...we have some talented guys we are trying to develop, but James Jones can surely contribute to our offense and provide a "coach on the field" to our younger players.

Should the Colts be signing James Jones today? Tomorrow? Or does it simply make too much sense?

Another guy to consider if they want to bring in a WR would be Anquan SO STRONG Boldin.  He managed to put up almost 70 receptions and 800 yards in a 49ers pass offense that was absolute garbage.  With that said, he's probably looking for a bigger role than what we could offer him in Indy.

id only entertain this idea if it was a mentor role. I dont wanna see dorsett losing snaps to a guy who will be here one maybe two years. I honestly would like to see what we got in our young wrs past hilton moncrief and dorsett. I really like danny anthrop. he his eldeman-like skills. sneaky quick and very good strong hands

Maybe we just see how training camp and preseason works out first. Maybe one of the young guys breaks out, you never know. If you bring a veteran in now, you're pretty much telling the young guys they aren't making the team. If no one stands out then sure, look at a Jones, a Greg Jennings or a Hartline type player

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Another guy to consider if they want to bring in a WR would be Anquan SO STRONG Boldin.  He managed to put up almost 70 receptions and 800 yards in a 49ers pass offense that was absolute garbage.  With that said, he's probably looking for a bigger role than what we could offer him in Indy.

This.

I'd take Boldin in a heart beat. 

Jones is slow and struggles to get seperation. That's why he didn't have a team last September when the Pack signed him off the street. He seems like a good guy but I don't think we need him here.

We will only keep 5 or 6 WR's. We know barring injury Hilton Moncrief and Dorsett are on the 53 man. I think we can pencil Bray in because of his KR duties. He may slide to 5th on the WR depth chart but I think he finds his way on the roster. That would leave us with 1 maybe 2 roster spots.

We have guys that can fill those spots in camp. Brian Tyms is the guy I think has a real shot 6'3 205lbs. This will be his 4th year in the league. He had a huge 2014 preason looked like a break out player. I stashed him on my fantasy league roster. Then he was hit with a 4 game suspension to start the season he didn't see a lot of chances on offense after that but was a good gunner on ST's. One of reasons I think he has an inside track. He missed all last season with an injury. 

We have a lot of talent that we brought in as UDFA's. I really like Tevaun Smith from Iowa. After his pro day I was surprised he went udrafted. 6'1 208lbs catches anything close. He ran the 40 in 4.38. He had a 38-inch vertical and 10-foot-2 broad jump.short shuttle in

4.26 seconds and the three-cone in 6.72 seconds

We also have McKay 6'5 kid from Cinn.  A sleeper i will be watching is Leak from Maryland, Rodgers Gramblimg is intersting. Then we signed Stangby back in Jan. If we decide we need WR help It should not be hard to find. We could have signed Hartline or Jones this week. I'd take Hartline of the two.

The TE panic I really don't get I think we keep 3. The 2 TE sets are gone. We have a proven starter and back up in Allen and Doyle. The camp battle for the 3rd spot between Swoope, Griswold, and Miller should be one of the best battles in camp this year. I predict Griswold takes it. We look good at TE from here. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Jones is slow and struggles to get seperation. That's why he didn't have a team last September when the Pack signed him off the street. He seems like a good guy but I don't think we need him here.

We will only keep 5 or 6 WR's. We know barring injury Hilton Moncrief and Dorsett are on the 53 man. I think we can pencil Bray in because of his KR duties. He may slide to 5th on the WR depth chart but I think he finds his way on the roster. That would leave us with 1 maybe 2 roster spots.

We have guys that can fill those spots in camp. Brian Tyms is the guy I think has a real shot 6'3 205lbs. This will be his 4th year in the league. He had a huge 2014 preason looked like a break out player. I stashed him on my fantasy league roster. Then he was hit with a 4 game suspension to start the season he didn't see a lot of chances on offense after that but was a good gunner on ST's. One of reasons I think he has an inside track. He missed all last season with an injury. 

We have a lot of talent that we brought in as UDFA's. I really like Tevaun Smith from Iowa. After his pro day I was surprised he went udrafted. 6'1 208lbs catches anything close. He ran the 40 in 4.38. He had a 38-inch vertical and 10-foot-2 broad jump.short shuttle in

4.26 seconds and the three-cone in 6.72 seconds

We also have McKay 6'5 kid from Cinn.  A sleeper i will be watching is Leak from Maryland, Rodgers Gramblimg is intersting. Then we signed Stangby back in Jan. If we decide we need WR help It should not be hard to find. We could have signed Hartline or Jones this week. I'd take Hartline of the two.

The TE panic I really don't get I think we keep 3. The 2 TE sets are gone. We have a proven starter and back up in Allen and Doyle. The camp battle for the 3rd spot between Swoope, Griswold, and Miller should be one of the best battles in camp this year. I predict Griswold takes it. We look good at TE from here. 

I agree.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if we stay with the WR group we have.  I think Tyms makes a pretty decent 4th receiver and I love the size.  I like what Danny Anthrop possibly brings to the table as a possession receiver, and I'm intrigued a bit more now that I know he clocked as low as 4.37 forty time. And of course there is Quan Bray or Boyce who can come in the mix.   I like T. Smith as well and of course I love the competition and potential depth we have going on at the Tight end position between Swoope, Miller, and Griswold. 

If you ask me I don't think things are as bleak at those back up positions as people say.  It's more guys that people don't know much about, but that does not mean they can't play.  Same kind of thing is going on at the back up defensive back positions.  Guys who have good measurable and can play, but people don't know much about them.  I think once training camp and preseason begins people will learn it's not as bad as it looks.

It's the lack of experience in the backups that bothers me, and I Suspect others as well. Having someone reliable at #4 who you know can produce is a good idea. And some insurance if Dorsett falters. He's still an unknown quantity. I like the idea of grabbing Hartline. I wanted the Colts to do that before he signed with the Browns. He played well for the Dolphins. 

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

I agree.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if we stay with the WR group we have.  I think Tyms makes a pretty decent 4th receiver and I love the size.  I like what Danny Anthrop possibly brings to the table as a possession receiver, and I'm intrigued a bit more now that I know he clocked as low as 4.37 forty time. And of course there is Quan Bray or Boyce who can come in the mix.   I like T. Smith as well and of course I love the competition and potential depth we have going on at the Tight end position between Swoope, Miller, and Griswold. 

If you ask me I don't think things are as bleak at those back up positions as people say.  It's more guys that people don't know much about, but that does not mean they can't play.  Same kind of thing is going on at the back up defensive back positions.  Guys who have good measurable and can play, but people don't know much about them.  I think once training camp and preseason begins people will learn it's not as bad as it looks.

I'm not so confident on the back end. I think things could work out. S isn't as big of a concern I like Southward and Greens measurables for sure. Guy wasn't horrible If Adams goes down that's potential for a problem. We have shown we can find help at S if need be. 

CB I'm more concerned. It's my biggest concern on the team. We only have Davis who we know can play the boundary. 

We brought Robinson in to play the otherside we know he has been inconsistent at best out there. He excels in the slot. Brown looked great in the preseason but couldn't carry it to Sunday then was on the IR by week 4. Could another offseason with Pagano get him straight? Maybe. It possible and I'm hopeful Smith grows up quickly. Butler we know sucks on the outside but he was worse in the slot last year. He may be cut. 

I like the young guys. Mitchel could help. I like what I know about Glover-Wright and Milton. I want to see White too.  Milton is my dark horse. 

I would feel better if we took a CB in the draft. We passed on some guys that could have helped on the outside Russell then Fuller in the 3rd was a steal. I would have been good with Sims or Hall both small school guys in the 4th. We could have rolled the dice on Robinson from LSU. I really liked Sims there. Morrison I really don't like that pick. I don't see what they think they see. The fact that they think they outsmarted everyone is more troubling. 

The back end and specifically the CB position is very costly to fix in FA. I think that position will determine how dangerous we are this year. You are only as good as your weakest link to me the back end, boundary CB is our weakest link. 

40 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm not so confident on the back end. I think things could work out. S isn't as big of a concern I like Southward and Greens measurables for sure. Guy wasn't horrible If Adams goes down that's potential for a problem. We have shown we can find help at S if need be. 

CB I'm more concerned. It's my biggest concern on the team. We only have Davis who we know can play the boundary. 

We brought Robinson in to play the otherside we know he has been inconsistent at best out there. He excels in the slot. Brown looked great in the preseason but couldn't carry it to Sunday then was on the IR by week 4. Could another offseason with Pagano get him straight? Maybe. It possible and I'm hopeful Smith grows up quickly. Butler we know sucks on the outside but he was worse in the slot last year. He may be cut. 

I like the young guys. Mitchel could help. I like what I know about Glover-Wright and Milton. I want to see White too.  Milton is my dark horse. 

I would feel better if we took a CB in the draft. We passed on some guys that could have helped on the outside Russell then Fuller in the 3rd was a steal. I would have been good with Sims or Hall both small school guys in the 4th. We could have rolled the dice on Robinson from LSU. I really liked Sims there. Morrison I really don't like that pick. I don't see what they think they see. The fact that they think they outsmarted everyone is more troubling. 

The back end and specifically the CB position is very costly to fix in FA. I think that position will determine how dangerous we are this year. You are only as good as your weakest link to me the back end, boundary CB is our weakest link. 

I think Robinson will be better than Toler at a minimum.  Anything else is extra gravy.  I like what we have with Mitchel and Djoun Smith for the nickel spots. I don't have much doubt that Smith can play the Nickel at a minimum.  Mitchel I think has enough length to play inside or outside. Plus Butler is still there for now.   I like some of the other guys like Davies, Winston Rose, Glover Wright.  I think there some young guys who will pan out out of that bunch.

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

Pagano praises early work of UDFA WRs Chester Rogers and Tevaun Smith among others. #Colts

— George Bremer (@gmbremer) May 31, 2016

Pagano says Patrick Robinson is well-rounded CB who #Colts believe can be good cover guy. Has experience with DB coach Greg Williams.

Pagano on new CB Patrick Robinson: "Seems like he's been here a few years ... grounded guy and a good pro." Pagano recruited Robinson hard.

— Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) May 31, 2016

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pagano praises early work of UDFA WRs Chester Rogers and Tevaun Smith among others. #Colts

Rogers is one of the guys I was interested in. According to our roster he's 6'1" but what I've read from Gramblimg they have him at 5'11 then Dimonds in the Rough have him at 6'0. Who knows..for sure. I know that extra inch is important to some. 

They all agree he has soft hands good speed 4.4 40 He is very quick, oelusive and dangerous in open space. I love Smith think his floor is the PS. I think we have plenty of talent at WR. We will have to cut players that end up on PS's elsewhere

On last thought at CB I'm with you on Rose and Mitchel. Really like Rose. My dark horse there is Milton. He's a ST's dog blocked 7 kicks at G Tech. Smith being a baller would really set my mind at ease. I'm not sold on Roninson on the outside 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Rogers is one of the guys I was interested in. According to our roster he's 6'1" but what I've read from Gramblimg they have him at 5'11 then Dimonds in the Rough have him at 6'0. Who knows..for sure. I know that extra inch is important to some. 

They all agree he has soft hands good speed 4.4 40 He is very quick, oelusive and dangerous in open space. I love Smith think his floor is the PS. I think we have plenty of talent at WR. We will have to cut players that end up on PS's elsewhere

On last thought at CB I'm with you on Rose and Mitchel. Really like Rose. My dark horse there is Milton. He's a ST's dog blocked 7 kicks at G Tech. Smith being a baller would really set my mind at ease. I'm not sold on Roninson on the outside 

I think we will come out deeper depth wise then people expect. I'm confident Smith and Mitchel will be good players. Especially at the nickel and dime corners. And like I said Mitchel is taller than Vontae and Robinson so he's got the speed and length to play outside. Rose is another guy with some length, speed and they played a number of division 1 receivers at New Mexico state. Glover Wright has length and speed too but I've never seen him play so I'm not totally sure. We had enough confidence to put him on the 53 man roster a couple games so I think there is something they see. He was never cut from the PS at any time I can remember.

34 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I am happy with our relievers.  I think we have 2 1000+ yard revievers. We should get plenty of production out of Dorset the too.

maybe we should just stick to abbreviating it as WRs :P

lol

On May 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM, krunk said:

I think we will come out deeper depth wise then people expect. I'm confident Smith and Mitchel will be good players. Especially at the nickel and dime corners. And like I said Mitchel is taller than Vontae and Robinson so he's got the speed and length to play outside. Rose is another guy with some length, speed and they played a number of division 1 receivers at New Mexico state. Glover Wright has length and speed too but I've never seen him play so I'm not totally sure. We had enough confidence to put him on the 53 man roster a couple games so I think there is something they see. He was never cut from the PS at any time I can remember.

After great thought I think we go Davis Robinson Smith Brown Mitchel and Glover-Wright at CB. I could see Rose steal a spot. 

I don't get the fuss at WR after Hilton Moncrief and Dorsett I think Tyms has the inside track and Bray makes 5. If we go 6 I like Smith maybe Boyce or Anthrop. There's something about Leak and Rogers too. We have plenty of talent. TE too the 3 way battle for the 3rd spot should be one of the best in camp

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

After great thought I think we go Davis Robinson Smith Brown Mitchel and Glover-Wright at CB. I could see Rose steal a spot. 

I don't get the fuss at WR after Hilton Moncrief and Dorsett I think Tyms has the inside track and Bray makes 5. If we go 6 I like Smith maybe Boyce or Anthrop. There's something about Leak and Rogers too. We have plenty of talent. TE too the 3 way battle for the 3rd spot should be one of the best in camp

I like this overall, although I'm not that high on Brown. I think one of the young guys will send him packing. I need to see more live game play from Mitchel and Smith. Until something moves me in the other direction I have a good gut feeling Mitchel may be more suited for that nickel role. From the little bit I've been able to watch he seems to have some of that same type of awareness that we saw when Butler first got on the team in terms of reading route patterns and knowing who the ball is going to. He seems to play like Vontae when it comes to tackling. I think some of the durability issues can be cooled off with some time in the weight room and all the other off season prep.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like this overall, although I'm not that high on Brown. I think one of the young guys will send him packing.

He was a camp and preseason star last year. Then it didn't carry to Sunday. Maybe injury played a part?  He was on the IR by week 4. Another off season with Chuck. He might bring it Sunday. 

I think right now he's our best back up outside. He doesn't have the ceiling of the young guys. I am not a huge fan either. If Rose beats him out and Butler is gone only Davis and Robinson have any real game time. That would be really young. I think we get Brown for one more year. 

On May 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM, CR91 said:

id only entertain this idea if it was a mentor role. I dont wanna see dorsett losing snaps to a guy who will be here one maybe two years. I honestly would like to see what we got in our young wrs past hilton moncrief and dorsett. I really like danny anthrop. he his eldeman-like skills. sneaky quick and very good strong hands

If dorsett loses snaps to jones he prob isn't that good.

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

If dorsett loses snaps to jones he prob isn't that good.

Not the point. Dorsett needs time to grow with luck. I like his potential. I think we can use Dorsett a lot like how the Vikings were using Percy harvin. Besides we have enough speed wrs. If we were to go the one year wr route again, I'd rather it be a possession wr like boldin who can make the tough catches in critical parts in the game

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not the point. Dorsett needs time to grow with luck. I like his potential. I think we can use Dorsett a lot like how the Vikings were using Percy harvin. Besides we have enough speed wrs. If we were to go the one year wr route again, I'd rather it be a possession wr like boldin who can make the tough catches in critical parts in the game

Yeah, it is the point.  If he can't get enough time with Luck because of some old man receiver that his problem.  you are concerned about nothing honestly.

I'm about done with older receivers who were left go by their former teams. Donnie Avery, Hakeem Nicks, Darius Heyward Bey, Andre Johnson....

That's not to say it can't work. It just hasn't worked for us numerous times in a row.

Speaking of position battles, among the most interesting will be the final few receiving spots. Beyond Hilton, Donte Moncrief and Phillip Dorsett, the fourth and fifth option at wideout is up for grabs. During the spring workouts, Brian Tyms and Josh Boyce emerged from the pack and saw plenty of time with the No. 1 offense. Tyms especially stood out. At 6-3, he boasts the size the Colts are lacking among their top three receivers.

Expect the Colts to keep as many as six wideouts, including return man Quan Bray.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/06/13/5-takeaways-colts-otas-minicamp/85835596/