Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton loves playing for Chud

RockThatBlue

Weird that Hilton would complain in Dec. of last year about the lack of deep throws.  He aught to know that was done because Hasselbeck no longer had the arm to chuck it deep.  

If it had been Luck taking the snaps it would have been a worthwhile complaint, but Hasselbeck while effective when healthy just didn't have the arm to launch the ball deep. 

37 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Weird that Hilton would complain in Dec. of last year about the lack of deep throws.  He aught to know that was done because Hasselbeck no longer had the arm to chuck it deep.  

If it had been Luck taking the snaps it would have been a worthwhile complaint, but Hasselbeck while effective when healthy just didn't have the arm to launch the ball deep. 

I think he was more frustrated by the losing and the reality of not making the playoffs.  Somewhere in his head I think he knew why it was done.  Just the competitor in him I think.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he was more frustrated by the losing and the reality of not making the playoffs.  Somewhere in his head I think he knew why it was done.  Just the competitor in him I think.

Ditto for Gore. Losing like we did due to way too many injuries, plus not reaching 1k+ yards rushing was disappointing for him as well. Good to see that we have men "in house", that can bring that to the Colts locker room. I really hope we develope some grit on both sides of the ball. 

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

TY should have been more like Marvin rather than make a J_____ out of himself.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah T.Y. Is a real competitor. I remember Pagano at the podium after the Jags loss last season saying he wasn't embarrassed but then they interviewed Hilton and he said he was embarrassed by the last lost too (against the Steelers). That's when I realized how competitive he is. He should really be voted a team captain this season.

On 5/26/2016 at 0:31 PM, RockThatBlue said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/5/26/11788974/t-y-hilton-on-rob-chudzinski-i-love-playing-for-him-colts

Apparently in OTAs the Colts are throwing it deep quite a bit and TY is loving it. Great to hear. 

I think with a healthy Luck and better play calling that this offense will really take off.

An improved line will be very helpful, too.

I remember Moncrief last year talking about a package called the 'Indy 500', where he, Dorsett, and TY were all on the field going deep.

With those 3 WRs we have 3 sub 4.4 guys, plus we have a few more burners in the guys competing for the 4th (and possibly 5th/6th WR spot). 

There shouldn't be a secondary in the league that can match that group consistently, assuming Luck has a little bit of time to let plays develop. 

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I remember Moncrief last year talking about a package called the 'Indy 500', where he, Dorsett, and TY were all on the field going deep.

With those 3 WRs we have 3 sub 4.4 guys, plus we have a few more burners in the guys competing for the 4th (and possibly 5th/6th WR spot). 

There shouldn't be a secondary in the league that can match that group consistently, assuming Luck has a little bit of time to let plays develop. 

Oh for sure. Just giving Luck an extra second or two to find someone will without a doubt be huge for this offense.

6 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Where that Indy 500 package is going to be helpful is letting the 3 burners go deep, and sneaking Allen down the middle seam. I think those are the kind of plays we want to run early to set up throwing the ball deep. Roll Luck out, throw underneath the coverage getting the ball out of his hands, will make the Indy 500 package difficult to defend. Pick your poison. I have to say, with what Chud did with Cam in his rookie year, still raw as a QB, was not a gifted accurate passer coming out of college, and tailoring a system to fit him has me excited. He is going to make sure to put Luck in the right positions. Can't wait to see the offense.

Just remember the Denver game and how Chud called that game to perfection. If we can just get Luck to slide or throw the ball away. we are going to score some points. I now have an appreciation as to when Peyton saw guys coming, he just went down. No chance of an injury. Luck's athletic ability will let him escape many times, but I know longer will be angry if he goes down for a loss, if it avoids an injury. Hopefully, the line this year will make such a difference that won't be a worry too much of the time!

On 5/27/2016 at 11:46 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

Where that Indy 500 package is going to be helpful is letting the 3 burners go deep, and sneaking Allen down the middle seam. I think those are the kind of plays we want to run early to set up throwing the ball deep. Roll Luck out, throw underneath the coverage getting the ball out of his hands, will make the Indy 500 package difficult to defend. Pick your poison. I have to say, with what Chud did with Cam in his rookie year, still raw as a QB, was not a gifted accurate passer coming out of college, and tailoring a system to fit him has me excited. He is going to make sure to put Luck in the right positions. Can't wait to see the offense.

Just remember the Denver game and how Chud called that game to perfection. If we can just get Luck to slide or throw the ball away. we are going to score some points. I now have an appreciation as to when Peyton saw guys coming, he just went down. No chance of an injury. Luck's athletic ability will let him escape many times, but I know longer will be angry if he goes down for a loss, if it avoids an injury. Hopefully, the line this year will make such a difference that won't be a worry too much of the time!

I tend to agree with you, that with the speed we have at the WR position, we should really be able to utilize the TE's and exploit the middle of the field and should be able to move the ball a lot of with middle range plays (i.e., 5-7 yard passes to move the ball down field and move the chains) as well as have the ability to make big yardage gains.  I also think we need to use that Indy package with TY and Dorsett getting balls thrown to them at short to mid-distances and let them use their speed and skills to pick up YAC (I know Superman and I talked about this a while ago in a different thread, but I still don't know why in the world we've been unable to become a very solid 'screen' team with the speed we have at WR).

If healthy, this offense should be a 'pick you poison' offense to opposing defenses, and I think this is where Luck's development and OL play will really be critical.  I'm a huge Luck fan, but one of the criticisms I have had of him is that he sometimes seems to get a little bit impatient and make poor decisions because of that (some of this has been undoubtedly on him, but I think the line, plus a poor defense has not helped -- I remember a lot of picks Peyton threw back in the day were seemingly because he knew if he didn't score he'd get scored upon).  If Luck can improve his decision making ability, and remain patient, I don't see why this offense can't be very very good. 

I agree with you about being excited about Chud.  I think he can't be any worse than how Pep was for us last year, and am hopeful (along with Schottenheimer) can help Luck continue his development.  I also think Chud will be able to put Luck in a position to succeed and I am kind of hopeful that a TE behind Allen will also emerge as a pass-catching threat (I think Doyle is OK, but still view him as more of a blocker than a true threat in the receiving game -- I'm hoping Swoope and/or Griswold can step up their games and emerge as playmakers for us).

On May 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

We are stupid fsst and might get faster. TY we know is in the 4.3's don't forget Moncrief's  fastest was a 4.35.Dorsett went 4.29 and 4.27 at his pro day. That's ridiculous 

My favorites in camp 6'3 205 Tyms fastest 40 was 4.38 then 4.40 He worked with Moss for 4 months on how to catch the long ball. I remember his 4/119 and TD preseason game. I drafted him late in fantssy ball. A 4 game suspension for Adderrall made him an after thought. He had a 42 yard td from Brady his lone regular season TD. He's a good gunner on ST's too. He has a Super Bowl ring. 

Then Teavun Smith I think has star potential  6'1 205  ran the 40 in 4.38 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical ,10-foot-2 broad jump, short shuttle 4.26 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.72 seconds. He put the bar up 13 times.  I was really surprised and thrilled we got him as UDFA. Iows's offense was conservative but he managed to make big plays. Who could forget the 86 yard TD reception in the Big 10 Championship that put the Hawks up and almost into the playoffs. Kid has great hands catches anything close makes it look easy. He needs to develop his route tree but  he will put in the work. I don't see how he isn't at least PS if we go 6 53 man 

On 5/27/2016 at 6:44 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I just hope they have a TE and RB always available for short dump downs across the middle and not behind the line of scrimmage where we lose yards.  Let them initially block and then drift out across the LOS and into positive yardage gains when they aren't needed for blocking.  That just didn't happen enough. I also hope we can work in some 2 TE sets and put them both in crossing routes while running deep on the outside so Luck can launch or dump off based on blocking time.  We really had two wonderful TE targets but barely used them in 4 years anywhere close to their potential.  I don't know if we'll have a good enough #2 TE to do it, but if we do, let's use those weapons!

On 6/1/2016 at 1:00 PM, JPFolks said:

I just hope they have a TE and RB always available for short dump downs across the middle and not behind the line of scrimmage where we lose yards.  Let them initially block and then drift out across the LOS and into positive yardage gains when they aren't needed for blocking.  That just didn't happen enough. I also hope we can work in some 2 TE sets and put them both in crossing routes while running deep on the outside so Luck can launch or dump off based on blocking time.  We really had two wonderful TE targets but barely used them in 4 years anywhere close to their potential.  I don't know if we'll have a good enough #2 TE to do it, but if we do, let's use those weapons!

I am optimistic that Swoope and/or Griswold will emerge as a pass catching threat to compliment Allen.  Also, although he isn't flashy or someone I would consider to be a major threat in the receiving game, I do think Doyle has reliable hands and is a reliable blocker -- I could see him being used in the role you describe (block and then release as a dump-off option).

On June 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I am optimistic that Swoope and/or Griswold will emerge as a pass catching threat to compliment Allen.  Also, although he isn't flashy or someone I would consider to be a major threat in the receiving game, I do think Doyle has reliable hands and is a reliable blocker -- I could see him being used in the role you describe (block and then release as a dump-off option).

Doyle is going to surprise some people this yesr. He's been limited to 30% of  the offensive snaps and used primarily as a blocker his first 3 years. He started as a freshman at WKU. Heading into the 2013 draft he was thought of more as a pass catching TE.  Here's some of what NFL.com had to say and the link  

NFL Comparison

Brent Celek

Bottom Line

The first-team All-Sun Belt tight end is a big target, and fluid athlete. Doyle adjusts to passes like a much smaller player. However, he doesn't adequately use his size as a blocker. While he doesn't have great speed, he has enough to challenge the seams. When this is combined with his ability to find openings in zones, he will likely be a mid-round selection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jack-doyle?id=2540232