Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Irving Lost 20 Pounds?

Luck2Hilton4TD

All I can say is 20 pounds is a lot of weight for a lb'er to lose in one offseason. Can anyone point to any other player who loses that much weight to follow it up with a successful season that stands out? It seems they have lackluster seasons and/or nagging injuries and then perhaps the following season they learn to play at that new weight. 

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd love to see him and sio start at ILB one is good in coverage and the other is a good run blocker plus Irving I'd better in coverage then Jackson is 

Irving is better in coverage?  Irving has 4 deflections in his career......  Jackson has multiple years of 6-7 deflections and 1 or 2 INT's.....  

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Irving is better in coverage?  Irving has 4 deflections in his career......  Jackson has multiple years of 6-7 deflections and 1 or 2 INT's.....  

How much has Jackson been a starter? Irving has hardly 

52 minutes ago, AndyColt said:

I would like to see what  Edwin Jackson and Junior Sylvestre can do on passing down's.......Maybe they would be better in coverage.

I'm excited to see what Junior Sylvestre looks like this year.  Jackson seems like a thumper too.  I went to college at Georgia Southern but that was a good couple years ago so I never got to see Edwin play.  Looks like he has some skills though.  Hopefully one of them will run that scrub Mcnary off the team.  They also said they were considering at some point moving Trevor Bates to ILB as well so I want to see what that looks like if they do it.  He has a good motor and pursuit skills.  Runs about 4.6-4.7 so he should be able to cover.  Would be the biggest WILB we have at 6'2" 245 if they move him inside.  I want to see what he has as an outside rusher as well though.

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

All I can say is 20 pounds is a lot of weight for a lb'er to lose in one offseason. Can anyone point to any other player who loses that much weight to follow it up with a successful season that stands out? It seems they have lackluster seasons and/or nagging injuries and then perhaps the following season they learn to play at that new weight. 

I'm not sure what happened to my post. I wanted to point out Irving was 8lbs over his preinjury weight. He was 253 last year but 245 at Denver so he's lost 10-12lbs from his pre injury playing weight to call it 20lbs is kind of misleading 

I really want to see how Irving Sio and Slyvestre go under the new DC. Count me as one who's excited to see Slyvestre 

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I like the ILBs, actually. Would have liked to keep Freeman and get rid of Jackson, but between Moore, Irving and Sylvestre, I think there's some talent on the roster.

If we're talking about ILB talent on the roster,  I think the name Morrison should be mentioned.    I don't know how much he'll play this year,   but I think his future in Indy is very, very bright.

On May 25, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Jdubu said:

Le'veon Bell

18 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Le'veon Bell

Bell came into the league at 244.    HIs first year was a first year.     Showed flashes but it quickly became apparent to Bell that he needed to drop some serious tonnage.      Not just 5-10 pounds,  but some serious weight.

Suddenly he's 224.    He's so much quicker,  so much more sudden,  his ability to make tacklers miss or get a bad angle on him is so impressive.      He has quickly re-invented himself.

Bell is the guy I once thought Trent Richardson could be if he lost 20 pounds and played in the teens.    Anywhere from 219-213 and I think Trent would have been a completely different football player.     But he had no interest in working hard. 

If Irvin has lost 20 pounds and is now moving around much better,  than the Colts just found a much better linebacker than we anticipated.       Good for us!     :thmup:

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're talking about ILB talent on the roster,  I think the name Morrison should be mentioned.    I don't know how much he'll play this year,   but I think his future in Indy is very, very bright.

I'm not a very big Morrison fan, as you might now. But obviously he has a shot at doing something. The staff likes him.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not a very big Morrison fan, as you might now. But obviously he has a shot at doing something. The staff likes him.

I think the trio of Morrison, Green and Clark will be a good litmus test for this scouting department.

Green and Clark are tools guys.    They've got physical gifts that can't be taught and can this staff coach them up in time for them to start in 2017?      I'm not all that concerned how much they contribute this year,   but it's vital that they be able to either be starters and/or important contributors next year.

Morrison is the exact opposite....   not great physical tools,  but a guy who the staff thinks plays faster than he tests.    He does so with instincts,  desire and heart.    They think he's a team leader,  an alpha dog that will be great in the locker room and who others will rally to.      I see him also as a 2017.

If those three are starting in 2017,  then are scouts are validated.    

If not?     Duck and run for cover.....       :peek:

On May 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM, krunk said:

I'm excited to see what Junior Sylvestre looks like this year.  Jackson seems like a thumper too.  I went to college at Georgia Southern but that was a good couple years ago so I never got to see Edwin play.  Looks like he has some skills though.  Hopefully one of them will run that scrub Mcnary off the team.  They also said they were considering at some point moving Trevor Bates to ILB as well so I want to see what that looks like if they do it.  He has a good motor and pursuit skills.  Runs about 4.6-4.7 so he should be able to cover.  Would be the biggest WILB we have at 6'2" 245 if they move him inside.  I want to see what he has as an outside rusher as well though.

Hey Krunk, I went to GSU for two years many years ago when  Erk Russell was there! lol

Made my home here in Savannah, Ga... Go Eagles :) 

4 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Hey Krunk, I went to GSU for two years many years ago when  Erk Russell was there! lol

Made my home here in Savannah, Ga... Go Eagles :) 

Yeah I went there when Paul Johnson first got there.  I was a Freshman in 1995 and stayed there for about another year.  Went back home to Atlanta because I flunked out.   Came back in 2001.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah I went there when Paul Johnson first got there.  I was a Freshman in 1995 and stayed there for about another year.  Went back home to Atlanta because I flunked out.   Came back in 2001.

I was there in 88-89' 

GSU LB Antwione Williams was drafted in the 5th rd by the Lions this year. He will be a good one... I hope that Edwin can stick around in Indy and get some pre season action. He's a long shot of course but if he sticks that long maybe he can make the PS! 

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I was there in 88-89' 

GSU LB Antwione Williams was drafted in the 5th rd by the Lions this year. He will be a good one... I hope that Edwin can stick around in Indy and get some pre season action. He's a long shot of course but if he sticks that long maybe he can make the PS! 

Edwin seems like a thumper.  I think he'll make the team in some kind of capacity with special teams being the minimum.