Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whens the last time a 5 win team had so much hype?

RockThatBlue

Their offense was in the top half of the league for points scored, top 10 for passing yards per game, and in the top half of the league for yards per carry.

Their defensive acquisitions this offseason include Malik Jackson, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, and Tashaun Gipson.  They also signed Chris Ivory to help their running game.

Of course, this is all paper-hype.  You have to wait to see how these players perform on the field instead of judging what you see on paper.  However, there's a lot to be excited about with the Jags, if you're a Jags fan

13 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

On paper the Jags have without a doubt had a good offseason. But its like people forget that they were only 5-11 just last season...

Why do I get this feeling the Jags will flame out with all the hype they are getting?

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Their offense was in the top half of the league for points scored, top 10 for passing yards per game, and in the top half of the league for yards per carry.

Their defensive acquisitions this offseason include Malik Jackson, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, and Tashaun Gipson.  They also signed Chris Ivory to help their running game.

Of course, this is all paper-hype.  You have to wait to see how these players perform on the field instead of judging what you see on paper.  However, there's a lot to be excited about with the Jags, if you're a Jags fan

As much as I don't want to have to eat these words in 8 months, as of right now, they are still the Jags.

If they actually win the division, and (stop my beating heart) win a SB, they will get all the respect they deserve.

But until then, they are still the injury-prone, mistake-prone, collapse-prone Jacksonville Jaguars.

Man, I really hope I don't have to eat these words in 8 months...  I have a horrible gag-reflex, so if the Colts could just sweep the Jags, and relegate them to the role of "also-rans" every year, that would be great...

See my week 1 game thread...the Jags have the Packers in week 1. People are as down on the Packers as they are up on the Jags, even though the Packer's 2015 record was a 1 game difference from the Jag's, if you swap the wins and losses around. The Jags play the Packers in week 1. Jags over Packers? Seriously? And that's their best chance because the Steelers, Ravens and Chargers are next. 

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

See my week 1 game thread...the Jags have the Packers in week 1. People are as down on the Packers as they are up on the Jags, even though the Packer's 2015 record was a 1 game difference from the Jag's, if you swap the wins and losses around. The Jags play the Packers in week 1. Jags over Packers? Seriously? And that's their best chance because the Steelers, Ravens and Chargers are next. 

They could easily start 0-4 with that schedule.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

9-7 at best, could be 8-8. No way they enter the double digit win territory. Titans are getting a lot of hype too and they wont win more than 6 games IMO.

I agree with you on the Titans.  They got a lot of draft picks and that's great, but their head coach is still Mike Mularkey.  If the Titans go 8-8, that will be a very impressive season, in my opinion

I've stated this probably 50 times on here already, I think people are alot more likely to be surprised by the end of the season at how they underachieved rather than how they are gonna overachieve or win the division as some lunatics think. They went 5-11 with a better offense than the Colts and a defense that was about the same. And two of their big draft picks have big injury concerns around them now. I think 7-9 is where they'll be after this maybe maybe 8-8.

They may flame out but their QB is clearly legit and they spanked the crap out of the Colts at the end of the season.

Do i think they are SB bound?  No.

But they are certainly a contender in this division.  You can't just look at the Jags on our schedule and pencil in 2 wins anymore. 

On May 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM, RockThatBlue said:

On paper the Jags have without a doubt had a good offseason. But its like people forget that they were only 5-11 just last season...

Why do I get this feeling the Jags will flame out with all the hype they are getting?

The hype is due to several issues....

First,  they were playing their best ball of the season at the end last year.   Especially Bortles,  so if your young QB is emerging, then the arrows are pointing up.

Second,  in addition to a great draft,  most on the defensive side of the ball,  they're also adding last year's 1st pick, Dante Fowler,  who got hurt during rookie training camp.

So,  they literally have TWO 1st round defensive picks.      They're adding Fowler,  Ramsay,  Jack just for starters and they have other good defensive draft picks......   so that defense already has more play makers,  more difference makers than most,   and I'm including our own Indy defense.       We'd kill to have their players.

This is why there is so much hype around J'Ville....

I think they get hyped because a lot of terrible teams have been able to go from worst to first (figuratively speaking) in only 2-3 offseasons. The Vikings did it, the Seahawks did it in 3, and now the Raiders are on that path.

The popular narrative is that if you get a new HC, a franchise QB, and a couple of hits in the first 3 rounds you can be the Seahawks. The 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts gave the Hawks most of their franchise players they have now.

The Jags have a coach going into his 4th year, a young QB, and some notable draft picks and top level FAs. It makes sense for the media to hype the Ravens up. They're the new bandwagon team that everyone is going to try and hitch their wagon to so that if they start to succeed it looks like they called it.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:10 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Your very own colts have received more hype on a worse season the year they went 2-14 and then drafted Andrew Luck.

What is overhyped?  I don't see a bunch of people picking them to win the division this year or anything. 

To answer your question, they basically got 3 top 5 picks this year, plus a young difference maker in FA.  That's four guys on defense that you expect to be above average starters at the very least, while their offense is already young and explosive. 

On 27. maj 2016 at 0:20 AM, QwizBoy said:

Believe the hype. They probably aren't Super Bowl contenders but they won't be the pushovers of the past either.

Dont believe the hype. If anyone is Super Bowl contenders it's the Colts since they've actually made the playoffs and gone to the AFCCG in the Luck era. Texans crash and burn in playoffs and have never made it to the AFCCG. The Jags haven't done anything to deserve this kind of hype. At least the Texans have made the playoffs. The Jags have done nothing.

"Probably aren't Super Bowl contenders"

Seriously, quit belly-aching.

12 hours ago, James said:

Dont believe the hype. If anyone is Super Bowl contenders it's the Colts since they've actually made the playoffs and gone to the AFCCG in the Luck era. Texans crash and burn in playoffs and have never made it to the AFCCG. The Jags haven't done anything to deserve this kind of hype. At least the Texans have made the playoffs. The Jags have done nothing.

"Probably aren't Super Bowl contenders"

Seriously, quit belly-aching.

What are you talking about? What am I belly-aching about? As we saw last season, with Bridgewater and the Vikings, the team with the best QB isn't always the one who wins the division. It's a team sport, and like it or not, the Jaguars, Texans, and Titans have all improved. I need to see a lot more from the Colts (and any other team in our division for that matter) to believe that they are SB contenders. 

To be fair, the hype is not making them out to be some juggernaut Super Bowl contender like you guys are stating. 

Most reports have the AFC South being the division that no one wants to win, and have the Jags going 7-9 to 8-8. That's just 2-3 games off from their 5-11 record, which isn't a big deal at all.

The AFC South may no longer belong to the Colts, who have won it so many times by beating up on 3 horrible teams. If the Colts continue in their mediocrity displayed from last year, they can easily be passed up by Houston (proven last year) or Jacksonville, if the Jags can build a good team to compete for the division, as they're trying to do. 

4 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

What are you talking about? What am I belly-aching about? As we saw last season, with Bridgewater and the Vikings, the team with the best QB isn't always the one who wins the division. It's a team sport, and like it or not, the Jaguars, Texans, and Titans have all improved. I need to see a lot more from the Colts (and any other team in our division for that matter) to believe that they are SB contenders. 

As long as the Colts are managed the way they currently are, bringing back Grigson, they are very far from being SB contenders. 

6 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

None of us are SB contenders. Not even close. 

The division (assuming the starting QBs stay healthy) will be closely contested all year IMO. But, I am not expecting the Titans to rise up yet.

If history is any indication it will be Colts and Texans again UNLESS the Jags can start being consistent in more then 5 or 6 games a year.

11 hours ago, Jules said:

None of us are SB contenders. Not even close. 

The division (assuming the starting QBs stay healthy) will be closely contested all year IMO. But, I am not expecting the Titans to rise up yet.

If history is any indication it will be Colts and Texans again UNLESS the Jags can start being consistent in more then 5 or 6 games a year.

Yeah Jacksonville could definitely make things interesting...or they could go through growing pains on defense and not do as well. Consistency is undoubtedly the key here.

7 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah Jacksonville could definitely make things interesting...or they could go through growing pains on defense and not do as well. Consistency is undoubtedly the key here.

Last year I thought the Jags had something going but then they had this suprise loss to the Chargers I remember.

Until they show more consistency I have a tough time putting full faith in them.

Of course they will show up for one game vs. the Colts next year as if it's the Super Bowl and they will mimic the '85 Bears and we will lose a close one, get blown out of Earth or squeak it out on life support in a win.

On 6/4/2016 at 7:22 PM, Jules said:

Last year I thought the Jags had something going but then they had this suprise loss to the Chargers I remember.

Until they show more consistency I have a tough time putting full faith in them.

Of course they will show up for one game vs. the Colts next year as if it's the Super Bowl and they will mimic the '85 Bears and we will lose a close one, get blown out of Earth or squeak it out on life support in a win.

How was their loss to the chargers surprising?