Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something no one is talking about

Dark Superman

The Cornerback Position.

Anyone else excited about the depth we actually have at corner this upcoming season?

- Vontae Davis

- Patrick Robinson

- D'Joun Smith

- Darius Butler

- Tevin Mitchel

I know these guys have the ability to be a good group once the season starts and a lot is going to depend on our ability to be able to get pressure on the QB. But I for one am excited for the addition of Robinson and Mitchel.

Robinson has to be an upgrade to Toler. I'm excited about that. I hope Smith has a break out season. Butler wasn't as good last season, so I'm hoping he comes back to form. Mitchel could be butler's replacement. He's a slot cb in a nickel package.

I think I read something that Robinson didn't give up a TD last year.. I'm not sure, but if that's true then that's highly impressive.

I heard a lot of great talk about Mitchel and that he could play. Here's to hoping he can get on the field this year and show us what he can do. The depth is good, and if guys like Green and Geathers pan out, our secondary should be a strong unit for the next few years. Next off-season I think the Colts will address both linebacker positions (Inside and Pass Rush)

If things go well, I could see this defense being very solid down the road in perhaps another 2-3 years. Hopefully Monachino can get the job done.

2 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The Cornerback Position.

Anyone else excited about the depth we actually have at corner this upcoming season?

- Vontae Davis

- Patrick Robinson

- D'Joun Smith

- Darius Butler

- Tevin Mitchel

I know these guys have the ability to be a good group once the season starts and a lot is going to depend on our ability to be able to get pressure on the QB. But I for one am excited for the addition of Robinson and Mitchel.

are you serious?

Gruden, Greg Cossel and our staff have said D.Smith tape was very impressive.  He should perform well in the NFL.  You never know but he should.  Robinsons last year proven performance is an upgrade.  Those 2 players should make us at least better.  

2 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Robinson has to be an upgrade to Toler. I'm excited about that. I hope Smith has a break out season. Butler wasn't as good last season, so I'm hoping he comes back to form. Mitchel could be butler's replacement. He's a slot cb in a nickel package.

Yeah, I agree. It seemed like Toler would start out looking pretty good; however, the first ding and he seemed to lose 30% for the rest of the season. I don't think he's a quick healer or has a very high pain tolerance. Robinson's unwillingness to give up big plays should be a nice security blanket for Monachino.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

What depth?!

If either vontae or Robinson go down we are done for.... Butler is outright awful on the outside. Smith never really saw the field as a rookie and when he did it wasn't great. Tevin who?...

Brown is going to make the roster unless Smith shows he can play outside.  Butler gave up 118 passer rating in the slot last year. He sucks outside. I don't see how he stays around. Smith hopefully wins that job if so that should be it for Butler. 

I am hoping we look like Davis Robinson Smith Brown Mitchel. It doesn't have to be Mitchel or Brown maybe Glover-Wright or the UDFA from Cal who has gotten a lot of buzz Darius White. 

I am not excited about the idea of Butler for another year. I thought we should have looked at CB in the draft. Grigs has made comments about the young guys on the backend and how fans are in for a treat. Let's hope so 

We'll being that butler has to deal with the shifty and quick slot recievers  I can't blame him for the passer rating when we had no pass rush lol but of course he had a down year as did all of our cbs  but injuries were involved 

I don't know what battle you're talking about.  Robinson is our #2 corner. We didn't bring him in here for nothing.  Everybody knows Butler is a nickel corner.  Realistically Butler will be competing with Smith and probably Tevin Mitchel for the #3 Nickel corner spot.  If Smith or Mitchel shines we might also give them consideration for the outside spot. 

The competition for the #2 corner spot if you want to call it that (because I think Robinson is pretty much the clear cut starter) would be Robinson, Tevin Mitchell, Djoun Smith, Winston Rose, Tay Glover-Wright.  I don't think any of them will beat Robinson.

I'd like to get a closer look at Winston Rose.  He's got nice height, speed and length for the position at 6'0" and 4.38 40 yd dash.  Played under Larry Coyer(former Colts defensive coordinator) at New Mexico state so he should have a leg up on transitioning to an NFL defense in some ways.  I like some of the competition they played at New Mexico in the likes of LSU, Texas A & M, Ole Miss. 

I think Mitchell can play on the outside or inside.  He's got all the tools to do it, from athleticism, to the will to tackle, to height and speed.  Durability is his biggest thing from what I've seen so hopefully he's added some muscle.  We've got some young talent back there that people are not familiar with so they thumb their nose up and say we have no depth.  Once we start playing some preseason games I think people will see there's more there than what it looks like.

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know what battle you're talking about.  Robinson is our #2 corner. We didn't bring him in here for nothing.  Everybody knows Butler is a nickel corner.  Realistically Butler will be competing with Smith and probably Tevin Mitchel for the #3 Nickel corner spot.  If Smith or Mitchel shines we might also give them consideration for the outside spot. 

The competition for the #2 corner spot if you want to call it that (because I think Robinson is pretty much the clear cut starter) would be Robinson, Tevin Mitchell, Djoun Smith, Winston Rose, Tay Glover-Wright.  I don't think any of them will beat Robinson.

Go watch tape from Robinson he is no clear cut # 2 this is the same player who had some of the worst CB ratings in a game ever in history .  

This is a quote that sums up Robison when he was the #2 in NO

Rob Ryan has realized he has to hide Robinson in his schemes. He had safety help most of the game, and it seemed to handicap what Ryan could do with the defense for the most part. When Robinson was alone, big plays were made.

With Butlers performance last season already mentioned gave up 118 passer rating and Robison coming off a good season playing the slot how do we know he wasn't brought in to play the slot ?

4 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Go watch tape from Robinson he is no clear cut # 2 this is the same player who had some of the worst CB ratings in a game ever in history .  

Rob Ryan has realized he has to hide Robinson in his schemes. He had safety help most of the game, and it seemed to handicap what Ryan could do with the defense for the most part. When Robinson was alone, big plays were made.

With Butlers performance last season already mentioned gave up 118 passer rating and Robison coming off a good season playing the slot how do we know he wasn't brought in to play the slot ?

Why are you trying to give me quotes from a team he played for a couple years ago?  We didn't bring him in here to play nickel corner and you know it.

Depth at the CB position is a crapshoot for most teams anyway. Robinson is a clear upgrade over Toler. Butler is adequate in the slot (although he was awful at times last year and can't play on the outside at all). Overall, the CB position should be one that shouldn't be worried about.

16 minutes ago, B~Town said:

He was drafted by the Saints as a Rookie.  A lot of rookie struggle early in their careers.  He's improved from that point.   

36 minutes ago, B~Town said:

This is what this says from Grigsons mouth

“We’ve been interested in Patrick since early in free agency and we’re glad it finally came together,” said Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, per Colts.com::

We have some strong ties on our coaching staff with him so that familiarity is always a plus. He is a versatile, experienced and steady corner that gives us immediate help opposite Vontae [Davis]. He was a fit on a number of levels in regards to overall skill, but also adds some strong intangibles. We’re happy with this addition to our team.

Notice the IMMEDIATE help opposite Vontae part.  You don't use that type of language if you view him as something other than a starter.  If they didn't view him as the guy then they would start talking about competition like they always do.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

This is what this says from Grigsons mouth

“We’ve been interested in Patrick since early in free agency and we’re glad it finally came together,” said Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, per Colts.com::

We have some strong ties on our coaching staff with him so that familiarity is always a plus. He is a versatile, experienced and steady corner that gives us immediate help opposite Vontae [Davis]. He was a fit on a number of levels in regards to overall skill, but also adds some strong intangibles. We’re happy with this addition to our team.

Notice the IMMEDIATE help opposite Vontae part.  You don't use that type of language if you view him as something other than a starter.  If they didn't view him as the guy then they would start talking about competition like they always do.

Right. And its all relative to how bad Toler was as well.There shouldn't be any way he's worse than Toler. Atleast I hope lol.

14 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The Cornerback Position.

- Vontae Davis

- Patrick Robinson

- D'Joun Smith

- Darius Butler

- Tevin Mitchel

As others have said, I think a lot of our DB play is going to be based on the pass-rush.  I'm pretty confident our pass-rush can't be worse than it was last year (well, we had a few good games late in the year, but we were pretty lackluster and consistently bad most of the year).

I also don't think Robinson can be any worse than Toler has been, so that's good.  I am optimistic Butler can regain form (assuming we get a pass rush going) and am also optimistic that Green will play well for us in a role similar to Geathers' from last year. 

Mitchel, I know almost nothing about other than he's a late round draft pick that has never played an NFL down and Smith I'm not totally comfortable with.  I am hoping he'll develop and stay healthy this year, but based on what I saw last year (even when he wasn't hurt) I wasn't very impressed.

I don't think our DBs or pass rush can be much worse than they were last year, so I'm optimistic about that.  I think Ted M. is going to have to hope our DL stays healthy and can push the pocket themselves, or is going to have to come up with some more creative blitzes than Manusky was so that our LBs can pressure the QB.

It will also help if our offense is able to put points up again, which will allow for the defense to focus more on rushing the passer, therefore improving our DB play.

I think there is more than one young corner on this team with some promise so I'm ready to see how this all shakes out during the preseason. When it's all said and done I think we'll end up with some good depth.   People just aren't real familiar with a lot of these guys right now.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We don`t have a #2 corner unless DJoun breaks out.
Let us hope we can rid ourselves of Butler come 53 man time.
 No, this group is not looking good on paper. More like scary!
 Like our pass rush, like our ILB`ers.

Were you under a rock when Patrick Robinson was signed?

7 hours ago, B~Town said:

He played very well last year. Hes much better than he was with the Saints.

19 hours ago, B~Town said:

Bruh he didn't fit rob ryan scheme that's it he did better with the chargers rob ryan is not like his brother and find what's best for a player to do in his scheme

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Bruh he didn't fit rob ryan scheme that's it he did better with the chargers rob ryan is not like his brother and find what's best for a player to do in his scheme

His point is that Robinson played well covering the slot with the chargers, but was bad as an outside cover guy with the saints. Meaning he might not fare much better than butler or toler did on the outside.

Nothing to do with Rob Ryan as a defensive coordinator.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

Why are you trying to give me quotes from a team he played for a couple years ago?  We didn't bring him in here to play nickel corner and you know it.

He is not an outside corner.   Not sure where you are coming up with this.  Go watch the tape 

he will be no different than Toler on the outside so I am not sure what all the hype is.   Maybe Pags gets more out of him but he has slot written all over him. 

Smith should be on the outside   

On 5/23/2016 at 10:48 PM, SupermanLuck12 said:

The Cornerback Position.

- Vontae Davis

- Patrick Robinson

- D'Joun Smith

- Darius Butler

- Tevin Mitchel

It is very very rare that any position we have "depth" in stay healthy they  always get hurt . If you think back to all the times we said we had depth 

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I can't say that I'm particularly excited about that group, but I am hopeful.

It does seem to me like we have a bunch of nickel guys, but my hope is that Robinson or one of the young guys can hold down the outside. 

Right.  I wouldn't say we have any depth at this point.  We know what we have in Vontae and Butler.  We hope Robinson turns out better than Toler. 

So that's one very good starter, one guy that may be decent if he plays like he did last season.  And one average nickel. 

All we know about the rest is that they have various degrees of potential.

But I bet every team in the league can say the same thing.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

He is not an outside corner.   Not sure where you are coming up with this.  Go watch the tape 

he will be no different than Toler on the outside so I am not sure what all the hype is.   Maybe Pags gets more out of him but he has slot written all over him. 

What was he brought in here to do in the words of Ryan Grigson?   Tell me you pulled nickel corner from that?  I'm not arguing what he can or can do because we haven't even played any games yet.   But come back and tell me you think he was brought in here to be a nickel corner and bring your evidence from the words of the coaches when they signed him.   I'll be waiting

And by the way what tape are you watching because there ain't much tape on Patrick Robinson on the net to be honest. It's restricted to old highlight films from the Saints. That's about it.

You've barely even seen Smith play and you concocted that how?     I like Smith, but he spent all of training camp being burnt so how you think he already projects better to the outside than Robinson I'm waiting on that answer.  They are both the same exact height.  Actually I think Robinson may be taller.

Again my argument is not whether I think he is an inside or an outside guy.  My argument is they absolutely did not bring him here with the main intention of getting a nickel corner out of the deal.    You don't get rid of Toler and replace him with a guy you think is purely limited to being a nickel corner.   It's very obvious from their words they intend for him to play outside and they believe he can play outside.  I didn't gather one shred of evidence from Grigson or Pagano that says "We Brought Pat Here To Play Nickel Corner For Us".  No they bought him here to replace Toler.

I'll give you the same quote I gave the other guy:

Again tell me where his tape is?