Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading The First Pick?

I know that Isray has already come out and said that he would draft the "Best Quarterback" with the first pick. But does anyone else think that he could be using this statement to possibly get more value off trading this pick or Luck? Think about it, it gives him leverage if some team calls him wanting to trade. If they don't give enough the Colts can simply say well "we were wanting to draft him anyway" and try to push for more. Obviously this is all based on the idea that Peyton is still healthy enough to play. And if he is, you're look at three maybe four players who can contribute it many different areas, and you're also looking at competing for another Super Bowl! Just thought this would be an interesting thing to think about.

I was all pushing for the colts to trade the 1st round pick but the more i think about it, if the colts are set on getting a QB (knowing peyton will be back next season) how will they know if they will get griffin if thats what they are hoping for? the teams that really need a QB will be wanting to trade up... plus the rams and vikings are more likely to trade down themselves lol so how will that work out?..

Its all confusing and all speculative

I used to be all in favor of the Colts trading the #1 pick. But I have switched to wanting them to pick Luck. Even if they get three #1 picks, they may never pick high enough to get an impact QB again. And what if Mannings knee goes out next season and we are back to the same thing again?

The only part that scares me is Jim Irsay putting RGIII in the conversation. Reminds me of 1998. I was stunned that someone would even put Ryan Leaf in the same breathe as Peyton Manning. Andrew Luck, IMHO, is so far above any other QB who has come out of the draft in the last five years, I am not sure how there is even a thought on someone else!!

I have never understood the logic that Irsay is making these statements to drive up the asking price for the pick should they elect to trade it. Is some team willing to make an offer going to up their bid because Irsay said they are interested in either Luck or RG3? Team X - our offer is a 2 # 1's and a 2nd round pick this year. Wait Irsay said he is interesting in using the pick? Well, here are 2 more first rounders for you.

And by the way, none of that matters because they will be using the # 1 pick.

Luck will be the #1 pick if we have it or not, theres no way RGIII will be picked ahead of him, as for trading the pick, im against it, we cant pass on what the scouts say is the greatest prospect since Elway in hopes that we get a QB that isnt nearly as good. Luck has that kind of potential and even more since the rules in the NFL have changed greatly in favor of the QB. Why trade the pick away when a great QB can make his supporting cast look great, but a team with a great supporting cast and no QB will be going no where as IMO we have seen this year

Yes I too think this could be a possibility, and would hope so. But from all indications it looks like they will be taking the best QB available. I like the idea of the trade to stack up on defense to be more like the ravens, however that's just MO. I can say it bumbs me out the thought that Peyton might not be in blue and white next year, which is a tragedy to say the least. But with that said he'll go to a better team and will undoubtedly win super bowls, which will prove that he is and always will be the best QB of all time, Elway, Montana, Frave, Marino, Brady, Staubach, Young, all great QBs but never on a 2-14 team. And most of them were a muti threat QB that were great passers. Where I believe Peyton's athleticism is completely underrated, I think he ran a 4.8(I did read4.7 once) 40, but he achieved with just one tool, his ability to throw the ball, and he did that better then any of them. Consistently did more with less, like I said on a 2-14, and always won 10 plus games, he is greatness, the Jordan of football, the GOAT. I do understand the other opinion, get luck and will be set for another 10 years. But I just believe that we built our team wrong with Peyton, as great as he is he still couldn't win SB's with a one(no defense, no ST play, no run game, I would say no coaching(IMO Dungy=overrated)) dimension team. It never has and will never work, sure youll be good in the regular season but when you start to play better(muti/tool/Pats,ravens,Pit) teams in the playoffs, you look mediocre IMO. I would just like to see our team go in a different direction, even if Peyton doesn't come back. everyone says you can't win without a elite QB, and Peyton has proved you can't win the SB without a good defense(or run game, ST play, etc..). And that is the ultimate goal right? That's why Dungy and Caldwell took him out the games at the end of the season, when they did. Which IMO cost the team a perfect season.

Either way I can understand everybody's opinion, I just think out team was flawed to begin with, even with the GOAT on our side.

PS. Sorry I didn't break it up I know it's hard on the eyes....and I didn't proof read, again sorry

What I find odd is that until we hired a GM we never heard the RG3 name from Irsay. The new GM is trying to tell the league that if you love Luck or RG3 you have to start to deal with us. If that is the case GM must be thinking Manning is coming back. If not we can pick up a QB later in the draft and get thru the season with Orlasky and a rookie in training.

Am I the only person worried about all the "Luck is the best in years " stuff? ....All this hype.... The combine if he competes will show a little more...

Also let me point out that the kind of QB our GM had year was Vick.. RG3 is being compared to Vick....

You know, thinking about it.........Even if you want to trade...... You would HAVE to take Luck with the first pick.

If you trade to Cleveland for the 4th pick, hoping to get RGIII at 4th, you could have a team slide behind you and get RGIII with the 2nd or 3rd pick...... too dangerous

You have to have Luck regardless.

At the combine, if RGIII really shines, this could happen.

Low chances... but it could happen.......

Again...my asking point for the first pick would be Joe Thomas, 2 first round picks, and conditional pick for next year

I'm tired of people saying if we take Luck we will have lousy players on the rest of the team.

Did anyone stop and think its just because Polian/polian just didn't build the defense correctly? As in small, fast players instead of bigger players who are more stout at the point of attack?

We've had more 1st round picks than just peyton.

It just doesn't add up.

Instead of taking RB,RB, backup DE, etc , we could have picked better.

The problem isn't just because we "paid peyton too much".

Polian always said that QB and a pass rusher were most important.

Now with a different GM, we will have a different draft philosophy.

Plus, Luck won't cost nearly as much as peyton did, even in 5 years.

You know, thinking about it.........Even if you want to trade...... You would HAVE to take Luck with the first pick.

If you trade to Cleveland for the 4th pick, hoping to get RGIII at 4th, you could have a team slide behind you and get RGIII with the 2nd or 3rd pick...... too dangerous

You have to have Luck regardless.

At the combine, if RGIII really shines, this could happen.

Low chances... but it could happen.......

Again...my asking point for the first pick would be Joe Thomas, 2 first round picks, and conditional pick for next year

Not enough, IMO.

If the Colts really wanted RG3, they would be better off trading the #1 pick for the Ram's #2 pick + another pick in a later round. The Colts get more value, while guaranteeing RG3. The Rams in turn, would then trade the #1 for a boatload of picks.

I am not sure the Rams want to trade up. It's more likly that the Colts trade back and then trade up with the Rams which could be dicy.

That's why I believe Irsay when he says they aren't going to trade the pick. They will pick which QB they want and draft him at number one overall.

I am not sure the Rams want to trade up. It's more likly that the Colts trade back and then trade up with the Rams which could be dicy.

That's why I believe Irsay when he says they aren't going to trade the pick. They will pick which QB they want and draft him at number one overall.

Yeah, if Irsay is going to use the #1 pick, and not trade it, and he is going to pick a QB, here are the 2 possibilities:

1) Picks Luck. No issues here, if everyone else perceived Luck as being better than RG3. However, if (assuming this to be the case) that everyone perceives RG3 to be better than Luck, Irsay would be wasting the differential value between the #1 and #2 pick. In my estimation this difference would be a 2nd round pick in the same year.

2) Picks RG3. No issues here, if everyone else perceived RG3 as being better than Luck. However, if (assuming this to be the case) that everyone perceives Luck to be better than RG3, Irsay would be wasting the differential value between the #1 and #2 pick. In my estimation this difference would be a 2nd round pick in the same year.

If he picks the QB that everyone else thinks is the #2 QB, he would be wasting the differential value.

Yeah, if Irsay is going to use the #1 pick, and not trade it, and he is going to pick a QB, here are the 2 possibilities:

1) Picks Luck. No issues here, if everyone else perceived Luck as being better than RG3. However, if (assuming this to be the case) that everyone perceives RG3 to be better than Luck, Irsay would be wasting the differential value between the #1 and #2 pick. In my estimation this difference would be a 2nd round pick in the same year.

2) Picks RG3. No issues here, if everyone else perceived RG3 as being better than Luck. However, if (assuming this to be the case) that everyone perceives Luck to be better than RG3, Irsay would be wasting the differential value between the #1 and #2 pick. In my estimation this difference would be a 2nd round pick in the same year.

If he picks the QB that everyone else thinks is the #2 QB, he would be wasting the differential value.

Not if the Colts feel like RGIII is the better player and if they trade back they aren't going to get him. If RGIII holds up in his pro-day and at the combine then he could very well move up to the number two pick in the draft in a lot of people's minds. If the Colts decide that RGIII is their guy even if they trade back with the Browns they might not be able to trade back up to number two to get RGIII.

I don't think the Rams are going to leap frog with the Colts because they really have no reason to give up anything let alone give up what it's going to cost to come up to number one to just then turn around and trade the pick and probably end up with just about a wash in terms of picks where as they can just stay at number two and get picks without having to give up anything.

Also it doesn't make much sense for the Colts to trade back to turn around and trade up because they are going to spend just about everything they just got in trading back to move back up when they could just take the guy at number one overall. It's not unlike when the Colts drafted Edge over Ricky Williams. In most people's mind Williams was going to be the first one off the board. However the Colts knew if they moved back or didn't take Edge where they were at in the draft they weren't going to get him.

If anything all this Luck/RG3 talk has made pick #2 more valuable than the first pick.

My Logic...If a team needs a QB really bad why trade to the #1? They could just trade to the #2 pick and grab who ever the #1 pick isnt. If a team has the QBs rated close you wouldnt have to give up as much to get to the #2...The only way our pick is super valuable is if we hype the heck out of Luck get a team to go all crazy ala Saints-Ricky Williams...

If the colts have 5 players on their Top 5 and we trade back to 5 get our player and a cornucopia of picks for the future it seems like a win/win...Think about it..This year there is a pretty good talent at the top 5...

Luck wont take us back to the superbowl next year...Manning was 3-13 his first year and thats a 6'5 lazer rocket arm Manning....

There's this QB in this years draft, who since he declared Jan 15th, is projected as the third best QB as of right now in the Draft. I am very high on him, CBS had him as a fourth round QB which would be a steal, his name is Brock Osweller, and he is a STUD. Check him out, I am saying this because if the Colts pass on Luck, and trade the pick which I hope they do, Osweller would be the perfect guy to sit under Manning, because that's what Luck RGIII or Osweller would all do anyway. Osweller has Joe Flacco's size and arm strength, but is mobile and tough like Big Ben, he can learn how to be a professional and the game on the sideline and under Manning the next four years. He would cost less that half as much as Luck to do the same thing Luck would do. And would have the same initial impact, ZERO. He would have no pressure to succeed, and could take his time and learn. The Colts would also get all the extra picks from trading Luck. If I were the GM this is what I would do!

If we draft Luck we're not going to any superbowls anytime soon, especially with the texans coming up. If manning is healthy we will have a couple more runs, but after peyton retires we're one big question mark. So, do we go after some more superbowls with Peyton, or draft Luck and start all over? darned if you do, darned if you don't.

There's this QB in this years draft, who since he declared Jan 15th, is projected as the third best QB as of right now in the Draft. I am very high on him, CBS had him as a fourth round QB which would be a steal, his name is Brock Osweller, and he is a STUD. Check him out, I am saying this because if the Colts pass on Luck, and trade the pick which I hope they do, Osweller would be the perfect guy to sit under Manning, because that's what Luck RGIII or Osweller would all do anyway. Osweller has Joe Flacco's size and arm strength, but is mobile and tough like Big Ben, he can learn how to be a professional and the game on the sideline and under Manning the next four years. He would cost less that half as much as Luck to do the same thing Luck would do. And would have the same initial impact, ZERO. He would have no pressure to succeed, and could take his time and learn. The Colts would also get all the extra picks from trading Luck. If I were the GM this is what I would do!

I have seen Brock Osweiler (note the correct spelling) play in the Pac-12. He was very inconsistent. I think his major negatives are his inability to read defenses and how he does not go through his entire progression fast enough. His major positives are his height at 6'8" and his compact throwing motion (not lanky and drawn out as some may think because of his size). His ASU Sun Devil team was projected (pre-season) to win the Pac-12 south division (since USC Trojans were under NCAA sanctions). However, the SunDevils were disappointing in achieving a 6-7 record, losing their bowl game to BSU.

Some scouts rate Brock Osweiler as the #3 QB in this years draft. Other scouts have Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M, currently of the broken foot) and Brandon Weedon (OSU) ahead of him.

Given Irsay's comments, I doubt the Colt will be using their #1 overall pick (instead of trading it down) on him, given Luck and RG3.

Don't like it. You don't pass on a once in a generation Elway type player even if Peyton comes back because Peyton doesn't have much time left. Irsay will not trade that pick.

Look at when Vick was drafted, SD traded the 1st pick and came away from the draft with Drew Brees and LT. Trading away a player who is overvalued or overhyped can be a very good thing, even if he is a really good player. There are other very good players in the draft.

BTW, how sad is it that SD never made it to the SB with all the talent they had over the last 10 years.

Look at when Vick was drafted, SD traded the 1st pick and came away from the draft with Drew Brees and LT. Trading away a player who is overvalued or overhyped can be a very good thing, even if he is a really good player. There are other very good players in the draft.

If the Colts believe that Luck or RG3 are over-hyped or over-valued, they should certainly trade down.

If the Colts believe that Luck or RG3 are not over-rated, and they can do what they are said to be able to do, they should use the pick.

Value is relative and based on perception. I expect Irsay, Grigson and the new HC to go over tapes of all the QBs in this year's draft to determine each QB's value to the Colts. That will determine where in the draft order they belong and if the Colts will elect to draft them there.

The process is not perfect, as we all bring along with us our prejudices in the attempt to project forward these college QBs into the NFL and the Colts' offensive philosophy (still unclear at this point in time, given the uncertainty around the HC situation). From reviewing the scouting reports available from non-aligned, impartial sources, it seems that Luck is considered to be a very high quality NFL prospect, deserving to be the overall #1 pick in this year's draft. I am sure some may feel that he is not, and I would be interested to know who they think should be the #1 overall pick.

Don't like it. You don't pass on a once in a generation Elway type player even if Peyton comes back because Peyton doesn't have much time left. Irsay will not trade that pick.

Trust me, there will be another "once in a generation Elway type player" next year, and the following year, and the year after that, and ...

I'm tired of people saying if we take Luck we will have lousy players on the rest of the team.

Did anyone stop and think its just because Polian/polian just didn't build the defense correctly? As in small, fast players instead of bigger players who are more stout at the point of attack?

We've had more 1st round picks than just peyton.

It just doesn't add up.

Instead of taking RB,RB, backup DE, etc , we could have picked better.

The problem isn't just because we "paid peyton too much".

Polian always said that QB and a pass rusher were most important.

Now with a different GM, we will have a different draft philosophy.

Plus, Luck won't cost nearly as much as peyton did, even in 5 years.

Ding! Ding! Dadingdingding! We have a winner!

I don't trust Luck very much but you have identified the real problem with this football team.

Fortunately that problem has been eliminated.

BTW, how sad is it that SD never made it to the SB with all the talent they had over the last 10 years.

I'm not shedding any tears!