Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jones Fracture- the NFL wide receiver reality

ColtsBlueFL

Jones_Fx_zpsx2usd78d.jpg

They say Sammy will be ready for training camp, but many of these other guys (add Julio Jones to the list) had to have revision surgery again (latest is Julian Edelman) not long after their first.  Often recovery was even longer then. And they weren't that effective after the first as much either.  Good Luck Sammy Watkins.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

...had three operations.

Not sure why so many top level athletes need revision surgery? Even after fixation?   Is it related to hardware strength, overly aggressive rehab, or another biologic reason?  Nevertheless, the tea leaves tell me Sammy will most likely be in to the 'shop' to have his screw tuned up (revision).  But his other injuries begin to read like a grocery list.  Watkins career will be tough sledding, I feel.

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not sure why so many top level athletes need revision surgery? Even after fixation?   Is it related to hardware strength, overly aggressive rehab, or another biologic reason?  Nevertheless, the tea leaves tell me Sammy will most likely be in to the 'shop' to have his screw tuned up (revision).  But his other injuries begin to read like a grocery list.  Watkins career will be tough sledding, I feel.

He's had a few foot/leg injuries, going back to college.

ESPN had a orthopedist doctor talking about the Sammy Watkins injury a couple of days ago and talked about why the revision surgeries happen so much. The main reason is biologic, it is an area that is really tough to get good blood flow, and that is key to healing. Sammy is undergoing a specific treatment designed to increase the blood flow because so many others have had to have a 2nd surgery, or recovery took much longer. She said regardless, his rehab. even if things go well, and that is with the new treatment, to look for him to be out longer than expected. Just a tough injury to heal!