Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If his injuries check out should we consider signing him? We could afford him and use him to split carries with Gore. He also is used to running in a zone scheme which I'm assuming we will be converting to with philbin as OL coach. I'm only saying this because what happens if gore goes down or Turbin doesn't produce. Thoughts?

I feel like we already tried going with the "good RB made of glass" in Bradshaw the last few years. What we have learned is that it doesn't really help,  as the backup goes down after a few games and we are back where we started (or arguably worse, as we don't have the player we cut to sign Foster. IF (and I highly doubt it) we were to sign him, I can't see it being before Gore went down. I would rather get ten average games out of turbin/Varga / Ferguson then two slightly above average games from Foster, followed by having to rely on the one player we keep between those three mentioned above,  as chances are we don't keep as many rbs with the "depth" we would have. 

I like Foster, but he's just not reliable anymore,  and we've had enough issues with unreliable rbs as of late. 

Man, I would sign him just so he can't kill us anymore. Really love Foster as a RB, but like people mentioned earlier.. It feels like another Ahmad Bradshaw situation. I really loved when Bradshaw was here and playing healthy.. Too bad he couldn't stay on the field and play for us this season, since there's a chance our offensive line might actually be able to block.

I wouldn't mind Foster though if he came really cheap, but with Luck most likely getting paid sometime within the next few months, who knows what's going to happen.

44 minutes ago, will426 said:

Fosters injury issues aren't like bradshaws at all  Bradshaw as much as I like him is very fragile how many consecutive years on ir?

i mean Foster gets hurt but he doesn't miss seasons 

I still don't like the odds considering he has played 25 out of his last 48 games, including only 4 last yr. Plus he tore his achilles, that's not an easy injury to come back from. Usually takes two yrs or so before you are back to 100%, if you even do get back to 100%. Add in that he is hitting the end of his shelf life as a 30 Yr old, injury prone RB, and it's not exactly a stunning resume. 

This is coming from someone who was a big supporter of Foster, even before he broke out in Houston.  I like the guy, but he's in for a rough year (one of which he might never have the chance to rebound from unfortunately). 

I like the guys we have right now.  Plus there's all kinds of young UDFA running backs out there that you can bring in during preseason and a little bit after preseason where you may be able to find something.  Some good backs get cut just because the team is pretty much set at the position. Heck Arian Foster was a UDFA his own self.  I think we'll wind up bringing some other guys in any way. I have my doubts we hang on to Varga with his concussion issues so they'll probably be looking at other backs but who knows.

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like the guys we have right now.  Plus there's all kinds of young UDFA running backs out there that you can bring in during preseason and a little bit after preseason where you may be able to find something.  Some good backs get cut just because the team is pretty much set at the position. Heck Arian Foster was a UDFA his own self.  I think we'll wind up bringing some other guys in any way. I have my doubts we hang on to Varga with his concussion issues so they'll probably be looking at other backs but who knows.

I don't think Grigson ever stops looking for any players who he thinks can contribute.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Doubt we have enough space to carry more than 3 RBs.  So unless we drop Turbin or Varga or something, or Ferguson just bombs, probably not.

Start of season yes but with the 90 man roster during camp I think we might see a couple of other brought in if Grigson finds a couple?

For instance that one guy Marshaun Coprich that we paid particular attention to before the draft, but he ended up signing with the Giants.  I believe he'll wind up getting cut just on shear numbers.  Giants have a ton of running backs between Shane Vareen, Andre Williams, Paul Perkins, Rashad Jennings, Bobby Rainey, Orleans Darkwa.  I just don't see how Coprich is going to get enough looks to wade through all of those guys.  I don't even know why he chose to sign with the Giants when I look at it.  That's too much competition to fight against.   There's going to be some other guys on other teams cut for the exact same reason.

4 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I still don't like the odds considering he has played 25 out of his last 48 games, including only 4 last yr. Plus he tore his achilles, that's not an easy injury to come back from. Usually takes two yrs or so before you are back to 100%, if you even do get back to 100%. Add in that he is hitting the end of his shelf life as a 30 Yr old, injury prone RB, and it's not exactly a stunning resume. 

This is coming from someone who was a big supporter of Foster, even before he broke out in Houston.  I like the guy, but he's in for a rough year (one of which he might never have the chance to rebound from unfortunately). 

I mean I agree with you but he's still proven and much better than the non injured backups we have injuries might have slowed him down but his vision blocking and catching ability is amazing him and forte were great at getting all purpose yardage yearly 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Start of season yes but with the 90 man roster during camp I think we might see a couple of other brought in if Grigson finds a couple?

At this point it's hard to envision Grigs bringing Foster in simply because he's had ample opportunity to get him and hasn't.  Dont know why, exactly, but it can't be a good sign.

36 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

At this point it's hard to envision Grigs bringing Foster in simply because he's had ample opportunity to get him and hasn't.  Dont know why, exactly, but it can't be a good sign.

My other couple didn't include Foster in my thought process. I was jus speaking for maybe a couple cut by other teams or undrafted. Looking for a diamond in the rough can be tiresome but one may hit, who knows?

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My other couple didn't include Foster in my thought process. I was jus speaking for maybe a couple cut by other teams or undrafted. Looking for a diamond in the rough can be tiresome but one may hit, who knows?

Oh I see what you mean now.  Misunderstood initially.  Yeah, who knows what other camp bodies he brings in.  Obviously, at this point, he'd have to drop one to add another (I think we've hit the 90 man mark, anyway).  I dont' know that there's really anyone left to really get excited about, but you never know.

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Foster is evidently waiting until he's cleared physically before he even visits any teams. He'd be perfect for the new blocking scheme, but he's old for a back and has injuries basically every year. If he were in great shape and we needed a back right away in the middle of the season, I'd have no problem adding him. At this point, I'd rather not. He'd just be taking up a spot on the 90 that a younger player could do something with.

I 'd rather develop a couple young backs behind Frank.

Eventually the plan seems to be that our run blocking will improve to the point where it won't be a problem getting acceptable production out of multiple backs, but if we hit on a good one then it's all for the better.  

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

Foster is evidently waiting until he's cleared physically before he even visits any teams. He'd be perfect for the new blocking scheme, but he's old for a back and has injuries basically every year. If he were in great shape and we needed a back right away in the middle of the season, I'd have no problem adding him. At this point, I'd rather not. He'd just be taking up a spot on the 90 that a younger player could do something with.

Ah, didn't know that.  Anytime he came up, it was always about his legs and whether they could hold up, even as a role guy.  I agree though, he's a fit scheme-wise.  But we both know talent isn't the concern - even if Turbin or Varga will probably never be as talented.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:41 AM, will426 said:

Fosters injury issues aren't like bradshaws at all  Bradshaw as much as I like him is very fragile how many consecutive years on ir?

Yes he does, he has only played 25 games in the last three seasons, all of them ending in injury... 8 games in 2013, 13 in 2014 and 4 in 2015.

I like Foster a lot, he was a fun RB to watch (as long as he wasn't playing the Colts) but RBs have a short life in the NFL as it is and big backs that run the way Foster does have even shorter careers.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:41 AM, will426 said:

He has recently.  He couldn't be counted on to make it through the season.

About the only thing we could do is try to put him on some sort of pinch count and keep him on light duty to try to preserve him for the playoffs.   But we tried that with Bradshaw a couple years ago and while he got halfway through the season, he was still on IR well before the playoffs.

Good player but I think it sort of hurts us to bring a good player in and have him play well for us and have our offense learn to rely on him early in the season and then see him get hurt mid-season and have the offense trying to do without him.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He has recently.  He couldn't be counted on to make it through the season.

About the only thing we could do is try to put him on some sort of pinch count and keep him on light duty to try to preserve him for the playoffs.   But we tried that with Bradshaw a couple years ago and while he got halfway through the season, he was still on IR well before the playoffs.

Good player but I think it sort of hurts us to bring a good player in and have him play well for us and have our offense learn to rely on him early in the season and then see him get hurt mid-season and have the offense trying to do without him.

Bradshaw and him don't experience the same kinda of injuries..the most nagging injuries for foster are his hamstring issues Bradshaw it doesn't matter where on his body when he gets hurt he's gone lol but we're not asking for foster to carry too much of a load  I just know he's a superior runner catcher and blocker than most and if we use him on 3rd downs until Ferguson (if he makes it)gets up to speed hell last longer than usual