Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeAndre Hopkins declares the Texans 'the team to beat' in AFC South

RockThatBlue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

All I can say is the Texans won the division by default and we will see which team lands on top this year. Pretty much any player who wants attention likes to run their mouth before the season starts. It's just media food.

I know, anyone with half a brain knows if Andrew plays against the Texans we win that game which wins us the Division. He would've put up way more than 10 points.

Their performance in the playoffs left a lot to be desired as well....made the division look even worse then the NFC East. And I was rooting for the Texans slightly in the playoffs there.....

I still think our biggest competition might be the Jags but then again the Jags are not consistent.

If the new o line additions help keep Luck in one piece all year though the Colts will win the South again. At the very least the first round center will work out, I have complete confidence he is the anti bust type.

Just now, Jules said:

Their performance in the playoffs left a lot to be desired as well....made the division look even worse then the NFC East. And I was rooting for the Texans slightly in the playoffs there.....

I still think our biggest competition might be the Jags but then again the Jags are not consistent.

If the new o line additions help keep Luck in one piece all year though the Colts will win the South again. At the very least the first round center will work out, I have complete confidence he is the anti bust type.

On another Thread I listed my W's and L's for the Colts. I have us going 10-6 as an early projection. I think that will be good enough to win the Division as well. I can see the Texans and Jags both 9-7 and Titans 7-9, possibly 6-10 if they do really lousy in the Division.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On another Thread I listed my W's and L's for the Colts. I have us going 10-6 as an early projection. I think that will be good enough to win the Division as well. I can see the Texans and Jags both 9-7 and Titans 7-9, possibly 6-10 if they do really lousy in the Division.

10-6 sounds about right imo. I think we will win the division too.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

10-6 sounds about right imo. I think we will win the division too.

Yeah looking at our schedule, I think we split with the Texans and Jags, sweep the Titans to go 4-2 in the Division. Outside of the Division isnt too rough as I think we can play slightly over .500 ball there as well = 6-4 which 10-6 makes sense.

"I feel like we've earned that title to be the team to beat in the AFC South," Hopkins said Saturday

He is right. Congrats to them for that last year. With that said......The Colts go back on their throne come the end of the season

Well he isn't wrong..... Even Irsay said it.

Although they have an extra target on the their back now. 

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top of the AFC South! Teams will actually have to deserve it this upcoming season!

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Considering that the generally when Houston won the division was because the Colts starting franchise QB was out for the season. That should make them feel good.

The Texans had it a lot worse last year when it came to QBs. Brandon Weeden was what it took for us to beat the Colts, so let's not play the injury game. 

And Hopkins is right. We are the reigning AFC South Champions and there are plenty of people who think we can win it again. I knew when I read this comment the other day some people here would get bent out of shape about it. 

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

The Texans had it a lot worse last year when it came to QBs. Brandon Weeden was what it took for us to beat the Colts, so let's not play the injury game. 

And Hopkins is right. We are the reigning AFC South Champions and there are plenty of people who think we can win it again. I knew when I read this comment the other day some people here would get bent out of shape about it. 

Was there really such a thing as an AFC south reigning champion? The whole AFC south sucked last season IMO. Let's not play the injury game?  Do you really think Luck being injured didn't play a part in the Texans winning the division? Sorry, I don't buy that but to each his own I guess.

I'd venture to say if we even had a healthy Hasslebeck in that last Houston game we would have walked out of their victorious.  The game was close the entire way and the mans body was beat to shambles.  We thought he had no business playing the first time around, but in the last game he really had no business being out there.

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I dont think "bent out of shape" is what is at issue here. Its the very real consideration that Luck and Manning are worlds better than any QB the Texans put out on the field. Schaub had some good years, but his fall out is still curious to me (still dont get what happened there).  2 of the 3 division wins are when those guys were out for injury for most/all the season. The other was Luck's rookie year. Im fine saying the Texans are the reigning division champs. Indisputable fact. But i dont think its a valid argument that our QB situations are even close to similar.

The only way the Texans win the division is when our QB play is brought to the level of whatever the Texans have. So reigning champs ring hollow to me.Win the division against a healthy seasoned Luck and your point has more merit.

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

The season should be fun and interesting. The difference between being 8-8 or 11-5 is very little. The team that wins the close games and wins their Division games will be the team that wins 10 or 11, the team that doesn't will be .500

18 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The only way the Texans win the division is when our QB play is brought to the level of whatever the Texans have. So reigning champs ring hollow to me. Win the division against a healthy seasoned Luck and your point has more merit.

Are you also saying that you believe the Texans have a better overall team than the Colts do, minus the quarterback position? It sounds that way.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are you also saying that you believe the Texans have a better overall team than the Colts do, minus the quarterback position? It sounds that way.

I think they do because of their Defense but the QB position is the most important position in Football so that is nothing to be a shamed of admitting. With Andrew healthy we should win the Division.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Was there really such a thing as an AFC south reigning champion? The whole AFC south sucked last season IMO. Let's not play the injury game?  Do you really think Luck being injured didn't play a part in the Texans winning the division? Sorry, I don't buy that but to each his own I guess.

You do know what a reigning champion is right...especially considering your team hangs up banners for their division titles? The Jaguars were beaten soundly by the Texans and still did well enough against the Colts and Titans. Andrew wasn't too hot when he did play last year so we can't assume he would've had what it takes to win the division again. I'm not going to completely rule it out either though, especially looking at how close the final game between our teams was. 

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I dont think "bent out of shape" is what is at issue here. Its the very real consideration that Luck and Manning are worlds better than any QB the Texans put out on the field. Schaub had some good years, but his fall out is still curious to me (still dont get what happened there).  2 of the 3 division wins are when those guys were out for injury for most/all the season. The other was Luck's rookie year. Im fine saying the Texans are the reigning division champs. Indisputable fact. But i dont think its a valid argument that our QB situations are even close to similar.

The only way the Texans win the division is when our QB play is brought to the level of whatever the Texans have. So reigning champs ring hollow to me.Win the division against a healthy seasoned Luck and your point has more merit.

I think it speaks to the talent level of each team. When I spoke of QB issues I was talking about the injuries both team suffered. Like you said, even Hasslebeck looked better at times then every single guy the Texans trotted out last year. I do see what you're saying though. I hope the Texans have done enough to beat all of the young up and coming QBs in the division at full health. I guess we will see.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The season should be fun and interesting. The difference between being 8-8 or 11-5 is very little. The team that wins the close games and wins their Division games will be the team that wins 10 or 11, the team that doesn't will be .500

Yeah I could see that, but I do have doubts about any team other then the Titans looking at a circa .500 season.

41 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

You do know what a reigning champion is right...especially considering your team hangs up banners for their division titles? The Jaguars were beaten soundly by the Texans and still did well enough against the Colts and Titans. Andrew wasn't too hot when he did play last year so we can't assume he would've had what it takes to win the division again. I'm not going to completely rule it out either though, especially looking at how close the final game between our teams was. 

Sorry, I don't put much merit into a 9-7 division champion as reigning when no team in the division had anything to brag or be happy about.

Good!       Great!

There's a reason somebody (Shakespeare?)  wrote the line.....   "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown..."

Rough translation:    It's HARD to repeat as champion!     (Even of the AFC South!!)

So,  thanks for sticking out your neck, D'Andre!      Feel free to do that anytime.     Now the Colts get to be the hunter and not the hunted!!        :thmup:       :thmup:

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I can admit that, yes. At the very least they may/likely have a better defense. I still think the QB position can outweigh the rest. The games can prove that, which im always okay with.

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

I think it speaks to the talent level of each team. When I spoke of QB issues I was talking about the injuries both team suffered. Like you said, even Hasslebeck looked better at times then every single guy the Texans trotted out last year. I do see what you're saying though. I hope the Texans have done enough to beat all of the young up and coming QBs in the division at full health. I guess we will see.

Yeah, we will see. I do think and hope the division as a whole is stronger. It makes it more interesting. Plus im tire of the whole "AFC South is a pushover" argument. Thats never been a great argument IMO, but it helps when other teams push for the division. Good luck to your Texans, for real. I hope we stomp you, but I hope more for whoever comes out of the AFC South to be competitive, more sharpened for playoff competition. If that means we are a wild card, so be it. It'll be more fun. 

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I don't put much merit into a 9-7 division champion as reigning when no team in the division had anything to brag or be happy about.

Winning the division is winning the division. I'm pretty sure I've seen you say as much before. I don't think the Giants complained about being a wild card after winning the Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, we will see. I do think and hope the division as a whole is stronger. It makes it more interesting. Plus im tire of the whole "AFC South is a pushover" argument. Thats never been a great argument IMO, but it helps when other teams push for the division. Good luck to your Texans, for real. I hope we stomp you, but I hope more for whoever comes out of the AFC South to be competitive, more sharpened for playoff competition. If that means we are a wild card, so be it. It'll be more fun. 

Completely agree. It's time for a dogfight! :strong:

19 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Winning the division is winning the division. I'm pretty sure I've seen you say as much before. I don't think the Giants complained about being a wild card after winning the Super Bowl.

What have the Giants and Texans have to do with each other? Are you even suggesting the Texans were even close to being as good as the Giants were when the Giants won the super bowl because of there records? I seem to remember the Giants division being pretty good unlike the AFC south was last season. Apples and oranges. But if you want to hang your hat on your two by default division crowns be my guest. See, we can both play with words to make a point.haha

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What have the Giants and Texans have to do with each other? Are you even suggesting the Texans were even close to being as good as the Giants were when the Giants won the super bowl because of there records? I seem to remember the Giants division being pretty good unlike the AFC south was last season. Apples and oranges. But if you want to hang your hat on your two by default division crowns be my guest. See, we can both play with words to make a point.haha

You didn't play with words, you just didn't comprehend what I was getting at very well. That's fine. Also we've won the division three times :)

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

You didn't play with words, you just didn't comprehend what I was getting at very well. Also we've won the division three times :)

Yes I comprehended. You still didn't answer my question. What did the Texans last season have to do with the Giants that won the super bowl other than 9-7 records? It is still apples and oranges. Look at the teams they matched up against since you brought that up in your earlier post about division foes.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes I comprehended. You still didn't answer my question. What did the Texans last season have to do with the Giants that won the super bowl other than 9-7 records? It is still apples and oranges. Look at the teams they matched up against since you brought that up in your earlier post about division foes.

I wasn't referring to the Texans in particular. What I'm saying is your regular season wins don't matter when you get to the postseason. Anyone can win it all. So I don't look down on teams who barely limp into the playoffs or have a "terrible division." 

Texans won it no doubt. And they deserve that cridit. Now I think they won it with pretty favorable circumstances, but hey they won it, and congrats to them for doing so. I think there is a good chance things will be different this year though. A healthy Luck with an improved O line where he can settle down and a run game will make a big difference for this team on both sides. And also now having a competent offensive coordinator calling the plays. And for the Texans with Brock I think it's a 50/50 toss up  as to whether he turns out to be a franchise type of QB that can play at high level consistently and be a leader. Or....be just another avg to below avg guy. When Elway and the Broncos passed on request singing him 2 times though, it has to make you wonder.

And I know this has nothing to do with the Texans...but I really think there is a better chance that the Jags are gonna fall below people's expectations this year and disappoint more than there is the chance they will take people by storm and blow people away. People are putting waaaaayyy to much hype into them in my opinion. They got only 5 wins last year with a better offense than the Colts and Thier defense statistically was pretty close to the Colts. Yet because they got Malik Jackson and 3-4 sexy draft picks everyone wants to say they are the team to beat all the sudden. What have those draft picks done or shown in the pros yet that says they are gonna make the Jags defense sooooooo much better immediately??? The answer to that is NOTHING!!!