Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Frank Gore reach 1000 yards this year?

RockThatBlue

Probably not. The Colts enjoy splitting RB duties, especially with Gore's refined age as we hope to keep him fresh for the playoffs (assuming we even reach the playoffs!).

As far as our o-line being improved, we can't put stock in any of these new o-linemen yet. It's going to take them time to develop. The only one I have faith will instantly contribute is Ryan Kelly. We've needed a reliable presence at Center ever since Saturday left. The locker probably still stinks of Satele.

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Probably not. The Colts enjoy splitting RB duties, especially with Gore's refined age as we hope to keep him fresh for the playoffs (assuming we even reach the playoffs!).

Really depends what they think of the other rbs on the roster. Last yr Gore was pretty much a solo workhorse back for us. 

We won't be throwing the ball 20+ straight times with Chud calling the plays. We will commit to running the ball. I don't see a scenario where we run the ball 10 times for the entire game. Chud is not going to get lost like that.

Gore finished last year had 260 carries for 967 yard at 3.7 ypc. The first year he averaged less than 4 ypc in his career. We all know he lost a lot of yards because of penalty or he's over 1,000 last year. 

I think it's safe to say we will average around 25 rushes per game with Chud calling the plays. There are two questions: does Gore get 75% of the carries and does he stay healthy for all 16 games. If the answer is Yes to both he hits 1000 yards.

I don't see a real threat to Gore's carries. It would be great if a RB had break out year. The only RB I see with that chance is Varga. After the concussion story...

We know what Turbin and Todman can do. They have both had a few uneventful years. It's not impossible but not likely either have more than they have shown IMO. Ferguson and Williams are both scat backs not likely either gets big carries if either makes the team.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed we didn't sign another FA RB. It was a deep class. There were a few guys with every down potential I would have liked to see Carson A&M Washington UW Marshall OU Mobley EWU Pressely NM to name a few. 

I think we try to keep Gore around 260 which is about 16 carries a game.  If he stays healthy he will get 1000 yards. He only needs to average 63 yards a game to do it. 

I'm going a different route and saying that he will lead the league in yards and finish with around 1600. Luck rarely gets hit, play action is deadly, TDs galore and they cruise to the Super Bowl.  All hail the all powerful Colts O-line and awe inspiring Offense! Oh and the defense does just enough to not lose games haha.

A guy can dream right?..............

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

As far as our o-line being improved, we can't put stock in any of these new o-linemen yet. It's going to take them time to develop. The only one I have faith will instantly contribute is Ryan Kelly. We've needed a reliable presence at Center ever since Saturday left. The locker probably still stinks of Satele.

"Refined age".  I like that.  Gore was ticked he didn't get 1k last season, this may be his last hurrah.

As far as developing the o-line, most of them are also going to be under a new coach.  Philbin has about 30 years coaching O linemen.  I have confidence that he'll put out the best guys and get the best out of them.

I think he could go 1100 yards this season. Not to diminish the need for our defense to be better moving forward, but I think our O-line play will be the biggest surprise to most in the league. Having a good/great line will make all of the other offensive skill positions better, which in turn hopefully produce results. 

Frank won`t survive long rushing the ball 20 times a game.
 Someone Must emerge as a #2 back and be able to get it done 15-20 rushes some games.
 No on Frank getting a 1000.    200 rushes for 850 would be really good for him.
 Gotta believe Chud will run it close to 50/50 as much as possible.
 That is what slowed down the Denver pass rush and that helped out our

mediocre Tackles a great deal. lol

Denver game stats

Colts time of possession 38;39
 Rush attempts 40      Gore 28 for 83
 Pass attempts 36

•  

On May 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM, jim scheurich said:

If he stays healthy, and the colts use him hes a 1000 yrd. back, was last year too if they played him more.

He doesn't need to play more. He had 260 carries last year, penalties cost him and he had trouble hanging on to the ball. Pep going full quarters without running the ball didn't help. We had a game that we had 10 rushes as a team I think 3 were scrambles by Luck.

He finished with 967 yards. I would bet he lost 200 yards on flags last year.

It's only 63 yards per game to get to 1k If he stays healthy I think he gets it. Chud won't forget the run. Gore is sore he didn't hit 1k. Health will be key factor 

Honestly I hope not. Don't get me wrong I want to run the ball well but I would rather have some help for him. I'd like to keep him somewhat fresh for the playoffs. I know last year we tried putting him on a "pitch count" but that all got thrown out the window when we lost Luck and was losing games. Hopefully we can limit him to like 15 carries a game...with an occasional 20-25 if we need it from him.

On May 16, 2016 at 7:57 AM, dgambill said:

Honestly I hope not. Don't get me wrong I want to run the ball well but I would rather have some help for him. I'd like to keep him somewhat fresh for the playoffs. I know last year we tried putting him on a "pitch count" but that all got thrown out the window when we lost Luck and was losing games. Hopefully we can limit him to like 15 carries a game...with an occasional 20-25 if we need it from him.

If he gets 15 carries a game that is 240 carries for the year. 4.2 yards per carry puts him at 1008. 

An occasional 20-25 wouid put him around 260 right where he was last year. He just needs 3,9 per carry. If he is healthy for 16 he's getting 1K 

That depends, is chuck going to start the season by saying that they are saving Gore for the playoffs again?

It turned out great last time.

I'd 150% sign Bradshaw to a vet min deal, and not even let him see the field until January.

I know that 1000 yards is a personal goal for Gore. And if it motivates him to train harder all well and good. However, as a fan I don't see the importance of 1000 vs. the 967 he got last year. What is more important to me is the yards per carry. 967 yards at 4.7 ypc to me is better than 1000 yds at 3.7 ypc. IMHO, it is better for the team as well.

I feel exactly the same about 100 yard games. 100 happens to be a round number. That's all. If humans had three fingers and a thumb on each hand we might not be in Base 10 math and instead be in Base 8. All the goals would be different then...lol

17 hours ago, akcolt said:

If he gets 15 carries a game that is 240 carries for the year. 4.2 yards per carry puts him at 1008. 

An occasional 20-25 wouid put him around 260 right where he was last year. He just needs 3,9 per carry. If he is healthy for 16 he's getting 1K 

Sorry I didn't do the math. I just assumed he would need less attempts this year than last if he is going to be healthy and fresh going into the playoffs. He took a lot of hits last year. My hope this year is he has to come out because of so many 10 and 15 yd runs tire him out and not so much from getting smacked up in the hole and wear out from carrying lineman two and three yards. Hopefully we can keep his carries low and yardage up and we find a robin to his batman.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

For those in the know, how has Frank done with a ZBS?

Scheme shouldn't be all that new for him. Chud was Gores' OC at University of Miami. Gore can do either one. It's really about which zone runs will he be better at.  Inside Zone or Outside Zone. I'm thinking most of his runs will be inside.  On the flip side I don't think we will get rid of all the man blocking so we should still see some of the classic stuff that Gore has been successful with over the years.