Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Gronkowski chosen for cover of Madden 17

CF4L

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/12/gronkowski-chosen-as-cover-boy-for-madden-17/

Gronkowski chosen for cover of Madden ’17

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will be on the cover of the 2017 version of the popular EA Sports Madden NFL video game, it was announced Thursday.

And, yes, his signature Gronk Spike will be prominently featured on the cover.

This is the first year since 2010 that a fan vote did not determine the player who graced the cover of the game, which is usually released each August. Odell Beckham Jr. (Madden ’16) and Richard Sherman (Madden ’15) were on the cover of the last two editions.

EA Sports has had the exclusive NFL video game contract since 2004. The first game in the John Madden Football series dates back to 1988.

Gronkowski has become of the NFL’s most popular players for his ability to dominate games on the field and party like crazy off the field without getting into trouble. Gronkowski has done his share of magazine covers — wearing more clothes on some than on others — and receiving this honor probably was only a matter of time.

EA fails once again. They probably forced this cover onto the fans as some form of Patriot protest directed toward Goodell, because yea, they knew Gronkowski wasn't going to win the vote with the anti-Patriot rhetoric.

I won't be buying this game... Okay, I wasn't planning on buying it to begin with.

If I want a real sports simulation with a good franchise mode, I'll play Football Manager... and no, I don't mean NFL football. I quit playing Madden and learned the rules of soccer so I could play a real sports simulation!

As much as I dislike the Patriots and Kronk I don't have a problem with Kronk being on the cover of Madden. He is the best TE in the league as bad as that sounds coming out of my thoughts. Every other team in the league just wished they had a player that does what he does. (on the field) 

I don't have a problem with Gronk being on the cover but IMO the SB MVP should be on the cover each season. It would've been Von Miller in this case, last season it would've been Tom Brady and so on. I played this game 24/7 throughout the 90's from Sega to PlayStation and into the early 2000's on PlayStation 2 but haven't played it much at all over the last 10 seasons. I used to buy this game the first day it would come out and have friends over and we would have tournaments. I lost interest in it when the gameplay seemed to be the same for a few years. There were certain Maddens where you could throw a 50 Yard pass into Triple coverage and complete it to a mediocre WR which wasn't even realistic. I loved Madden 93 personally on Sega, basic graphics but Great game play, players didn't slide and you couldn't throw 50 yard passes into triple coverage LOL. I was always the 85 Bears on that game and dominated against the computer and friends. One of my friends always took the 78 Steelers, he was great with them. The player ratings were realistic too, you could see the difference in the speed of certain players and you could play legit Defense. That was the first Madden where he had the maddenisms where he talked and they 8 of the greatest teams ever on that game as well.

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Ya'll should be happy. This is gold lol! Bill will now go 4-0 without Brady and Gronk and the homers will have to come up with a whole other slew of stuff to give Bill as little credit as possible.

Why do you bring that horse dung in here?

14 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Ya'll should be happy. This is gold lol! Bill will now go 4-0 without Brady and Gronk and the homers will have to come up with a whole other slew of stuff to give Bill as little credit as possible.

Or they'll invent conspiracy theories like they were doing last year, it will be gold indeed pal. :thmup:

I think people are making too much of this.  I don't think it's a way by which EA is trying to get at the league by promoting a Patriot or anything.  Gronk is fairly marketable, especially to youth, because he's young and likes to party.  Not only that, but he's one of the best players in the league.  EA is just putting a good NFL player on the cover of their overpriced and underwhelming video game, like they always do

the madden monopoly needs to end.  havent bought one since 2013 and dont plan on it anytime soon

we need a new game engine built from the ground up

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think people are making too much of this.  I don't think it's a way by which EA is trying to get at the league by promoting a Patriot or anything.  Gronk is fairly marketable, especially to youth, because he's young and likes to party.  Not only that, but he's one of the best players in the league.  EA is just putting a good NFL player on the cover of their overpriced and underwhelming video game, like they always do

the thing is they usually do a vote and go with the winner.  this year, amongst all of the patriots hate, they throw out the vote and put gronk on there no questions asked.  im not sure its meant to be a shot at goodell or anything, but its dubious.  if they really wanted to take a shot like that they would put brady on there

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the madden monopoly needs to end.  havent bought one since 2013 and dont plan on it anytime soon

the thing is they usually do a vote and go with the winner.  this year, amongst all of the patriots hate, they throw out the vote and put gronk on there no questions asked.  im not sure its meant to be a shot at goodell or anything, but its dubious.  if they really wanted to take a shot like that they would put brady on there

I miss the espn nfl game that was around quite a few years ago.      The EA deal with the NFL makes it so EA can put out a product without competition.   

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I haven't bought one since 2007 and haven't played it at all in years.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

The problem is EA's under contract with the NFL to provide a new Madden game every year. Creating a new engine takes more time than that (3+ years it seems, on average), so they would have to create the engine for a future release in tandem with each annual game's release. Basically, EA has dug their own hole with the NFL-exclusivity contract. They're stuck on an outdated engine, so instead of developing a new engine, they overspend on factors they CAN control, such as marketing (remember those Superbowl commercials?), new main menu interfaces, glossy visuals, and minor gameplay nuisances. It was getting so bad, EA was even hyping up pylon physics and 3D grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVF9uBbuqc
^ I have to admit, their commercials are great, but wait... Did you notice they barely have anything to do with the actual game? It's like jingling keys in front of your cat. They're hoping you won't notice their crappy engine.

My only theory why they didn't use Brady for the cover is because he was unavailable for the photo shoot. According to Gronk and other athletes, it's a long process where they take multiple shots from different angles at different lighting to capture the perfect shot. Perfect is a relative term though -- in this cover, it looks like Gronk is about to drop a serious deuce.

9wWbCYu.jpg

Or Brady just refused, just like he refuses to go to the Pro Bowl, or refused to visit the White House and shopped for Apple watches instead, or refused... Well, I guess we'll never know.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why should the goat not be on the most popular football game in video game history??? 

I'm guessing he doesn't want to. I'm sure if he allowed it he would've been on the cover a long itme ago.

Gawd no don't put Manning on the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They put another guy who'd retired on the cover once, another guy who was considered GOAT, moreso then than now but that's not the point (figured I'd go ahead and address the inevitable NU UH NOT IS THE GOAT BEE CEE reply...). 

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

Gawd no don't put Manning on the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They put another guy who'd retired on the cover once, another guy who was considered GOAT, moreso then than now but that's not the point (figured I'd go ahead and address the inevitable NU UH NOT IS THE GOAT BEE CEE reply...). 

Who?

It should've went to Cam or Miller. Unless it's a repeat, the cover should always go to the MVP. Then the Super Bowl MVP if the MVP has already Done a cover. After that have a vote if both the MVP and Super Bowl MVP have been on the cover.