Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Reasons to Believe the Colts Can Make the Super Bowl

WarGhost21

Just take a look around the internet at all the haters who don't even think the Colts will make the playoffs this year. It's astounding how many people have lost faith in the franchise after a year riddled with injuries. They must not have considered how we still almost won the division (Read Here). I'm confident that the Colts still have a strong hold on the division, and even that we will make the Super Bowl. Don't believe me?? Here's 5 reasons why!

1) Healthy Luck = Healthy Chances

Looking back at last season, where we went 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs for the first time since Andrew Luck arrived, there is still reason to be positive. Luck is 3 for 3 on playoff appearances, not counting last year when he only played 7 of our 16 games. In his first three years, he led us to 11-5 records each season. That being said, I feel great about our chances of making the playoffs, even with the division rapidly improving. If Luck stays healthy (which he should behind a partially revamped line), who can't we beat??? Added to this the fact that Luck only played one game under new OC Rob Chudzinski (a win against the Super Bowl Champs), and you get a recipe for success!

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

Let's fly back a bit to mid-season last year. Sitting 3-5 after a devastating loss in OT to Carolina in a game we could have won, the front office decided to fire OC Pep Hamilton. This was quite a shocking move to make halfway through the year, with many people believing we were just giving up. Enter interim OC Rob Chudzinski. In his first week with the Colts, with a semi-healthy Luck and a game against the best defense in the NFL (and widely considered one of the best ever), every odd was stacked against him. What ended up happening was that we caught a glimpse of just how powerful the Colts offense could be. Luck threw for 252 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 21 of 39 completed passes without an interception, while also having a passer rating of 98.4, his best of the season. Gore scrambled for 83 yards and a TD on 28 carries, and the ball was very well distributed, with 4 players over 3 receptions. Luck only got sacked once, showing the offensive line was improved under Chud's quick-moving scheme. After that huge win over the eventual Super Bowl Champions, Chud soared. Over the rest of the year, he lead the crippled Colts offense to a 5-3 record, 4-3 without Luck. And who can forget his preparation of Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley in the regular season finale against the Titans. With Chud's high-octane offense and a healthy Luck next year, the sky is the limit for this offense.

3) Finally, a Smart Draft by Irsay

Now I don't want to knock Irsay at all. He's a great man with good intentions. He's just not very good when it comes to drafts. This year feels different, though. Usually, with only 8 draft picks, Owners and GMs tend to get as many playmakers as possible. Many people have frowned upon the Colts getting 4 offensive linemen in the draft, as they aren't exactly "playmakers". When you stop watching the game and watch the line, though, that's when you begin to see the real "playmakers". Providing huge blocks, preventing sacks, running their hearts out down field to try to block anybody they can to extend the play, linemen make up the heart of big plays. While the ball carrier gets all the credit for making the play happen, the behemoth men up front quietly rejoin the huddle, hoping they can get the chance to make it happen again. Their pride comes from knowing how they set up a block to extend the run or stopped a pass rush to allow the quarter back to make the magic happen. That's why I think Irsay got the real "playmakers" in the draft. Kelly will be an immediate upgrade, while Clark has the potential to be a stud once fully developed. Haeg and Blythe also have potential to be good starters in a few years. Irsay did a great job this year, and with everyone saying that we need to protect Luck, I'm surprised how well he accomplished it. Great job, Irsay!!

4) Undrafted Pass Rushers (Oh, and a drafted one)

Going into the draft, many people saw pass rush as one of our top two positions of need. They were right, but they are overreacting to how we didn't get on until the last round. We still have a starting duo next year, and with the collective 200+ sacks between Cole and Mathis, the rookies will learn a ton this year. Don't forget that the rookie LB group accumulated a combined total of 33.5 sacks in the 2015 season (and thats only among 5 players). Plus, the recent story about the Colts Pass Rush for 2016 reveals that through the last 6 weeks of 2015, we led the league with 21 sacks! The other overlooked addition in the offseason is Hassan Ridgeway, who totaled 6 sacks in 2014, Add the Okine move to OLB with 5.5 CFL sacks and we have a young group with 45 sacks in one year of college or the CFL. We are going to get after the QB this year, as well as many years to follow.

5) Our Division

Yes, the AFC South made a huge statement in the offseason with some big name acquisitions. Yes, the division does look a whole lot better than past years on paper. What you have to remember about this is our last offseason. We made huge waves in free agency, leading many to believe we would be the best team in the NFL. And if you recall, everyone was saying we looked "so much better on paper!" Boy were they wrong. This is the AFC South, where nothing ever seems to go right for anyone. The division won't blow up like everyone is saying. The Jags aren't going to win 12 plus games just because of Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, and a much improved defense. Even with that, they only went 5-11 last year. They can't get that much better with a few players. The Texans went out to grab Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller in free agency, and rounded out some rough edges on offense in the draft. Yes, they have JJ Watt. But will this put them out of reach for a team with one of the most high-octane offenses in the NFL. Doubtfully. And the Titans are going to do well a few years from now, but currently, they aren't anywhere threatening. With Luck back healthy, a better line, and Chud, we should go back to sweeping the division easily. 

Thanks for reading. This took me so long to write up so I hope you all enjoy! All you have to do now is believe! Here We Come, Super Bowl 51!!! GO BLUE!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Just take a look around the internet at all the haters who don't even think the Colts will make the playoffs this year. It's astounding how many people have lost faith in the franchise after a year riddled with injuries. They must not have considered how we still almost won the division (Read Here). I'm confident that the Colts still have a strong hold on the division, and even that we will make the Super Bowl. Don't believe me?? Here's 5 reasons why!

Looking back at last season, where we went 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs for the first time since Andrew Luck arrived, there is still reason to be positive. Luck is 3 for 3 on playoff appearances, not counting last year when he only played 7 of our 16 games. In his first three years, he led us to 11-5 records each season. That being said, I feel great about our chances of making the playoffs, even with the division rapidly improving. If Luck stays healthy (which he should behind a partially revamped line), who can't we beat??? Added to this the fact that Luck only played one game under new OC Rob Chudzinski (a win against the Super Bowl Champs), and you get a recipe for success!

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

Let's fly back a bit to mid-season last year. Sitting 3-5 after a devastating loss in OT to Carolina in a game we could have won, the front office decided to fire OC Pep Hamilton. This was quite a shocking move to make halfway through the year, with many people believing we were just giving up. Enter interim OC Rob Chudzinski. In his first week with the Colts, with a semi-healthy Luck and a game against the best defense in the NFL (and widely considered one of the best ever), every odd was stacked against him. What ended up happening was that we caught a glimpse of just how powerful the Colts offense could be. Luck threw for 252 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 21 of 39 completed passes without an interception, while also having a passer rating of 98.4, his best of the season. Gore scrambled for 83 yards and a TD on 28 carries, and the ball was very well distributed, with 4 players over 3 receptions. Luck only got sacked once, showing the offensive line was improved under Chud's quick-moving scheme. After that huge win over the eventual Super Bowl Champions, Chud soared. Over the rest of the year, he lead the crippled Colts offense to a 5-3 record, 4-3 without Luck. And who can forget his preparation of Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley in the regular season finale against the Titans. With Chud's high-octane offense and a healthy Luck next year, the sky is the limit for this offense.

Now I don't want to knock Irsay at all. He's a great man with good intentions. He's just not very good when it comes to drafts. This year feels different, though. Usually, with only 8 draft picks, Owners and GMs tend to get as many playmakers as possible. Many people have frowned upon the Colts getting 4 offensive linemen in the draft, as they aren't exactly "playmakers". When you stop watching the game and watch the line, though, that's when you begin to see the real "playmakers". Providing huge blocks, preventing sacks, running their hearts out down field to try to block anybody they can to extend the play, linemen make up the heart of big plays. While the ball carrier gets all the credit for making the play happen, the behemoth men up front quietly rejoin the huddle, hoping they can get the chance to make it happen again. Their pride comes from knowing how they set up a block to extend the run or stopped a pass rush to allow the quarter back to make the magic happen. That's why I think Irsay got the real "playmakers" in the draft. Kelly will be an immediate upgrade, while Clark has the potential to be a stud once fully developed. Haeg and Blythe also have potential to be good starters in a few years. Irsay did a great job this year, and with everyone saying that we need to protect Luck, I'm surprised how well he accomplished it. Great job, Irsay!!

Going into the draft, many people saw pass rush as one of our top two positions of need. They were right, but they are overreacting to how we didn't get on until the last round. We still have a starting duo next year, and with the collective 200+ sacks between Cole and Mathis, the rookies will learn a ton this year. Don't forget that the rookie LB group accumulated a combined total of 33.5 sacks in the 2015 season (and thats only among 5 players). Plus, the recent story about the Colts Pass Rush for 2016 reveals that through the last 6 weeks of 2015, we led the league with 21 sacks! The other overlooked addition in the offseason is Hassan Ridgeway, who totaled 6 sacks in 2014, Add the Okine move to OLB with 5.5 CFL sacks and we have a young group with 45 sacks in one year of college or the CFL. We are going to get after the QB this year, as well as many years to follow.

5) Our Division

Yes, the AFC South made a huge statement in the offseason with some big name acquisitions. Yes, the division does look a whole lot better than past years on paper. What you have to remember about this is our last offseason. We made huge waves in free agency, leading many to believe we would be the best team in the NFL. And if you recall, everyone was saying we looked "so much better on paper!" Boy were they wrong. This is the AFC South, where nothing ever seems to go right for anyone. The division won't blow up like everyone is saying. The Jags aren't going to win 12 plus games just because of Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, and a much improved defense. Even with that, they only went 5-11 last year. They can't get that much better with a few players. The Texans went out to grab Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller in free agency, and rounded out some rough edges on offense in the draft. Yes, they have JJ Watt. But will this put them out of reach for a team with one of the most high-octane offenses in the NFL. Doubtfully. And the Titans are going to do well a few years from now, but currently, they aren't anywhere threatening. With Luck back healthy, a better line, and Chud, we should go back to sweeping the division easily. 

Thanks for reading. This took me so long to write up so I hope you all enjoy! All you have to do now is believe! Here We Come, Super Bowl 51!!! GO BLUE!!!

Very well said.  Even though the outsiders don't think highly of us,  I prefer that we stay under the radar. I really don't care if they think the Jaguars will win the Super Bowl because of their acquisitions this off-season or the draft,  or the Texans because they got their QB in Osweiller,  or the Titans, but as long as we have a healthy Luck, I have confidence that we will be ruling the division for a very, very long time. 

I have us going 10-6 and winning the Division. I am not really sure why so many people and even many Colts fans are down on our team. I am banking on Andrew staying healthy which I think he will. I kind of love being the underdog, less pressure on us if a lot of people think we will stink.

5 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

5) Our Division

great post , I agree

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have us going 10-6 and winning the Division. I am not really sure why so many people and even many Colts fans are down on our team. I am banking on Andrew staying healthy which I think he will. I kind of love being the underdog, less pressure on us if a lot of people think we will stink.

Don't worry, those bandwagon fans and ESPN/NFL analysts will be right back on the train midway through the season. 

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

what makes you believe the owner is making draft selections?

Lol. I saw that later. Wrote that portion at midnight so I was very tired. I meant to fix it but by the time I noticed I didn't have editing privileges anymore.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think part on the answer to your comment is that so many wanted Grigson and Pagano fired and when that didn't happen they just want to be negative. Only time will give us those answers but Irsay weighed his options and made the choice. Agree or disagree Irsay went with what was here and made the choice not to go into a total rebuild.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

what makes you believe the owner is making draft selections?

Before the draft Irsay made it pretty clear on what he thought needed to be done. I am sure he wasn't responsible for the individual picks but it does seem the draft followed his thoughts. Bottom line it is the owner who OKs the picks in the end as he has last say in all things team related. He is the man just like every owner in the league is to their team.

Great post.  I think there is every reason to be optimistic.  The Colts have accomplished what they have with Pep Hamiltons overly complicated offense.  With a healthy Luck, Chud calling the plays, and some young defensive players like Anderson (when he is healthy) and Geathers, I think the Colts win the division easily.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Before the draft Irsay made it pretty clear on what he thought needed to be done. I am sure he wasn't responsible for the individual picks but it does seem the draft followed his thoughts. Bottom line it is the owner who OKs the picks in the end as he has last say in all things team related. He is the man just like every owner in the league is to their team.

He is the man, but that's not the way it works.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He is the man, but that's not the way it works.

So you know exactly how it works? He is the finale say so regardless of what you think. He may take advice from the GM or others but it is Irsay who has the last word and he is the one who finalizes the pick. If you think otherwise you are just being argumentative.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you know exactly how it works? He is the finale say so regardless of what you think. He may take advice from the GM or others but it is Irsay who has the last word and he is the one who finalizes the pick. If you think otherwise you are just being argumentative.

You should just shorten your handle to Crazy.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Once again, argumentative and lack of character.

Guy, you really need to get over when people disagree with you.  IF you want more appropriate responses stop using "no matter what you think" and "you're being argumentative."  If you signal that you are not open to a differing opinion, why would I give it to you?

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Guy, you really need to get over when people disagree with you.  IF you want more appropriate responses stop using "no matter what you think" and "you're being argumentative."  If you signal that you are not open to a differing opinion, why would I give it to you?

There is no different opinion of Irsay having the final say so in draft picks. I am sorry if you are so thin skinned that I must use just the right words for you so you will not get your panties all up in a bunch. You are the one who chose to throw out an insult to me and now you want to be the victim? You are a joke.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no different opinion of Irsay having the final say so in draft picks. I am sorry if you are so thin skinned that I must use just the right words for you so you will not get your panties all up in a bunch. You are the one who chose to throw out an insult to me and now you want to be the victim? You are a joke.

You are a hard one not to insult.  You practically beg for it.

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Only for you seems. If I really bother you that much I guess you can feel free to use the ignore feature. It's pretty easy.

yeah, I'm the only one that insults you......

3 hours ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

I see the colts going 12-4 with losses to the Jaguars (Week 4), Packers (Week 9), Steelers (Week 12), and the Raiders (Weeks 16). Our schedule is actually not that difficult. Really though I wanna say we go 14-2, but I am realistic.

Going against the nfc north and afc west and you say that is not difficult 

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I don't buy it. You guys are underrating our division.

Well we can no doubt go 4-2 in the Division which I have us going. I have us splitting with the Jags and Texans and sweeping the Titans which is very realistic. I still like our chances to go 10-6 if we stay healthy as a team which is very realistic as well.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, WarGhost21 said:

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

5) Our Division

Hold the phone!  I don't think for a second we should be a "favorite" to be in the SB conversation!  However, I'm certainly not on the doom and gloom bandwagon!  Only time will tell how this team will fare.  I for one, am fairly optimistic!  I genuinely think we are headed in the right direction (especially with the revamped coaching staff and the dedication to the OL).  Of course we neglected on the pass rush, but I can honestly say, that is okay!  OL is BY FAR WAY MORE IMPORTANT, despite what any analyst or fan thinks.  If you have a QB such as Luck, and need to cater to his needs, OL is the second most important thing.  We do have playmakers at WR TE & RB!  However, none of that will reach full potential if the OL can't do it's job.  For once, Grigson/Irsay sold out, to accomplish what needed to be done, first and foremost (after the 2012 draft class) and that is, solidy the OL!!

On defense, there are some playmakers.  Vontae is a top tier corner!  Last season, wasn't a good example because of the state of the franchise and personal injuries.  Now we have Robinson, Butler, and perhaps D Smith could even step up!  I will take it to the bank our CB's will get the job done.  In the S position, I believe Adams still has a decent season left in him.  Hopefully Geathers can build on where he left off, then the S out of Clemson can step up in a season or 2.  Pass rush wise, it isn't looking good.  Have no fear because truth be told the front 3 will create pressure!  With Anderson and Jones coming back, along with a new DT they will have a solid rotation.  People neglect the front 3 created the most pressure in the league the last few games of the season (w/o jones and Anderson to say the least)

Next draft MUST focus on LB's (outside and inside), because they are all old.  I would say, take the same approach as they did this season with the OL.  Definitely at that time the Colts would be an overwhelming favorite in the AFC.  The updated coaching staff being in their 2nd year.  Luck and company being in the midst of their prime, and a few young contributers on the OL/LB corp.  IMO, sure recipe for success! 

On May 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM, WarGhost21 said:

2) Chuuuuuuud!!!!!!

5) Our Division

So a team that in your words "finally had a smart draft" and is relying on a crop of undrafted free agents to save its pass rush is now ready to win the Super Bowl this year.  That makes sense.  We will be fortunate if even one of those undrafted pass rushers becomes a significant contributor this season.  Most of these guys go undrafted for a reason although there are a few exceptions.  The point being all these guys' sacks accumulated in college and the CFL does not necessarily mean we now are loaded with guys who will get to the QB at the next level.  Most likely won't even make the team. 

How about these apples...until the Colts field a team that can actually beat New England and/or Pittsburgh they won't sniff the Super Bowl.  Hard to win the Super Bowl from the fetal position after having been pummeled into submission yet again. That's the cold reality.  When they show me they can actually do that..then I will actually allow myself to see them as a legit threat for the Super Bowl.  Until then...I love them but they are suspect. 

Colts lost their way temporarily.  The ship has been righted and we are headed in the right direction.  Dungy said to get back to fundamentals when he won the Super bowl and we are.  Offensive line is the perfect way to do that.  Proven coaches like philbin and Chud.  Coach, gm and owner had a no players meeting and settled issues.  Luck learned by watching MH operate Chuds offense.  

On 5/13/2016 at 6:21 AM, Chucklez said:

Personally, I think if we end up 10 - 6 we will have had a good season and it would probably just be enough to win the division.

Anything can happen after that. You just gotta be in it to win it.

Yeah Green Bay won the super bowl at 10-6.