Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars signed former Colts DE/OLB Bjoern Werner.

stitches

Might do better in their system and become a Bjoern again pass rusher but I doubt it. 

@Dustin called it right about he doesn't have the explosiveness to be a legit edge rusher at this level.

Now if he had been drafted lower and geared towards being a SAM backer... He'd probably still suck, but less.

9 minutes ago, MTC said:

Going to be interesting to see how he performs as a 4-3 DE.

Doubt he'll have Jerry Hughes production, but we'll see.

It also helps Jerry Hughes had Rex Ryan, and Rex loves getting after the QB. I doubt that same love and attention will be paid to Werner in Jacksonville, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I see how it is. Once Jacksonville moves to Europe, they need German players to promote NFL football.

Or maybe this signing is awful and I'm overthinking it.

Actually, that statement sounds like something that Goodell would put on legal NFL correspondence for all 32 franchises RMDY. 

Does this mean European Union fans can relieve themselves in those outdoor urinals sorry stadium fan pools too once they relocate? haha Sorry my bad. Come on. It reminds me of a frat party in college. Does the water change color when well you know? 

maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, MTC said:

I pray for the day I have to stop reading this sort of stuff.  Putting DE after his name isn't suddenly going to make Werner a better athlete.

42 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Were the Jaguars Bjoern yesterday? I don't get this signing at all

lolimsofunny

If they start playing Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild" I mean Bjorn To Be Wild" whenever Werner is introduced at home games, season ticket sales will plummet. 

Just sayin'....

I hope Mr. Werner came return to Germany with a bankable skill since football on an elite level isn't his forte. 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Were the Jaguars Bjoern yesterday? I don't get this signing at all

lolimsofunny

You could say with this signing, the Jaguars were BJOERN to be wild!

I'll be here all week.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I pray for the day I have to stop reading this sort of stuff.  Putting DE after his name isn't going to suddenly going to make Werner a better athlete.

I don't get all this "athlete" garbage. Plenty of players were good pass rushers who were not considered very athletic  (Reggie White immediately comes to mind). Werner was a bad pass rusher because he had no go to polished moves and does not have the great acceleration off the snap to make up for it.

14 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I don't get all this "athlete" garbage. Plenty of players were good pass rushers who were not considered very athletic  (Reggie White immediately comes to mind). Werner was a bad pass rusher because he had no go to polished moves and does not have the great acceleration off the snap to make up for it.

You mean the Reggie White that was a 300 lb plus defensive lineman and could throw around offensive lineman like they were soda cans?

when you are a 6'3 260ish edge rusher it's probably to your advantage to be a good athlete. And he lacks explosion off the snap?  Imagine that, a slow unathletic guy not having any explosion......

18 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Meh I just hope this doesn't come back to bite the Colts like a slew of Grigsons other moves......Unfortunately I have this idea that it will

You should ignore your ideas.

29 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I am just curious as to why you think Reggie White wasn't a good athlete? Dude was strong and had a first step that killed O-linemen. I think you could have found a better example to use to make your point myself.

39 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Reggie white was most certainly athletic. 

30 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You mean the Reggie White that was a 300 lb plus defensive lineman and could throw around offensive lineman like they were soda cans?

when you are a 6'3 260ish edge rusher it's probably to your advantage to be a good athlete. And he lacks explosion off the snap?  Imagine that, a slow unathletic guy not having any explosion......

You know, you're right Reggie White did throw around offensive linemen like soda cans BOTT. His swim & bull rush moves back in 1996 were awesome to watch. QB Drew Bledsoe had no chance. 

For such a big man, his 1st step was deadly. His wing span was enormous too. Jesus Reggie had thick, long, & bulging arms.

He grabbed QBs like my dad did me when I made him mad as a little kid. Translation: Both Reggie & my old man closed distance in a hurry. LOL! 

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Good point, Bad comparison with White....Embarrassingly bad for me actually . But Bruce Smith is a good comparison with similar height/weight, He ran a faster 40 (I read from multiple sites 4.71 though still not sure that's accurate). Cant find any of his other measurable other then the 40....But regardless those measurable don't make a good pass rusher

Werner is listed at 6'3" 255lbs currently on the Jags site. Smith was listed at 6'5" 265lbs. Neither of which is a dramatic weight/height difference

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am just curious as to why you think Reggie White wasn't a good athlete? Dude was strong and had a first step that killed O-linemen. I think you could have found a better example to use to make your point myself.

I could have but that's what you get when you don't take the time to do that (Horrible comparison by me). I don't think he had a great first step though. It was obviously enough but I don't think he was Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis...Or in more recent years Leonard Floyd/Shane Ray/Jerry Hughes in that regard

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Good point, Bad comparison with White....Embarrassingly bad for me actually . But Bruce Smith is a good comparison with similar height/weight, He ran a faster 40 (I read from multiple sites 4.71 though still not sure that's accurate). Cant find any of his other measurable other then the 40....But regardless those measurable don't make a good pass rusher

Werner is listed at 6'3" 255lbs currently on the Jags site. Smith was listed at 6'5" 265lbs. Neither of which is a dramatic weight/height difference

things Bruce Smith and Werner ave in common....

1) both played in the NFL

29 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I could have but that's what you get when you don't take the time to do that (Horrible comparison by me). I don't think he had a great first step though. It was obviously enough but I don't think he was Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis...Or in more recent years Leonard Floyd/Shane Ray/Jerry Hughes in that regard

It's debatable how much emphasis White deserves for his 1st step. I can water down that point if you want, but it's kind of unfair to bring up both Freeney & Mathis because very few pass rushers can torque or bend their body for leverage like Dwight & Robert can. Reggie White at 6 ft. 5 in. tall & 300 pounds wasn't as flexible as those Colts pass rushers were. 

It also depends on your definition of athletic. Reggie never had lightning quick stop watch speed, but with his body mass, large hands, & long arms for leverage it didn't really matter. 

Don't fret about what you deem a horrible comparison Gavin. You're not stupid; you know football. I will always checkout whatever you say regardless. 

PS I say stupid stuff all the time. The trick is not to give a darn & keep charging ahead. Works for me man. It's all good. 

6 hours ago, MTC said:

Jerry Hughes is overrated as heck.

2 years with 10 sacks, last year he had 5. Far from Von Miller, more like Paul Kruger at best.

And also, he plays in a front 7 with Kyle and Mario Williams, Marcelle Dareus. Put him in an average front 7 and we'll see how he does.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Jerry Hughes is overrated as heck.

2 years with 10 sacks, last year he had 5. Far from Von Miller, more like Paul Kruger at best.

And also, he plays in a front 7 with Kyle and Mario Williams, Marcelle Dareus. Put him in an average front 7 and we'll see how he does.

Its not just about sacks he gets. He gets a lot of pressure and QB hits.

Dwight Freeney had Robert Mathis.......Want to tell one of them they are overrated because they had the other to help them out?

What about Robert Quinn? The Rams D Line is one of the best in the NFL

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

They are probably just kicking the tires.  He could very well be a camp body.

They arn't looking to sign starters this late in the game.  

Maybe they're shooting the German language version of Rudy? 

I feel somewhat cruel for ripping on Bjoern so much, he wasn't ever a problem ,was a solid team guy... just couldn't make the leap to the NFL.