Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green/Blythe

JohnnyP

So, i watched a couple of games last night with TJ Green.  ...first game i put on was the bama game.  ....oh brother....I'm sure he won't ever watch that tape again.  ...just an awful performance by him.  ...he was getting knocked all around the field, blew coverage twice for TDs ....and looks like he can't tackle ....field awareness was poor as well.  ....He wasn't exactly good in the Louisville game either.  ..he gets a sack where he wasn't even touched going to the QB.

I don't typically like looking at the "Highlight" tapes out there on YouTube... .but i figured maybe i'd see something that impressed me  ....but even the highlight reel didn't do him any favors.  ...i hope i'm wrong, but i'm not liking the TJ Green pick in RD2.  I'm wondering if if the size/speed thing is what got him drafted so high.....which, to me, would be a ridiculous reason to put stock in a guy. ....does the tape show the guy can play football??

Blythe: Watched a few games of Blythe and have to say i was doing cartwheels in my living room.  i think we've got ourselves a player here.  The guy knows how to get good leverage when blocking and has good instincts. ....plays hard as well. ....absolutely love this pick!  ...would love to see him at RG.  ...to be honest, i like him more than the Clark pick.

At the very least, we've made great strides at getting the OL solidified. ...and having depth to go with it.

I did the same thing as you for Green and came to the same conclusion.  I was told he was drafted based on his potential.  That he's only played the position for a short time, etc.  That's an excuse to draft a guy in the 4th round and take a chance on him IMO.

But here's the way I look at it now, and this may work for you:

If we would have drafted him in the 4th or later rounds, we would have been happy to have a guy with potentially a great upside.  Someone who our coaches could turn into a hybrid S/CB that really makes an impact on D.

Well, the draft is over, he's on the team, and no one's draft pick number matters anymore.  It doesn't matter if he was a 1st rounder or UDFA, he has to prove it on the field now.  The 'could have had...' logic is useless.

I'm rooting for him and hoping that what our coaches saw (and many other coaches and scouts in the league) comes out on the field.  

37 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

So, i watched a couple of games last night with TJ Green.  ...first game i put on was the bama game.  ....oh brother....I'm sure he won't ever watch that tape again.  ...just an awful performance by him.  ...he was getting knocked all around the field, blew coverage twice for TDs ....and looks like he can't tackle ....field awareness was poor as well.  ....He wasn't exactly good in the Louisville game either.  ..he gets a sack where he wasn't even touched going to the QB.

I don't typically like looking at the "Highlight" tapes out there on YouTube... .but i figured maybe i'd see something that impressed me  ....but even the highlight reel didn't do him any favors.  ...i hope i'm wrong, but i'm not liking the TJ Green pick in RD2.  I'm wondering if if the size/speed thing is what got him drafted so high.....which, to me, would be a ridiculous reason to put stock in a guy. ....does the tape show the guy can play football??

Blythe: Watched a few games of Blythe and have to say i was doing cartwheels in my living room.  i think we've got ourselves a player here.  The guy knows how to get good leverage when blocking and has good instincts. ....plays hard as well. ....absolutely love this pick!  ...would love to see him at RG.  ...to be honest, i like him more than the Clark pick.

At the very least, we've made great strides at getting the OL solidified. ...and having depth to go with it.

I really thought the Cots had a great draft and I had talked myself into even liking the Green pick. As I think back at watching those tapes , I think I have to be honest and say that I hate the pick too. Hope I'm wrong 

I have the feeling we are going to totally get burnt with the TJ Green pick. I'll eat my words happily if he turns out to be half way decent. I think Grigs/Pagano were just awed by his speed, but is essentially a guy who will probably not get many snaps this year unless there is an injury. I'm sure he will be a good special teamer right off the bat, though!

I really think he was chosen for his potential and will be added in only when he can get up to speed. His short stent with defense is also a reason he looks lost at times. Here is a guy that played WR since he was in high school or before. So he is in a transition period

Blythe is listed as a center only and doesnt have the frame for guard

i agree in a sense that you should be drafted as high as you played in college... but he didnt even start his career at S he played WR then made the transition in college not a easy transition and ehhh maybe not even extremely hard but hes only been playing the position for a couple years..you cant teach what that kid has! arguably 2nd best athlete in this draft after Jalen... you can teach football/positions his natural athleticism will take care of the rest.. high risk high reward he still has a chance to learn behind Mike and learn from our db whisperer... not to mention his DB room has VD in it lol hes gonna learn to cover!

Drafts that play it 100% safe aren't usually that good .  There's an adage in scouting that you can teach a great athlete to be a football player, but you can't teach anyone to be a great athlete (paraphrasing from memory).  GMs largely live by this, preferring to find great athletes who haven't met their football potential yet.  We'll see guys like Scooby Wright (great college football players without the athleticism to succeed in the pros) fall by the wayside, while many more athletic guys will make it in the pros.  I hope Green becomes one of the latter, because he definitely had a lot to learn judging from his college tape.

23 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I would have agreed with you last year, but Philbin's putative ZBS has turned everything widdershins for us at OG.  Supposedly, we'll prefer smaller, more mobile guards over bigger, stronger ones.  We'll see if Philbin is actually planning a big move towards ZBS, and if so, Blythe could very easily be a versatile interior lineman.

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

I would have agreed with you last year, but Philbin's putative ZBS has turned everything widdershins for us at OG.  Supposedly, we'll prefer smaller, more mobile guards over bigger, stronger ones.  We'll see if Philbin is actually planning a big move towards ZBS, and if so, Blythe could very easily be a versatile interior lineman.

Like, just for using putative in a sentence.  

You guys are really going to have to stop looking up tape from our draft picks, finding a really bad tape, and then saying its a terrible pick.

This is literally the exact same argument being used against Morrison. "I saw the Alabama tape and he was bad" so he was a bad pick.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

I have the feeling we are going to totally get burnt with the TJ Green pick. I'll eat my words happily if he turns out to be half way decent. I think Grigs/Pagano were just awed by his speed, but is essentially a guy who will probably not get many snaps this year unless there is an injury. I'm sure he will be a good special teamer right off the bat, though!

I hope you're right and he doesn't see much in the way of playing time this year, he's very raw and would get torched by NFL WRs. Maybe going up against Hilton/Moncrief/Dorsett in practice will whip him into shape, and he'll develop into a decent S, but I think he definitely needs a year of getting coached up.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I really think he was chosen for his potential and will be added in only when he can get up to speed. His short stent with defense is also a reason he looks lost at times. Here is a guy that played WR since he was in high school or before. So he is in a transition period

He played some guard in college.  I wouldn't put too much stock in what they are listed at right now.  

And also the switch to ZBS means what's required of or OL is different. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You guys are really going to have to stop looking up tape from our draft picks, finding a really bad tape, and then saying its a terrible pick.

This is literally the exact same argument being used against Morrison. "I saw the Alabama tape and he was bad" so he was a bad pick.

To be fair the OP also watched a game against Louisville which is not near the competition level of 'bama.  I could go with you that 'Bama tends to make everyone look bad.  But not Louisville.  

I don't like this pick.  He's athletic but there is no evidence that he can actually play the position. 

Maybe a few of you guys just don't have any faith of our coaches. There is a long list of rookie who didn't start out being NFL ready but after being coached up and learning how to play in the NFL things change. Fans just look at if a player played good and if he didn't assume he is a bad pick. Scouts and coached look at different things than fans. There are not too many rookies who come into the league and play all that good. The will make good plays at times but then look like rookies till they learn. The old saying is you cant judge a draft class till a couple of years has always been true and it is no difference today.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I never said he was a terrible pick.  ...just expressing concern from what i saw.  Having a couple of bad games happens. ...but when you look at a player that looks like he's completely lost out there, it doesn't instill much confidence he's going to be a good contributor to this team.  ....great players don't look as consistently bad as he does on tape.

55 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

I never said he was a terrible pick.  ...just expressing concern from what i saw.  Having a couple of bad games happens. ...but when you look at a player that looks like he's completely lost out there, it doesn't instill much confidence he's going to be a good contributor to this team.  ....great players don't look as consistently bad as he does on tape.

Take a look at JJ Watts college write ups and tape on him in college. You might have a different outlook? I am not saying Green is going to even close to a player like JJ Watt but like I said, scouts and coaches look at different things than fans do.

I like the pick but it puts a lot of pressure on Pagano and the staff.  He's a raw, ball of clay that can basically redshirt this year behind Adams, with the potential to be a game-changer in 2017.  Now it's time to see what the staff can get out of him.

Ive actually grown to like the Green pick more and more. Sure he has learning to do (what draft pick doesn't?) but theres a reason his stock shot sky high. Yes hes not great in coverage, but Pagano has done a pretty solid job with DBs, and Green also will be getting help from Mike Adams as well. If there is a team that can help him reach his full potential it is the colts...

6 hours ago, JohnnyP said:

Agree on both points. Blythe makes the team IMO. He's not perfect, he lacks some physical tools which is why he went in round 7. He did not lack the production and skill to be a higher pick.

When we picked Green, I got flashbacks of last year when we picked D'Joun Smith as early as we did. I know Gruden LOVED Smith, but once he got on the field, he was TERRIBLE. Then Smith got "injured" and placed on IR, which was actually merciful for how lost and bad he was. I remember right after the draft last year, Grigs and Pagano were SO pumped about the Smith pick and were really impressed with his cocky self-confidence. Now they picked another self-confident DB who, in many people's opinion, got picked way too early. I just hope that we can get something out of Green this year, instead of realizing that he is not NFL ready, causing us to have to stash him for next year, like we did with Smith.

How many times do people have to get told that Green will mostly be playing Dime and Nickel linebacker this year?  If Geathers can do that role I'm quite sure Green can as well.  Between that and special teams Green will get plenty of playing time this year.  He'll do everything and probably a little more than what Geathers did last year which wasn't real complicated.  I'm confident he'll be fine in that role.  

I could see if they were throwing him to the wolves as the starting Safety next to Geathers and saying "Good Luck Buddy!"  They are giving him a role he can perform well with to get experience while learning behind Adams and Geathers until next season. Plus he'll get plenty of work on special teams as well.  However I do think an injury here or there is likely to happen this year so he may get thrown in the fire quicker than planned.

Green could return kicks from game 1, but I think we need a gunner more...  im willing to bet he could do that, too. 

Coach him up and I like his potential at S. 

I still think that there's a puncher's chance that Blythe ends up at C with Kelly at G... Not likely, but still possible. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

How many times do people have to get told that Green will mostly be playing Dime and Nickel linebacker this year?  If Geathers can do that role I'm quite sure Green can as well.  Between that and special teams Green will get plenty of playing time this year.  He'll do everything and probably a little more than what Geathers did last year which wasn't real complicated.  I'm confident he'll be fine in that role.  

I could see if they were throwing him to the wolves as the starting Safety next to Geathers and saying "Good Luck Buddy!"  They are giving him a role he can perform well with to get experience while learning behind Adams and Geathers until next season. Plus he'll get plenty of work on special teams as well.  However I do think an injury here or there is likely to happen this year so he may get thrown in the fire quicker than planned.

I don't know about time at safety. Special teams I can see. He needs "plenty of work"

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Geathers played snaps at safety last year so why wouldnt Green get snaps at safety?

Maybe because Geathers actually knows how to play the spot and is easily 2 years or so ahead of Green as a rookie...

Just maybe...

3 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Maybe because Geathers actually knows how to play the spot and is easily 2 years or so ahead of Green as a rookie...

Just maybe...

Well obviously Geathers is a bit more experienced at safety, but theres very little reason to think Green wont get playing time on D next year.

Like someone above stated, Green will probably play a similar role to that of what Geathers did last year.

I wanna know how good are the coaches at Clemson?  Was he that bad due to coaching and a position change from WR to DB?  Were they not teaching him correctly?  Or is he just that bad?  Also, he isn't being drafted merely to play DB, he is also here for ST.  Now you can make an argument that round 2 is too high for a ST guy, but I suspect they have more in mind for the future and that ST will merely be his starting point.  Only time will tell if they are right or wrong.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I wanna know how good are the coaches at Clemson?  Was he that bad due to coaching and a position change from WR to DB?  Were they not teaching him correctly?  Or is he just that bad?  Also, he isn't being drafted merely to play DB, he is also here for ST.  Now you can make an argument that round 2 is too high for a ST guy, but I suspect they have more in mind for the future and that ST will merely be his starting point.  Only time will tell if they are right or wrong.

I would venture to say him not playing as good as you say might just be he hasn't played the position that long. He will be like any other rookie. Hard work by him and the coaches will determine how much and where he plays. His talent level earned his second round pick and I don't care where he was drafted if his potential can be brought out.

Unfortunately TJ reminds me of Landry all over again. Another "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy. Landry also ran like the wind, he also got burnt in coverage and missed more tackles than he made. TJ had a great benefit of playing with a team that had great DE's that didn't give the QB or WR's much time. I hope I'm wrong, but he's Landry part II..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Unfortunately TJ reminds me of Landry all over again. Another "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy. Landry also ran like the wind, he also got burnt in coverage and missed more tackles than he made. TJ had a great benefit of playing with a team that had great DE's that didn't give the QB or WR's much time. I hope I'm wrong, but he's Landry part II..

I think that's a little premature at this point to assume that.

There is one thing that coaches can't teach, and that is instincts.  That has gotten more than a few players through their NFL careers when they are undersized, not as fast, or what ever else was a problem.  I would rather have a little slower player that gets the job done rather than a speedster that can't get to the spot of the play.