Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everett Golson lands tryout with Colts

zibby43

The kid was special at Notre Dame.  He can run and has a big-time NFL arm.  I'm talking an absolute cannon.

His decision to transfer to Florida State really doomed him.  Although he did leave ND with his degree.

Having watched him play (including many times live), if Golson takes the tryout opportunity seriously, he could be a very viable backup QB for the Colts for years to come. 

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/everett-golson-lands-tryout-opportunity-with-indianapolis-colts/article_3bca816e-1300-11e6-a4ed-0f9ade83d0f3.html

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The kid was special at Notre Dame.  He can run and has a big-time NFL arm.  I'm talking an absolute cannon.

His decision to transfer to Florida State really doomed him.  Although he did leave ND with his degree.

Having watched him play (including many times live), if Golson takes the tryout opportunity seriously, he could be a very viable backup QB for the Colts for years to come. 

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/everett-golson-lands-tryout-opportunity-with-indianapolis-colts/article_3bca816e-1300-11e6-a4ed-0f9ade83d0f3.html

I am going to guess you are an ND fan because only an ND fan write this over-the-top review of his abilities.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I am going to guess you are an ND fan because only an ND fan write this over-the-top review of his abilities.

Where was my review "over-the-top"?  All I said was that he was mobile, has excellent arm strength, and was on track for a special career prior to transferring to FSU.

He took ND to the title game as a FR in 2012.  In 2014, in his second year of playing (after sitting out a year), Golson posted a 143.6 rating, threw for 29 TDs, 3,445 yards, with a 60% completion percentage.

Any scouting report you'll read on him says he has plus arm strength. 

At his pro day, Golson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 and 4.89 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-6 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.25 seconds.

So, for a QB, he can run. 

Where was my review "over-the-top"?  All I said was that he was mobile, has excellent arm strength, and was on track for a special career prior to transferring to FSU.

He took ND to the title game as a FR in 2012.  In 2014, in his second year of playing (after sitting out a year), Golson posted a 143.6 rating, threw for 29 TDs, 3,445 yards, with a 60% completion percentage.

Any scouting report you'll read on him says he has plus arm strength. 

At his pro day, Golson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 and 4.89 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-6 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.25 seconds.

So, for a QB, he can run. 

Dear God...

Noticed you conveniently left out "turnover machine" in your analysis.

And being on track for a special ND career apparently means getting kicked out of school for academic cheating and the coaching staff not really wanting him back after his 2014 season.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I'm a Notre Dame homer,  and I was glad to see him transfer to FSU

17 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

Noticed you conveniently left out "turnover machine" in your analysis.

And being on track for a special ND career apparently means getting kicked out of school for academic cheating and the coaching staff not really wanting him back after his 2014 season.

Golson had some fumbling issues during the final 6 games of the 2014 season.  The entire team became a turnover machine (minus the defense).  Golson was firmly in the Heisman discussion prior to the entire team, particularly the defense, imploding during the back half of the schedule.

If someone saw Luck play just last season, that person may conclude that Luck is a turnover machine.

Also, did I * in your Cheerios or something?  I don't know why you're borderline personally attacking me for posting information on a message board.

If Golson has no redeeming qualities, why did the Colts offer him a tryout?

Finally, who cares about the academic misconduct crap.  He sat out an entire season and came back after it.  He paid for his transgression.  Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, and Manziel have all had much worse off-the-field transgressions.  That's 3 QBs off the top of my head.

And Golson came within an OPI of beating Famous Jameis at FSU.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Golson had some fumbling issues during the final 6 games of the 2014 season.  The entire team became a turnover machine (minus the defense).  Golson was firmly in the Heisman discussion prior to the entire team, particularly the defense, imploding during the back half of the schedule.

If someone saw Luck play just last season, that person may conclude that Luck is a turnover machine.

Also, did I * in your Cheerios or something?  I don't know why you're borderline personally attacking me for posting information on a message board.

Finally, who cares about the academic misconduct crap.  He sat out an entire season and came back after it.  He paid for his transgression.  Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, and Manziel have all had much worse off-the-field transgressions.  That's 3 QBs off the top of my head.

Good grief.  Borderline attacking you?  I simply have a different (and correct) opinion of Golson and said as much.  All I pointed out is that your analysis of his talents was remarkably one-sided and left out his short-comings, off which there are many.

You can stop giving me his resume.  1) I watch football and already know it and 2) I don't care.  He was a decent college payer but nothing special.  The Colts giving him a tryout will very likely lead to the same conclusion.  All they are doing is seeing if they can catch lightning in a bottle and hit on something but the odds are very long that they won't and they already know it.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Most of the ND fans were happy when Golson left. He may very well be a OK QB but because someone brought up some facts that is in the picture you call it being personally attacked?  All that was said to you is something you omitted. Then your drag Luck into your reply? Sorry zibby you need to lighten up. If you felt you were being attacked over what was said to you, you are in the wrong place.

Jimbo Fisher is the QB whisper, and he gave up on Golson after the GT game. The reason why the Noles put him in charge was his experience and because of Dalvin Cook taking the load. After he reverted into the turnover machine and missed many wide open targets against GT he was done. He saw the writing on the wall at ND and went to FSU, he couldn't cut it there either. We have much better options, MUCH better..

11 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Good grief.  Borderline attacking you?  I simply have a different (and correct) opinion of Golson and said as much.  All I pointed out is that your analysis of his talents was remarkably one-sided and left out his short-comings, off which there are many.

You can stop giving me his resume.  1) I watch football and already know it and 2) I don't care.  He was a decent college payer but nothing special.  The Colts giving him a tryout will very likely lead to the same conclusion.  All they are doing is seeing if they can catch lightning in a bottle and hit on something but the odds are very long that they won't and they already know it.

No, you first pointed out that my review of his abilities was "over-the-top."  I really don't think it was.  All I mentioned were two traits of his that are relevant in the NFL: arm strength and the ability to move.

Golson has above average NFL arm strength, despite being undersized at 5'11".  That's a fact.  I can post the tape and scouting reports that substantiate that claim.

Furthermore, Golson took ND to a national championship appearance his FR year.  That's rare in college football.  That, combined with the fact that was having one of the best years, statistically, of any QB in college through the first 6 games of the 2014 season led me to conclude he was a special player in his time at ND.

My point was that you don't have to start your posts with "Dear God, or Good grief," just because you happen to disagree with my opinion.  It's condescending.  I just expected adults to be able to disagree with a bit more tact.

Your point about his turnover issues is a fair one. 

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Most of the ND fans were happy when Golson left. He may very well be a OK QB but because someone brought up some facts that is in the picture you call it being personally attacked?  All that was said to you is something you omitted. Then your drag Luck into your reply? Sorry zibby you need to lighten up. If you felt you were being attacked over what was said to you, you are in the wrong place.

See above.  I am able to disagree with someone's opinion without beginning my posts in a condescending manner (e.g., "Dear God . . . Good grief").  I try to be respectful to everyone on here, regardless of whether I agree/disagree with his or her opinion.

I expect the same in return.  Perhaps my expectations for the board are too high.

Seminoles fan here - Jimbo Fisher is a flipping *. That doesn't let Golson off the hook exactly but I think he's underrated. Every quarterback that's ever played for him is a head case. Jameis is no different. The only difference he has with his other quarterbacks is that he won alot and that had more to do with us playing teams like Georgia Southern and a top defense than people want to admit.

His passing plays that he's obsessed with are like something out of NFL Blitz and he refuses to adjust at halftime. We finally didn't abandon the run last year but then as soon as Clemson stopped Cook on that 4th down to lose that game he lost confidence in the run. He wants to have a legacy as a QB Whisperer but that he just is not.

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Seminoles fan here - Jimbo Fisher is a flipping *. That doesn't let Golson off the hook exactly but I think he's underrated. Every quarterback that's ever played for him is a head case. Jameis is no different. The only difference he has with his other quarterbacks is that he won alot and that had more to do with us playing teams like Georgia Southern and a top defense than people want to admit.

His passing plays that he's obsessed with are like something out of NFL Blitz and he refuses to adjust at halftime. We finally didn't abandon the run last year but then as soon as Clemson stopped Cook on that 4th down to lose that game he lost confidence in the run. He wants to have a legacy as a QB Whisperer but that he just is not.

Completely agree.

One of Golson's weaknesses was his ability (or inability, rather) to take criticism from his coaches.  Kelly really babied him and Jimbo just didn't put up with Golson's attitude as the season wore on (at least that's how it appeared from afar).

Appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks for posting.  I didn't get to see Golson play as much last year.  But I rooted for the kid.  A lot of the ND fans soured on Golson as soon as he decided to transfer but I hold nothing against him.  He sat out a year and came back to ND, and he left ND with his degree.  I wish nothing but the best for him.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not trying to be sarcastic, this is an honest question.  Is he trying out at QB?

Yes sir, that is my understanding based upon all the sources I've read. 

Some people are already giving up on Golson as a potential option and I'll admit he's far from a lock at the backup QB position but I believe he's infinitely better, from a pure talent/physical perspective than the old, banged up version of Matty H, Freeman, Clipboard Jesus, and Lindley. 

The advantage the aforementioned QBs possess is experience.  I could not believe people were ready to crown either Freeman or Lindley suitable long-term solutions at the backup QB position after literally less than a full game (as neither Freeman or Lindley played the entirety of offensive snaps).

Golson's mobile and he can make all the throws present in an NFL offense (deep outs/hitches, etc.).  Whether he will be mature enough to work hard and accept coaching will be the determining factor.  He had turnover (fumbling, not INT) issues the last 6 games of his second-to-last year but turnovers are correctable.  Most of Golson's fumbles came as a runner during scrambles.

11 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Yes sir, that is my understanding based upon all the sources I've read. 

Some people are already giving up on Golson as a potential option and I'll admit he's far from a lock at the backup QB position but I believe he's infinitely better, from a pure talent/physical perspective than the old, banged up version of Matty H, Freeman, Clipboard Jesus, and Lindley. 

The advantage the aforementioned QBs possess is experience.  I could not believe people were ready to crown either Freeman or Lindley suitable long-term solutions at the backup QB position after literally less than a full game (as neither Freeman or Lindley played the entirety of offensive snaps).

Golson's mobile and he can make all the throws present in an NFL offense (deep outs/hitches, etc.).  Whether he will be mature enough to work hard and accept coaching will be the determining factor.  He had turnover (fumbling, not INT) issues the last 6 games of his second-to-last year but turnovers are correctable.  Most of Golson's fumbles came as a runner during scrambles.

Are you sure you watched his final season at ND?  He certainly did have an interception problem

I'm an ND fan and while I appreciated his time as the Irish QB I'm not sure if he translated to the NFL many said at best he could be Russell Wilson but again he was a turnover machine. I think he could change for the better if he's willing to with the right team/coach.

Doubt he fits here though and ND hasn't produced a solid QB for the NFL since Steve Beurlein.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you sure you watched his final season at ND?  He certainly did have an interception problem

I did.  In fact, I just recently re-watched the 2014 and 2015 seasons.  The vast majority of his INTs in '14 (14 total INTs) were not bonehead throws.  They came off of dropped/tipped passes, passes deflected by linemen at the LOS, etc.  And a chunk of them came during the nightmare ASU game.  He had 4 total INTs that game. 

At least 2 of them came via his receivers dropping/tipping balls (Corey Robinson let one INT slip through his fingers and it bounced off of his shoulder pads and straight into the hands of an ASU DB).

Golson had some ill-timed INTs in other games but his worst problem was fumbling at the end of a scramble or while trying to extend a play outside the pocket.

He still finished the season with 29 passing TDs against 14 INTs.  He had 6 INTs the year before and 3 INTs his final year. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Golson was about to be benched for Kiel before Kiel transfered. Just saying

Kiel transferred in '13, the year Golson sat out. 

Golson played the entirety of '12 and was spelled occasionally by Tommy Rees. 

Kiel never sniffed the field at ND.  He never even received a snap in mop up time.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Kiel transferred in '13, the year Golson sat out. 

Golson played the entirety of '12 and was spelled occasionally by Tommy Rees. 

Kiel never sniffed the field at ND.  He never even received a snap in mop up time.

Correct. 

You missed the point. 

I see nothing special with this guy and to be honest, I don't think he can beat the others out to be Luck's back up

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not trying to be sarcastic, this is an honest question.  Is he trying out at QB?

it has to be, he does not play anything else. 

he would be short and slow at WR, not exactly a good combo. 

36 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Uh,,,,  no

Umm yeah, only reason Kiel wasn't a starter was because he was redshirted his freshman year, 

What sucks for Gunner is the head injuries he took at Cincinnati, doubt we'll ever see him go pro.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Umm yeah, only reason Kiel wasn't a starter was because he was redshirted his freshman year, 

What sucks for Gunner is the head injuries he took at Cincinnati, doubt we'll ever see him go pro.

Gunner was deep on the depth chart.   A long shot to ever be a starter.   That's why he transferred 

Golson is a horrible QB.  He cracks under pressure, he coughs up the ball like he's allergic to it, he makes poor decisions, his accuracy less than 15 yards is horrible and it's even worse greater than 15 yards.

So yeah, let's hope the Colts sign him. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Beware of guys with cannons for arms  --- Jeff George, Jay Cutler.............................

Given that we're only looking for a backup here, Jay Cutler doesn't sound too bad.  

In fact if we had Jay Cutler as our backup, we'd have the best backup QB in the league. 

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Given that we're only looking for a backup here, Jay Cutler doesn't sound too bad.  

In fact if we had Jay Cutler as our backup, we'd have the best backup QB in the league. 

true statement.  we need a backup for sure.  I think luck will get dinged a few times this year with our division opponents and their nasty D, and we play some nasty D outside of our division as well.  Our o-line will be put to the test early and often.

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Golson is a horrible QB.  He cracks under pressure, he coughs up the ball like he's allergic to it, he makes poor decisions, his accuracy less than 15 yards is horrible and it's even worse greater than 15 yards.

So yeah, let's hope the Colts sign him. :rolleyes:

But he has a strong arm and almost beat Winston in 2014 if not for a pass interference penalty.

On 5/8/2016 at 6:29 AM, chrisfarley said:

Beware of guys with cannons for arms  --- Jeff George, Jay Cutler.............................

Jeff George....I think he still threw the prettiest passes I've ever seen.