Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Among Top UDFA Classes

Ace Boogie

We have one of the best ones, according to NFL.com. I know a lot of you already feel that way and we're usually among the best in the league when it comes to CFA's. Thought I'd share anyway. Interestingly enough, they didn't list Maggitt as one of the big pick ups.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659840/article/top-seven-undrafted-freeagent-classes-following-2016-nfl-draft

16 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

The winners of the leftovers and unwanteds.... yippeeeeee!

Let's wait until any of them make the 53 man roster before getting excited about this.

No disrespect intended here...just a difference in opinion, but I say let's get excited about all of them, until they are cut. It's more fun that way. Let's root for them because they are underdogs and 'feel good' stories.

Sure we can wait to see if they make the 53 man roster, and then wait to see if they play, and then wait till year 3 until we can really judge them -- or we can be fans and root for them now, because they are now Colts.

58 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Let's wait until any of them make the 53 man roster before getting excited about this.

One or two of them usually do make the final 53. We have even traded some in the past. 

On one hand, a person could argue that we have had great success with UDFA's. On the other hand, a person could argue if our roster was more talented, then these UDFA's would not be making the team as much.

The reality is that there is not much difference in talent between a 6th or 7th round pick, and a UDFA. In many cases the UDFA proves he should have been drafted instead of the 6th or 7th round pick.

Here are some previous draft "leftovers" who have helped our team:

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Adams
Jack Doyle
Matt Overton
Zach Kerr
Josh McNary

Just now, BlueShoe said:

One or two of them usually do. We have even traded some in the past. 

On one hand, a person could argue that we have had great success with UDFA's. On the other hand, a person could argue if our roster was more talented, then these UDFA's would not be making the team as much.

The reality is that there is not much difference in talent between a 6th or 7th round pick, and a UDFA. In many cases the UDFA proves he should have been drafted instead of the 6th or 7th round pick.

Here are some previous draft leftovers who help our team:

Adam Vinatieri
Mike Adams
Jack Doyle
Matt Overton
Zach Kerr
Josh McNary
Junior Sylvestre

I know about our record with UDFA's making the roster, but my point is until they do something and make the team, I am not going to get too overhyped about some UDFAs.

33 minutes ago, Flash said:

No disrespect intended here...just a difference in opinion, but I say let's get excited about all of them, until they are cut. It's more fun that way. Let's root for them because they are underdogs and 'feel good' stories.

Sure we can wait to see if they make the 53 man roster, and then wait to see if they play, and then wait till year 3 until we can really judge them -- or we can be fans and root for them now, because they are now Colts.

And how much more do you enjoy the experience, because you rooted for them when all odds were against them? It makes it more enjoyable for me.

7 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I know about our record with UDFA's making the roster, but my point is until they do something and make the team, I am not going to get too overhyped about some UDFAs.

That is the beautiful thing about people. We all think differently. 

To some of us; UDFA's will be a large part of the discussion between now and September. 

I understand if someone doesn't want to participate in the discussion. However, people who do not want to participate in discussions usually don't. More often than not, people who find themselves in that dilemma usually move on to another discussion. That is what I usually do in those situations.  

52 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Now let's go kill some puppies..... geez lighten up Francis

24 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

And how much more do you enjoy the experience, because you rooted for them when all odds were against them? It makes it more enjoyable for me.

I don't see how somebody can be offended about getting excited over UDFA who might not make the team, but this same person or people talks about Mock Drafts and who the Colts will draft for months at a time only for the Colts to never draft any of the players that have been mocked or discussed!  That is a big waste of time to me, but many people here on this forum love the mere discussion of the issue and that's cool in itself.  Same thing applies for UDFA, some of us just like to discuss the topic and it's honestly slightly better because at least you know they are on your team even if but for a couple of months.  The people we do the mock drafts on, half the time don't even end up wearing a horse shoe at any point ever. But you will rarely hear anybody say it's a waste of time!

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't see how somebody can be offended about getting excited over UDFA who might not make the team, but this same person or people talks about Mock Drafts and who the Colts will draft for months at a time only for the Colts to never draft any of the players that have been mocked or discussed!  That is a big waste of time to me, but many people here on this forum love the mere discussion of the issue and that's cool in itself.  Same thing applies for UDFA, some of us just like to discuss the topic and it's honestly slightly better because at least you know they are on your team even if but for a couple of months.  The people we do the mock drafts on, half the time don't even end up wearing a horse shoe at any point ever.

I agree. If someone doesn't like the topic then they could easily move on to one they do like. I never understood the negativity surrounding Mocks and UDFA discussions. It is what most of like to do with our off-season time. 

Hell, if the Colts are not in the Super Bowl, then I would rather watch the draft.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree. If someone doesn't like the topic then they could easily move on to one they do like. I never understood the negativity surrounding Mocks and UDFA discussions. It is what most of like to do with our off-season time. 

Hell, if the Colts are not in the Super Bowl, then I would rather watch the draft.

At least with UDFA you pretty much know that at least 1 to maybe 3 of them will make the squad in some type of capacity.  That's just like gaining additional draft picks.  We though we drafted 8, but ended up with more than that because of the UDFA.  I'm excited about anybody that has the capacity to help the team this year.  I don't give a hot darn where the talent comes from!  1st round all the way down to UDFA the history says you can get ballers from all of them so why in the world would somebody toot there nose up at the possibility of a UDFA being a solid contributor to the football team?  I don't understand that type of thinking.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

At least with UDFA you pretty much know that at least 1 to maybe 3 of them will make the squad in some type of capacity.  That's just like gaining additional draft picks.  We though we drafted 8, but ended up with more than that because of the UDFA.  I'm excited about anybody that has the capacity to help the team this year.  I don't give a hot darn where the talent comes from!  1st round all the way down to UDFA the history says you can get ballers from all of them so why in the world would somebody toot there nose up at the possibility of a UDFA being a solid contributor to the football team?  I don't understand that type of thinking.

Preach it brother Krunk. :)

Heck, after camp starts you can ignore the round a player was drafted in or if he was a UDFA.  They have to prove it on the field.

We all know that the higher the draft pick, the more time and chances he's going to get to prove himself, but ultimately it comes down to play on the field.  One thing I give Grigson credit for, he's always trying to make the bottom of the roster stronger.

A few years ago I was one of the guys that thought a D3 player from Canada had to be camp fodder.  He ended up starting.  Jeff Saturday was not only undrafted, but cut by the Ravens.  Stuff happens.

Out of this group I like:

Josh Ferguson

Stefan Mclure

Curt Maggitt

Ron Thompson

Darian Griswold

I think these guys have a real solid chance to make the Colts Roster or at least the PS.  I think Mckale Mckay has very nice size, but I don't like his DHB hands.  If that doesn't improve then I can't see him making it.  Tevaun Smith looks okay, but I think we'll end up going with a veteran unless Smith just balls out the whole preseason and camp.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Josh Ferguson

Stefan Mclure

Curt Maggitt

Ron Thompson

Darian Griswold

I think these guys have a real solid chance to make the Colts Roster or at least the PS.  I think Mckale Mckay has very nice size, but I don't like his DHB hands.  If that doesn't improve then I can't see him making it.  Tevaun Smith looks okay, but I think we'll end up going with a veteran unless Smith just balls out the whole preseason and camp.

Assuming Bray is our #4, I think the next WR is whoever shows the most on STs.  They won't see the field much other than that.

Man, I can't wait for the preseason.  I'm from Ohio and thinking about taking a trip home in August just to watch the HoF game.  It's usually a horrible game and the starters may play one series.  But it would be the first chance to see the rookies.

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

Josh Ferguson

Stefan Mclure

Curt Maggitt

Ron Thompson

Darian Griswold

I really see some very nice potential in this class.  Would not surprise me  if there were several that made the team or PS. Only one that I would add is Simmons the 5 technique from USC.  I think he has some potential to make them team or at the least the PS.  Well maybe Davis the corner from Nebraska might be worth a spot on the PS as well.

4 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

I really see some very nice potential in this class.  Would not surprise me  if there were several that made the team or PS. Only one that I would add is Simmons the 5 technique from USC.  I think he has some potential to make them team or at the least the PS.  Well maybe Davis the corner from Nebraska might be worth a spot on the PS as well.

I forgot about Davies